Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bown posted:

I want to know what BJ Novak's possible answer could have been for what a personalised soft drink is that begins with "it's a millennial-" before Leona cuts him off.

"It's a millennial thing. They all want their own personalized existence that is only about them. Like facebook, twitter, it's all about their ideas, and applauding them for those ideas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Was this the finale? If so it was weak, but I thought the season as a whole gained enough strength to almost justify one more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finale was weak, but gently caress it. I kinda liked this show a lot. It had ups, it had downs...but it had snark. And I love snark. I would like this show to be remade, but more realistic. Or a documentary. I love the idea to pieces, and it would be better with no story. Just real life people dealing with real issues in a newsroom.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
A great show and I'm sad to see it gone.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I don't get this mentality. It was a character saying that, not Aaron Sorkin. And on top of that, when Will says it, we're all supposed to understand that he's wrong and appreciate how far he's come since Mac and Neal and the rest showed him the light.

Everything anyone says but especially the lead male writer on (show name here) is what Aaron Sorkin says.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Didn't he usually wear a bow tie? Either way, I figured there was going to be some special story flashback reveal about its significance (beyond just his tie...) like other things in the episode. They made it seem to have more weight than just "his tie." I figured I was forgetting something.

It was a bow tie. They look pretty much the same as ties except the ends are different.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I like how they made the cleaning lady look like an idiot or an immigrant with a limited understanding of english -.-

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I will not miss this show. I didnt hate it but i won't miss it

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't get this mentality. It was a character saying that, not Aaron Sorkin. And on top of that, when Will says it, we're all supposed to understand that he's wrong and appreciate how far he's come since Mac and Neal and the rest showed him the light.

With other show runners and creators, you might be right. In the case of Aaron Sorkin, anything being said by the main cast is something that he believes. He essentially creates propaganda for his own beliefs with every show he does.

I agree with you that I thought "what the gently caress" when Will said that in the flashback, but I would make many bets on the fact that Aaron Sorkin really thinks that's the case now and that the audience would believe, but that there are ways we can make the internet better. Probably with some sort of Neal person.

Also Jim is still a piece of poo poo.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

because goons

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But how can he believe it when he only had a fictional character say it? I mean that motherfucker isn't even real so explain THAT to me

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Here's a pretty balanced overall review that largely sums up my feelings about the show:

quote:

It was pretentious, it was patronizing. It was elitist and smug. And it was fun to watch. Some critics accuse Sorkin of those things, as if it’s not a self-aware decision to write characters that way, or make those statements. They say the show is those things as if they are insults. But watch The Newsroom through a lens where it is expected to be pretentious and patronizing, and knows that it is, and it not just fulfills its mission, it’s highly entertaining.

"A bit much” will probably be a major part of the legacy of The Newsroom. And there is no doubt, too, that its legacy will be marred by the controversy it stirred, both on and off screen.

Critics will continue to deride the irresponsible way, according to them, that Sorkin writes women, especially after the many, many issues so many had with the arguments laid out in that campus rape episode. The hullaballoo over the female writer who came forward saying that her objections to the episode were ignored will be remembered. The trade-rag fodder over Sorkin’s hiring-and-firing practices in the writer’s room will be remembered. Sorkin’s own, publicly admitted difficulties writing the Newsroom scripts, fatigue with the series, and mea culpa that it wasn’t his best work will, too, most certainly be remembered.

But hopefully the greatness of the series will be memorialized, too. Just as he did when he pulled the curtain back to the high-minded, high-stakes machinations of the Oval Office, Sorkin found a way to make one of the important political and cultural processes of today—how the news is made—accessible and entertaining. And, in doing so, he raised very important questions about what has gone wrong with the priorities of those who make the news, even if his answers on how to fix those priorities weren’t always practical.

