Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget what I was watching that reminded me of it but I hate "dying last breath dramatic statements/clues to the crime" where the guy or girl manages to get that last vital piece of information out right before they pass away.

LA Confidential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget what I was watching that reminded me of it but I hate "dying last breath dramatic statements/clues to the crime" where the guy or girl manages to get that last vital piece of information out right before they pass away.

What's even worse is when someone almost gives the solution to the crime or identity of the killer or whathaveyou like this frustrating scene in Naked Gun 2½

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

See also: The character looks like they're about to die but a single tear lands on their forehead/cheek and they spring back to life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been watching The Sopranos lately and it reminded me of the translation discussion. Quite often they leave whole conversations in Italian untranslated which is fine as it adds to the atmosphere. For example I just watched the episode where Furio beats the poo poo out of the brothel owner and his Filipino wife and he repeatedly speaks to them in untranslated Italian. It adds to the scene because he's presumably shouting insults and threats and it sounds the same to the viewer as it does to the two characters who haven't a breeze what he's saying.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
That the power of love/anger makes a character overcome something that they were otherwise losing to.

Has there ever been a movie where a character sees a loved one die, and instead of reinvigorating and taking their revenge, gets killed aswell?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

That the power of love/anger makes a character overcome something that they were otherwise losing to.

Has there ever been a movie where a character sees a loved one die, and instead of reinvigorating and taking their revenge, gets killed aswell?

Does 300 count?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In Terminator 3 Arnold says he's 2 fusion cell batteries or something and if they get damaged the explode in a thermonuclear blast. One gets damaged and gets thrown out a car where it explodes, and the other one blows up when he gets crushed by the blast door.

So why the gently caress didn't the fusion cells explode in the first movie when the Terminator gets crushed by a hydraulic press or in the second one when he gets dipped into molten steel?

Also in the second movie why was there a metal foundry open and running in the middle of the night?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Terminator 3 Arnold says he's 2 fusion cell batteries or something and if they get damaged the explode in a thermonuclear blast. One gets damaged and gets thrown out a car where it explodes, and the other one blows up when he gets crushed by the blast door.

So why the gently caress didn't the fusion cells explode in the first movie when the Terminator gets crushed by a hydraulic press or in the second one when he gets dipped into molten steel?

Also in the second movie why was there a metal foundry open and running in the middle of the night?

Graveyard shift dude.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

IT wasn't a foundry, it was a Fire and Steam Factory. They only exist for cool movie battles to happen in. You can't see it, or hear it over the noise, but Connor MacLeod was beheading someone two floors up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's not the same Terminator. Presumably the T3 one was a slightly different model.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Yeah I think the one in T3 was a T-850 instead of a T-800?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

Shawn Of The Dead. One of the characters gets pulled through a window after being eaten and his GF goes nuts, goes outside, and is never seen again.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

EmmyOk posted:

I was responding to the person who said Hafþór probably could explode a man's head.

Haha my bad dude. I forgot the character's actual name and just subbed in the actor I guess.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

IUG posted:

Shawn Of The Dead. One of the characters gets pulled through a window after being eaten and his GF goes nuts, goes outside, and is never seen again.

I think there's some extra content where they say that she survived by climbing up a tree and eating his leg to survive, but I might have hallucinated that in a drunken stupor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elderbean posted:

I think there's some extra content where they say that she survived by climbing up a tree and eating his leg to survive, but I might have hallucinated that in a drunken stupor.

Was she not alive in the epilogue?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Here's something that We Hate Movies brought up that, now that I think about it, annoys me retroactively:

Disregarding variations, zombies generally have two traits to them: they have an irresistible desire to eat living flesh, and that a bite makes the living into zombies.

So why the hell are there so many zombies around in these movies? Wouldn't most of the Potential Zombies be picked dead clean (pun not intended, but I like the sound of it) by any zombies nearby who have no reason to stop eating a victim until it's nothing but bone?

The hardest suspension of disbelief for me in zombie movies/shows is how animals suddenly disappear. The more aggressive carrion animals would disintegrate the entire zombie population in no time. Coyotes, buzzards, crows, and even all the roaming dogs now without owners would have no problem taking down a bunch of slow-moving exposed meat frames. Once you get into the country bears would keep pretty much every forest zombie-free.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danger Mahoney posted:

The hardest suspension of disbelief for me in zombie movies/shows is how animals suddenly disappear. The more aggressive carrion animals would disintegrate the entire zombie population in no time. Coyotes, buzzards, crows, and even all the roaming dogs now without owners would have no problem taking down a bunch of slow-moving exposed meat frames. Once you get into the country bears would keep pretty much every forest zombie-free.

Or that no one would use bicycles. An inexpensive, fuel-free, easy to maintain (and obtain) transportation that lets you outpace zombies (even fast ones). Also most of them can go off road and transport at least 2 people. Nope, instead everyone drives around in cars or if their car breaks down, they just walk. Put like 2 bikes in the trunk or on the roof!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Or that no one would use bicycles. An inexpensive, fuel-free, easy to maintain (and obtain) transportation that lets you outpace zombies (even fast ones). Also most of them can go off road and transport at least 2 people. Nope, instead everyone drives around in cars or if their car breaks down, they just walk. Put like 2 bikes in the trunk or on the roof!

