Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Online>With Anyone>For Glory/Fun>Team Smash>Two Players

I didn't get the two players option in Team smash, I will double check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

My theory has turned out correct:

The theory being that the Hardcore Smash Community is the only place on this planet you'll ever hear people unironically say how awesome of a company Capcom is and how much more Capcom cares about their loyal fans and customers than Nintendo does.

"Why doesn't Nintendo ask us hardcore pro Smash players how to design and balance their game? :qq:"

Probably because you're all horrible mutants who managed to get yourselves kicked from EVO at one point for stalking a child for beating your golden boy and one of your top players is mostly known by how much he jacks off on other people's sheets :shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well that's pretty lovely.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm kinda sad that they're (purportedly) not going to keep tweaking character balance, because while it's currently functional a lot of characters are still below par in comparison to the rest of the cast. Although, the way the article reads it could just be Sakurai personally that has no plans for future tweaking. There's nothing stopping him from delegating that job to the rest of his team. Plus, dude's got to be pretty sick of making Smash after four whole games, what with it loving up his arm and all. He probably just wants to do his own thing like with KI:U, but they keep dragging him back to this. Hasn't he gone on record saying that he's basically done with Smash after this?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah but he also said the same thing about every other Smash Bros game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He treats every Smash game as the final one to make sure he does a fantastic job on them, basically. Just because he has no plans to put out balance patches doesn't mean there won't be; I mean I'm pretty sure he went on record saying he had no plans to do DLC for Smash 4 but we're getting Mewtwo in like three months.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
According to a thread on Smashboards, that article was mistranslated/deliberately misleading. According to it, what Sakurai meant was that he didn't intend to make any drastic changes to any character's movesets (like, I don't know, turning Meta Knight's down air into his Project: M's divekick). The article says that character balance and "tweaks" - specifically mentioning Diddy and Luigi - are still being discussed.

So, who knows? We'll have to wait until the whole thing is properly translated and localized.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't take him saying he "has no plans" as meaning there won't be any more :v:

As a Lucina main though, if they don't patch again it would be supremely disappointing.

E: why Luigi though? Maybe it's due to skill differential between the people I'm playing when I play as him but he actually has some really nice combos when a lot of characters don't, and Down B is a great tool to approach quickly.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 15, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I hope they do end up doing more balance patches down the line, things are pretty good as they are but I'd like to see some of the lower ranked guys get a buff. DK needs some love. :saddowns:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

THE loving MOON posted:

DK needs some love. :saddowns:

Donkey Kong is overpowered in Trophy Rush.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So what exactly is happening on this victory screen?

Did she get knocked out? Decide to take nap in the middle of the pokemon arena? Eat a poisoned apple?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

there is absolutely no chance in hell that, when the Mewtwo DLC is released, there will be no tweaks to any other characters along with it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Random Stranger posted:

So what exactly is happening on this victory screen?

Did she get knocked out? Decide to take nap in the middle of the pokemon arena? Eat a poisoned apple?

The latter I think. Pit is crying as angels are known to do. And Sheik is there because only a true love's kiss can break the spell.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Known major upcoming patches:
-Amiibo functionality on 3DS
-Miiverse stage
-Tournaments
-Mewtwo

So yeah, that's multiple opportunities to sneak in some balance tweaks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

My theory has turned out correct:

The theory being that the Hardcore Smash Community is the only place on this planet you'll ever hear people unironically say how awesome of a company Capcom is and how much more Capcom cares about their loyal fans and customers than Nintendo does.

To be fair on this, do they actually lose out on anything by getting some input on competitive players? Provided inputs barriers like wavedashing aren't a thing I find it hard to believe anyone outside that group would be particularly bothered if Donkey Kong's punch came out slightly faster.

E: Also Maple Leaf, it is time.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Someone dug into Smash4 and found a hidden Palutenas guidance talking about an "intruder from another dimension"
Since Palutena says she has no data on them I doubt it's Mewtwo or Snake, sounds like it could be a complete surprise

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

.TakaM posted:

Someone dug into Smash4 and found a hidden Palutenas guidance talking about an "intruder from another dimension"
Since Palutena says she has no data on them I doubt it's Mewtwo or Snake, sounds like it could be a complete surprise

Maybe that was supposed to be the line for a Mii Fighter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finally Nintendo acknowledges Missingno

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It could just be a stock conversation for use with all DLC characters so they don't have to round up the voice actors to record new lines every time.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So I've been playing around with some of Wario's custom moves lately. I'd like to share my thoughts on some of them.