Full: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/14/the-newsroom-ended-as-it-began-noble-controversial-and-weird.html

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Ha ha ha, this piece of poo poo is going in the bin with Studio 60, only to be remembered when someone asks "Why the gently caress do they keep letting Aaron Sorkin write tv shows?". It will never, ever, ever be remembered as great on any level.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Ha ha ha, this piece of poo poo is going in the bin with Studio 60, only to be remembered when someone asks "Why the gently caress do they keep letting Aaron Sorkin write tv shows?". It will never, ever, ever be remembered as great on any level.

Hmm. We disagree. About Studio 60 and this. Both were great shows.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GutBomb posted:

Hmm. We disagree. About Studio 60 and this. Both were great shows.

Aaron Sorkin does best when he is making work that deals with abstract or large issues, and how they should be addressed. Some of the best of West Wing has characters dealing with larger political issues that he doesn't have a particular chip on his shoulder about.

The problem with this show (and Studio 60) is that Sorkin has a huge chip on his shoulder about the news and the internet, and he wants you to know about it. That fat nerd making a list about the top 9 overrated films? He's pretty much the same personification of the internet that the Trek Nerd was on West Wing. Both get lectured at by one of the other characters.

I try to like his work, because when Sorkin works (and isn't spouting really terrible things about women) he makes good TV. I wonder what this show would have been if he had just gone full throttle towards the Newsroom universe reporting on made up stories, instead of trying to use real life examples of how the news should be operating. It probably would have been better, who knows.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You're missing the point. "The 9 Most Overrated Films of All Time" is clickbait trash and something a news organization shouldn't do.

The fact that the list only goes back to 1999 is the poo poo sandwich on top.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, making a list of the 9 most overrated films on a news website that only goes back to 1999 and call the list "of all time" is objectively trash.

Oh yeah, he is right to be mad about it because it's trash. But his presentation is just . . . so obnoxious. Like, of course he wrote a character to be everything he hates about the internet just so he can have his hero character come back at the right moment to lecture him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Was this the finale? If so it was weak, but I thought the season as a whole gained enough strength to almost justify one more.

I think the season made it pretty difficult to create any sort of big walk-off moment. It thought it was a nice finale that was handled well, though. This was almost Newsroom: The Movie, in the way that HBO make Hello Ladies: The Movie to wrap up all of the threads that the tv show didn't have time to tie off and give you some deeper dives into characters in ways that they couldn't get to. I think it was a good choice to focus a lot of the episode on how the characters got here and that a lot of their connections go back to before they all got together. There weren't any horrible moments like with the rape discussion scene in the previous week. It gave us a pretty clear picture that they are going to going back to focusing on the mission Charlie was on when he re-arranged the news cast in the first place.

Now that I've calmed down after last week's episode, I think I'm with you that I would watch another season. Probably because I'm a gullible idiot.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
My favorite part was when Neal came riding in and shames his co workers for talking about movies and crap on the website and then they were all youre right we should write an article about how bigfoot is real.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Max posted:

Oh yeah, he is right to be mad about it because it's trash. But his presentation is just . . . so obnoxious. Like, of course he wrote a character to be everything he hates about the internet just so he can have his hero character come back at the right moment to lecture him.

Didn't M Night Shyamalan do this in one of his movies? I swear I remember hearing something about a movie critic's doppelganger getting either killed in the movie or proven wrong by M Night's own self-insert character.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

DJExile posted:

Didn't M Night Shyamalan do this in one of his movies? I swear I remember hearing something about a movie critic's doppelganger getting either killed in the movie or proven wrong by M Night's own self-insert character.

The famous example I know of was a Siskel and Ebert stand in in the first American version of Godzilla. Ebert said it was a failure of an insert because why put them in if they aren't going to be stomped on by Godzilla?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Lemon-Lyman episode from the West Wing is because Television Without Pity made fun of Sorkin on a forum, from memory.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Newsroom is the best show I haven't watched.

I'm already familiar with how terrible Sorkin can be, since I've seen most of Studio 60. So seeing him channel his meltdowns through his show; people calling him out on it; but then dudebros go "But he has a point!" has been a reliable source of entertainment since this show popped up on TV in the first place.

