Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

Yeah, nobody likes those, that poo poo is retarded. I really hope that literally every review panning the online 'features' teaches Ubisoft a lesson about the whole thing.

But I dunno, I liked collecting cockades (got 100 and stopped, for the color scheme) because like I said, parkouring around is one of the reasons I even play these games.

edit: also, just because they're there, doesn't mean you have to get them all. Just get the ones you feel like getting? It's not like most of them even do anything. Do the shields even do anything?

Shields unlock some mid level gear.

Shields in the rift unlock some higher level gear and Altairs outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ayn rand hand job posted:

and Altairs outfit.

I thought that was the companion app.

edit: oh, it still is, just I guess the companion app unlocks things for you to collect or something?

gently caress that. All of that.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 14, 2014

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lollerich posted:

Nope, the dude's Mohawk name who voiced Connor is Bulaagawish, Connor's name is Ratonhnhaké:ton

I don't know about the other native American actors/characters, but Noah Watts is Crow, not Mohawk, so they wouldn't use his tribe name anyway.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Lollerich posted:

Nope, the dude's Mohawk name who voiced Connor is Bulaagawish, Connor's name is Ratonhnhaké:ton

That's a Crow name, the actor isn't Mohawk.

What he's saying is that Connor's English name is trademarked but not his native name, since that would be uncool. And that all the Mohawk actors use their Mohawk names ingame. But that only applies to the Mohawk actors and hence not Connor's VA.

EDIT: Can someone approve my club membership application (Bonds0097)?

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 15, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually surprised they went through the effort. Most other people probably would have just said gently caress it, call the main character Flying Eagle and honestly I wouldn't see too many people getting mad since Mohawk naming conventions isn't exactly mainstream. Plus all the animus database things about the native tribes were interesting to me at least, though I'm probably in the minority there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

Reinstalled Windows a few days ago and forgot to unlink and move AC:U before doing so, I'll fix that tonight and get you and whoever else applied tomorrow-ish. Though I believe there are only 4 slots left.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Amazon has Unity for $30 today. I didn't really pay any attention to the game before or after it came out, is it worth getting at that price?

Orv
May 4, 2011

losonti tokash posted:

Amazon has Unity for $30 today. I didn't really pay any attention to the game before or after it came out, is it worth getting at that price?

No.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

losonti tokash posted:

Yes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

losonti tokash posted:

Actually it's about ethics in games journalism.

Orv
May 4, 2011

No. As a game it's an okay AC game, somewhere around Rev quality. As a piece of software it's not worth any money of any kind, and unless you know for sure you can run it without a hitch (that $30 says you can't) you shouldn't buy it.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Orv posted:

No. As a game it's an okay AC game, somewhere around Rev quality. As a piece of software it's not worth any money of any kind, and unless you know for sure you can run it without a hitch (that $30 says you can't) you shouldn't buy it.

Unless the Xbox version is busted all to poo poo, I'm fairly certain I can run it. What does the $30 say about anything?

Orv
May 4, 2011

losonti tokash posted:

Unless the Xbox version is busted all to poo poo, I'm fairly certain I can run it. What does the $30 say about anything?

The console versions are both complete crapshoots as well. The $30 says you can't run it, it's a turn of phrase.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

AC games are so poorly optimized that if I hundred-percented Black Flag on Medium/High at an embarrassing average of like 28 fps Unity would be unplayable by my exceedingly low standards on Low, right? I'm 99.9% sure of this but it can't hurt to get a "that is insanely correct" from people with experience with the PC version.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

AC games are so poorly optimized that if I hundred-percented Black Flag on Medium/High at an embarrassing average of like 28 fps Unity would be unplayable by my exceedingly low standards on Low, right? I'm 99.9% sure of this but it can't hurt to get a "that is insanely correct" from people with experience with the PC version.

What are your specs?

But likely no, no you couldn't.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

losonti tokash posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on this! I had just bought it from them for $40 on Saturday since that seemed like a good price at the time. Fortunately since it hasn't even delivered yet I just got customer service to refund me the difference.

(I also had some leftover Amazon gift credit so the whole thing barely cost me $10 now)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

macnbc posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on this! I had just bought it from them for $40 on Saturday since that seemed like a good price at the time. Fortunately since it hasn't even delivered yet I just got customer service to refund me the difference.

(I also had some leftover Amazon gift credit so the whole thing barely cost me $10 now)

or you could just cancel it and not buy it at all, which is the best choice

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Actually it's a really good game and you should play it. If you have a GTX 970.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The AC games are pretty CPU heavy I think because even with a 970, loving Black Flag still isn't silky smooth 60 fps. Got a funny feeling Unity just flat out wouldn't run until I get a new motherboard and processor.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I'm getting stable 40+ fps with the new AMD drivers (R9 280x) and have not encountered any weird bugs. I'm quite happy with the game, there's lots to do and I don't have a weird compulsion to 100% games so it doesn't put pressure on me.

