Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I was waiting for the cellmate guy to be revealed as a government agent sitting in jail with him to try to eventually pry information out of him but it turned out to be ghost dad. At the very least he could have been a real, physical person who sexually assaulted Will MacAvoy, who then proceeded to file rape charges but gets ignored because "lol you're in jail you were asking for it" so he uses his news show and the internet to name his rapist but then Don gives him a stern talking to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I want a music number at the end of the next episode. I want them to go three for three. I want them to fuckin' do it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No comment yet on how they spent four episodes going source source source non-stop. Get Will tossed in the clink. And then kill the source off screen.

So, what was the point of anything?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

So, what was the point of anything?

Thread title.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Thats actually a really good title for a news show.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Why wouldn't they have the source woman kill herself on screen anyways? That would be an extremely powerful scene.

Edit: Pussies

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 8, 2014

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Don: "You're right to name your attacker. You may even be obligated to."

OMG Don told rape victims to shut up!!

Her point of view on the value of the website was presented as legitimate, from my point of view... the only thing I'm willing to accept as Sorkin's 100% firm belief about the situation is that TV is a bad place to resolve rape accusations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, this episode was absolute dogshit.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Martman posted:

Don: "You're right to name your attacker. You may even be obligated to."

OMG Don told rape victims to shut up!!

Her point of view on the value of the website was presented as legitimate, from my point of view... the only thing I'm willing to accept as Sorkin's 100% firm belief about the situation is that TV is a bad place to resolve rape accusations.

"You're right to name your attacker. But I sure feel sorry that he isn't getting scoped by the NFL anymore, the poor little privileged poo poo."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Martman posted:

Her point of view on the value of the website was presented as legitimate

Except that it ignores due process and the code of law.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So Charlie really did turn from principled Newsman to slavering loud dogsbody for the new tech-billionaire owner between episodes, and it wasn't just me?

errad
May 31, 2013
I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see the end result of the leaks... We saw the documents delivered to an old lady - but the actual release of the information and the consequences thereof would have been interesting to see.

Wait why did ACN abdicate all responsibility? Also, how can they have all hands working on this major story for days only to forget about it - wouldn't that leave them with a lack of broadcast content?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I suspect that in the original draft of the season, before it got cut down, those 52 days were actually a bunch of episodes. So we missed Will and Charlie going crazy (without each other.)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Please come back and finish your toxx MrA. Your distressed reviews are the only thing that can unite the thread.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I presume they did something wrong this season when I started giggling as Charlie dropped on the floor to sad music. Yet ep 2 was so good. :(

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NomChompsky posted:

"You're right to name your attacker. But I sure feel sorry that he isn't getting scoped by the NFL anymore, the poor little privileged poo poo."
His argument was that, to whatever extent this guy's life could be damaged, the same could happen to an innocent person. At the end of the day his only actual advice as far as telling her what he thought she should do was not to have it hashed out on TV.

EDIT:

Girl: "I've weighed the cost/benefit. If another girl got raped because I didn't say anything or because someone else didn't say anything--"
Don: "I know..."
Girl: "You don't know."
Don: "And you're right about that too."
Girl: "Then what am I wrong about?"

And we cut away until the conclusion. Yes, Don reminds her that there are dangers to the website, but he doesn't say the dangers outweigh the benefits and he doesn't tell her she should stop with the website.

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 8, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Martman posted:

Girl: "Then what am I wrong about?"

Needing drugs to have a good time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god, you all need to shut up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, that's been long enough.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

MRAs watch The Newsroom.

Easily the best post in that entire awful conversation.

Also, I'm overdue:

Season 2, Episode 1: "First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All The Lawyers"

This one was late not because there was a lot to say, but because there was so little. The episode's practically made out of scraps of old ones and nothing much really happens anyway. There's no unifying idea or theme, it's not even really all that bad, but there's nothing to grasp onto within that.

