Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Yes, thanks to Patton I learned about Ten Cent Beer Night and the Cuyahoga setting on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I love that the very end of the I Was There Too theme song always flows into a different classic theme. There's been Somewhere Over The Rainbow and The Godfather theme for sure, not sure what else though

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Riptor posted:

I love that the very end of the I Was There Too theme song always flows into a different classic theme. There's been Somewhere Over The Rainbow and The Godfather theme for sure, not sure what else though

It was utterly hilarious that Paul F. Thompkins was the inaugural guest on yet another podcast.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can't imagine being a regular listener to TGS.

It's not bad unless you're listening at 1x. :shobon:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A chipmunk taking ten minutes trapping itself in a recursive explanation of why it's funny sounds pretty good.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PFT is on Todd Glass this week.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The Ape of Naples posted:

PFT is on Todd Glass this week.

yessss

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The bad news is that while the show runs for almost 180 minutes, 100 of those are part of what Greg Proops would call "the boring, preachy part" and what Todd calls "the pre-show".

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

The bad news is that while the show runs for almost 180 minutes, 100 of those are part of what Greg Proops would call "the boring, preachy part" and what Todd calls "the pre-show".

not a bad ratio for the todd glass show tbh

also PFT is good at being funny and enjoyable to listen to while also being serious

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I would say the funny stuff starts at 1:45 in. But it's PFT so the preachy part isn't as bad as normal.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

I would say the funny stuff starts at 1:45 in. But it's PFT so the preachy part isn't as bad as normal.

Yeah, plus I'm listening to it now and there are important things being said. It's not Todd complaining about hotel linens or whatever. But still, I get that there are people who just want to listen to the funny stuff.

I like listening to the boring preachy parts the first time usually, assuming the guest is someone like PFT or James Adomian who I actually want to hear opinions from. My problem is that I relisten to TTGS episodes a lot. TTGS and the PFT eps of SPY are my goto when I want to listen to something but there's nothing new to listen to. So I end up listening to the Rory Scovel eps over and over again because those have the highest ratio of silly to serious. I listen to the PFT eps of SPY a ton but hardly ever his TTGS eps.

Also, at least the last hour or whatever of this episode isn't a psychologist or whatever that guy was on the last PFT ep.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Illinois Smith posted:

I've considered this before, I think Proops slips into the boring preachy part more easily than Todd does, and does the whole thing more fluidly and eloquently. I listen to Greg's Boring and Preachy part, but probably close to half the time skip Todd's rants.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crankit posted:

I've considered this before, I think Proops slips into the boring preachy part more easily than Todd does, and does the whole thing more fluidly and eloquently. I listen to Greg's Boring and Preachy part, but probably close to half the time skip Todd's rants.

The nice thing about the boring-and-preachy part is that Proops is interesting and funny enough that it's usually not that boring.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

PFT is tough but fair, if Jake can't do the phone sound effects right then it will totally throw off the show and he deserves to be fired.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

prefect posted:

The nice thing about the boring-and-preachy part is that Proops is interesting and funny enough that it's usually not that boring.

that's almost exactly what i was hinting at but i didn't wanna seem like i was being rude about todd

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What does Todd go on about in the episode? Is it the same rant about saying bad words?

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
The thing about Greg though is that he's more articulate, and typically does at least some research on things before going into his segments. Not only that, but he can still be funny when he's in his "boring, preachy part." Todd just ends up yelling at some hypothetical nitwit. No offense to him, but I'm not so sure he knows how to truly approach his arguments from an unbiased, neutral position. Although to be honest, sometimes Greg Proops makes me feel like I'm a villain for being a white man, and he can also come across as a white knight in that he does a lot of preaching for women. It's always for important issues, but sometimes it seems like a bit much. I'll always listen through his, though.

It's not really anyone's place to say Todd can't have his serious parts of HIS show, but he isn't always the best at it. And unfortunately, it tends to only work out well if his guest is a comedian capable of carrying the conversation through in a logical, constructive and vaguely entertaining way. When he has his "family shows," the others in the rooms don't really fill that void. I hate to say it because they're all probably good friends of Todd's and whatnot, but the show just derails or slows to a halt. Those are usually the same episodes where he takes a sound clip from Family Guy and loops it for forty minutes. He needs someone to keep him in check, or in a less aggressive way of putting it he needs someone to shepherd him into the pen with the rest of the subhuman animals. Jimmy Pardo is one of the best guests for this because he won't wait a second to point out when Todd is doing anything... excessively Todd-like. In this last episode, PFT pointed out Todd stares at sticky notes through dead air before having Aristotle play the same jingle again. That's the sort of thing that just carries on for an hour or so when no one is there to counter him.

And it's a drat shame that it's come to the point where I feel like I have to critique him online anonymously to get the frustration out. But I don't think he would read this as an email because it's too negative or something. I remember when he read that Jared92 guy's review out loud, sometimes over music, multiple episodes in a row back some time ago. He got so worked up over one comment. That was a bit much. Can't imagine how he would feel if someone tried telling him the show needed another comedian to guest-host so it doesn't lose steam.

Drunkboxer posted:

What does Todd go on about in the episode? Is it the same rant about saying bad words?

At least part of it is. It's hard to tell sometimes, because... well, who knows. I just don't quite remember what happens for about an hour.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

He needs Rory or Daniel or someone like them. Even when Rory comes back to be a guest it's a totally different vibe.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

He needs Rory or Daniel or someone like them. Even when Rory comes back to be a guest it's a totally different vibe.

