Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

cpaf posted:

Is this even a proper terrorist attack yet? It's a hostage situation with no casualties, no bombs, no demands and the only indication it isn't anything more than a poorly-thought out hostage situation is the shahada flag. Right now it doesn't even compare to the likes of the Bali or London bombings or obviously the 9/11 attacks, outside of very questionable sources saying there are bombs everywhere in Sydney, and I don't see how this could prop up a disintegrating government for the next two years

cpaf posted:

Is this even a proper terrorist attack yet? It's a hostage situation with no casualties, no bombs, no demands and the only indication it isn't anything more than a poorly-thought out hostage situation is the shahada flag. Right now it doesn't even compare to the likes of the Bali or London bombings or obviously the 9/11 attacks, outside of very questionable sources saying there are bombs everywhere in Sydney, and I don't see how this could prop up a disintegrating government for the next two years

It's two idiots with guns and a flag. If they try anything they will be deader than 10 dead things. It's really nothing to worry about at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Scroller just said one person has been arrested?

cpaf posted:

Not really, at least not yet. It's probably a safe bet though.

e:one man has been arrested and people are being evacuated from the building.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Splode posted:

He is about to do a press thing, apparently. I'm ready for some duuuuuumb stuff!

Goodies and Baddies.

Also if this is in the CBD then wouldn't there be CCTV camera's everywhere? Why hasn't the suspect been narrowed down yet?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Murodese posted:

Lone gunman holds up cafe. If the flag wasn't there, this would've flown completely under the radar.

Not at this location, a pretty huge chunk of the CBD has been evacuated and/or sent home from work

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm betting this is going to end in a very Australian way with absolutely nothing dramatic happening and the guy agreeing to surrender.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

Lone gunman holds up cafe. If the flag wasn't there, this would've flown completely under the radar.

a siege in martin place would be pretty big news regardless because sydney

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
One guy arrested near scene, people apparently being evacuated (from Lindt? unsure)

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

katlington posted:

Scroller just said one person has been arrested?

Not really, at least not yet. It's probably a safe bet though.

e:one man has been arrested and people are being evacuated from the building.

I think they're talking about the one arrested during a raid before the hostage-taking this morning.

Edit: No, but unrelated to this incident.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 15, 2014

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

He was 200m away, apparently.

e; my fav twitter account:

Bolt Comments ‏@boltcomments 29s30 seconds ago
Apparantly they [Lindt] refused to make their products Halal

ee;
Bolt Comments ‏@boltcomments 16s16 seconds ago
The terrorists in Martin Place are likely genuine refugees or the children thereof, most likely bought in by Malcolm Fraser from Lebanon.

ee; he was unrelated

Murodese fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 15, 2014

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

The Prime Minister of Australia would not be giving a loving press conference about it at parliament house though

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

bell jar posted:

gently caress you

seriously how is this remotely humourous
Humour can be a healthy response to horror.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Murodese posted:

One guy arrested near scene, people apparently being evacuated (from Lindt? unsure)

e: Beaten like a suspected terrorist.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why? You said yourself we hardly ever see them, and never when they're not unequivocally called for.

It's good to be disturbed by militancy, even if it's warranted.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gough Suppressant posted:

I imagine a siege like this in the Melbourne CBD would probably be just as big a deal

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

ABC is reporting the guy thats been arrested has nothing to do with the gunman. Probably a cameraman trying to crib the boundary after being warned umpteen times to gently caress off.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

cpaf posted:

Is this even a proper terrorist attack yet? It's a hostage situation with no casualties, no bombs, no demands and the only indication it isn't anything more than a poorly-thought out hostage situation is the shahada flag.

Not really, doesn't stop our media from leading the audience down that road though.

Some people don't actually need facts to allow them to cry from the rooftops all sorts of garbage.