The bite is already a great move all around, and you can be forgiven for assuming that the others probably aren't worth it. The inhaling chomp is probably the better of the two custom moves. While it is useful to mess with people who are in the air and eat your bike from far away, there is a bit of ending lag to it if you miss and you'll probably end up getting about 2-3 chomps out of it before someone breaks out of it, so if you get a lot of your damage from biting, you may feel the sting a bit. However, it may also be a great way to stage spike someone since you're chomping less. Unfortunately, the Garlic Breath isn't very good. It takes a bit too long for the breath to come out, and while being able to stun people may sound appealing you miss out on 2 important features of the bite: having an air grab and being able to eat projectiles, especially his own bike. If you do end up using it, I suggest using the Speeding Bike so the bike will be more likely to fall off stage.

The Speeding Bike is pretty great all around. Being faster means being harder to react to, and this bike can get you back on stage from almost anywhere using it. As long as you're fine with not being able to turn around or drop your bike on stage, this is a bike well worth using. Just be weary that the bike has less health and is more likely to explode when someone attacks it. The Burying Bike, however, is disappointing. While it it nice to be able to bury someone and attack them (yes, you can jump off the bike fast enough to follow up), they get an increased KO resistance while buried, making it only useful for racking up damage. I don't really feel like Wario needs help building damage. He needs help KOing people. In addition the bike is much heavier, making it more difficult to recover. You may need to use the Corkscrew Leap if you use the Burying Bike.

Wario's regular up-b has never been good. It's short ranged, it doesn't do that much damage, and it's pretty terrible for KOing. Which is why I highly recommend his Widescrew. Seriously, it's sorta like having a Mario Tornado. You can move to the side using the move (though it is a short distance), plus due to the low angle it knocks people in, it's seriously a pretty good KO move when you're opponent is at around 120%, especially when you're near the edge. You might think that his Corkscrew Leap, being the generic up-b that trades damage for distance, would be another good alternative, but my biggest problem with it is that Wario will zip right past the ledge during the move, so you need to get a sense of how low you need to be before you use it. This puts you at a risk of being spiked by someone, since this is not an attack at all. Plus, I've never really need extra distance from the corkscrew, and even using the Widescrew will get you where you need to, especially with the Speeding Bike.

Rose-Scented Waft is garbage. There is no point in landing a move that does damage over time when you can use a move that KOs at a low damage anyway. It does charge faster than the regular waft and it can do a lot of damage, but if you can consistently land farts on people to do damage ... why not use the fart that kills instead? As for the Quick Waft ... uhh ... I might be in the minority here, but I think it's great, possibly as good as the regular waft. If you don't know, the waft has 4 different stages. For the regular waft, it's the final 2 that are the most important (the 3rd stage is optimally what you want to aim for), but for the Quick Waft, it's the first 2 stages that are the most important. There is pretty much no lag on using them, and the fart has surprising range on it. With the Quick Waft, you're pretty much a mobile banana that can trip people anytime you want, leading to easy follow-ups. You want to aim for the 2nd stage, since that's the fart that'll really let you combo into killing moves like your Up-Smash and even his Forward Smash.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Being able to patch the game at all, and being willing to do so to fix broken characters, already gives this game way more potential longevity than any other entry in the series. Continuous fine tuning in non-emergency cases would be great, but if they opt out of that, eh it sucks but isn't the end of the world. I still wish they'd give Olimar one or two more pikmin and some real B moves, but oh well.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 15, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Imp Zone Smash tournament finals are being streamed now! http://www.twitch.tv/lanceking2200_

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
How do you actually beat classic 9.0 without dropping a stock

I really need tips because I want this loving achievement done. I can finish classic 9.0 but I always die because I end up running in a counter or some poo poo that just sends me flying, or wombo-combo'd by like 5 computers.

Help.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 15, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Gather up all of your tears from finding out Marth sucks rear end, use them to get food with Marth, and then use his counter a lot.

Or play as DK and be cheap the whole way through.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

noirstronaut posted:

Gather up all of your tears from finding out Marth sucks rear end, use them to get food with Marth, and then use his counter a lot.

Or play as DK and be cheap the whole way through.

I'm gonna assume you meant good and not food

I will try my best, thanks for the input

Any suggestion for the equipment?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

"Why doesn't Nintendo ask us hardcore pro Smash players how to design and balance their game? :qq:"

Probably because you're all horrible mutants who managed to get yourselves kicked from EVO at one point for stalking a child for beating your golden boy and one of your top players is mostly known by how much he jacks off on other people's sheets :shrug:
Also, who the gently caress found chain grabs to be a super interesting or fun mechanic? Not to mention the new ledge mechanics are a major change for the series and I think just about everyone likes them.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Rorus Raz posted:

Also, who the gently caress found chain grabs to be a super interesting or fun mechanic? Not to mention the new ledge mechanics are a major change for the series and I think just about everyone likes them.

