Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

pro click, by the way

that one dumb frog monster in the special edition establishing shot of jabbas palace?

from a race of crafty aliens that are smart but pretend to be animals so they can be (what else) assassins, spies, etc.

i'm sure the one that was actually featured on screen has some insane backstory where he's the scion of a noble house cast out in disgrace for being too good of a jedi and now he's secretly friends with han solo and helped load the proton torpedo that blew up the death star at the battle of yavin before giving luke a pep talk to listen to any weird voices in his head during the battle or w/e

convoluted intertwined backstories... piled high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

speaking of the battle of yavin, what happened to the enormous imperial fleet that was attacking the rebels?

surely the rebel ships didn't blow them all up, they straight up say they can't take them all. maybe the death star explosion also blew up the imperial fleet?

ROTJ was kind of bad when you think about it, the only really good part is the emperor confrontation and final duel. people should have seen the prequels coming, honestly

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ThePutty posted:

speaking of the battle of yavin, what happened to the enormous imperial fleet that was attacking the rebels

surely the rebel ships didn't blow them all up, they straight up say they can't take them all

They all died of broken hearts.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Otisburg posted:

pro click, by the way

that one dumb frog monster in the special edition establishing shot of jabbas palace?

from a race of crafty aliens that are smart but pretend to be animals so they can be (what else) assassins, spies, etc.

i'm sure the one that was actually featured on screen has some insane backstory where he's the scion of a noble house cast out in disgrace for being too good of a jedi and now he's secretly friends with han solo and helped load the proton torpedo that blew up the death star at the battle of yavin before giving luke a pep talk to listen to any weird voices in his head during the battle or w/e

oh, and jabba's palace? it's actually an ancient monastery for a group of monks that put their brains into jars and worship them because they're really good thinkers

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

quote:

The frog-dog Buboicullaar lived as "Bubo," a pet to a tribe of Jawas, even allowing them to keep him on a leash. In reality, Buboicullaar was secretly plotting to kill Jabba the Hutt.
christ

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ThePutty posted:

speaking of the battle of yavin, what happened to the enormous imperial fleet that was attacking the rebels?

surely the rebel ships didn't blow them all up, they straight up say they can't take them all. maybe the death star explosion also blew up the imperial fleet?

ROTJ was kind of bad when you think about it, the only really good part is the emperor confrontation and final duel. people should have seen the prequels coming, honestly

rotj really wasnt that bad. in fact, it was p good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ThePutty posted:

didn't they just sent literally one unsupported death star?

like i thought that was a plot point that they thought so highly of their invincible battle station and so little of the rebels they didn't even bother deploying it as part of a battle group with the wedge destroyers and some of those frigates from the X-wing PC game with like 50,000 lasers pouring out of them. You never see any other spaceships on the screen as they approach, and they only deploy 3 spacefighters* to stop them once they realized they messed up and the rebels are going to drop a hot proton load in their thermal exhaust port

*rogue squadron games notwithstanding

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

it's a decent movie that has good parts and bad parts, but at least it makes sense plot-wise. the pacing is a bit poo poo with the ewok stuff going on and on, and the story really isn't all that original, but it's a satisfying conclusion to the original trilogy

Otisburg posted:

like i thought that was a plot point that they thought so highly of their invincible battle station and so little of the rebels they didn't even bother deploying it as part of a battle group with the wedge destroyers and some of those frigates from the X-wing PC game with like 50,000 lasers pouring out of them. You never see any other spaceships on the screen as they approach, and they only deploy 3 spacefighters* to stop them once they realized they messed up and the rebels are going to drop a hot proton load in their thermal exhaust port

*rogue squadron games notwithstanding

i rewatched this movie yesterday because of this thread and the imperial fleet does show up. the emperor orders them not to engage so he can blow poo poo up with the death star, according to the admiral dude on the executor. the rebel fleet engages them and then they move away once the death star run is over, so maybe the fleet is just blown up with the death star explosion

