Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

blk posted:

Have you guys seen those brake lights on emergency vehicles that flash once or twice before going to full 'on' when the vehicle is braking? I really want a pair of those to wake up the Facebooking drivers behind me.

oh yeah those are wonderful... until you are stuck in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes in the dark behind an ambulance :catdrugs:. It made it hard for me to browse the cars.com ap on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

Have you guys seen those brake lights on emergency vehicles that flash once or twice before going to full 'on' when the vehicle is braking? I really want a pair of those to wake up the Facebooking drivers behind me.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I should pick some of those up for the Jeep.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A fair few cars have an automatic "oh poo poo" system like that nowadays, don't they? Will either turn on the hazards or change the brake lights to flashing instead of continuous under hard braking.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
BMW's will do some variation of that. It's a good thing because the the DBC/rapid hard stop response is like hitting a wall.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

InitialDave posted:

A fair few cars have an automatic "oh poo poo" system like that nowadays, don't they? Will either turn on the hazards or change the brake lights to flashing instead of continuous under hard braking.

Yeah I was in the Miata and some hick in a newer panel van nearly rear-ended me and all his lights started to flash as his ABS kept me out of the emergency room.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lol someone got butthurt enough to spend :10bux:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mr. Apollo posted:

One of my sisters worked at a Chrysler dealership. Some old guy bought a new Viper and totalled the car (along with several others) pulling out of the dealer after picking it up.

As in the old guy took out his Viper and several other cars in the process, or the old guy and several other people who bought them took out their Vipers while pulling out of the dealer? Or both?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like the idea that the old guy bought a car, wrote it off pulling out the dealership, promptly went back in and bought another and did the same thing again, and repeated this cycle several times, as a growing pile of smashed and burning Vipers clogged up the highway.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or that the old rich guy put himself and his cadre of acolytes into Vipers, was all like "On my mark! AND!" and they all screeched out across the auto mall expressway and rolled across the median in unison.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ah it secretly wishes it was a mariner blue miata.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Geoj posted:

As in the old guy took out his Viper and several other cars in the process, or the old guy and several other people who bought them took out their Vipers while pulling out of the dealer? Or both?
As in the old guy took out his Viper and several other cars in the process.

The dealer is located on a main street and the average speed is about 45 mph. He floored it out of the dealer making a left turn and drove into a car and spun, with his foot still on the gas, and hit several other cars and bus.

He told police "It had more power than I expected."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who did DV's new custom title that's awesome.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I was chasing a new Corvette around NJMP Thunderbolt and they definitely do that. I think they also might strobe if the traction control comes on. I've seen it on Porsches as well.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

leica posted:

Who did DV's new custom title that's awesome.

Its good, but I don't think ANYTHING will ever surpass CSBs' title.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

Its good, but I don't think ANYTHING will ever surpass CSBs' title.

Your last one was pretty awesome but your skin was too thin to wear it. :(

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I did it because I was highly entertained by the notion that I was a German spy. Loads of parts are incoming for the car, I will hopefully talk replacement next week but really I just want to get back behind the wheel at this point. I miss having an idiotically overpowered car to drive around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:golfclap:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sanchez posted:

BMW's will do some variation of that. It's a good thing because the the DBC/rapid hard stop response is like hitting a wall.

I was behind a BMW that was braking the other day... then braked a lot harder to avoid a dipshit pulling out of a parking lot. It was first the outside brake lights like normal, then the middle ones lit up like the sun as its rear end jumped up in the air, waiting for nutcup to show up.

Definitely got my attention, And burned some spots into my retinas, but definitely did their job. I wound up right on the verge of locking up my brakes and stopped with about 3 ft between us. Guy behind me stopped less than a foot behind me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a good idea that should be implemented on all cars, we just need to standardize it.

On a Mercedes, the brake lights flash quickly, on an Audi they light up brighter than normal and on a BMW additional LEDs light up brighter than normal. On other makes, generally they automatically put on the four-way flashers and keep them on until you manually turn them off.

I wish there was a legally-required standard for this, and I personally prefer the flashing brake lights, because it's super attention-grabbing. And LED brake lights should be mandatory for safety reasons because they light up significantly faster than old-fashioned bulbs.

E: Then again, I managed to get rammed from behind by a very inattentive lady because I braked for an ambulance. It was harder braking than normal, but nowhere near actual emergency braking, and she still managed to lock up her brakes from 50 or 60 kph and hit me.

