Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fragmented posted:

So I have never read any Flash comic, but I love the show. I just have to wonder why The Streak and The Flash are his names. Both have...negative connotations. Why not just The Lightning?

Or the Blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I just have a medical problem! Everything works fine!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Fragmented posted:

So I have never read any Flash comic, but I love the show. I just have to wonder why The Streak and The Flash are his names. Both have...negative connotations. Why not just The Lightning?

Lightning is way more dangerous and potentially damaging than streakers or flashers.

Maybe they should have stuck with The Blur. It's so...inoffensively indefinite.

e: god dammit!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles posted:

There were no perverts in 1940.

yeah, you could have produced a comic called the Gay Old Superfriends in that era and nobody would think twice.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah, words in old comics just had different meanings sometimes.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Habibi posted:

Lightning is way more dangerous and potentially damaging than streakers or flashers.

Maybe they should have stuck with The Blur. It's so...inoffensively indefinite.

e: god dammit!

wasn't the blur what they called clark in smallville?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

wasn't the blur what they called clark in smallville?

I happily have no idea!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing compared to the Whizzer.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Boner crimes. Ok I take back everything. Boner crimes.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nothing compared to the Whizzer.

I thought for sure that was the speedsters name in TMNT (turns out thats Zippy lad) but the Whizzer seems to have created his golden stream of justice for Marvel in the 1940s (seriously his name is whizzer and he wears a yellow costume).

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dave Angel posted:

Yeah, words in old comics just had different meanings sometimes.

you cant post that without this

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

The Joker isn't a bad guy he's a hero. Making all those boners must be hard work. But now that I think it through the boners will probably explode.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fragmented posted:

The Joker isn't a bad guy he's a hero. Making all those boners must be hard work. But now that I think it through the boners will probably explode.

YAHTZEE!

Also, that plotline needs to be adopted for Arrow. Somehow.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

zoux posted:

Also significant this episode was the use of the word "speedster".

This is a couple pages back, but this is why Flash needs a character like Cisco, because who the gently caress else would use a term like "speedster" first? A goony goon, and now that we've got a goony goon on Flash's team the showrunners can use Cisco to introduce all the nerdy comicbook terms that come part and parcel with Flash's mythos.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nutranurse posted:

This is a couple pages back, but this is why Flash needs a character like Cisco, because who the gently caress else would use a term like "speedster" first? A goony goon, and now that we've got a goony goon on Flash's team the showrunners can use Cisco to introduce all the nerdy comicbook terms that come part and parcel with Flash's mythos.

His use of the word "speedster" has caused me to go back and I am now currently rewatching Heroes :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MrFlibble posted:

I thought for sure that was the speedsters name in TMNT (turns out thats Zippy lad) but the Whizzer seems to have created his golden stream of justice for Marvel in the 1940s (seriously his name is whizzer and he wears a yellow costume).

And he got his superspeed powers from a transfusion of mongoose blood! :science:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Valeyard posted:

His use of the word "speedster" has caused me to go back and I am now currently rewatching Heroes :v:

Heroes was a great show, it's too bad they never made a second season.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

nutranurse posted:

I don't think Carlos Valdes gets enough credit here and in general for how fine a line he has to cross between goony but sincere and obnoxious nerd stereotype.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

I don't think Carlos Valdes gets enough credit here and in general for how fine a line he has to cross between goony but sincere and obnoxious nerd stereotype.

It's why I like Cisco and think Carlos Valdes is doing a great job with the role: he's unquestionably a nerd, but he's not insufferably nerdy. The fine line most nerds fall well to one side of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Solaris Knight posted:

His,"We could really use a Cold Gun right now... just saying...." line was so great.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Heroes was a great show, it's too bad they never made a second season.

But if you discount the later seasons you don't get that scene with Hiro and the other painter who paints the future, where he keeps on getting hit with a shovel. I remember it being hilarious.

I wonder how the remake/reboot of Heroes is doing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

MrFlibble posted:

Fuckin' NBC.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Hahahaha, OMG they're actually doing this. NBC must be green with envy that so many superhero shows are doing well on other networks after they poo poo the bed with Heroes some years prior.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd bet that the NBC execs think it was timing instead of Heroes being a bad show.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Flash and Heroes both have secret techniques to massively cut down on SFX cuts, but the problem with Heroes is that their technique was having Mohinder hold the door closed so they didn't have to show anything.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'd like to see a Heroes show along the lines of American Horror Story in which each season is its own thing.

Unless I'm mistaken that would be more in line with the original vision of Heroes.