I'm playing with a totally stripped down HUD (no minimap even) and I find that quite enjoyable.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yeah Unity is just fine, :goonsay: or no. It's not the best game ever but I don't think it's worthy of all the negative press / attention it's gotten.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's gotten the negative attention mostly due to technical problems which are still very much a thing as even some of the in-game systems don't work. It was so bad that Ubisoft had to give away free games so that people didn't feel ripped off, I mean come on.

'It works on my system so it's fine :downs:' *clicks on Ubisoft support subforum threads with thousands upon thousands of complaints*

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Orv posted:

The console versions are both complete crapshoots as well. The $30 says you can't run it, it's a turn of phrase.

How are the console versions crapshoots? You put the disc in and play the game.

Is your turn of phrase you betting $30 that I can't run it on a console?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

That's a Crow name, the actor isn't Mohawk.

What he's saying is that Connor's English name is trademarked but not his native name, since that would be uncool. And that all the Mohawk actors use their Mohawk names ingame. But that only applies to the Mohawk actors and hence not Connor's VA.

Connor's Mohawk name is the name of the son of Thomas Deer, the Mohawk consultant who worked with Ubisoft.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unity is absolutely not fine. People were not dangling in the wings, eager to attack poor innocent AC:U for flaws it didn't have. It was (and still is) a seriously flawed game that is not worth anywhere near full price.

When a company is giving away full-priced new games in apology for how bad their game was, that isn't a sign of an unfairly attacked game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

People were not dangling in the wings, eager to attack poor innocent AC:U for flaws it didn't have.

Sure they were.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sure they were.

Yes, you're right. All that terrible framerates and nonfunctioning features and hilariously glitches were a wide conspiracy to make people not like Assassin's Creed. That is 100% a plausible thing. Ubisoft putting out a 12 noon review embargo and admitting openly their game was flawed was them attempt to, I don't know, fight fire with fire?

The fact that people who complained about AC:U in this thread have said more positive things about AC:R is just because of a deep innate hatred for the French.

Like, yeah, sorry if I'm sounding pretty sarcastic there but it takes a frankly ridiculous amount of denial to claim that AC:U was not (and doesn't remain) a fairly flawed product.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 15, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has anyone done the whole "play it in French with English subtitles" thing for Unity? If so, how'd it work out?

I'm thinking of playing it like that after it gets here, because the whole faux British accents thing really grates on me in all the gameplay videos I've seen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, you're right. All that terrible framerates and nonfunctioning features and hilariously glitches were a wide conspiracy to make people not like Assassin's Creed. That is 100% a plausible thing. Ubisoft putting out a 12 noon review embargo and admitting openly their game was flawed was them attempt to, I don't know, fight fire with fire?

The fact that people who complained about AC:U in this thread have said more positive things about AC:R is just because of a deep innate hatred for the French.

Like, yeah, sorry if I'm sounding pretty sarcastic there but it takes a frankly ridiculous amount of denial to claim that AC:U was not (and doesn't remain) a fairly flawed product.

And how hard it is to model women assassins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macnbc posted:

So has anyone done the whole "play it in French with English subtitles" thing for Unity? If so, how'd it work out?

I'm thinking of playing it like that after it gets here, because the whole faux British accents thing really grates on me in all the gameplay videos I've seen.

It isn't really worth it. The French acting is pretty lovely. You might not notice it if you're just kind of glazing over the words but it's pretty low-effort.

And how hard it is to model women assassins.

To give them the benefit of the doubt that was just an insanely stupid PR statement and if the rest of the game had been good would have been a bad joke instead of more icing on the cake.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They're not mutually exclusive, genius.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They're not mutually exclusive, genius.

That's a pretty convenient argument then. "People would have hated AC:U no matter what, it just happens that it also was a lovely product!"

As I said, that also doesn't explain the more positive reception to AC:R.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

ImpAtom posted:

Unity is absolutely not fine. People were not dangling in the wings, eager to attack poor innocent AC:U for flaws it didn't have. It was (and still is) a seriously flawed game that is not worth anywhere near full price.

When a company is giving away full-priced new games in apology for how bad their game was, that isn't a sign of an unfairly attacked game.

I don't really care about other peoples' experiences with it. My experience with the game was that it has been virtually bug free since the second patch and, after a bit of tweaking, running at a decent frame rate, so I'm judging it purely in terms of its gameplay, which I enjoy a lot more than previous AC games.