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

what i don't get about the mission on endor is this:
they are attacking the imperial shield facility of their own initiative more or less at a time of their choosing. now in anh the crew was made up of just some random robots and people from the tantive and a smuggler and some desert people they encountered. in esb those people are all thrown together while escaping the base. a bunch of oddballs put together by happenstance p much

but in rotj they are deliberately picking their assault squad and they are like okay we're going to take leia, who is a good leader and okay in a fight so fair enough, han who is handy with a blaster and a great pilot okay, chewbacca who is a tough bastard who comes from a similar planet and might be good with the terrain, luke who's a damned jedi, so fine there. r2d2 has mobility problems but i guess i see the point of a general purpose utility bot on the mission. plus all the no-name commandos who we can assume are at least passable at commandoing, even if they do jack-all onscreen

but why would you take an effette golden translator robot on your jungle assault mission, and why wouldn't you at least hit him with some matte krylon forest green if you did decide he was coming?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I always just figured the rule of two was known bullshit and they just pretended to follow it when they knew very well that any apprentice worth his poo poo was constantly planning to murder you and take your place and any master worth his poo poo knew this and planned for it so both of the "two" of you had a bunch of secret apprentices to fight each other with by proxy.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Otisburg posted:

what i don't get about the mission on endor is this:
they are attacking the imperial shield facility of their own initiative more or less at a time of their choosing. now in anh the crew was made up of just some random robots and people from the tantive and a smuggler and some desert people they encountered. in esb those people are all thrown together while escaping the base. a bunch of oddballs put together by happenstance p much

but in rotj they are deliberately picking their assault squad and they are like okay we're going to take leia, who is a good leader and okay in a fight so fair enough, han who is handy with a blaster and a great pilot okay, chewbacca who is a tough bastard who comes from a similar planet and might be good with the terrain, luke who's a damned jedi, so fine there. r2d2 has mobility problems but i guess i see the point of a general purpose utility bot on the mission. plus all the no-name commandos who we can assume are at least passable at commandoing, even if they do jack-all onscreen

but why would you take an effette golden translator robot on your jungle assault mission, and why wouldn't you at least hit him with some matte krylon forest green if you did decide he was coming?

because george wanted an overly long ewok exposition that takes forever to get through

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

This. Tarkin even says so, thinking that their point defenses could handle antique space fighters. It would be like someone attacking a Nimitz-class supercarrier with Zeros. Contrary to The Final Countdown, they wouldn't even launch fighters to intercept, the Phalanx guns and SAMs could take care of them.

Only in RotJ did they bring in a battle group because they were laying in wait for an ambush to crush the bulk of the Rebellion's space forces.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yub Nub, bitches.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i guess an interpreter makes sense for dealing with the locals but painting him green would have not only been a sound tactical decision, it would have given you another action figure to merchandise "endor camouflage C3PO"

you could even have a really obnoxiously irritating scene where he minces about bitching about them ruining his finish

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

maybe george will digitally add in a camouflaged C3PO into return of the jedi and dub in him constantly complaining about it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

pretty embarrassing that the second the rebel fleet jumped in they didnt scan the imperial fleet right behind them or did they hyperspace in in which good timing imperials

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

SaltLick posted:

pretty embarrassing that the second the rebel fleet jumped in they didnt scan the imperial fleet right behind them or did they hyperspace in in which good timing imperials

i think the empire was waiting somewhere just far enough away for a short jump when they got the signal that "lol the rebels are dumb fuckers and took the bait!".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's good to know the outnumbered heroic rebels could have just straight up won a direct confrontation with the Empire's main battle group the entire time.

~~my childhood!~~

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's good to know the outnumbered heroic rebels could have just straight up won a direct confrontation with the Empire's main battle group the entire time.

~~my childhood!~~

haha the eu strikes again here. while it looked in the movies like he was just taunting some teenager the whole time, the emperor was also using dark side battle mediation to make his guys more good, and once he bought it they fell into complete disarray.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Otisburg posted:

haha the eu strikes again here. while it looked in the movies like he was just taunting some teenager the whole time, the emperor was also using dark side battle mediation to make his guys more good, and once he bought it they fell into complete disarray.

that's dumb as gently caress.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

quote:

, Grand Admiral Nial Declann was a master of Sith battle meditation, using it to great effect during the Battle of Endor.[5] Following Palpatine's death, the shock of the sudden removal of this influence threw the Imperial Navy into chaos and allowed the Rebel fleet to defeat them.

fuckin lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

:mrgw:

The use and effect of battle meditation was first described in the Star Wars expanded universe by Timothy Zahn in Heir to the Empire, when Grand Admiral Thrawn explains to Joruus C'baoth and Gilad Pellaeon his own theory as to why the Battle of Endor was lost; he believed that Palpatine employed the power to an unwise degree, taking such close control of the Imperial forces as to make them puppets, almost incapable of fighting on their own when his influence was suddenly removed (the use of battle meditation at Endor was later attributed to Admiral Nial Declann instead of Palpatine).

