Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Dear Gajin:

Why is there no "arcade-realistic" mode wherein I can have fun playing with realistic flight models and do summa dat pilot poo poo but also not spend approximately three years climbing before I can do anything fun?

Kisses, ChickenWing.

Also I played my first RB since I started playing this game the other day and man oh man I couldn't do poo poo all in my FW-190 U/5. Can't climb high enough to get above other people, can't turn hard enough to juke the spitfires that managed to collectively climb about a kilometer higher than me. Somebody tell me how to RB so I stop being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ChickenWing posted:

Dear Gajin:

Why is there no "arcade-realistic" mode wherein I can have fun playing with realistic flight models and do summa dat pilot poo poo but also not spend approximately three years climbing before I can do anything fun?

Kisses, ChickenWing.

Also I played my first RB since I started playing this game the other day and man oh man I couldn't do poo poo all in my FW-190 U/5. Can't climb high enough to get above other people, can't turn hard enough to juke the spitfires that managed to collectively climb about a kilometer higher than me. Somebody tell me how to RB so I stop being bad.

There are a lot of good players (tm) playing duels, but that is pretty much RB/AB but 2v2. Spawn 7 km apart or so at the same altitude, guns turned off for 30 seconds-ish, fight to the death.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Just play in the current 2vs2 RB event. It's awesome:

Bonus points available for killing ponies:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Floats event is on and they just added a new plane allowed -

The He51 float plane :)

edit: Change that they now added all Planes with floats (except any new Japanese ones), so Floats silliness just intensified

ukle fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 14, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ChickenWing posted:

Dear Gajin:

Kisses, ChickenWing.

Start by not using a Fw-190, it's not a friendly plane for new players or at least use the A4 which is more reasonably tiered.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Helter Skelter posted:

4chan may have popularized it recently, but it's far older than that.

I'm quite dismayed to find out that its now a meme rather than an expression.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
damug can't record so I'm posting this amazing piece of flying on his behalf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Phuc1lM8A

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Just play in the current 2vs2 RB event. It's awesome:

Bonus points available for killing ponies:

My strategy for head ons in RB is 'don't do them because i will always die no matter what evasive maneuver I take or when I start it' and my 100% loss rate in duels is the inevitable consequence of that: I only survive to get into a merge a minority of the time and then it's because my opponents are good enough to kill me in it anyway :toot:

damug
Jun 21, 2004

AhrimanPK posted:

damug can't record so I'm posting this amazing piece of flying on his behalf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Phuc1lM8A

That's some of that hardcore red tails pilot poo poo right there. Good set of low tier Japanese games this morning dudes.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Haven't played in a while, I'm surprised they didn't go with the B-45 for America instead of the Canberra.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Haven't played in a while, I'm surprised they didn't go with the B-45 for America instead of the Canberra.

Probably did the Canberra so they could get more planes for less work. :effort:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

El Disco posted:

Probably did the Canberra so they could get more planes for less work. :effort:

I think they're cooler than Canberras

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

ukle posted:

Floats event is on and they just added a new plane allowed -

The He51 float plane :)

edit: Change that they now added all Planes with floats (except any new Japanese ones), so Floats silliness just intensified

I don't know if they're going to add it, but there was a float variant of the N1K... and also even the Spitfire iirc.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hahahaha, yessss I got myself one of those Stormfront guys.

Me: So glad I got rid of the Tiger, as lovely in WT as it was in real life.

Pubbie: lol obvious troll is obvious

Me: But it was terrible.

Pubbie: Tell that to the four american crews or twenty russian crews they needed to kill one.

Me: Now you're gonna tell me Rommel wasn't a nazi or that the Confederacy could seccede.

Pubbie: Rommel was a war hero. And the Confederacy was fighting for state rights, not slavery. You should stop with your propaganda spiel. It is shameful.

Forgot to screenshot it, so I felt sad. Just for a bit though, because five minutes later...

gently caress yeah pubbie, you tell me.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

That'd ruin the event I think if they included the float fighter planes that aren't the dinky ones usually in. We wouldn't have the H6K's and Catalinas chasing each other anymore as the beefier fighters shoot them down.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Thief posted:

I don't know if they're going to add it, but there was a float variant of the N1K... and also even the Spitfire iirc.

The N1K started out as a float plane. For japanese aviation the first letter denotes the type, N is for float. Yes, I've turned into a plane nerd.

Edit: No A6M2-N for the event? That's a shame.

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 14, 2014

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

The A6M2-N has never been in the event. If they do put it in, everyone will probably be flying that instead of the biplanes.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I've been spending a couple of days now with the A6M3 Reisen, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't hop into Zeroes much sooner than I did. It is absolutely astonishing how many Americans will try and BnZ you....then forget the Zoom part and try and turn fight you while you bleed their energy dry and blast a wing off while they flounder along the deck. I remember reading a lot about how Japanese guns were pretty weak, they must have buffed them recently as they don't seem so bad now. Granted they aren't on the same level as 20mm mineshot, but can't have everything I guess.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Slot 1: 2.0 / Slot 2: 1.3 / Slot 3-4: 1.0 reserves

After 1.43 that's a more effective than ever recipe at ensuring an AB Reserve maps. The poo poo you get to face in biplanes is insane.

Then you get uptiered once in a while and put where you should be: The poo poo you get to face at 2.0 2.3 when you're not clubbing biplanes is equally insane.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I liked the Tiger while I played it, granted its a big shitbox, but its a big shitbox with an amazing gun strapped on top. I hated the panther's gun, you could pen with it alright, but actually killing people took ages. The 88 on the other hand was a 1 shot kill most of the time. Now that I have the King Tiger there's no reason to go back to the Tiger, but I thought it did well at its tier.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Tiger depends entirely on whether you've got your BR average so that you are facing KV-1's and T34-57's, or whether you are facing IS and KV/T34-85's. In the former case you are a god of war, in the latter you are free food.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Slot 1: 2.0 / Slot 2: 1.3 / Slot 3-4: 1.0 reserves

After 1.43 that's a more effective than ever recipe at ensuring an AB Reserve maps. The poo poo you get to face in biplanes is insane.