There is only so much we can do. Perhaps an automatic collision detection system thingy could have prevented a crash.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 14, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think legalizing this and requiring it is the solution, the solution is to make people put down their phones and pay attention. I believe that most accidents can be avoided if you simply pay attention to what's going in front of you. poo poo load of cars going slow in front of you? Someone probably got rear ended. BMW about to make a turn out of a parking lot without stopping to check cross traffic? Someone is about to get hit. Suddenly interrupted from your Facebook update by retina singing brake lights? You're about to hit someone. If there was a legal standard saying brake lights have to flash or whatever during hard braking, I think it would work for a little while until people start ignoring it just like DRLs or car alarms.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well yeah, the proper solution is to teach everyone to focus on driving, and to look farther ahead and anticipate traffic movements up ahead.

Unfortunately, the average person is either too ignorant, too distracted or too much of an rear end in a top hat for this to work. So we have to either ban the vast majority of people from driving outright, or we have to come up with better warning systems and automated brake systems etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KozmoNaut posted:

E: Then again, I managed to get rammed from behind by a very inattentive lady because I braked for an ambulance. It was harder braking than normal, but nowhere near actual emergency braking, and she still managed to lock up her brakes from 50 or 60 kph and hit me.

How do you even manage to lock up your brakes in this day and age? What percentage of cars on the road are pre-ubiquitous-ABS anyway?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Data Graham posted:

How do you even manage to lock up your brakes in this day and age? What percentage of cars on the road are pre-ubiquitous-ABS anyway?

It was a B5.5 (2000-2005) Passat, so it should definitely have had ABS. But I heard the tires lock up and screech before she hit me.

However, it was a 350,000km car on lovely Goodride tires, so who knows?

All I know is that it fared a hell of a lot worse than my Peugeot 406 of similar vintage, once and for all proving the superiority of French engineering over German engineering :france:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
str mentioned that his car doesn't have ABS, which is just totally ridiculous on a car of that (non)vintage.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Your last one was pretty awesome but your skin was too thin to wear it. :(

Some things are just beyond even meatpimp shitheadedness. I didn't appreciate it, but I seem to remember someone else bought me one killing that within like an hour before I bought this back. Of course, I can't get anyone to swap my monikers, so it makes no loving sense. (much liek my posting)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

str mentioned that his car doesn't have ABS, which is just totally ridiculous on a car of that (non)vintage.

As I recall, it was specifically ordered that way.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

I was behind a BMW that was braking the other day... then braked a lot harder to avoid a dipshit pulling out of a parking lot. It was first the outside brake lights like normal, then the middle ones lit up like the sun as its rear end jumped up in the air, waiting for nutcup to show up.

Definitely got my attention, And burned some spots into my retinas, but definitely did their job. I wound up right on the verge of locking up my brakes and stopped with about 3 ft between us. Guy behind me stopped less than a foot behind me.

Those are also the same bright LEDs that light up for rear fog lights, if you buy a Euro switch or modify a stock one. Good in fog, better against tailgaters.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Alarbus posted:

Those are also the same bright LEDs that light up for rear fog lights, if you buy a Euro switch or modify a stock one. Good in fog, better against tailgaters.

Standard BMW driver procedure around here is to leave them on full time and annoy the piss out of everyone else (plus it makes it much harder to see the brake lights)

Re ABS: from watching many Russian dashcam compilations it seems like non functional ABS is very common there (and given most of the cars are mid 90s onwards Japanese imports they would have cone with it from the factory)

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
North American model Toyota Corollas only got ABS as standard equipment starting in 2009, if you can believe that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My '02 Wrangler doesn't have ABS, as I learned braking for some eager beavers in a crosswalk driving downhill in the rain. Fortunately, the brakes work better than they did in my '95 Wrangler regardless.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Both my vehicles are non-ABS. 01 Sportage, 04 Vibe.
I wasn't seeking non-ABS vehicles out (though if I'm buying a pre-'00 vehicle I'll avoid it just because earlier ABS is usually poo poo) but since threshold braking is a technique I'm well-versed in it doesn't really make a big difference to me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
In my experience, the ABS system will disable itself if it detects a fault - for instance a non-working ABS sensor. My old Mazda 323 had ABS on paper but not in practice. Maybe that's what's at play.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

bolind posted:

In my experience, the ABS system will disable itself if it detects a fault - for instance a non-working ABS sensor. My old Mazda 323 had ABS on paper but not in practice. Maybe that's what's at play.