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Otisburg posted:

:mrgw:

The use and effect of battle meditation was first described in the Star Wars expanded universe by Timothy Zahn in Heir to the Empire, when Grand Admiral Thrawn explains to Joruus C'baoth and Gilad Pellaeon his own theory as to why the Battle of Endor was lost; he believed that Palpatine employed the power to an unwise degree, taking such close control of the Imperial forces as to make them puppets, almost incapable of fighting on their own when his influence was suddenly removed (the use of battle meditation at Endor was later attributed to Admiral Nial Declann instead of Palpatine).
so some admiral had loving sith powers now? does everyone have them? IS EVERYONE loving FORCE SENSITIVE NOW GODDAMN! also, this is proof that even the Thrawn books are poo poo. all EU is garbage.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

the worst part about the EU is that infects the actual movies, so you can't watch it without noticing the stupid secondary characters that have been turned into heroes like that stupid idiot on bespin with the ice cream machine. he's not just a secondary character anymore, he's an idiot with a loving ice cream machine that SAVED THE UNIVERSE. or when you watch the death star run, suddenly an image of IG-88 pops into your head and you think 'god loving drat it now i'm remembering that stupid IG-88 story about him plugging into the death star or something'

this thread is a curse

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

so some admiral had loving sith powers now? does everyone have them? IS EVERYONE loving FORCE SENSITIVE NOW GODDAMN! also, this is proof that even the Thrawn books are poo poo. all EU is garbage.

no, you see thrawn did not have the power of battle meditation himself, he employed the services of the clone dark jedi joruus cibath, being sure to keep a bunch of force-voiding space weasels around him at all time (not the kind han solo made love to, a different kind of space weasel) as a hedge should joruus turn on him

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ThePutty posted:

the worst part about the EU is that infects the actual movies, so you can't watch it without noticing the stupid secondary characters that have been turned into heroes like that stupid idiot on bespin with the ice cream machine. he's not just a secondary character anymore, he's an idiot with a loving ice cream machine that SAVED THE UNIVERSE. or when you watch the death star run, suddenly an image of IG-88 pops into your head and you think 'god loving drat it now i'm remembering that stupid IG-88 story about him plugging into the death star or something'

this thread is a curse

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

oh gently caress you

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Nothing is ordinary, everything is extraordinary.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

:unsmigghh:

death to the EU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

in my headcannon he still just a workaday cloud citizen tibana gas miner who really fukkin loves iceced cream

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

pro click, by the way

quote:

Others worked as assassins and spies, using their unassuming appearance to get into position to complete a particular mission. The frog-dog Buboicullaar operated in this manner as a "pet" of both a tribe of Jawas on the planet Tatooine and of Jabba Desilijic Tiure in the crime lord's palace. While a member of Jabba's court, Buboicullaar plotted to kill his Hutt master. Meanwhile, he foiled a similar assassination scheme by the Gran Ree-Yees. Upon Jabba's death at the Great Pit of Carkoon, Buboicullaar joined the B'omarr Order.

quote:

"Stupid two-eyed maggot fish! It's a good thing I don't need you anymore!"
―Ree-Yees, to Bubo, as the Gran's assassination plot against Jabba the Hutt progresses

quote:

"We live within a den of thieves, little one… Why do you want this?"
"For the money, of course."
―B'omarr monk Evilo Nailati and Buboicullaar, on the frog-dog's decision to kill Jabba

quote:

"What's so funny, little one?"
"I ate the detonation link, my teacher. The crucial part in Ree-Yees's plan."
―B'omarr monk Evilo Nailati and Buboicullaar

quote:

Buboicullaar, known to the members of Jabba's court as Bubo, lived in the Hutt's palace in 4 ABY. He was considered the pet of a tribe of Jawas and given the official role of Jabba's personal watchbeast, tasked with alerting the court to anyone entering the throne room. When the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 arrived in the palace in 4 ABY—and the protocol droid kicked him—Bubo announced their presence by giving a throaty croak. The Gran Ree-Yees was placed in charge of the frog-dog's feeding and care, which prompted him to use Bubo in an attempt to kill Jabba. The Gran hid a demolitions transmitter among Bubo's flaps of skin. Nevertheless, Bubo hated his keeper, and he ate the device, foiling Ree-Yees's plan.