Please continue writing TV shows, Aaron. How about one about a fictional fake news satirist that's totally not Jon Stewart or Colbert or Oliver? Don't discourage yourself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Was Sorkin trying to predict that the Newsroom would be "underrated" or something with this last Neil rant? Nobody reading those "top 10 of "whatever is brain dead enough to thing it is actual unquestionable fact, and most of them don't even do "of all time" because its easier to just do "modern remake/of the decade/films with X actor/fire based sfx etc"

This show will be forever known as just another barely decent HBO show people watched because the good shows weren't currently airing. Jeff Daniel's emmy win will be the sole high point of this entire mess, and the next closest "high" point is probably Olivia Munn's acting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Jeff Daniel's Emmy win will probably be brought up in a "Man, Jon Hamm got hosed there" sense alone.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I saw a review that said this season in particular seemed so focused on the internet because Sorkin felt it was this generations fault for the show not doing as well as he thinks it should have. That is totally unsubstantiated but I do believe he would make a whole season essentially say "Well, I guess you all hate me."

Boogaleeboo posted:

Jeff Daniel's Emmy win will probably be brought up in a "Man, Jon Hamm got hosed there" sense alone.

I feel for Jon Hamm. He came up around the same time as Cranston, so he got locked out of the win for most of that time (even though Jeff Daniel's win interrupted that win streak.) Now he has to contend with Spacey and others for the same category for all the work he's done on Mad Men.

Max fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 15, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqqel8-Beog

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Old man yells at cloud: The Show

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gently caress that movie had a good score.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If Thomas Sadoski gets more TV and film work, this all will have been worth it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Everything was a freaking ham fished monologue but it was a pretty good show overall.

But man jim is a piece of crap who is touted as a hero. That's just sad.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So can we get a Don & Sloan spinoff now which Sorkin has nothing to do with?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Did they ever explain why Sloan wasn't fired? I know there was some magical nonsense where Charlie was the only one who could fire people, but after he died why wouldn't the new boss follow through and can her? Also, why are we supposed to believe that Neil would be welcomed back if the new boss really likes the new web site and apps?

The musical number felt like peek Sorkin; a musical reference that only 'cultured' people will appreciate, a teenager speaking in a way that no teenager does, everyone comes together to support and cheer on the Great Man. It would have been too much if Will was able to set his ego aside and let the kid take the lead. Nope, the older generation has to hang on and preach to the end. Oh well, I will probably watch the next Sorkin show as I have seen all the rest for better or worse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Acinonyx posted:

Did they ever explain why Sloan wasn't fired? I know there was some magical nonsense where Charlie was the only one who could fire people, but after he died why wouldn't the new boss follow through and can her? Also, why are we supposed to believe that Neil would be welcomed back if the new boss really likes the new web site and apps?

Did you actually watch the last episode at all?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I had no idea Sorkin was responsible for the screenplay of The Social Network. :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I had no idea Sorkin was responsible for the screenplay of The Social Network. :stare:
He won an Oscar for it. It was the biggest award the movie won.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
What I dont get about the mission that everyone at ACN is on, is why do they think caring about ratings is the worst thing EVER. Shouldn't you try to find a way to produce news in a way that it conforms with your moral standards while at the same time reaching as many people as possible? The show treats it almost as an badge of honor if the ratings are low, because that means you are on the right path.

And whats up with the resolution of the "I'm going to fire everyone" plot. BJ Novak's character was so badly written, he looked like a little boy who needed to be tought a lesson by Jane Fonda how to deal with a "scandal" and I dont get why promoting a woman suddenly solves all his problems especially as noone cares about the executives of a cable news network.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Xoidanor posted:

He wasn't, really; fincher heavily rewrote it and removed a whole bunch of elements of the film

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I'll just leave this here as a perfect follow up to The Newsroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Toxxupation posted:

He wasn't, really; fincher heavily rewrote it and removed a whole bunch of elements of the film

That would explain why it feels more, let's say, sparse than typical Sorkin fare. Where can I read more about this?

• Locked thread