Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Sounds familiar, except we had 4 tests and an ATI final. I could've sleepwalked through clinical, but of course its first year....they don't expect you to know anything.

LoveMeDead posted:

ED nurses tend to have a low opinion of med/surg nurses. A lot of them think they are the poo poo because of the stuff they have to deal with. I'm helping in the ED now when I don't have a CCU patient, and the attitude of some of them really pisses me off. Mostly the day nurses. The night nurses I work with are pretty great, but still have the superiority complex at times.

As I've said before, I float, so I'm all over the hospital, and I get to see both sides of this. The ED nurses can't usually understand how with only 4 or so patients that are relatively stable all the time how floor nurses can claim to be so busy, and most floor nurses can't seem to understand how ED nurses can seem to be in such a rush when they don't seem to do most regular care they'd expect on the floor. A lot don't understand how different the two's job roles can be, and it creates conflict.

The one thing I get a kick out of is floor nurses are convinced the ED waits to send patients up til change of shift, but they seem to forget that the d/c that they don't get around to til halfway through the shift or later, once the room is cleaned and assigned, its just about the end of shift. That and the people in the waiting room don't really care whether you're going home or not, they just want to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I got 100% on the last exam

I could swing this before nursing school. I am happy with a B- nowadays. :feelsgood:

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
yeah, i finally am not getting As anymore. And I'm very ok with it. Ugh nursing school.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This is a general question for everyone... What EMR does your hospital use? How do you and your coworkers like it? We currently use Mckesson's Horizon Clincals but we are in the process of looking for our next system.

Anyone have experience with Paragon or Cerner?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

This is a general question for everyone... What EMR does your hospital use? How do you and your coworkers like it? We currently use Mckesson's Horizon Clincals but we are in the process of looking for our next system.

Anyone have experience with Paragon or Cerner?

We use Cerner. Meh. It's slow and not very intuitive. I'm sure the hospital went with it because it was the cheapest option.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't have experience with anything else, but Cerner's...alright. Its slow and some things are just a pain to do, like how we have to launch another program for lab draws that's also slow. It also has a lot of features that are outright irritating because they're useless to where I work, but we're expected to use them, namely the task list. And, this is probably less the software and more about my over-charting neuroticism, but I find myself double-charting a lot and, after I click through all of the options, writing up a narrative note in the comments on whatever system I was doing my assessments on, including feeling a need to write up a little description of what "within normal limits" means. Other units, based on what we get from the floors, don't seem to do that.

And for some reason, my blood pressures off an art line don't cross over to the vitals section but go exclusively under the hemodynamics section. Cuff pressures do the opposite. Whatever. I guess that'd be useful if I regularly used both pressure monitoring systems simultaneously, but then I can't document that I'm doing that. So, like everything, that just gets commented in.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Had our final exam yesterday. I passed, thank god, but many did not.

Current estimate is 14 people did not make the grade they needed on the final in order to pass the class.

Highest grade was an 86%, and that girl won't actually pass the class because she needed an 89.

Even the two girls who have maintained almost an A average only scored 84s.

The student who wrote a "perfect" care plan paper (faculty wanted to put it in their portfolio to show ACEN accreditation) missed her goal score on the final by 2 points.

This loving sucks. gently caress this loving program. These are good people, who would make fantastic nurses.

But the rumors were true about this program having a 60%+ attrition rate.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
If the highest grade in a reasonably sized class was an 86 they should be curving.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Bum the Sad posted:

If the highest grade in a reasonably sized class was an 86 they should be curving.

You can't curve nursing school scores. Either they know it or they don't. Also I think 18 people in my school failed on either pharm or fundamentals and they will be out(unless they failed pharm and can retake it this winter) I got a 85 on the pharm final somehow but my previous test average was 80 so I must have barely passed. Pharm for us is a 1
Credit class and fundamentals is 3. Of course the pharm was harder for everybody. Almost everybody.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I don't know, whenever I hear of a test that had a lot of unusually low scores, what happens is the test is looked at and the questions that had the highest amount of "misses" get looked at closer to make sure the language wasn't intentionally misleading or that had more then one possible solution, or other sorts of issues. There have been a few tests where they just threw out some questions giving people who got them wrong some extra points.

