Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Yet it's totally normal to carry a phone that's bigger than your hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kitten smoothie posted:

Unless you want to buy booze, because they'll still ask for ID. :(

The Disney iOS app is pretty awesome for queuing up a bunch of theme park fastpasses while you're there.

drat, you're right. I better order a Book Book from Twelve South to hold my ID and phone :v:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/11/smartphone-drivers-licenses-iowa/

Iowa bitch! :c00lbert:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

:lol: when you have to hand your unlocked phone to a police officer for 20 minutes while he's in his car during a traffic stop. this is such a horrible implementation of this it's insane.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nerdrum posted:

:lol: when you have to hand your unlocked phone to a police officer for 20 minutes while he's in his car during a traffic stop. this is such a horrible implementation of this it's insane.
Leave your license in your glove box, use your phone to buy beer. :confused:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems rather trivial to capture the screen and change the photo out.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smackfu posted:

It seems rather trivial to capture the screen and change the photo out.

Obviously there will be protections, and I'm sure a cop will be more wary of a mobile license than a physical one, and there will be extra verification measures. i.e. punch in the license code on the cop's in-car computer and the same photo, name, address should pop up.

I'm not sure about the advantages this has over a physical card. The state will still issue a physical card so there won't be any gov't cost savings. I will still carry a physical card for the aforementioned reasons. I'm usually all for advances like this but this one specifically seems like a waste of resources.

Love the mobile insurance cards that most places offer though! Every state should allow that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

nerdrum posted:

Or you use Guided Access and giggle with glee as the cop tries and fails to leave your ID screen. :eng101:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys are loving dumb if you don't just carry a wallet. Every time I wear pants I have my IDs and cash and I never notice. These high tech yet worse ways of solving simple problems like "how do I have a drivers license" are really stupid.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

fleshweasel posted:

You guys are loving dumb if you don't just carry a wallet. Every time I wear pants I have my IDs and cash and I never notice. These high tech yet worse ways of solving simple problems like "how do I have a drivers license" are really stupid.

I agree about the wallet but I rarely if ever carry cash, unless I know in advance I will have to use some. I hate cash, and coins especially.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The website creativemarket.com keeps crashing Safari. When I am looking at the pictures section the screen will go black and the apple logo will appear. Has anyone else experienced this? It works fine on my iPad mini but not my phone. When I look at other sites they work fine.

EDIT: It works fine on an iPhone 5. I should also say that my phone is a iPhone 6+.

NinetySevenA fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 12, 2014

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

fleshweasel posted:

The one time I can see this thing being useful is if I am going to a concert or some big event with lots of hosed up people. I usually just take my ID, a credit card and cash when I go to these types of things for fear of getting pick pocketed or whatever. If I can have my ID (and credit card too I guess with Apple Pay) then that is less poo poo for me to carry and worry about.

Otherwise just use a wallet like a normal person.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dutchbstrd posted:

The one time I can see this thing being useful is if I am going to a concert or some big event with lots of hosed up people. I usually just take my ID, a credit card and cash when I go to these types of things for fear of getting pick pocketed or whatever. If I can have my ID (and credit card too I guess with Apple Pay) then that is less poo poo for me to carry and worry about.

Otherwise just use a wallet like a normal person.

Wouldn't count on anything at a place that's not a chain to support Apple Pay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NinetySevenA posted:

The website creativemarket.com keeps crashing Safari. When I am looking at the pictures section the screen will go black and the apple logo will appear. Has anyone else experienced this? It works fine on my iPad mini but not my phone. When I look at other sites they work fine.

EDIT: It works fine on an iPhone 5. I should also say that my phone is a iPhone 6+.

Verified. Just tried on my 6+ with 8.1.2 and it crashed hard. I was able to scroll down about 10 pics and BOOM.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it was a crash to the home screen. It did not reboot.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 13, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a way to play music while listening to a podcast without jailbreaking? I need as many audio layers as I can get. I usually use Downcast if that helps at all.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

flosofl posted:

Verified. Just tried on my 6+ with 8.1.2 and it crashed hard. I was able to scroll down about 10 pics and BOOM.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it was a crash to the home screen. It did not reboot.