I met a competitive smasher a few months ago who had already written For Wii U off because the new ledge mechanics meant they couldn't edgeguard the way they wanted.

(like melee. they couldn't edgeguard like they could in melee.

in case that wasn't clear)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's good that there's a game to suit everyone's tastes!! But I feel like the two-stock meta of Smash4 is the most engaging to spectate for the widest swath of people, you don't get big stock gaps and comebacks are always possible, and they're just really tense matches to watch. The game is also really well-balanced, all sorts of characters pop up in the Top 3s. They did a good job making this video game for us.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Reiley posted:

It's good that there's a game to suit everyone's tastes!! But I feel like the two-stock meta of Smash4 is the most engaging to spectate for the widest swath of people, you don't get big stock gaps and comebacks are always possible, and they're just really tense matches to watch. The game is also really well-balanced, all sorts of characters pop up in the Top 3s. They did a good job making this video game for us.

Not everyone at the competitive level is in favor of the two-stock system, but the funniest thing I've heard is that two-stock rules don't give people a chance to come back from a deficit.

Because being in rage on your second stock and proceeding to take both stocks off of your enemy isn't a comeback and also rage is dumb because in Melee fart fart fart.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Any quick tips for Sheik v Mac? I must have lost ten games in a row last night to this one guy. I probably just need to work on hitting those back airs more reliably or something but man he's so slippery aaaaa

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Not everyone at the competitive level is in favor of the two-stock system, but the funniest thing I've heard is that two-stock rules don't give people a chance to come back from a deficit.

Because being in rage on your second stock and proceeding to take both stocks off of your enemy isn't a comeback and also rage is dumb because in Melee fart fart fart.

It reminds me of best-of sets from traditional fighters, which I think is a good addition to the series, but I also feel like its easier for more people to follow on top of just being the newer game. Smash4 is really good to spectate with a low barrier of entry.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bluff Buster posted:

So I've been playing around with some of Wario's custom moves lately. I'd like to share my thoughts on some of them.

The bite is already a great move all around, and you can be forgiven for assuming that the others probably aren't worth it. The inhaling chomp is probably the better of the two custom moves. While it is useful to mess with people who are in the air and eat your bike from far away, there is a bit of ending lag to it if you miss and you'll probably end up getting about 2-3 chomps out of it before someone breaks out of it, so if you get a lot of your damage from biting, you may feel the sting a bit. However, it may also be a great way to stage spike someone since you're chomping less. Unfortunately, the Garlic Breath isn't very good. It takes a bit too long for the breath to come out, and while being able to stun people may sound appealing you miss out on 2 important features of the bite: having an air grab and being able to eat projectiles, especially his own bike. If you do end up using it, I suggest using the Speeding Bike so the bike will be more likely to fall off stage.

The Speeding Bike is pretty great all around. Being faster means being harder to react to, and this bike can get you back on stage from almost anywhere using it. As long as you're fine with not being able to turn around or drop your bike on stage, this is a bike well worth using. Just be weary that the bike has less health and is more likely to explode when someone attacks it. The Burying Bike, however, is disappointing. While it it nice to be able to bury someone and attack them (yes, you can jump off the bike fast enough to follow up), they get an increased KO resistance while buried, making it only useful for racking up damage. I don't really feel like Wario needs help building damage. He needs help KOing people. In addition the bike is much heavier, making it more difficult to recover. You may need to use the Corkscrew Leap if you use the Burying Bike.

Wario's regular up-b has never been good. It's short ranged, it doesn't do that much damage, and it's pretty terrible for KOing. Which is why I highly recommend his Widescrew. Seriously, it's sorta like having a Mario Tornado. You can move to the side using the move (though it is a short distance), plus due to the low angle it knocks people in, it's seriously a pretty good KO move when you're opponent is at around 120%, especially when you're near the edge. You might think that his Corkscrew Leap, being the generic up-b that trades damage for distance, would be another good alternative, but my biggest problem with it is that Wario will zip right past the ledge during the move, so you need to get a sense of how low you need to be before you use it. This puts you at a risk of being spiked by someone, since this is not an attack at all. Plus, I've never really need extra distance from the corkscrew, and even using the Widescrew will get you where you need to, especially with the Speeding Bike.

Rose-Scented Waft is garbage. There is no point in landing a move that does damage over time when you can use a move that KOs at a low damage anyway. It does charge faster than the regular waft and it can do a lot of damage, but if you can consistently land farts on people to do damage ... why not use the fart that kills instead? As for the Quick Waft ... uhh ... I might be in the minority here, but I think it's great, possibly as good as the regular waft. If you don't know, the waft has 4 different stages. For the regular waft, it's the final 2 that are the most important (the 3rd stage is optimally what you want to aim for), but for the Quick Waft, it's the first 2 stages that are the most important. There is pretty much no lag on using them, and the fart has surprising range on it. With the Quick Waft, you're pretty much a mobile banana that can trip people anytime you want, leading to easy follow-ups. You want to aim for the 2nd stage, since that's the fart that'll really let you combo into killing moves like your Up-Smash and even his Forward Smash.