Actually in one recent case, there was a question that had an answer that directly contradicted something said in lecture so that was thrown out causing a big stink.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Anonymous Pie posted:

Any psych nurses here? Ive been working as a nurse tech for a few months at a great inner-city inpatient psych unit. Love it.
How long have you been in psych? How do you like it? Is burn out high?

My manager has said in so many words that she'll hire me out of school. Makes me happy!

Yes hi. Only a few months now. Most of the time it's pretty chill but every once in a while things get intense and we call in additional staff. From time to time someone in the acute wing gets grabbed or bitten or something and you do have to be aware of yourself and surroundings.

So far, I'm not experiencing any situations that would lead me to feel personally powerless/burnt-out. It's important that you do not forget that medicine is a business and that access to care for the uninsured is completely lovely, that psychiatry is a medication-oriented field and at times there is no professional talk therapy available for patients except you. Knowing those things, you do the best you can for your patients by listening and empathizing and educating when you can. There are many nurses who have been here for a while, and also many of them who are going back to school to do other things (myself included).

The role of the psych nurse can feel somewhat limited. I did my practicum at the SICU of a large university hospital and coming to psych was like slamming on the brakes. As you have observed we do very little in the way of nursing interventions. If you are interested in psych nursing, I find it helps to observe and work on your communication style.

E: Our scores were not curved per se, but the instructor did a statistical analysis of the questions and gave points back for ones deemed 'unfair'.

Madame Psychosis fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 10, 2014

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

LorneReams posted:

I don't know, whenever I hear of a test that had a lot of unusually low scores, what happens is the test is looked at and the questions that had the highest amount of "misses" get looked at closer to make sure the language wasn't intentionally misleading or that had more then one possible solution, or other sorts of issues. There have been a few tests where they just threw out some questions giving people who got them wrong some extra points.

Yes, this is exactly what my school does sometimes. Our tests were routinely curved at least a few points.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I feel like such an rear end in a top hat but the first semester was pretty easy. I got an A in the final and ended up with a 97% in the class. So that's an A for fundamentals and an A for med-surg 1. In our face-to-face clinical evaluation my professor said next semester would be more challenging and I'm looking forward to it. I have worked as a nursing assistant for 8 years though, and had lots of nurses mentor me and urge me to get my RN.

My partner keeps telling me I'm being braggy, but I feel like I can't tell my classmates about my success, so I tell him. It's so hard being good at nursing school /A-student problems

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LorneReams posted:

Actually in one recent case, there was a question that had an answer that directly contradicted something said in lecture so that was thrown out causing a big stink.

Yeah they did this. Didn't announce it, havent released the revised test scores, but final class grades are up and lots of people that were looking at 79 or less swung their "C" (80).

Based on the people that made it, they had to have thrown out at least 7 questions. Probably more.

I dont know what that means.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Jamais Vu Again posted:

It's so hard being good at nursing school /A-student problems

I always became super stressed out before exams and just wanted people at home to tell me everything was going to be okay, but I kept passing them so well that no one would comfort me. They'd just flap their hands at me and say "you'll be fine".

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Graduated and pinned yesterday :)

edit: oops, way too big, sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I have a few friends that graduated from Uconn. You should do well.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I'm starting a new position at a Surgical Trauma ICU at a level I trauma center in January. I'll get to trade in my old geezers with pneumonia and CHF from the MICU to GSWs and ATV/Train/MVA accidents. I'm looking forward to it (relatively) as the unit is newish, has lots of light, and they send about 10 people anesthesia school every year.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm starting a new position at a Surgical Trauma ICU at a level I trauma center in January. I'll get to trade in my old geezers with pneumonia and CHF from the MICU to GSWs and ATV/Train/MVA accidents. I'm looking forward to it (relatively) as the unit is newish, has lots of light, and they send about 10 people anesthesia school every year.

Every year? They must constantly go through new nurses. I don't know how many nurses it would take to staff an ICU but a loss of ten would be felt, I
Imagine quite hard.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: FINALS WEEK! :siren:

Med Surg 1 and OB/Communtiy

See you goons on the other side!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

You can't curve nursing school scores. Either they know it or they don't.