Then you get uptiered once in a while and put where you should be: The poo poo you get to face at 2.0 2.3 when you're not clubbing biplanes is equally insane.

Provided the BR system is working correctly (:lol:) then you should get the same result with a BR 2/1.7/1.3 lineup.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

BBJoey posted:

Provided the BR system is working correctly (:lol:) then you should get the same result with a BR 2/1.7/1.3 lineup.

With a little work / luck / low level account getting tweaked MM (to be confirmed) you can club reserves with a 2.3 :psyduck:

e: Just did it, Wildcat in Foggy Albion. 2.3 / 1.7 / 1.3 / Reserve
e: BF110 required four hits before getting Reserve map. Never getting a queue-time but did they do this on purpose? I know the 1.3 span for AB but it was never this common

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 15, 2014

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

MrLonghair posted:

With a little work / luck / low level account getting tweaked MM (to be confirmed) you can club reserves with a 2.3 :psyduck:

e: Just did it, Wildcat in Foggy Albion. 2.3 / 1.7 / 1.3 / Reserve
e: BF110 required four hits before getting Reserve map

The difference between 2.3/1.7/1.3 and 2.3/2.0/1.7 in BR calculations is: nothing. That's the point Joey was trying to make.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

The difference between 2.3/1.7/1.3 and 2.3/2.0/1.7 in BR calculations is: nothing. That's the point Joey was trying to make.

You never know with Gaijin. Still, this is something I want to throw them a question about, if it's intended for biplanes to very regularly without MM-tweaking players face BR 2.3 planes. If the 1.3 BR span is something they cannot adjust at the bottom.

BF110 vs Biplanes was a four minute affair of wiping out the enemy team.

e: H6K4 vs Biplanes was good times

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 15, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

jadebullet posted:

So how good is gaijin support? I ask because I just messed up and ordered the mustang pack through their webstore twice and need them to cancel one of the transactions. I contacted the support, but I really hope the are good and aren't going to screw me on this.

Just an update, they got back to me quite quickly and I will receive the refund within 24 hours.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I wasn't too happy that my hook didn't connect with the line on the aircraft carrier, but my teammate was more distraught than I was. I hit the drink and he obviously sees the message I crashed and just says gently caress you in team chat.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
With how carriers can kill you on spawn, do a turn in seconds, and run over your float plane, you can never be sure why Pubbie(crashed).

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh well I crashed because I tried to land the wrong direction :downs:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
It's incredible how one sided it is when you play America

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah..they're really stupid. I find US hard to play in RB without a squad because of how unreliably stupid the team generally is.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Asproigerosis posted:

Oh well I crashed because I tried to land the wrong direction :downs:

It still works the wrong way. It's just easier to do it the right way!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you have elevator problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but OH gently caress FULL FLAPS

http://gfycat.com/WelcomeCloseGallowaycow

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The Tiger depends entirely on whether you've got your BR average so that you are facing KV-1's and T34-57's, or whether you are facing IS and KV/T34-85's. In the former case you are a god of war, in the latter you are free food.

The tiger is one of the few tanks in the game with a well-armored turret. It's also got a limited turret profile. It's one of the only tanks early on that can do crazy hull-down stuff if you know what you're doing. Also, properly angling the armor will give anyone less trouble with D-5Ts.

I can't wait for US tanks. It'll be nice to have some vehicles with actual gun depression.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Playing arcade tanks, get to call in an attacker. Spawn in an IL-2 just outside of enemy spawn on Carpathians - I light some poo poo up with the guns, fling some rockets, and then crash into the ground in front of enemy spawn since I'd already blown my load. Right before I got into the plane I'd called artillery in on enemy spawn, and I guess one of those shells hit me before I'd officially crashed because I got dinged some lions for a teamkill, and the killfeed showed it was me killing myself. Cool feature I guess.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Alchenar posted:

The Tiger 1 can actually own IS-2 tanks on most of the old tank maps because of the high, small turret. You get really close with terrain cover and when their dumb little commander cupola shows over it, shoot it and then the shell will pulp the entire crew.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The most recent/best moment I've had in tanks is realising that in AB 99% of pubbies won't shoot at something that's too far away for the white crosshair to show up (about 1km, depending on your gunner skill maybe?). But your gun still works out to the stated range. And the sights still work perfectly well.

What I'm saying is that if you set yourself up with enough range you can force AB people to effectively fight under RB rules.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Alchenar posted:

The most recent/best moment I've had in tanks is realising that in AB 99% of pubbies won't shoot at something that's too far away for the white crosshair to show up (about 1km, depending on your gunner skill maybe?). But your gun still works out to the stated range. And the sights still work perfectly well.

What I'm saying is that if you set yourself up with enough range you can force AB people to effectively fight under RB rules.

The crosshair is still there, it's just invisible and if you take the time the enemy will light back up again when adjusting for drop - I've taken out quite a few tanks this while they don't understand how to respond in kind. It's more like using AB rules while everyone is convinced they have to use RB rules.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

The other (and more :black109: BY A COUNTRY MILE) way to fly a Jug:

I was right around 900kph in that dive if I recall.

This is still the best war thunder gif

VV

FAUXTON posted:

I died from it, you can see the notification that I crashed, but I don't care.

That's part of why it's the best gif.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is still the best war thunder gif

I died from it, you can see the notification that I crashed, but I don't care.

• Locked thread