Bubo played up the misconception that he was non-sentient because, in reality, he was a spy and assassin who had been contracted to kill the Hutt; playing dumb allowed him unfettered access to the palace and proximity to his target. During his stay, Bubo befriended the B'omarr monks who roamed the palace halls in brain walkers. The frog-dog studied under the guidance of the monk Evilo Nailati, and the monks were the only inhabitants of the palace to whom Bubo revealed his sentience. After Jabba was killed by the enslaved Princess Leia Organa during the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon, Bubo gave up his life as an assassin and voluntarily allowed the B'omarr monks to remove his brain from his cranium and place it in a brain walker. In this form, he spent his time pondering philosophy and the universe.
gently caress the EU and all who sail in her

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hold up the bad guy who worked with the frog assassin monster was literally named "evilo?"

E: wait no he was one of the robot brain spider monks. but he was a bad guy, right? you can't name a guy "evilo" in star wars and have him not be a bad guy

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

it can always get worse

quote:

The B'omarr Order, which consisted of the B'omarr Monks, was a mysterious religious order that moved to the planet Tatooine around 700 BBY. The B'omarr believed that cutting themselves off from all physical sensation would further their studies, and allow them to ponder the galaxy and achieve enlightenment. When a monk became enlightened, his brain was removed through a special procedure, and was placed in a nutrient-filled jar. The brains were held in very high regard by the lower, embodied monks, who saw to their every need, though the brains rarely did anything other than think and wonder. When they did need to travel around their monastery on Tatooine, the brains were transferred into specially modified BT-16 perimeter droids.

lmao

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

so how many people were plotting to kill jabba exactly and why was it finally done by a girl in a skimpy two piece?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SaltLick posted:

so how many people were plotting to kill jabba exactly and why was it finally done by a girl in a skimpy two piece?

It's really hard to take out an immobile croissant with eyes (who is none the less the most powerful gangster in the galaxy).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
people hate on ROTJ a lot, but honestly it was a pretty drat good movie, and everything in it is pretty good except for the ewok parts. And even then, the ewoks aren't that bad. when you think about it, the ewoks aren't cute, they're scary. they're loving cannibals that literally skin and eat people and managed to capture a jedi. plus, if you go by the last two movies, the stormtroopers are pretty loving poo poo at everything, so no wonder the ewoks took them out

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's really hard to take out an immobile croissant with eyes (who is none the less the most powerful gangster in the galaxy).

i think it's actually kind of funny that someone worked out part of the reason that hutts are able to get one over on people is they make out contracts and agreements using their base eight number system when it was to their advantage exploiting people who thought they were using decimal numbers when in fact they were using a octal numbering system. the hutts only got four digits per hand, you see

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

StashAugustine posted:

dnd rules are poo poo :shhh:

id love for someone to do a kotor game without that lovely ruleset
All I remember from playing it years ago it seemed like I should have known how some weird outside ruleset works and I had no idea what was going on, so I just arbitrarily picked one out of Flurry/Power Strike/Whatever each time and just spammed that single attack and it worked.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

the eu explained that as the hutts having super thick, tough skin that was impossible to cut through, blast through or blow up. you had to like, give them radiation poisoning or some poo poo. thus there was a group called the shell hutts that took to living in metal radiation husks. it was that same book series where boba fett fucks an info-spider or some poo poo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

every on screen character has a bitter rival or at least an assassin after them regardless of how fleeting or trivial their appearance is so I'm going to guess that literally every character in Jabba's palace was plotting to kill him, along with his immediate EU rival the wild boar woman who ran a crime syndicate a few miles over in Mos Eisley who was definitely trying to kill him

i think a bunch of the other hutts were trying to kill jabba too cause he was too depraved even for them or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

requesting namechange to trillrow hood

• Locked thread