Rory's a good one. He's one of the best for silly bits.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't mind Todd ranting, it's just he rants about the same thing in the exact same way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crankit posted:

that's almost exactly what i was hinting at but i didn't wanna seem like i was being rude about todd

I've never listened to Todd Glass, so I don't want to make it look like I was putting him down at all. I just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading that Proops's "boring, preachy parts" are a lot better than you'd think, given their name. :)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
:siren: THE BEST SHOW IS BACK :siren:

http://thebestshow.net/

Streaming right now until 12am EST!

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've been listening to The Worst Episode Ever (A Simpsons Podcast) a bunch recently. By virtue of being about The Simpsons and exploring the non-classic episodes it's a pretty funny podcast, but the hosts are funny as well. Although now I'm watching way more new Simpsons episodes than I ever thought I would.

Facebook

Since it's pretty new you can easily start at Episode 1, but I think the "That 90's Show" Episode is a pretty good place to get a good feel for their fair assessment of a pretty disliked episode while still trying to tear it apart for humor's sake.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

poorlifedecision posted:

I've been listening to The Worst Episode Ever (A Simpsons Podcast) a bunch recently. By virtue of being about The Simpsons and exploring the non-classic episodes it's a pretty funny podcast, but the hosts are funny as well. Although now I'm watching way more new Simpsons episodes than I ever thought I would.

Facebook

Since it's pretty new you can easily start at Episode 1, but I think the "That 90's Show" Episode is a pretty good place to get a good feel for their fair assessment of a pretty disliked episode while still trying to tear it apart for humor's sake.

The latest episode looks pretty good -- it's the only one where I've actually seen the episode (:corsair:), and I distinctly remember it as part of the reason I stopped watching the Simpsons. Will check this out. :thumbsup:

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

The latest episode looks pretty good -- it's the only one where I've actually seen the episode (:corsair:), and I distinctly remember it as part of the reason I stopped watching the Simpsons. Will check this out. :thumbsup:

Yeah that was the only one I had seen before as well. I honestly hadn't seen a full episode beyond maybe the 12th season that I could remember so a lot of the episodes were really surprising, and I don't think I'd ever have checked them out had I not listened to the podcast.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Saddlesore Galactica is definitely the episode that killed whatever interest I had left in The Simpsons, so that was a good pick to start the podcast with.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pete Holmes has a 2 hour and 48 minute interview with Dana Carvey on today's You Made It Weird.

Listening to it, I love it cause I love Pete Holmes. I imagine that if anyone who hates Pete Holmes listens to this they will be driven to suicide quickly because Dana Carvey is almost out Pete Holmes-ing Pete Holmes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

poorlifedecision posted:

Facebook

Sweet, I am still genuinely mostly positive about the Simpsons (don't know why) and The Simpsons podcast is perfect. I enjoyed That 90's Show when it aired, so gonna listen to this.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

poorlifedecision posted:

Facebook

Thanks for the suggestion, this is a great premise for a podcast and it's being executed well so far. Despite the show's title, the hosts' approach is fair and balanced and they look for the virtues of each episode while dealing with the legitimate garbage it's buried in.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I wish there were more love for Race Wars; the latest episode has Judah Friedlander on it and he loving rules so hard on it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

I wish there were more love for Race Wars; the latest episode has Judah Friedlander on it and he loving rules so hard on it.

Good. Those black Israelites or whatever were the worst loving guests ever and the one after got annoying quick too.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Kurt and Sherrod have some silly ideas about discussing things with people who have no intention of discussing things amiably or respectably.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know why this is so funny to me but Todd Glass posted pictures of himself with Harry Styles from One Direction and now he has a bunch of 15 year old girls tweeting at him

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

New episode of Lou Reads is available.

Wet Set - A Panty & Panty Pooping Paradise.

Its gross but makes me laugh.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Oh poo poo, Proops may or may not be coming to Switzerland. The closest thing I've ever had to seeing a comedian / podcast guy I like live was Henry Rollins!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Illinois Smith posted:

Oh poo poo, Proops may or may not be coming to Switzerland. The closest thing I've ever had to seeing a comedian / podcast guy I like live was Henry Rollins!

I want to say he's been there before but I might be wrong. Maybe Norway. But to an American that's pretty close.

FYI: That was a joke. Even as an American I'm aware that they aren't that close to each other.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

King Lou posted:

New episode of Lou Reads is available.

Wet Set - A Panty & Panty Pooping Paradise.

Its gross but makes me laugh.

Oh man, I can't wait to listen to this later. I really enjoy the disgusting fetish/drug addict episodes more than the crazy episodes but they're still good too.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

The Duke posted:

Oh man, I can't wait to listen to this later. I really enjoy the disgusting fetish/drug addict episodes more than the crazy episodes but they're still good too.

Crazy like "are demons real?" or crazy like "I like to find poo poo in my girlfriends underpants"?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
So the MBMBAM guys have a new podcast called Adventure Zone, where they play D&D with their dad. It's loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wafflesnsegways posted:

So the MBMBAM guys have a new podcast called Adventure Zone, where they play D&D with their dad. It's loving awesome.
Never listened to My Brother & Etc but I think I'll check this out.

• Locked thread