Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

So I went to a boxing gym for the first time yesterday to work with a trainer. I had gotten changed and wrapped my hands when this random dude comes up to me and says: "I hit a dude so hard that he farted. Hit 'em with a right hand and he just farted." Then he walked away.

boxing

This is a secret handshake for boxers. The correct response is "I like farts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You can also blow out an enormous fart in response.

It tells other boxers you're "in".

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
:c00lbutt:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

You can also blow out an enormous fart in response.

It tells other boxers you're "in".

I'd rather rip out an sneaky one so the rancid smell asserts my dominance

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

It's better when you're grappling. Pull guard, rip out a stinker, reap the rewards. I once farted on a dude's neck whilst triangling him, good times.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
http://youtu.be/W3XIP1kA7Ls

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The deadliest move in all of jiushitsu.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My 10 year old son has been in jujitsu for four or five months now and is doing pretty well. He got his rear end beat twice in his first tournament, but it was against two guys who were older, bigger, and who had been doing jujitsu for more than a year (He got put in the 10-12 bracket because bis birthday was literally the day before the tournament!). He managed to get both their backs first, but he didn't know what to do with it and eventually he got beat. We were really proud, even though it left a sour taste in his mouth.

I am thinking about joining the program with him to bring his morale back up and because I think it would be good for me. The problem is that I am fat, out of shape, and asthmatic. Should I try getting into shape a bit before I join so I can attempt to keep up, or should I just jump right in and spend a few months looking like a fool?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

The Dregs posted:

My 10 year old son has been in jujitsu for four or five months now and is doing pretty well. He got his rear end beat twice in his first tournament, but it was against two guys who were older, bigger, and who had been doing jujitsu for more than a year (He got put in the 10-12 bracket because bis birthday was literally the day before the tournament!). He managed to get both their backs first, but he didn't know what to do with it and eventually he got beat. We were really proud, even though it left a sour taste in his mouth.

I am thinking about joining the program with him to bring his morale back up and because I think it would be good for me. The problem is that I am fat, out of shape, and asthmatic. Should I try getting into shape a bit before I join so I can attempt to keep up, or should I just jump right in and spend a few months looking like a fool?

Do MA poo poo to get fit enough to do MA poo poo.

ANd then do cardio and weights on the side anyway.*

*I'm a cheap scrub and only do body weights.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Dregs posted:

It's a question everyone has been asked over and over, and the answer's always the same - take the chance and just start training. You are going to look like a fool initially anyway (and no-one will care), so just go for it. Lots of people say to me "I'll get fit then I'll start training"; gently caress that, you'll get fit as you do it. When I started I was fat and out of shape too, and now I am neither of those things and I have accidentally found a hobby I love.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

Just go, you'll work yourself into shape. Unless you're so bad you ride a rascal and wash yourself with a stick you'll be able to give it a go.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Thoguh posted:

Just go, you'll work yourself into shape. Unless you're so bad you ride a rascal and wash yourself with a stick you'll be able to give it a go.

Thanks. I just read the answer to my question in the op. Should have checked there first. Sorry.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jiu jitsu is like "fat dude wants to do martial arts" sanctuary. While not ideal and no one likes rolling with the 300 lb dude it still works fine and is great for fitness etc

Not like some fat dude flailing around in TKD in karate

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Christoff posted:

Jiu jitsu is like "fat dude wants to do martial arts" sanctuary.

Truth.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Just moved to saskatoon from Australia. Any one know any good places to grapple? Maybe do some kickboxing classes at the same place too?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Dregs posted:

Thanks. I just read the answer to my question in the op. Should have checked there first. Sorry.

BJJ is one of those arts where no matter how long you've been training you're going to get humbled by someone and everyone remembers their days trying not to drown as a whitebelt. There's bound to be a shithead or two but 90% of people I've met doing BJJ are nice and welcoming as hell and won't be able to wait to teach you stuff.

It's really friendly to people beginning a MA or trying to lose weight or whatever.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just echoing these opinions, I started BJJ four months ago and yes, everyone has been extremely friendly and welcoming. Very patient too, putting up with my clumsiness. I've been doing weights / gym etc for a long time so I would say I'm in decent shape, but there seems to be a lot of people who turn up who aren't in great shape to begin with. This doesn't seem to be a problem though as they quickly adapt and improve their fitness very quickly. My brother is in the same situation: he doesn't want to start until he gets in better shape. I've been trying to convince him he just needs to go for it but he's difficult to convince.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I started doing karate when I was in pretty good shape, and still felt like a dumbass for a fair while. Learning a whole new set of ways to move your muscles is always going to make you feel weird.

Nierbo posted:

Just moved to saskatoon from Australia. Any one know any good places to grapple? Maybe do some kickboxing classes at the same place too?

Oh, you are in Australia now? You must know Pete then. He lives down the road.

(Australia is a pretty big place duder, maybe try narrowing down your range to a city)

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

ICHIBAHN posted:

Just echoing these opinions, I started BJJ four months ago and yes, everyone has been extremely friendly and welcoming. Very patient too, putting up with my clumsiness. I've been doing weights / gym etc for a long time so I would say I'm in decent shape, but there seems to be a lot of people who turn up who aren't in great shape to begin with. This doesn't seem to be a problem though as they quickly adapt and improve their fitness very quickly. My brother is in the same situation: he doesn't want to start until he gets in better shape. I've been trying to convince him he just needs to go for it but he's difficult to convince.

Man I both love and hate reading these post's, It make's me sad that I don't have a local place to train BJJ the one gym that teaches it is legit as far as talent goes but it's full of rear end in a top hat's (many of whom I see at my job which owuld just make things awkward).
Ioccasionally get to some out of town places but it's literally weeks/month's at a time.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

I started doing karate when I was in pretty good shape, and still felt like a dumbass for a fair while. Learning a whole new set of ways to move your muscles is always going to make you feel weird.

Oh, you are in Australia now? You must know Pete then. He lives down the road.

(Australia is a pretty big place duder, maybe try narrowing down your range to a city)

No, he's an Australian guy asking about Saskatoon in Canada.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Like......saskatoon?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Apologies, I misread the post.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaz2k21 posted:

Man I both love and hate reading these post's, It make's me sad that I don't have a local place to train BJJ the one gym that teaches it is legit as far as talent goes but it's full of rear end in a top hat's (many of whom I see at my job which owuld just make things awkward).
Ioccasionally get to some out of town places but it's literally weeks/month's at a time.

That's a pity man. I hate even missing a few sessions nowadays. Would despise not being able to train regularly, even after only 4 months.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Found a place, but the BJJ instructor is a blue belt. Is that normal?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

I couldn't imagine, all the BJJ places I looked at the instructor was at least a brown belt.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KildarX posted:

I couldn't imagine, all the BJJ places I looked at the instructor was at least a brown belt.

Yeah I thought that would be a good minimum.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Nah, definitely not. From my experience its usually a Black belt (sometimes a Brown) running things, with assistant coaches that are at least Purple.

If the blue belt is good and you're new you could probably still pick some stuff up but still that sounds like a last resort.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A lot of university clubs are run by blue belts, but in this day and age, a gym should not be.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ok, gotcha.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I just watched some "Aikido" tournament videos on youtube :sissies:. I now understand why everyone thinks it's bullshit. If what I saw there was my only experience with Aikido I would never step foot in a class.

Please don't think this is what Aikido really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbatbtaR3xA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No akido skirts, didn't click

(I did and lol)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

n3rdal3rt posted:

So I just watched some "Aikido" tournament videos on youtube :sissies:. I now understand why everyone thinks it's bullshit. If what I saw there was my only experience with Aikido I would never step foot in a class.

Please don't think this is what Aikido really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbatbtaR3xA

Aikido tournaments aren't why people think aikido is bullshit, though.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
We like to give them a hard time but you have to admit the Aikido mount escape is basically the greatest thing ever, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIjGStyeMDg&t=78s

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ikantski posted:

We like to give them a hard time but you have to admit the Aikido mount escape is basically the greatest thing ever, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIjGStyeMDg&t=78s

I absolutely love the warm-up section of that video.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Keg posted:

Aikido tournaments aren't why people think aikido is bullshit, though.

I'm sure this is not going to come out right but here goes.

I'm assuming you're referring to the lack of sparring as why everyone thinks it's bullshit.
I would say that what was in the video is what happens when sparring is not used in training. So what we saw there is the reason everyone thinks its bullshit. It was still not what Aikido should be.
I'm encouraged to incorporate my Aikido in my Jujitsu and my sword work and while not everything translates over it does help. I've successfully used concepts and takedowns from Aikido when sparring in Jujitsu. The body movements from Aikido help me with sword work tremendously.
Just like any MA it's a difference in quality of instruction and properly applying the concepts. There is something to be learned from all styles and no one style has the answer for every situation (well expect for one style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CGMWlXosp4&t=19s).

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Isn't Aikido pretty decent for what it supposedly is like relaxing and moving around and using your boxy in a safe way, probably in some park or something? Like, that's some really good stuff for the elderly or people partial to yoga and poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So tai chi

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I win all the balance games in my boxing club because of my aikido. Also once when I was out trail running, I tripped on a root and did the most perfect forward roll. Those are my aikido stories.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Are they affiliated with a black belt who comes around every once in a while, or is it just a blue belt doing their own thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
He didn't mention. His fb message said: "I have a blue belt under Jeff Wiley who is a second dan black belt in bjj"

• Locked thread