Really the best thing to do is turn the news feed off and let it play itself out. I should follow my own advice as I've probably spent an unproductive hour this morning following the siege. The only thing different from this and many other siege situations that probably occur on a weekly basis is that yes a Shahada flag is on display and it's in Martin Place.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
In case anyone doesn't follow the SA Facebook page:

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Murodese posted:

He was 200m away, apparently.

e; my fav twitter account:

Bolt Comments ‏@boltcomments 29s30 seconds ago
Apparantly they [Lindt] refused to make their products Halal

ee;
Bolt Comments ‏@boltcomments 16s16 seconds ago
The terrorists in Martin Place are likely genuine refugees or the children thereof, most likely bought in by Malcolm Fraser from Lebanon.

ee; he was unrelated

*twitches with rage*

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I thought the secret Santa joke was funny but I read it as a real present accidentally being sent to the wrong address , not as a bomb being sent as the present.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

???

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

I thought the secret Santa joke was funny but I read it as a real present accidentally being sent to the wrong address , not as a bomb being sent as the present.

Same.

Systematic posted:

*twitches with rage*
Same.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

T-1000 posted:

Humour can be a healthy response to horror.

I'll second this, some of us have not so nice jobs. It's a way of handling not so nice things - it doesn't mean that the welfare of individuals or the gravity of the situation has not been taken into account.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chiwie posted:

Has anyone here been to burger bro?

I feel really bad for wanting to go now because of that sign.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Eh? Abbott released a statement, does this mean no facer?

E: thanks autocorrect

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I thought the Splode dogpiling was pretty funny myself

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Personally I'm waiting for the full results of the MYEFO report as well as more information on the current Sydney siege events before I make a firm decision on whether any of the potentially offensive and irresponsible jokes made in this thread will be something I can find satisfactorily humourous

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Report says someone called from inside the Cafe to tell 2GB to tell the police back off. But that's social media reporting it.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Comstar posted:

Report says someone called from inside the Cafe to tell 2GB to tell the police back off. But that's social media reporting it.

Has that EVER worked?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

cpaf posted:

Personally I'm waiting for the full results of the MYEFO report as well as more information on the current Sydney siege events before I make a firm decision on whether any of the potentially offensive and irresponsible jokes made in this thread will be something I can find satisfactorily humourous

we should have a royal commission imo

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Reckon we can safely ignore 2GB

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Comstar posted:

2GB! THE MOST TRUSTED STATION! AND NOW EMERGENCY CALL CENTER!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah that's how I intended it, "I sent an auspol person a bomb lol" wouldn't be very funny.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Splode posted:

Yeah that's how I intended it, "I sent an auspol person a bomb lol" wouldn't be very funny.

It would be if it was raptorfag or IWC

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I feel really bad for wanting to go now because of that sign.

A bunch of my friends who work in PR were talking about how the Lindt branding was very visible in the live stream, which was darkly amusing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Queensland Police Service officers attended the West End address with lights flashing and sirens blaring about 1:45am to calls of a break in.

The informant, a teenager, told police he woke to noises of someone in the kitchen, or what he believed to be someone in the kitchen.

Senior Sergeant District Duty Officer Todd Sucic said the teen was certain it was no other member of his family.

"He sought refuge in his bedroom and he requested to stay on the phone to police until they arrived because he was too scared to go out," Snr Sgt Sucic said.

I think they recommended he boil the offender as soon as possible so they don't get a repeat call for this type of incident
Todd Sucic, Senior Sergeant District Duty Officer
"On arrival police were able to determine quickly that the offender responsible was actually a large mud crab that had escaped its box and was wandering around the kitchen.

"The person who called for help was slightly embarrassed and quickly secured the mud crab and all was good."

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Getting reports from 2GB that Ray Hadley has personally stormed Lindt with only his fists and a crying eagle. Gunman appears to have been "kicked directly into hell", according to Ray Hadley.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
Glad i'm not the only person wanting a burger bro?

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Best outcome I'm hoping for:
- No injuries or deaths at all
- The hostage taker(s) come out of this looking like big nongs

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Best outcome I'm hoping for:
- No injuries or deaths at all
- The hostage taker(s) come out of this looking like big nongs

Police Arrest Islamic Drongos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Are there any Australian news stations that stream during times like this?

I'm seeing different reports of 13 hostages and upwards of 40 hostages.

• Locked thread