This isn't really a factual statement. Humans are fallible and teachers are human. At least one or two questions are thrown out every test at my school because the question was worded confusingly or there were actually two answers, not because we didn't know the material. This is different from a curve though since it's not just adding points on the end, it's going through the test line by line to see which questions were unfair. The sort of teachers who give tests that the entire class bombs who don't go through to check for bad questions are terrible teachers. If it's not a confusing question problem then it's a teacher problem for not doing their job and teaching the class the information they needed.

So I actually came here for a really random question.... I always forget my watch and they've started taking clocks out of the rooms. I want to get a stethoscope watch but I've seen really mixed reviews for the ones I can find online. Has anyone tried one out they really liked?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wouldn't, but that's because I almost never take my stethoscope into isolation rooms. If you really need your watch (which I haven't missed at work yet) I'd just get a really small one and work at keeping it on. Alarm reminders or whatever.

And since I came here for a random question, is flight nursing in Alaska as fun as it sounds? In my mind, you'd do a lot of helicopter rescue and/or fixed-wing ICU to Seattle (?). Anyone know anything more about it?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

they've started taking clocks out of the rooms.

What!? They plan on replacing them, right? If I were a patient and couldn't see a clock it would drive me nuts. Having a visible clock is also a tool for preventing delirium, not to mention if something happens like a seizure or a cardiac arrest, whoever is in there needs to be timing stuff and it's a lot easier to have one clock that everyone can read at the same time.

Edit: I have a question too.

Last year I did some international medical/disaster relief work and I took a LOA for three weeks. I asked my manager before signing up and was told I could and should do it, she was very supportive. In a couple weeks I need to take a six week LOA (which she has verbally pre-approved) because I'm having hip surgery, and it's going to be pretty short-notice since HR won't let me start the paperwork until I have a date for the surgery, which makes a challenge from her point of view since the schedule is already out through January. I recently found out there's an opportunity to go on another medical relief mission next summer, but I would need to take another LOA for two to four weeks. So, that would be three LOAs in two calender years.

I would need to sign up sooner rather than later, so my options are
1. Get the LOA for my surgery approved and simultaneously ask for a verbal pre-approval for a LOA next summer before signing up for the mission, or
2. Sign up and don't bring it up to my manager until I know if/when I'm going, which could be several months from now, or
3. Don't sign up for the mission at all because that's a lot of LOAs.

Thoughts?

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 16, 2014

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

Every year? They must constantly go through new nurses. I don't know how many nurses it would take to staff an ICU but a loss of ten would be felt, I
Imagine quite hard.

There are about 80-100 at any given time in the MICU and about the same number in the Trauma ICU where I will be. I'm not sure what the general turnover is like at the new place, but after 2 years in the MICU I'm almost exactly 1/2 way up the seniority tree. Obviously retention is an issue but I don't think it's too crazy for a large university/research hospital ICU.

I have my first and very likely most painful anesthesia interview in two days. Evidently the program directors just grills you for hours on clinical/technical info. So I'm going down into a rabbit hole of vasopressors, mechanism of action, waveforms, and receptors sites for the next day and a half.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011
Fellow nursebros, I'm graduating from a community college with my RN this spring of 2015. I probably will take the NCLEX during July of 2015. I've already been accepted in an RN-BSN program which will take another year to complete.

How can I land my first RN job as a new grad from a community college? BTW I"m located in NYC. Will it help me that I'm enrolled in a BSN program?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

LordAnkh posted:

Fellow nursebros, I'm graduating from a community college with my RN this spring of 2015. I probably will take the NCLEX during July of 2015. I've already been accepted in an RN-BSN program which will take another year to complete.

How can I land my first RN job as a new grad from a community college? BTW I"m located in NYC. Will it help me that I'm enrolled in a BSN program?

How are your fellatio skills these days?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Roki B is wise beyond his years. It would behoove any nurse here to heed his words.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Roki B posted:

Yeah, no kidding.

LordAnkh
Sep 18, 2011

Roki B posted:

Welp.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Also graduating with an ADN in May.

Welp2.0

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
High compete area? ADN degree? New grad?

Really hope you have been networking / got a job as a CNA in the place where you want to work or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Well, I'm planning to go to VCU for my BSN, as they have a well regarded ADN-BSN transition program.