Bicycles are bad for product placement in a show for plebs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

syscall girl posted:

I think it's also partially because hollywood thinks bicycles are unsexy/uncool. I can't think of a single example of an action star using a bicycle, ever.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Ha, that reminds me of the first couple seasons of Walking Dead with their embarrassing truck and SUV product placement. Good thing we found this brand new 2013 Hyundai Tuscon without a speck of dust on it. That was released *after* the setting of the show.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

I think it's also partially because hollywood thinks bicycles are unsexy/uncool. I can't think of a single example of an action star using a bicycle, ever.

Premium Rush.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BiggerBoat posted:

Hate Burn Notice all you want, but they handled this better than the show deserved in one of the later episodes. Protagonist is going to meet his handler for a mission debrief and to get more info on who was behind burning him in the first place and arrives to find the other agent shot and gasping out his last breath. Cue "Who did this?!" from the hero, while the dying agent only croaks out something about his wife. No last second accusations, no cryptic hints, nothing but a (plot wise) meaningless last emotion from a dying man.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Away all Goats posted:

Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson steal some bikes from some kids in DIe Hard with a Vengance.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, that's on the "Plot Holes" DVD extra. She still exchanges Christmas cards with Shaun and Liz.

syscall girl posted:

Premium Rush.

True, and that was a dope movie. Oh, and Jeff Goldblum's character rides a bike in Independence Day, though he's supposed to be an eco-hippie type.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Danger Mahoney posted:

This zombie plot whole is discussed in the Zombie Survival Guide. It describes that the virus that animates humanity after death is fatal to pretty much everything else.

World War Z goes a bit more in-depth about it; humans can train dogs to knock down zombies, but they have to do it without biting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Away all Goats posted:

It's not a zombie thing, but in Stephen King's The Stand various characters try to use vehicles but the roads are so jam-packed that they're basically useless. One guy decides to ride a motorbike so he can weave in and out of traffic but after some trauma leads to a near crash he can't stomach doing it any more so he just takes to walking. Later on another character he joins up with suddenly just stops and says,"....why the hell aren't we riding bicyles?"

The sad thing is I think these are the only characters in the novel who even consider that. Everybody else either rides motorbikes/scooters or walks.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Away all Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddHfau_ONSw&t=3440s
Watch about 30 seconds of this for a good example of a health-conscious chase scene. Then start at the beginning and watch the whole thing. One of my favorites.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

This zombie plot whole is discussed in the Zombie Survival Guide. It describes that the virus that animates humanity after death is fatal to pretty much everything else.

Like every attempt to close up plot holes in a zombie story, this just raises more questions. If all the animals are dead, dying or greatly reduced in numbers, doesn't that destroy every ecosystem on the planet and indirectly kill all the people? And what sort of virus can just infect every species?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think the implication is that the animals are still around, they just avoid the zombies, and since we're always around zombies, we're not going to see very many animals. Also, if it did destroy every ecosystem, it would still take a long time for humanity to die off due to that sort of thing. Humans wouldn't just drop dead instantly as soon as the last deer got chomped on.

Furthermore,

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Dec 15, 2014

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson steal some bikes from some kids in DIe Hard with a Vengance.

And in Die Hard 2, Bruce Willis briefly chases a man while riding a bike - I think in the luggage area.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
World War Z had a prominent bicycle scene.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Away all Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phtEQ2RBx2A

First one I thought of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the foreign language thing...

When the first Iron Man came out I remember someone in CD mentioning that they went with a friend who speaks whatever language Tony's kidnappers use.

The dialogue is unsubtitled but apparently it actually reveals that Stane is the villain right in the first few minutes.

Jerusalem posted:

It's not a zombie thing, but in Stephen King's The Stand various characters try to use vehicles but the roads are so jam-packed that they're basically useless. One guy decides to ride a motorbike so he can weave in and out of traffic but after some trauma leads to a near crash he can't stomach doing it any more so he just takes to walking. Later on another character he joins up with suddenly just stops and says,"....why the hell aren't we riding bicyles?"

The sad thing is I think these are the only characters in the novel who even consider that. Everybody else either reads motorbikes/scooters or walks.

The obvious path through the traffic is something that always makes me laugh in disaster movies.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

When the first Iron Man came out I remember someone in CD mentioning that they went with a friend who speaks whatever language Tony's kidnappers use.

The dialogue is unsubtitled but apparently it actually reveals that Stane is the villain right in the first few minutes.

Does this irritate you? I actually find it pretty awesome. The Thing did this too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not really, I was just adding an example.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

What, Pee Wee Herman doesn't count?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder what language that happens in. It's not the Arabic, which is Egyptian Arabic and kinda funny for it because the closest Arabic speakers would be in Iran and Iraq, which have significantly different dialects than Egyptian. But the movie goes out of its way to say that the militia group member are from all over and speak many languages, so the distinction is accounted for.

On the other hand, the few subtitles for the Arabic are not very accurate iirc.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Van Dis posted:

I wonder what language that happens in. It's not the Arabic, which is Egyptian Arabic and kinda funny for it because the closest Arabic speakers would be in Iran and Iraq, which have significantly different dialects than Egyptian. But the movie goes out of its way to say that the militia group member are from all over and speak many languages, so the distinction is accounted for.

On the other hand, the few subtitles for the Arabic are not very accurate iirc.

I'm not 100% sure but I read somewhere that it's Urdu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

It spoils the "LOOK AT DECADENT MODERN SOCIETY CRUMBLE" wanking if perceived-as-goofy modern technology continues to function just fine or even becomes the new standard for survival.