The episode's really just setup, for one. We have yet another obnoxious framing device, though this one seems to be an entire seasonal arc because the opening scene is a full fourteen months in advance, with the bulk of the episode seeming to take place mere weeks after last season's finale. The episode largely deals with the fallout from the "Genoa" scandal where News Night alleged that the US used nerve gas, all of which which has been completely fabricated for the show, which is honestly kind of a relief at this point even if it contradicts the entire show's stated M.O. Or rather, because of it. Of course, after we find out the reason for all of this is a series of incredibly contrived circumstances, not the least of which involves fallout from the loving Jim/Maggie bullshit, it becomes near-impossible to take seriously in any capacity.

I realize this is the point where I should actually get to the next scene, but I have to stop for a moment and talk about that picture. That picture, of course, being of Maggie and her awful loving haircut. You see, at some point Maggie went to Uganda and things went crazy and she reacted to it by cutting off most of her hair and dying it bright red as if that wasn't the most shallow possible way to illustrate that crisis of character. The show even comments on how ridiculous that looks. It's insane.

When we finally do flash back, it's to Reese Lansing being prevented from entering a meeting on SOPA (way to get the dig in there at internet piracy, Aaron!) due to Will calling the Tea Party the "American Taliban," which is a statement I can't even really bring myself to defend because it's just pointlessly inflammatory and furthers no understanding of the issue. Leona then starts yelling at Charlie, which tells us immediately that the whole speech to Leona in the finale about having some standards didn't really take. Anyway, following this, Charlie tells Will he's going to have to take a vacation during the coverage of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, which Will understands as a "price of doing business." It's a decently effective scene, primarily because it's understated but also because Will isn't busy pushing his loving comedic agenda. He can almost be a sympathetic character when every sentence that comes out of his mouth isn't some sort of quip.

Meanwhile, ACN's correspondent on the Romney campaign bus gets dared to jump into a pool from the second story and breaks his ankle, and Jim, fed up with the awkwardness from Maggie, decides to take his place, which is immediately regarded as something he is massively overqualified for and too important to send to do, especially considering how far away the election is at this point, but he insists on it. I can relate, because I'd like to get as far away from any subplot involving Maggie as I possibly could, too. When he finally makes it to the bus, though, the "American Taliban" comment comes back to further bite News Night in the rear end when the staffer in charge prevents him from boarding, while also making a pithy comment about Obama's gas prices.

Later, Maggie catches Don leaving their apartment late at night, moving his things into a hotel for a few days. When pressed, he reveals that not only was her rant at the Sex and the City bus recorded by a tourist (are you loving kidding me), Maggie's cousin emailed it to him, and because Don is apparently a ridiculously nice person, he just explains he'd been feeling like a bad person for not being in love with her, tells her to call Jim and make him get off the bus, and leaves.

Needing to replace Jim, Mac calls in Jerry Dantana, who suggests a panel on drone strikes, including a different guy than Jim usually suggests, which massively backfires when the Jerry's guy, Cyrus West, goes on a rant about how civilian casualties are justified to catch terrorists and Will refuses to call him on any of it in order to not appear weak on terrorism in light of the Taliban comment. The team gets incredibly mad at Jerry, and Cyrus, desperate to be invited back, offers Jerry information on a massive story if he gets another chance: a black op called "Operation Genoa."

And, in a plot that began with me literally shouting "gently caress you!" at the screen, Neal begins a story into the beginnings of Occupy Wall Street. In his words, he " [believes] America is on the verge of starting its own Arab Spring." Why they're letting Neal run stories after what happened with the death threats is beyond me, but Terry Crews left to do Brooklyn Nine-Nine so I guess we're just gonna forget any of that ever happened. Neal idiotically shows up wearing his press badge despite them barring journalists from meetings, and tries to get information out of one of the organizers, as well as convince her that the expansion of their goals will only result in failure. The OWS stuff doesn't add anything to the episode, and it's really annoying.

This isn't an outright terrible episode, and despite being typically overstuffed it's not even broken structurally. There's a great scene near the beginning with the team scrambling to find workarounds for mistakes and technical issues in the middle of a broadcast, and it's actually pretty tense in its own right. Most of the scenes are good, even. But nothing gets resolved. It's all set up to a nebulous payoff, and it's not even a two-parter so I don't have the typical excuse of waiting until the next episode for that. Most of these just seem like plots, which is its own issue, because it's all spread too thin. The Neal plot gets three short scenes and Genoa only gets mentioned once outside of the flash forward scenes with the lawyers. It's all spread so thin the episode can't claim anything of its own.

