Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It's really interesting how low key this season is. The midseason finale, just a story about a daughter who lost her father, a son reconnecting with his mother, and Dean letting his murderous maniac side out. It's a nice change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's really interesting how low key this season is. The midseason finale, just a story about a daughter who lost her father, a son reconnecting with his mother, and Dean letting his murderous maniac side out. It's a nice change of pace.

It's a sign that the show has pretty much run out of steam.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Considering I watched Supernatural between the awesome sandwich that was the Flash mid-season finale and Agents of Shield mid-season finale, it was basically a wet fart.

I appreciate the Cas story and think it's due because what the Angels did always got glossed over but I just don't feel like it's going anywhere. The whole thing just seemed like a setup for Dean to slaughter a bunch of unsympathetic (but human) people. It would have paid off better if Randy wouldn't give her up and make a deal and the guy went for her anyways. Then there would have been at least one in the body count that the audience could have felt squeamish about.

As for Dean, we knew he was going to lost control, that basically had to happen. It just didn't happen in an interesting way. It also didn't happen in a way that makes me sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the 2nd half of the season.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I appreciate the Cas story and think it's due because what the Angels did always got glossed over but I just don't feel like it's going anywhere.
We've had too many seasons of Angels doing their poo poo in the background. Like, sure, it worked way back in season 6, because the whole idea of shaking up heaven tied in directly to Crowley's plans. Then season 7 came around, and the angels were still just kind of doing their thing while we had the Leviathans (who I still think were a loving amazing villain) to deal with. Which worked really against the writers - the entire "stop the Leviathans" season was just Sam and Dean being super proactive towards a goal instead of mostly reactive and just scraping around. Then there was season 8, where Cas hosed up Heaven but good, yet most of the angels were mostly just kind of doing their thing in the background despite what was going on with heaven being pretty important to the plot.. Then season 9, which was directly about finally ending the bullshit with the angels and stopping Metatron and putting everything right, still mostly just had angels doing their poo poo in the background.

Now we're four seasons past the point where this angel war started happening, and it's still just a stupid, dumb, tired, petty group of dicks having slapfights in the background. Worse, this season doesn't really have a Big Plan that the boys have to stop, so we're grasping out for anything and what, we get "angels are dicks, but at least their background slapfights are maybe happening a little less." This Cas story should have got to the point it's currently at by the third episode, or it should have been resolved last season when it would have been way more appropriate.

It's really sad that I'm getting excited about January 27, because this season (outside of Fan Fiction and the first 3/4 of Ask Jeeves) has been so disappointing that I'm actually looking forward to more Felicia Day.

bull3964 posted:

Considering I watched Supernatural between the awesome sandwich that was the Flash mid-season finale and Agents of Shield mid-season finale, it was basically a wet fart.
Also yeah. Supernatural used to be my "event" show but now there's Flash and Arrow being so much more interesting, Agents of Shield has come into its own, and Constantine finally got good and is trying to give us the dark undercurrent that inspired Supernatural to begin with. Bring back some fuckin' Leviathans, or give us something new like them. Or even bring back some Jefferson Starships. Just... stop farting around with the same plot for so many seasons.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 11, 2014

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
I agree. The angels inhabiting humans and angels dying in their human vessels (thus killing the human too) has been overlooked for so long, it just doesn't seem like a big deal. Dean and Sam have killed so many demons without a second thought to the humans they're inhabiting too.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
I guess the difference is that Angels had to be let in, so the host would be consenting to whatever use the angel had in mind. Of course most of the hosts don't know what is really going on in Heaven.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Whalley posted:

Also yeah. Supernatural used to be my "event" show but now there's Flash and Arrow being so much more interesting, Agents of Shield has come into its own, and Constantine finally got good and is trying to give us the dark undercurrent that inspired Supernatural to begin with. Bring back some fuckin' Leviathans, or give us something new like them. Or even bring back some Jefferson Starships. Just... stop farting around with the same plot for so many seasons.