The way I got around the lack of a way to turn traction control off in my Fiesta was to wire up a switch to one of the ABS sensors. Turn it off, the car sees a fault in the system and shuts everything down, traction control, stability control, and ABS. I only use this if the traction control is causing me to get stuck and loving around in empty parking lots.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The Viper does make me miss the M3's insane brakes.

Turns out several people on VOA have had this happen. The earlier iterations of the engines would consume a huge amount of oil without warning, and the car has no oil light, just a pressure warning, which didn't go off. The dealer says they don't have any way of knowing if this is what happened or if there was a machining problem, so they're replacing the engine. I don't know where Chrysler stands still on replacing the car, but if they really do get it all fixed up I might tell them to throw on the T/A suspension and brakes and call it even. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Insist on a new blue Viper and see what happens first :v:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah an engine replacement is going to show up on a carfax and it's really not fair for you to have to take a hit when it's time for resale because of something you had no control over.

I'd start asking about it showing up on a car fax so they can get their heads around where you're going with it, then play it from there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Data Graham posted:

My 2006 Saturn doesn't have ABS, despite having nearly every other option (power windows/locks/mirrors, OnStar, sunroof, spoiler, fog lights, nicer interior, CD player w/MP3 capability and aux input). It's only missing an automatic, ABS, leather, and traction control (which I don't think they really offered except on the Redline and 2.4L models, the 2.2 really can't spin the tires except in the rain).

The window sticker said ABS too, but I didn't actually check to see if the ABS stuff was there, and didn't realize it didn't have ABS until about 2 months later when I slammed on the brakes to avoid someone that pulled out in front of me. :argh: The manager of the dealer basically said "sorry, it was a typo, but ABS doesn't make a difference in what we charge for a car, and you're past the 30 day return period".

The list of cars I've owned: 80 Ford F-150, 88 Honda Accord LXi, 88 Honda Accord DX, 96 Honda Civic EX, 91 Acura Integra LS, 95 Honda Civic EX, 01 Honda Accord LX, 99 Nissan Altima GXE, 06 Saturn Ion 3.

The list of cars I've owned with ABS:

The other cars in the house: 2001 Ford F-150, 2003 Toyota Avalon. The list of other cars in the house with ABS: 2001 Ford F-150 (rear only I think), 2003 Toyota Avalon. Even the 1992 F-150 that the 01 replaced had rear ABS, and I remember when we custom ordered a van in the 80s for my parents carpet cleaning company, it was a no-option except for AM/FM radio (didn't even have a/c, in Texas, wtf?!) - ABS was apparently standard on even the basest of base model work vans, it had an ABS logo on the back.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:doh: Typed up all that other stuff for nothing.

Viggen posted:

As I recall, it was specifically ordered that way.

Someone ran a carfax for me on it recently - it actually looks like it may have been a dealer demo, as it wasn't titled until it had nearly 300 miles on it (and 5 months after the build date) - so likely not a customer's special order, possibly a dealer special order so that they'd have a higher end version with a manual available for test drives. But either way, it's really unusual to run into a car that has almost every option except automatic.

maniacripper posted:

Yeah an engine replacement is going to show up on a carfax

Depends on the dealer. Some dealers report everything, right down to installing new wiper blades during an oil change and "150 point inspection performed", while others don't report anything whatsoever. I know one of my recalls doesn't show on Carfax at all (and only shows up on the GM owner center as "ELECTRICAL WORK PERFORMED HUFFINES CHEVY"), while another just shows up on Carfax as "Service performed at Reliable Chevrolet" (GM owner center has the recall campaign number listed). Nothing else shows up on Carfax for my car except for yearly registrations and inspections. Thankfully I've saved the receipts from both recalls, so whenever I do sell the car, I can hand them proof of the recall work. I have receipts for everything done to it except oil changes anyway (since I've owned it, that is - I got zero service history with it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 23, 2014

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My wife had a 2004 Peugeot Partner. No ABS, skinny 15" rubber and a French commercial chassis. It didn't really do stopping. Basically the back wheels would lock almost instantly, after which no more retardation was going to happen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

The window sticker said ABS too, but I didn't actually check to see if the ABS stuff was there, and didn't realize it didn't have ABS until about 2 months later when I slammed on the brakes to avoid someone that pulled out in front of me. :argh: The manager of the dealer basically said "sorry, it was a typo, but ABS doesn't make a difference in what we charge for a car, and you're past the 30 day return period".

Sorry, no. This is illegal and you have every right to shove that car back up the dealer's rear end. Putting ABS on the sticker is an express warranty that the car, in fact, has ABS. (IANAL)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Any updates DV?

• Locked thread