Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fathis Munk posted:

Have an intentional stdh.jpg

And then everyone stood up and clapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MRW Protestors playing dead in the ST keep the ambulance my sister is in from getting to the right hospital for her emergency

http://imgur.com/gallery/7GaJD2p

My younger sister is a tricky patient, she had her first open heart surgery at day 2 and has had 15 surgeries in the last 2 years to solve an arterial problem she now has. She has a group of specialized doctors and surgeons who know her and every medical issue she has in her records over at Boston Children’s and when she has an emergency those are really the people she should be seeing. She was taking antibiotics for a blood infection she got during her last surgery 2 weeks ago and had a sever allergic reaction to them yesterday which required her to be picked up via ambulance from her dorm. The children’s hospital is less than 3 miles from her school but the ambulance couldn’t get her there because of the amount of traffic caused by the protestors who seem to think the most effective way for them to encourage change is to block roads and major highways. Not only could she not get to the appropriate institution where the doctors are familiar with her specialized care but what should be 15 min trip for me to get to her at the ER took me an hour, and that honestly required me driving like a total rear end in a top hat. Now I understand that this is a special case and I’m not arguing whether or not these protestors are right or wrong or whether they have the right to gather because they do. However, I think the tactics they have chosen are completely dangerous not only for themselves but for everyone around them. If emergency vehicles can’t get patients where they need to be because you are blocking roads that is a problem. If people can’t get to their jobs (we all remember that guy) that is a problem. Causing chaos and severe congestion in a major city is nothing but angering and I just wish these people could find more productive and safe ways to inspire change. Rant over I just had to put that somewhere.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's from Boston, any trip would involve driving like a total rear end in a top hat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mameluke posted:

He's from Boston, any trip would involve driving like a total rear end in a top hat.

Seems legit to me; I was stuck in that on Saturday and was wondering if it was protesters again.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
"My sister is a tricky patient; it's hard to take care of someone who doesn't exist."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

This one makes me laugh every time. The fact they took some dude's name for their made up words is just too good. :allears:

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
One of those facebook linkbait sites, but still STDH:

http://www.tickld.com/x/christmaspartyin2014

Reads like one of those stupid loving right-wing "this is what's wrong with the leftist PC crowd" """"stories""""

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

One of those facebook linkbait sites, but still STDH:

http://www.tickld.com/x/christmaspartyin2014

Reads like one of those stupid loving right-wing "this is what's wrong with the leftist PC crowd" """"stories""""

It's at least 14 years old, too: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/humor/party.asp

At least they decide to throw the proper kind of office Christmas party at the end.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Each time I hear "This is gold", "You won't believe what she did", "his reaction is amazing" or any other phrase of the time I get irrationally angry behind my screen and just want to punch the author in his face.

Also goddamn it this story is obviously supposed to be a dumb joke what with the nervous breakdown and all that. Why are they trying to pass this off as something that happened. Who would believe that ?

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Dec 16, 2014

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Each time I hear "This is gold", "You won't believe what she did", "his reaction is amazing" or any other phrase of the time I get irrationally angry behind my screen and just want to punch the author in his face.

Also goddamn it this story is obviously supposed to be a dumb joke what with the nervous breakdown and all that. Why are they trying to pass this off as something that happened. Who would believe that ?

Post/avatar perfection.

The answer to your question is "middle-aged women on facebook."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fathis Munk posted:

Why did this chicken cross the road? You won't believe the answer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Fathis Munk posted:

#17 made me break down in tears and rethink my entire life.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah I remember seeing this joke on various humor websites in the late 90's along such other classics as the poo poo family, the guy who called another guy rear end in a top hat through the phone and made him fight a third guy and so on. poo poo was fuckin' hilarious back then because I was 10.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Fathis Munk posted:

But then you scroll down and read the comments.

"faith in humanity restored"

gently caress off :gizz:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

As someone from the Pet Peeve thread (I think) so eloquently put it, if your faith in humanity is so tenuous that it can be swayed by bullshit on the internet, how do you even function?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
(I’m at my in-law’s house. Her 18-year-old son and his 8-year-old nephew are shooting darts at a painting of an elk on the wall. The 18-year-old can’t seem to hit the elk, but the 8-year-old is doing great.)

Father-in-law: ”[18-year-old] can’t shoot fake elk, let alone real ones! I should take [nephew] hunting next year instead!”

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

(I’m at my in-law’s house. Her 18-year-old son and his 8-year-old nephew are shooting darts at a painting of an elk on the wall. The 18-year-old can’t seem to hit the elk, but the 8-year-old is doing great.)

Father-in-law: ”[18-year-old] can’t shoot fake elk, let alone real ones! I should take [nephew] hunting next year instead!”

8-year-olds, dude.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

corn in the bible posted:

It took me thirty seconds to understand what the hell is happening in this "story" and realize it is the most pointless thing I've ever read. That's a half minute I'll never get back :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drunk Tomato posted:

It took me thirty seconds to understand what the hell is happening in this "story" and realize it is the most pointless thing I've ever read. That's a half minute I'll never get back :(

Didn't you enjoy [anecdote]?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
What is it that makes these people so allergically averse to creating some placeholder names to help their stupid stories slightly more easily readable

I guess they assume that the coy yet specific vagueness lends credibility to the story. I can't fathom why they think this. I can understand (in some cases) not wanting to include the actual name of, say, the company to which you are employed, but there's really no reason not to just come up with a placeholder name for it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

#17 made me break down in tears and rethink my entire life.

This is literally the most hyperbolic article EVER! You won't BELIEVE #37!

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
At First, I Couldn't Believe What I Was Seeing. By 1:27 In, I Was Sobbing. When I Saw Her Reaction, I Was Speechless. By the End, My Life Was Changed.

[video is a poorly shot home movie of a man proposing to his girlfriend with a puppy; includes an unskipable :30 ad before playing]

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Double Plus Good posted:

At First, I Couldn't Believe What I Was Seeing. By 1:27 In, I Was Sobbing. When I Saw Her Reaction, I Was Speechless. By the End, My Life Was Changed.

[video is a poorly shot home movie of a man proposing to his girlfriend with a puppy; includes an unskipable :30 ad before playing]

For a second, I thought it was a Fapworthy title. "You won't believe how far this woman will go to get a job." "Hope you have some tissues handy. After 3 minutes of watching this, you're going to need them."

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

http://notalwaysworking.com/speaking-up-for-those-who-cant/33669

quote:

(I work in the IT office for a small distribution warehouse. Normally there’s a manager and two staff to answer calls in regards to shipping. We have a third person who does a lot of our picking and heavy lifting. He’s autistic and does not speak, instead communicating via sign language. He’s worked with the company for about seven years. We have a new manager who has taken a rather strong dislike to him because he does not speak. He never answers phones because he doesn’t talk, but is a lovely chap with whom I have the occasional conversation in broken sign. One day the phone rings.)

Manager: *eyes the phone and then the picker* “[Picker], you answer the phone. Now!”

(The picker looks confused and begins to sign ‘No.’ However, the manager interrupts.)

Manager: “I don’t give a s***! It’s about time you did some work around here! Now answer that phone before I sack you on the spot!”

(The picker looks distraught and continues to attempt to explain via sign that he cannot speak, but the manager ignores him. After a few rings, he very slowly and reluctantly picks up the phone, nearly in tears. He puts it to his ear and someone starts speaking. However, as soon as they do, he starts to press one of the numbers on the phone-pad.)

Manager: “What the h*** do you think you’re doing!?”

(The picker ignores her and continues to press the button over and over. After a short time he puts the phone down, turns around, and walks off.)

Manager: “HOW DARE YOU WASTE A CUSTOMER’S TIME AND WALK AWAY FROM ME WHEN I’M TALKING TO YOU! YOU’RE FIRED! GET THE F*** OUT OF HERE YOU F****** S***!”

(At this point the picker has walked away, and my coworker and I both feel bad for not interjecting. About half an hour later, the picker walks back into the room, followed by a man in a Hawaiian shirt. The picker says something in sign to the new man before pointing to the manager. The new man turns to the manager.)

Man: “You must be [Manager]. I had hoped to meet you under better circumstances, but instead it appears I will be meeting you under the guise of giving you your P45. My name is [Company CEO] and this is my brother, [Picker]. What you just did counts as discrimination against a worker. It was just cruel and completely out of line. I expect you to be out of this building within the next ten minutes; otherwise I’m going to call the police and have you forcefully ejected.”

(The manager’s face goes sheet white and she begins to stammer an apology, but the CEO has none of it and turfs her out. He double-checks with us as to what happened and checks the CCTV. Turns out he had been ringing into the office on his day off to make sure everything was all right and ended up having a conversation in Morse code over the telephone!)

Because obviously a CEO's brother is so poor he can't afford a smartphone with texting and thus needs to use Morse.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Gen. Ripper posted:

http://notalwaysworking.com/speaking-up-for-those-who-cant/33669

Because obviously a CEO's brother is so poor he can't afford a smartphone with texting and thus needs to use Morse.

You can tell he is the cool CEO because he wears a Hawaiian shirt.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I saw that episode of Quantum Leap

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Whoever wrote that never tried to communicate in morse code. poo poo's slow.

Over a touch tone phone with people who presumably don't do this poo poo often, you're talking like 30 characters a minute, if that. So about three and a half minutes for a tweet.

Unless the guy just went SOS over and over.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
This is my brother, Picker.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So why do they censor hell in STDH stories?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Because Not Always Right is a middle-aged lady place.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Nepotism saves the day again! Couldn't the CEO have just fired the manager for being an arsehole to a disabled person, don't see why it had to be his disabled brother.

Also, was anyone else picturing the CEO as Hulk Hogan?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Because why would you ever hire a disabled person unless it's your brother and you really don't have a choice.

Yeah that whole part did kind of bug me too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sharktamer posted:

Also, was anyone else picturing the CEO as Hulk Hogan?

Whatchoo gonna do
When At Will Employment runs wild on you?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
gently caress phone relays. I'm just going to punch the 1 button a couple hundred times.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
He's such a great CEO that he doesn't see fit to brief his managers if the employees working under them have disabilities that need accommodating.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Pththya-lyi posted:

He's such a great CEO that he doesn't see fit to brief his managers if the employees working under them have disabilities that need accommodating.

Well, I mean, it's just his brother, not anyone important.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Pththya-lyi posted:

He's so cool because he's being loving and giving by bravely hiring the brother who can't speak. That he never got around to telling the new manager that his brother was mute is beside the point; he wears Hawaiian shirts so you know he's the good guy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
You know the mono myth theory? I bet we could come up with a mono stdh theory. All these stories boil down to the same couple of situations with the same couple of archetypes.

The modern age's fairy tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Fathis Munk posted:

You know the mono myth theory? I bet we could come up with a mono stdh theory. All these stories boil down to the same couple of situations with the same couple of archetypes.

The modern age's fairy tales.

This is a great idea. I'm going to dig up my copy of the hero with a thousand faces.

• Locked thread