I get if you're bored of the show but farting around with the same plot? The fact that this season does not have a big bad and is going for more personal plot lines relating to Dean, and Cas, and even Crowley with his mother etc. is showing that they're trying something new. And it's no matter to me if they did mostly focus on stand alone episodes because that's always going to be the bread and butter of the show and the reason to keep watching every week. It's like telling CSI to stop farting around with the same plot, it's not going to happen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I agree, it's a nice change of pace. Every season doesn't need to be end of the world type stuff with ever increasingly more powerful enemies.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I started watching Season 1. I'm about seven episodes in and so far it's pretty boring. Does it improve later on?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, it stays boring for 10 seasons.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thank you for confirming.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You're welcome.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GreenNight posted:

The best answer :laugh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm cool with this season. I'm actually relieved there's no big bad or new world changing crisis for once. This season just feels like "living with yourself after the war is over." All the messes they made and damage they caused in the name of the greater good had consequences and now that they're calm for the first time in years there's a lot of chickens coming home to roost or poo poo weighing on their consciences. I almost wish they had skipped the whole Demon Dean thing and just ended last season with them calm and saying "What do we do now?" Then all this stuff could still be in play. The Mark of Cain loving with Dean, Claire Novak hosed up because Castiel killed her daddy, some dude looking for revenge because the Winchesters killed his dad forever ago because he was some kind of monster. What kind? What hunt? Who the gently caress knows? There's got to be countless orphans who don't understand why the Winchesters destroyed their lives. There's not that much different between Claire and that guy who wanted to kill Dean. They both got orphaned by the mission and didn't understand why and grew angry.

Sheriff Jody should start a home or something.

But I like it. It's a down season but one that feels organic and deserved to me. It's basically the stuff that happened after S5 and in S6 where they just had to fix themselves after all the madness and pain of the mission. I'd like to see this idea really take shape and the second half of the season not only be about fixing Dean but also helping Claire and other victims, rebuilding a hunters circle or the Men of Letters stuff, and just generally cleaning up. And I agree that freeing Adam from Hell would be a great end goal for the season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenNight posted:

Except for the episode titled "Route 666".

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bloodlines was really kick rear end too and I'm really hyped for the spin off

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

STAC Goat posted:

And I agree that freeing Adam from Hell would be a great end goal for the season.

Would he even still be alive at this point? Human hosts don't live every long with an angel or demon possessing them on earth let alone being trapped in a box with frickin' Lucifer for the last decade. And if he was still alive, I can't even imagine how hosed up he'd be by now. I hope he's the series finally big bad if they do bring him back. It would be a fitting end to the show I think.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

enraged_camel posted:

I started watching Season 1. I'm about seven episodes in and so far it's pretty boring. Does it improve later on?

The big season-long storylines become more prominent and the stakes get much bigger, and it turns into more of a soap opera. The bad guys also become more consistent rather than being just some random monster each episode.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:
Plus a month in hell is like ten years per Dean's experience in hell proper, so if he's been there since season 5, you're talking at least a few centuries in special cage hell. Definitely finale big bad material.

enraged_camel posted:

I love the whole thing, but it's very X-Files-y that early on and takes some time to find its voice. And if you're watching online, there's some rights issue only affecting the first season that made them strip out the classic rock and put in some really bland filler, which kinda fucks it up. But it depends on what's boring you, I guess. I think if you get to episode 9 (Home) and still aren't emotionally engaged in the brothers' story, it probably isn't going to happen. 16 (Shadow) is also a big one for that, toward the end. If you're still iffy at that point but can hang on through 17 (Hell House), that's the first of the real comedy episodes, and they have such a flair for those. It's such a funny show, for all the angst. Last season's godawful dog episode that Jared Padalecki actually apologized for notwithstanding.

Spoeank posted:

Bloodlines was really kick rear end too and I'm really hyped for the spin off

:woop:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The dog episode was bad but by god Jensen Ackles sold the hell out of his performance. Worth watching for that alone.

Had at least two laugh out loud bits for me anyway.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ed Zeddmore posted:

Plus a month in hell is like ten years per Dean's experience in hell proper, so if he's been there since season 5, you're talking at least a few centuries in special cage hell. Definitely finale big bad material.

He's been in there for about 6.5 years (78 months) Earth time, so it's getting on for a millennium of torture now.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BreakAtmo posted:

He's been in there for about 6.5 years (78 months) Earth time, so it's getting on for a millennium of torture now.

I hope the series ends with Sam completing the ritual to seal heaven and hell just because their lil' bro was about to get out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

Either that or by now Lucifer and Michael got bored of torturing him and just became best buds. All 3 are down there binging on netflix or something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd like Mark Pellagrino to come back. He and Crowley never got a scene together, did they?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I always thought it was funny that Demonblood!Sam saving the hosts with his powers was terribad, but the Winchesters running around ganking every meatsuit in sight without knowing if the host is still alive and can be saved or not is just dandy. I'm sure most of the angel possessed people were still alive in there. And some of the demon possessed probably were too. Saving people, my rear end. You're only saveable if you're not possessed, because apparently Winchesters don't have time to do much exorcising or banishing anymore, it's stabby stab time and you're getting in the way of the BM scene. Seriously, how many people do you think they've killed by now?

Claire should go live with Jody and Donna, I'd watch that spin-off where they learn how to be badass lady hunters.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I feel like they acknowledged this before, and they justified it earlier because they were trying to stop the apocalypse and they didn't have the time to save every host. But now, they're not really working against time, so they have no reason. But then again, they don't really fight demons all that much, either. And I don't think they have a way to expel the angels out of the hosts, because don't the hosts have to give permission before the angels can enter?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

empty sea posted:

Claire should go live with Jody and Donna, I'd watch that spin-off where they learn how to be badass lady hunters.

This makes a lot of sense, actually. I mean, it's gotta be easier living around people "in the know." That's a spinoff I'd actually watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I said it before and I meant it. The Winchesters should just setup Jody's Home For Orphans of Supernatural poo poo. Leaving behind damaged and traumatized kids has been shown to be a troubling habit of the Winchesters. Claire, Jody's girl, the guy hunting Dean, Jewel Saite, that hunter's daughter who started a juvenile gang of hunters. Shits an epidemic.

Officer Farva posted:

I feel like they acknowledged this before, and they justified it earlier because they were trying to stop the apocalypse and they didn't have the time to save every host. But now, they're not really working against time, so they have no reason. But then again, they don't really fight demons all that much, either. And I don't think they have a way to expel the angels out of the hosts, because don't the hosts have to give permission before the angels can enter?

Yeah, they did all the moral questioning of killing the demon hosts. The truth is that a lot of the hosts are probably in bad shape anyway but they definitely got cold and callous about killing them at some point during the war. As you said, the justification was that the stakes were too high to worry about casualties but it was clear that it was eating away at them. It's been established for a very long time that Dean doesn't think he's going to Heaven or deserves to. He thinks he's done too much evil to get there, but he thinks it's all been for the greater good.

And yeah, the stakes kind of changed when Angels and Leviathons entered the mix. Now the Winchesters don't really deal with demons too much unless it's an emergency situation so there's a strong argument for self defense. The days of torturing demons and hunting them down to kill them are kind of behind the boys. And with that goes a lot of those moral compromises about the hosts.

And, I mean, obviously the issue with Sam wasn't the method he got rid of demons. It was the whole drinking demon blood and listening to Ruby thing that was the problem. Which kind of proved to be a valid concern when Ruby tricked Sam into drinking a whole demon (and host), freeing Lucifer from Hell, and startingthe Apocalypse.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
How the hell has this show been so good for so long? There's been some excellent episodes this season.

I'd love to know what the budget for this show is per ep, and what sort of contract the actors have. It's going to be on TV for a very long time.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

SpannerX posted:

How the hell has this show been so good for so long? There's been some excellent episodes this season.