The VCU Medical Center also has a really swank New Grad program that will hire you before you take the NCLEX and pay for a Kaplan NCLEX prep course, so that's my hope for employment. Its a huge hospital system, so they hire lots of nurses.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Annath posted:

Well, I'm planning to go to VCU for my BSN, as they have a well regarded ADN-BSN transition program.

The VCU Medical Center also has a really swank New Grad program that will hire you before you take the NCLEX and pay for a Kaplan NCLEX prep course, so that's my hope for employment. Its a huge hospital system, so they hire lots of nurses.

You're not in any danger of not finding a job, you don't live in NYC where is is nigh impossible to find a job without a degree and/or previous experience in a big legit hospital.

While there is a general nursing shortage, know that there is no shortage of qualified people that want to work in big cities.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Madame Psychosis posted:

You're not in any danger of not finding a job, you don't live in NYC where is is nigh impossible to find a job without a degree and/or previous experience in a big legit hospital.

Oh thank god. I was getting a bit worried what with graduation looming over me.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
If you're still in school, go to whatever hospital you want to work and talk to the volunteer coordinator there. I volunteered for a year at my current employer while in school and every single interviewer has asked about it for all my nursing jobs at that hospital so far. Also don't be afraid to apply to nursing homes/rehab hospitals/etc if it's your first job. it's better than sitting around for a year with your thumb up your rear end hoping to land a super competitive hospital job with no experience.

Either that or work on losing your gag reflex as described a couple posts above.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Dr. Capco posted:

If you're still in school, go to whatever hospital you want to work and talk to the volunteer coordinator there. I volunteered for a year at my current employer while in school and every single interviewer has asked about it for all my nursing jobs at that hospital so far. Also don't be afraid to apply to nursing homes/rehab hospitals/etc if it's your first job. it's better than sitting around for a year with your thumb up your rear end hoping to land a super competitive hospital job with no experience.

Either that or work on losing your gag reflex as described a couple posts above.

With the amount of Nurse Job postings I see and the current ongoing shortage of nurses how can it be so hard to get a job? This makes no sense to the regular joe in me.

Does anyone work for the federal government specifically the DOD as a nurse? I want to work for them as a civilian when I get done and wanted to know some more about the hiring process.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dr. Capco posted:

If you're still in school, go to whatever hospital you want to work and talk to the volunteer coordinator there. I volunteered for a year at my current employer while in school and every single interviewer has asked about it for all my nursing jobs at that hospital so far.

Yeah we're not allowed to do that or we'll get kicked out of the program. We can work for pay as CNAs/their equivalents, but nothing that could be construed as a preceptorship.

I've posted about it before, either here or in the Healthcare Stories thread, but my school is hosed up.

Loskene
Apr 1, 2006

Be correct, we do not tolerate deciet
I'm currently registered to do two pre-req courses in order to qualify for admission into a two-year RN program at my local university. It's a program that requires an existing degree (I have two, a business degree and an arts degree) and a 3.0 GPA for consideration (I have a 3.41). Before I spend eight months of my life doing the courses I wanted to find out the exact criteria for admission. The admissions office has been pretty evasive, telling me that the only thing that really matters is having a 3.0 GPA, the pre-req courses and an academic reference. I have all of these.

I've not really been able to find a lot of information on who gets in. They can't/won't tell me the average GPA of the last batch of admitted students and the only person I could find who has done the program is a math major who go accepted on a full scholarship and a 3.9 GPA so not a good gauge of an average applicant.

The program is the BSn Fast Track Option at Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Given that I have above the minimum GPA and an academic reference, what would be my chances given that I do not have a science background?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Annath posted:

Yeah we're not allowed to do that or we'll get kicked out of the program. We can work for pay as CNAs/their equivalents, but nothing that could be construed as a preceptorship.

I've posted about it before, either here or in the Healthcare Stories thread, but my school is hosed up.

I mostly stocked supplies/linens and got coffee for patient's family members when i did it. You should ask if it's ok with your advisor or whoever could give you information because that seems like a really stupid rule. If that's not allowed, then welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Loskene posted:

Given that I have above the minimum GPA and an academic reference, what would be my chances given that I do not have a science background?

Probably fine, I didn't and I went to a much bigger college.

Madame Psychosis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 21, 2014