Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
You can hear Liam Neeson cashing that check. Can't blame him with the script he was given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Play FO3 until the bad design starts to overshadow your enjoyment of the urban post-apoc setting, then take a quick breather and switch to NV.

The one thing Fallout 3 really did right was the setting, and even then didn't do a whole lot with it, admittedly, but I liked that it felt like an actual nuclear wasteland. The characters and setpieces and writing in NV are way better, but it's set in a dull-rear end loving desert that barely feels like the post-apocalypse. For the most part it could just as easily be a third world country populated by impoverished nomads (and the occasional robot and mutant).

Yeah that's something I really liked about fallout 3, it feels a lot more desolate and lonely than new vegas, new vegas is more like quirky adventures in the saturday morning apocalypse, fallout 3 is a lot more along the lines of poo poo being hosed up.

I don't think I ever figured out all of the DC ruins, it felt so much bigger than anything in new vegas.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If you're black your Liam Neeson is black

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
TIL that's Liam Neeson.

No wonder he's so loving wooden.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

univbee posted:

Monster Hunter 4U is getting a western release soon :unsmigghh:

I am so pumped for MH4U. I'm going to charge sword so many monsters with my awesome transforming anime sword+shield.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
fallout3 and new vegas are pretty damned similar, just different settings and new vegas has a few extra mechanics. why do people hate 3 so much? i really love it as a game.

i would have thought being able to skip bits by exploring was a good thing as it shows you are not bound to some linear path.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Play FO3 until the bad design starts to overshadow your enjoyment of the urban post-apoc setting, then take a quick breather and switch to NV.

The one thing Fallout 3 really did right was the setting, and even then didn't do a whole lot with it, admittedly, but I liked that it felt like an actual nuclear wasteland. The characters and setpieces and writing in NV are way better, but it's set in a dull-rear end loving desert that barely feels like the post-apocalypse. For the most part it could just as easily be a third world country populated by impoverished nomads (and the occasional robot and mutant).

Neither of them adequately replicate the setting of the original games IMO. 3 does indeed feel like a nuclear bomb went off in it but other than that it felt gray and boring as poo poo. New Vegas was more interesting but didn't really feel post-apocalyptic. The originals were both more connected to the modern world, like how the cities mapped onto real world cities in California or the BoS were the former Army Rangers, and it had people reverting to tribal societies and like shamanism and poo poo. The Bethesda games were basically just people in a fictional gray/brown world with worn out 50s popular science guns

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
New Vegas is better written in every way from characters to plot to setting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

fallout3 and new vegas are pretty damned similar, just different settings and new vegas has a few extra mechanics. why do people hate 3 so much? i really love it as a game.

i would have thought being able to skip bits by exploring was a good thing as it shows you are not bound to some linear path.
As someone who thinks 3 is a good game, I'd be lying if I said the writing wasn't rear end. New Vegas has much better writing, missions, and choices. The only thing I think 3 has over New Vegas is atmosphere.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mymla posted:

New Vegas is better written in every way from characters to plot to setting.

Than 3, or the originals?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that's something I really liked about fallout 3, it feels a lot more desolate and lonely than new vegas, new vegas is more like quirky adventures in the saturday morning apocalypse, fallout 3 is a lot more along the lines of poo poo being hosed up.

I don't think I ever figured out all of the DC ruins, it felt so much bigger than anything in new vegas.

yep, 3 is an actual wasteland with all sorts of hosed stuff, really cool places to explore and find, just a more interesting world in general without going over the top with everything. new vegas is Wacky Desert Hijinks Also I Guess Some Bombs Fell Ages Ago But Who Cares.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played New Vegas for like 10 hours, got bored to death of the endless brown/tan color palette + bad graphics + bugged out everything, and gave up on it. What people see in that game or the Fallout series as a whole is one big mystery.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like to explore so I liked 3 more than new vegas.

3 has some weird stories just from areas you would wander into. The best ones are the ones you some what made your self.

Like there is a house where two skeletons are asleep and presumably died in the blast.

There was also a teddy bear factory where someone else had been there and tried to make the stuffed animals gently caress each other.

They put a lot of effort into that which people I guess wanted a more linear game and so liked new vegas.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
3 had un-climbable rubble piles and the complete inability to go from point A to point B on the map. New Vegas had a giant robot, a funny helperbot, and a better overall story.

Then again, it also transformed the enclave from techno-librarians into religious zealot supremacists and requires you to exterminate them for the quest ending I felt was the best path.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bethesda Games are games that people sink 100 hours into and then complain that it sucked because by hour 101 the game had become broken and unfun and didn't hold their interest anymore.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Bhodi posted:

3 had un-climbable rubble piles and the complete inability to go from point A to point B on the map. New Vegas had a giant robot, a funny helperbot, and a better overall story.

Then again, it also transformed the enclave from techno-librarians into religious zealot supremacists and requires you to exterminate them for the quest ending I felt was the best path.

How did you get the two games confused.

New Vegas had literal walls of rock that channeled you in directions or a giant river. Go look for a height map, you can see the story line path because there are giant unclimable messes between them. It legit had invisible walls in the middle of the map.

3 was almost a field in comparison.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

How did you get the two games confused.

New Vegas had literal walls of rock that channeled you in directions or a giant river. Go look for a height map, you can see the story line path because there are giant unclimable messes between them.