I'm glad I gave up on that show after one season. People say it got bad after the first season but I thought the finale to s1 was so bad I just couldn't give any fucks about the next season.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Timett posted:

I'd like to see a Heroes show along the lines of American Horror Story in which each season is its own thing.

Unless I'm mistaken that would be more in line with the original vision of Heroes.

I'm glad I gave up on that show after one season. People say it got bad after the first season but I thought the finale to s1 was so bad I just couldn't give any fucks about the next season.

I gave up in the middle of the first season. Claire's whining was just dumb and annoying.
JUST ACT LIKE A NORMAL SANE PERSON AND TRY TO AVOID DOING THINGS THAT WOULD CRITICALLY INJURE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING YOU DUMB BIMBO CHEERLEADER.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I lasted until the start of the third season. The second was just a terribly crafted and soul crushing slog and S3 just started worse so I bailed. It was bad enough that not only have I never finished but I feel confident I won't given the new version a look out of pure principle.

There's like a million comic properties to choose from. Bury your failure.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

David D. Davidson posted:

I gave up in the middle of the first season. Claire's whining was just dumb and annoying.
JUST ACT LIKE A NORMAL SANE PERSON AND TRY TO AVOID DOING THINGS THAT WOULD CRITICALLY INJURE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING YOU DUMB BIMBO CHEERLEADER.

I was actually waiting for them to go some dumb emo cutting route with Claire.

THE ONLY WAY I CAN FEEL IS TO CUT OFF PART OF ME, REPEATEDLY. DAD!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Timett posted:

Yes, the original vision IIRC was that every season would feature [mostly] new characters and new storylines. But execs got convinced people become attached to characters (and they do, but so what) and long story short :barf:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Habibi posted:

Yes, the original vision IIRC was that every season would feature [mostly] new characters and new storylines. But execs got convinced people become attached to characters (and they do, but so what) and long story short :barf:

Really, they discovered that 18-49 year old males wanted to nail Hayden Panettiere and decided that nothing should change so people would keep wanting to nail her.

People give Fox a lot of poo poo for canceling good shows, but NBC deserves at least as much poo poo for both making lovely shows, and NOT canceling lovely shows about 10 years ago. Now if only CW could lose its stigma so I don't have to feel bad that, at one point, I was watching 5 CW shows at once.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I was actually waiting for them to go some dumb emo cutting route with Claire.

THE ONLY WAY I CAN FEEL IS TO CUT OFF PART OF ME, REPEATEDLY. DAD!

I'm 90% sure that actually happened in the last season.

It was after Sylar finally cut her head open and stole her healing. Turns out "Save the cheerleader, save the world was bullshit" since Claire was still alive and Sylar was still killable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I stopped watching when Sylar turned into a good guy. I think that was season 2.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
About 80% of Heroes was garbage. It had some really great things but overall it was a meandering, poorly plotted mess. In retrospect it seems pretty clear that Tim Kring had no real idea what to do with the plot past the first couple of episodes, and took way too much feedback from random homeless people on the internet. I expect very little from the reboot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even the end of the first season was pretty utterly terrible. Well, the last half of the last episode was.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The weirdest thing about Heroes is they kept on creating different characters with different powers just to keep Ali Larter on the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well they probably thought she was a ratings draw. I think this was just on the cusp of when having good IP started to be more important than having popular talent though, and their popular talent sticking around forever was resulting in terrible writing hurting the IP.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kruller posted:

Really, they discovered that 18-49 year old males wanted to nail Hayden Panettiere and decided that nothing should change so people would keep wanting to nail her.

People give Fox a lot of poo poo for canceling good shows, but NBC deserves at least as much poo poo for both making lovely shows, and NOT canceling lovely shows about 10 years ago. Now if only CW could lose its stigma so I don't have to feel bad that, at one point, I was watching 5 CW shows at once.

You forget that 18-49 year old females also wanted to nail Zachary Quinto.

I forget which comic book writer started working on the show partway through the second or third season. I remember him essentially plugging his Red Hulk book in the middle of the show. I want to say his presence helped send Heroes into the shitter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

The weirdest thing about Heroes is they kept on creating different characters with different powers just to keep Ali Larter on the show.

It's worse on Legends, she still cannot act worth a drat and plays a big role on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Xelkelvos posted:

You forget that 18-49 year old females also wanted to nail Zachary Quinto.

Well yeah to be fair Zachary Quinto was at least half of the 20% of Heroes that was not garbage. The writers did some dumb as gently caress things with his character but he was a real trouper.

• Locked thread