The only things that haven't worked are the initiates and nomad stuff but that's no big deal. If you can't unlock one weapon there are always several others with identical stats.

Getting 100% in AC games has always been exclusively for insane people. AC1 even trolled you if you were obsessive enough to collect all the little flags. There's enough variety to mess about and have fun without turning it into a chore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's a pretty convenient argument then. "People would have hated AC:U no matter what, it just happens that it also was a lovely product!"

And an easily observable one. Just check posts from the weeks leading up to it.

It's always the same. Even before the good ones. Even back when they hadn't made a bad one yet.

quote:

As I said, that also doesn't explain the more positive reception to AC:R.

Sure it does. That falls under the "gently caress all that Assassination poo poo but the pirating is fun" banner like Black Flag.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
ACU was a broken piece of poo poo, no one is arguing that, and it certainly needed a lot more development time. By now, though, with the 1.3 patch and the new AMD drivers, my game is perfectly functional, co-op and all. The patch coming later today should hopefully fix the rest.

The game is and always has been very good, just bogged down with technical and performance issues that to be fair they've been fixing at a pretty good rate. Imagine if EA had released this game, would have been something more like 'lol we have your money now gently caress off'.

And also I honestly think a lot of the problem is people trying to run the game on loving toasters and then complaining when it doesn't work all that well :downs:

Aphrodite posted:

And an easily observable one. Just check posts from the weeks leading up to it.

It's always the same. Even before the good ones. Even back when they hadn't made a bad one yet.

Reminds me of the Zelda cycle. Whatever the current one is is universally panned for being the biggest poo poo ever but then when the next one comes out, suddenly that game is fantastic. I remember a lot of hate for Black Flag, but now apparently it's golden. Once Victory comes out, people will whine about how much better Unity was because they won't remember the rocky release by then. Videogames!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I'm not trying to justify the game's many technical flaws at launch or smugly stating that I have no problems. What I'm saying is that the battery of patches and improved drivers have made the game run quite smoothly now and that I think the game itself is fun, past technical issues aside. I didn't buy the game at launch or I imagine I'd be pretty soured on it as well. I bought it about a week ago and it was running probably at sub-20 fps a lot of the time, which is pretty poo poo but with the new AMD drivers that has gone up to steady 40+ and my hope is that Patch 4 (launching today) will improve that even further.

To be honest, I think the game itself is great. The graphics are incredible, the animations are awesome, there is tons and tons of poo poo to do. A lot of the side missions are cool (I like the murder mysteries a lot), the customization is neat and the addition of co-op is pretty sweet, though I really want to start running some of those missions with non-pubs. I personally like the game more than AC4, simply because while I appreciated how well-done the naval stuff was, it's not a theme I'm a huge fan of.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 15, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Rogue didn't even really get a positive reaction. it was pretty much expected to be Black Flag 2.0, and it didn't really fail or exceed that.

It wasn't the flaming pile of poo poo that Unity was on launch, but that's a pretty drat low bar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

I don't really care about other peoples' experiences with it. My experience with the game was that it has been virtually bug free since the second patch and, after a bit of tweaking, running at a decent frame rate, so I'm judging it purely in terms of its gameplay, which I enjoy a lot more than previous AC games..

"I don't care about other peoples experiences" when discussing a game even the developer admits is broken is pretty silly.

Aphrodite posted:

It's always the same. Even before the good ones. Even back when they hadn't made a bad one yet

People are negative about literally every game on the internet until it proves itself different. Acting like it is people wanting to hate a game and not just the internet being the internet is silly.

You're pretty obviously baiting for an Assassin's Creed 1 comment with the second part of this, but even the developers admitted AC1 was a pretty flawed experience.

Aphrodite posted:

Sure it does. That falls under the "gently caress all that Assassination poo poo but the pirating is fun" banner like Black Flag.

If there is this giant angry backlash against Assassining like you claim but people like the piracy, you're either suggesting a bizarre pirate conspiracy or that the assassin parts are not being handled well.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rogue didn't even really get a positive reaction. it was pretty much expected to be Black Flag 2.0, and it didn't really fail or exceed that.

It wasn't the flaming pile of poo poo that Unity was on launch, but that's a pretty drat low bar.

I never heard pre-release expectations for it to be Black Flag 2.0. I only heard that post-release. Everything I heard pre-release was "Well, it's the also-ran title for last-gen consoles only and Ubisoft isn't marketing it at all. What does THAT say?"

In that vein, it greatly exceeded expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually I'm suggesting that goons have terrible opinions and you should not listen to any of us.

I'm not talking about some wider reaction because I would rather die than read Neogaf, I was talking about the reaction right here.

• Locked thread