I appreciate this post, and would like to say words of my own.

The strength of Garlic breath is not in the idea of stunning someone onstage, but rather making an extremely annoying and persistent hitbox that can make it really difficult for many characters to recover. Just stand at the ledge and exhale some garlic, and you'll be knocking opponents back again and again. Giving up your Bite is pretty big though, and I'd only do it for specific matchups against characters with weak recoveries. I don't like inhaling chomp because the damage you do with his regular chomp is really important, at least for me.

I haven't used Widescrew at all, so I just figured that Corkscrew Leap was the best option just to improve his recovery, but I'll have to give it a try.

I like Rose Scented Waft because I don't hit my farts very often. The faster charge and the fact that you don't need it to kill for it to be useful is something I like, and it's still possible to kill offstage with it. I never thought of that use for Quick Waft though, that's pretty interesting. How consistent is that tripping effect?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I've been playing on and off with a tourney smasher for a few weeks now who has nothing but complaints about the game. We usually have 5 or 6 when we get together to play so we end up doing 8-player, sometimes with teams, sometimes without, just so everyone can get in on it. Last time we played, she spent the whole time complaining about how everything was unfair bullshit because it's not 1v1 no items and also you die too quickly. :mad: THESE LEDGE MECHANICS ARE STUPID, YOU SHOULD DEAD

I swear, pro smashers are way more resistant to change than the community in any other fighter I've ever played. If it isn't exactly the same as what she's been playing for years, it's crap. :(

Also, I'm better with Lucina than Marth because Awakening is a better game than any one Marth has ever been in :whatup:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

I've been playing on and off with a tourney smasher for a few weeks now who has nothing but complaints about the game. We usually have 5 or 6 when we get together to play so we end up doing 8-player, sometimes with teams, sometimes without, just so everyone can get in on it. Last time we played, she spent the whole time complaining about how everything was unfair bullshit because it's not 1v1 no items and also you die too quickly. :mad: THESE LEDGE MECHANICS ARE STUPID, YOU SHOULD DEAD

I swear, pro smashers are way more resistant to change than the community in any other fighter I've ever played. If it isn't exactly the same as what she's been playing for years, it's crap. :(

Also, I'm better with Lucina than Marth because Awakening is a better game than any one Marth has ever been in :whatup:

Items are unfair bullshit but she should still chill out about smash

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I can't believe how many people are attached to the old hoggable ledge mechanics. Such an abstract and passive way to finish your opponent. The game is better without it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I can't believe how many people are attached to the old hoggable ledge mechanics. Such an abstract and passive way to finish your opponent. The game is better without it.

The way more significant problem with the game is how good defensive options are, and in particular how easy it is to powershield compared to earlier games.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Items are unfair bullshit but she should still chill out about smash

Well yeah, I usually turn off the gust jar, the, drill, galaga, and a couple others myself. I also like doing 1v1 no items. But jeez, how do you get into smash in the first place if you can't have fun just playing the odd free-for-all, bullshit and all, the way god intended? :confused:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Well yeah, I usually turn off the gust jar, the, drill, galaga, and a couple others myself. I also like doing 1v1 no items. But jeez, how do you get into smash in the first place if you can't have fun just playing the odd free-for-all, bullshit and all, the way god intended? :confused:

That is weird as hell and getting mad about video games.

If people aren't doing 1v1s I have no problem bringing out the items but my group generally doesn't use them much.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Never thought of using the Garlic Breath for edge-guarding purposes, and I can see some fun ledge-shenanigans. I still feel like it's a bit outclassed by regular bite in sheer versatility, though.

As for the rose-scented waft, perhaps I was a bit rough on it. For what it's worth, it does build up damage pretty quickly even when using the lower stages of the waft and I could see someone having built up so much damage that even the weaker moves will KO.

With the Quick Waft, you will always trip someone as long as they are standing on the ground. You want to use the second stage of the waft so Wario isn't scratching his head (not that it's terribly long or anything. You just want all the time you need when someone trips and the second stage bypasses that head-scratching animation). Plus, once your opponent is a bit over 100%, you can still charge the fart to maximum to get a reliable off-stage kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
It's taken me a long time of doing a lot of Team Battles and Smashes, then shifting to One on One to realize... I'm really bad at One on One. Pressure is not my strong point. I crumple when I don't have a more aggressive teammate distracting the enemy, and I suck at learning which moves out-hit other moves against spammier characters (which seems like it's a lot of them, this time around).

• Locked thread