Well at least it's not my phone that is broken.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

kitten smoothie posted:

The Disney iOS app is pretty awesome for queuing up a bunch of theme park fastpasses while you're there.

Wait what?? You guys are both talking about Disney World right?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Christoff posted:

Wait what?? You guys are both talking about Disney World right?

I was, at least.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not sure this is the right thread, but what's the behavior supposed to be for messags across iPhone, iPad and Mac. Are these separate copies that just get all the messages or should they all be in sync or what?

I noticed that when messages or conversations got deleted on one device they were still present on the other devices, so just trying to figure out if that's normal or something is borked. (Everything is on iOS 8.whatever and Mac is on Yosemite)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's like POP I think, everything receives the message but doesn't sync after that.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah message history is device independent.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yeah message history is device independent.

Supposedly, yet new devices sometimes get history for recent messages. Or it seemed at least when I just set up a new Mac.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
This is likely a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an iPhone 6+ and a pair of bt headphones, the JBL E40BT. They are comfy and the fidelity is nice, but I feel the volume could be louder. Is there a way to make this happen, or are these just abnormally quite headphones?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Supposedly, yet new devices sometimes get history for recent messages. Or it seemed at least when I just set up a new Mac.

I believe in setting up a new device access it pulls recents, because I've seen this behavior as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

I believe in setting up a new device access it pulls recents, because I've seen this behavior as well.

Huh, my messages sync across all my stuff. I just had a SMS convo with my future sister-in-law last night regarding the holiday feast schedules on my MBP. I just checked my iPhone and iPad and the entire conversation is there. I've also checked my other conversations and they are all the same across my devices as well. But deleting only hits the local. That's annoying.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 15, 2014

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Which colours of leather case supposedly age badly? I have the black one and I love it but I was thinking of grabbing another colour to have some variation.

I quite like the look of the red or white ones.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
White probably ages poorly if you don't wear white pants all the time. Actually, probably all of them except black and dark blue get stained and worn from your pants.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aged brown leather is a classic look, bright colors and white are just going to look like poo poo

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Aged brown leather is a classic look

The brown does look rather nice. Anyone have any pictures after some use?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

101 posted:

The brown does look rather nice. Anyone have any pictures after some use?

Here's mine that I've had since around a week after launch:

You can see it's gotten dark on the edges

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Aged brown leather is a classic look, bright colors and white are just going to look like poo poo

Yeah I had a red leather case for my 5 and it was looking burgundy on the edges after about a years worth of use.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Here's mine that I've had since around a week after launch:

You can see it's gotten dark on the edges

Still looking pretty swanky.

Thanks!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Here's what red looks like, about 2 months in:

http://imgur.com/crEHncN

Zwille fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 15, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mine after almost 2 months. it's a great case, and i am 100% satisfied with it so far.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For those with the leather cases, how do they handle drops? I'm still on Otterboxes as I'm absolutely horrified of screen breakage, but I'd like to enjoy sleekness again.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also for those with leather cases - how slim are they?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Avocados posted:

For those with the leather cases, how do they handle drops? I'm still on Otterboxes as I'm absolutely horrified of screen breakage, but I'd like to enjoy sleekness again.

It's barely there. It doesn't protect.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Also for those with leather cases - how slim are they?

Very.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's a thick padded leather though. So it'll probably protect from minor drops, but I'm not willing to test it out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Avocados posted:

This will probably switch everyone from case chat to screen protector chat, but the biggest thing is won't protect is the screen, so the leather case and a glass screen protector would do pretty well. People have different opinions, but I don't notice the screen protector personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I had a red leather case on mine and I dropped it 2 feet stepping out of my car and the screen shattered. Ymmv.