I'd love to know what the budget for this show is per ep, and what sort of contract the actors have. It's going to be on TV for a very long time.

I love this show but it hasn't been consistently good. It definitely lost me in 7 and part of 8 but it's back to being awesome now.

I'm still shocked that four of the shows I most look forward to each week are on the CW..

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Officer Farva posted:

And I don't think they have a way to expel the angels out of the hosts, because don't the hosts have to give permission before the angels can enter?

I can't remember if they can expel angels, but yeah, the angels need permission to possess you. When Gadreel was possessing Sam, they had to prevent Sam from finding out because he could have kicked him out if he knew.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Which is kind of weird with stories like the lady angel who's host's marriage was getting ruined but she couldn't stop it. I guess angels hosts are just generally too timid to end it?

And yeah, I don't think they have a way to get the angel out. They have that trick they do with blood to send the angel back to heaven but the host seemed to go with them.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
That was something I didn't understand. If they were in Heaven you wouldn't think they would need the vessels/perhaps the vessels might be destroyed in the transfer. I was asking about Hannah after she shed her vessel, should she still be able to do Angel stuff in Heaven (rebuilding and organizing) ?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FowlTheOwl posted:

That was something I didn't understand. If they were in Heaven you wouldn't think they would need the vessels/perhaps the vessels might be destroyed in the transfer. I was asking about Hannah after she shed her vessel, should she still be able to do Angel stuff in Heaven (rebuilding and organizing) ?

When they ditch their vessels they ought to be in winged glowy burn-your-eyes-out-if-you-look-at-them form. Remember when that psychic lady went blind trying to look at Cas way back when?

I imagine the show just glosses over that because it would be both expensive and confusing. Kind of like how when the angels talk among themselves they speak english, rather than enochian.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

When they ditch their vessels they ought to be in winged glowy burn-your-eyes-out-if-you-look-at-them form. Remember when that psychic lady went blind trying to look at Cas way back when?

I imagine the show just glosses over that because it would be both expensive and confusing. Kind of like how when the angels talk among themselves they speak english, rather than enochian.

I would say that they are probably speaking Enochian. The characters in movies like Gladiator and Valkyrie aren't speaking English either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BreakAtmo posted:

I would say that they are probably speaking Enochian. The characters in movies like Gladiator and Valkyrie aren't speaking English either.

Right. They are speaking enochian and standing around in their glowy winged form, but that is translated into humans speaking english for the convenience of the audience.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Angela Christine posted:

Right. They are speaking enochian and standing around in their glowy winged form, but that is translated into humans speaking english for the convenience of the audience.

Well, back on season five Zachariah said that they manifested on the meatsuits on heaven because humans wouldn't be able to understand their true forms.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, back on season five Zachariah said that they manifested on the meatsuits on heaven because humans wouldn't be able to understand their true forms.

That's definitely the case when they're chatting with a human in heaven, but this is more about when they're talking amongst themselves with no people around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it's just production stuff, I'm sure. It doesn't make a ton of sense for the angels to be in host form in Heaven but as a TV show it would be confusing as gently caress and expensive to not keep Castiel played by Misha Collins and instead be some unknown true angel form. So you just got to roll with it and adapt the mythology.

So yeah, it doesn't make much sense but I guess the hosts go to Heaven too and the angel stays in. That doesn't totally mesh with what was established in the old days with Zachariah and Pamela getting her eyes burned out but then again S5 was supposed to be the end and they didn't expect five more years of expanded angel and heaven stories. So you roll with it and don't be pedantic or else it all unravels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For me the biggest suspension of disbelief in the series is how utterly incompetent/clueless all levels of the government and law enforcement are. With the exception of Henriksen, they're all completely out to lunch and fooled by Sam and Dean every drat time. That and there never seems to be any sort of investigations into why towns disappear completely or hundreds of people stab each other with freaky angel blades.

I accept it as part of the universe but it is kind of humourous really ;)