• Sloan complains about casual sexism, and the show kind of presents her as being uptight for it, it's kinda weird. Sloan is the best and this show has no respect for her.
  • Don's started sitting in on News Night's rundown meetings in an amazingly transparent attempt to give Thomas Sadoski more scenes.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

The episode largely deals with the fallout from the "Genoa" scandal where News Night alleged that the US used nerve gas, all of which which has been completely fabricated for the show, which is honestly kind of a relief at this point even if it contradicts the entire show's stated M.O.

It's worth pointing out that whilst completely fictional, it's largely inspired by/based on a similar large gently caress up by CNN.

Not that that makes it any better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was that good scene you mentioned the one where they dub something on the fly? Because.....yeah, I remember that one single scene being pretty good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, that's the scene.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 3, Episode 6: "What Kind of Day Has It Been"

This one was late not because there was a lot to say, but because there was so little. The episode's practically made out of scraps of old ones and nothing much really happens anyway. There's no unifying idea or theme, it's not even really all that bad, but there's nothing to grasp onto within that.

~fin~

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Good evening.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nice to see the show ended on a high note. I thought last weeks episodes was one of the most misunderstood episodes of tv in a long time. Either that or people just enjoy being offended. That is not to say Sorkin doesn't have moments that come off as old white man syndrome, but I think last week was a perfect example of not that. He wasn't saying Don was right. He was simply showing a character having a strong point of view that wasn't supposed to be "right". More pointing out something rather than saying he thinks this is good or bad.
In the end I think that's really Sorkin's biggest writing weakness. He has strong good intentions, ones that are overlay optimistic, and come off as overly preachy. His ear for dialogue and banter though is so far superior to pretty much anyone else out there that there was never an episode of this show I didn't enjoy on it's own merits, even when there were flaws.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh well.

Season 1 and 2 each had really high notes that made it feel like a good investment. This season, not so much. I suspect it would have been better had there been more episodes, which sounds stupid considering how bad this season was. Anyway, I hope if/when Sorkin makes a new show, it won't be about a TV show. I think we can all agree he is talented. So do something good next time.

And not that this was a bad idea. It just didn't happen. Too much focus on stupid poo poo and not enough on things that matter. The show was at its best when it focused on real issues.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Olivia Munn acts like an autistic robot in every episode and it's terrible. But besides her, I really enjoyed this show.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Can someone remind me the significance of Charlie's yellow tie? I kept waiting for a flashback to explain that one too...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I enjoyed how Mac was a drunk before coming to News Night. Does it add depth? Not really but I guess it's an element of PTSD? Meh, it made me laugh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Can someone remind me the significance of Charlie's yellow tie? I kept waiting for a flashback to explain that one too...

He wore it in every scene.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
"It's a website, it doesn't have integrity" fuuuuuuuck you Sorkin

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Pudgygiant posted:

That's true though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pierson posted:

I want a music number at the end of the next episode. I want them to go three for three. I want them to fuckin' do it.

They most certainly did.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Jim's still a piece of poo poo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

At least the only black male character in the show finally got some characterization....he plays percussion!

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Pudgygiant posted:

I don't get this mentality. It was a character saying that, not Aaron Sorkin. And on top of that, when Will says it, we're all supposed to understand that he's wrong and appreciate how far he's come since Mac and Neal and the rest showed him the light.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

D-Pad posted:

At least the only black male character in the show finally got some characterization....he plays percussion!

Did you forget the part where he slept with every woman in the office?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Waltzing Along posted:

He wore it in every scene.

Didn't he usually wear a bow tie? Either way, I figured there was going to be some special story flashback reveal about its significance (beyond just his tie...) like other things in the episode. They made it seem to have more weight than just "his tie." I figured I was forgetting something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to know what BJ Novak's possible answer could have been for what a personalised soft drink is that begins with "it's a millennial-" before Leona cuts him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Was it really necessary to retroactively set up every single plot point.

• Locked thread