3 was almost a field in comparison.

yeah one thing people complained about in the 3 when it originally came out was it was, other than the city, just one huge open wasteland. to say you couldn't go a-b on it is a bit weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
3 was a big field with ruins in the corner and a bunch of landmarks randomly scattered across the rest of the map with no rhyme or reason. That made it good for "point in random direction and go" exploring, but it was lousy at making a believable world.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
3 and new vegas clump into one inseparable mess in my brains recollection whenever i try to think about them. kinda enjoyed them both, nv had cooler dlc like the pitt but all in all theres very little to distinquish them

its kinda good that they haven't annualized releases of fallout, they skipped like two years now, right?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Fallout 3 was released October 2008, New Vegas was released October 2010.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

its kinda good that they haven't annualized releases of fallout, they skipped like two years now, right?
Making really big open-world RPGs takes a long time, even if it's built off the top of the last one and uses most of its assets. The Fallout 3 team did Skyrim, and they're probably doing Fallout 4.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Kins posted:

Making really big open-world RPGs takes a long time, even if it's built off the top of the last one and uses most of its assets.

Ubisoft would tell you otherwise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Ubisoft would tell you otherwise.
Ubisoft has like 9200 staff at it's disposal. Bethesda as a whole numbers around 1000 at the most generous guess.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Kins posted:

Making really big open-world RPGs takes a long time, even if it's built off the top of the last one and uses most of its assets. The Fallout 3 team did Skyrim, and they're probably doing Fallout 4.

like i said its a good thing, the last thing i want is them to release a new fallout every year and end up with ubisoft's bland nonsense in their games. yes, they're probably working on it, and its a good thing they took two years so far. as far as i'm concerned they should consider taking two more and just really giving the game some charm because skyrim was pretty lacklust in my opinion.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's so weird how I feel that 3 had worse channeling than new vegas, and most think the opposite. Maybe it's because I live in the DC area and the inability to walk from one metro station to another really frustrated me because my destination was literally on the other side and I just wanted to walk overland without going through half-a-dozen monster-infested metro stations to get there.

Whereas new vegas definitely had the annoying fence around vegas and some canyons but I didn't feel deliberately hampered, mostly because I was guided along the "recommended" path via storylines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bhodi posted:

It's so weird how I feel that 3 had worse channeling than new vegas, and most think the opposite. Maybe it's because I live in the DC area and the inability to walk from one metro station to another really frustrated me because my destination was literally on the other side and I just wanted to walk overland without going through half-a-dozen monster-infested metro stations to get there.

Whereas new vegas definitely had the annoying fence around vegas and some canyons but I didn't feel deliberately hampered, mostly because I was guided along the "recommended" path via storylines.

The DC ruins are definitely a labyrinth and getting from point A to B is hellishly complicated, but I kinda liked that, it made the whole DC area hostile in ways other than just monster difficulty, because it took a long time to get through, made the place feel really big and gave you a good feeling of burrowing your way through tunnels in a completely wrecked city. I wish other bBethesda games had that kind of exploration feeling to them. The whole area feels like one gigantic dungeon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i finished 3 and never got past halfway in new vegas so 3 is clearly the better game. HOWEVER i also bought the dlc for both and never played either so the dlc must be horrible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta is the greatest DLC ever made for a video game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Alain Post posted:

Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta is the greatest DLC ever made for a video game.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

icantfindaname posted:

Neither of them adequately replicate the setting of the original games IMO. 3 does indeed feel like a nuclear bomb went off in it but other than that it felt gray and boring as poo poo. New Vegas was more interesting but didn't really feel post-apocalyptic. The originals were both more connected to the modern world, like how the cities mapped onto real world cities in California or the BoS were the former Army Rangers, and it had people reverting to tribal societies and like shamanism and poo poo. The Bethesda games were basically just people in a fictional gray/brown world with worn out 50s popular science guns

I was raised in Vegas and New Vegas actually does a really good job of mapping onto the real world. The distances are obviously pretty condensed but all of the towns and landmarks are where they should be in relation to each other, and I even learned about a few places in the region that I wasn't aware of before and could find them in real life just based on playing the game.

I've never been to DC so I have no idea how 3 compares, but 1 and 2 just kind of throw their locations over the top of former California cities. I don't think that's really more connected to the modern world at all.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I played Advanced Warfare during the free weekend and surprisingly I had a lot of fun. And I didn't suck at it too. I'm considering either picking it or Inquisition up when the paycheck gets here..

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its pretty good, the campaign is passable as cod campaigns go

the multiplayer is pretty fun though and it supports splitscreen online which is a plus

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and its not hot trash like ghosts was. if you enjoy cod style multiplayer AW is worth having

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone here bought Dead State? I know it's buggy as hell (but then again so was Wasteland 2), but I like the concept (survival management) and limited horror setting (ie only zombies and people). I couldn't find a thread for it anywhere here.

I mean it's only $30 so it's not like a huge investment.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Like there is a house where two skeletons are asleep and presumably died in the blast.

drat. War is hell.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
War never changes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Has anyone here bought Dead State? I know it's buggy as hell (but then again so was Wasteland 2), but I like the concept (survival management) and limited horror setting (ie only zombies and people). I couldn't find a thread for it anywhere here.

I mean it's only $30 so it's not like a huge investment.

theres a bunch of negative impressions in the kickstarter thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

net cafe scandal posted:

drat. War is hell.

There's a freaking skeleton surrounded by needles. This is the greatest storytelling in the history of all gaming. Holy crap, the feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davincie posted:

theres a bunch of negative impressions in the kickstarter thread

Drat. Why can cool concepts never turn to even be functional. Time to search out the thread maybes it's on its way to mediocre and playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Kins posted:

Ubisoft has like 9200 staff at it's disposal. Bethesda as a whole numbers around 1000 at the most generous guess.

I didn't mean that as an endorsement. I think the latest Assassin's Creed and Far Cry installments are a far bigger indictment of Ubisoft's "strategy" of "poo poo out open world games as fast as possible, quality be damned" than anything I could type.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread