Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am one of the 10 people who bought a Wii U partially because of Platinum's games going there. It helps that Nintendo actually released games this year also

Oh no don't get me wrong, I am one of those people too, but a lot of them just don't appeal to people, especially with no marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh no don't get me wrong, I am one of those people too, but a lot of them just don't appeal to people, especially with no marketing.

Yeah, even when they weren't Platinum :( A lot of the staff was ex-Clover which is similarly doomed to make amazing, amazing games nobody buys

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I think I'm actually catching up before the holidays. I just finished DKC: Tropical Freeze with 100%. Those last three levels, 7-1 to 7-3, were actually probably my favorite in the whole game. Also, the only thing you get for 100% is hard mode? I'm done with the game at this point. Also, the last guy wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fremry posted:

I think I'm actually catching up before the holidays. I just finished DKC: Tropical Freeze with 100%. Those last three levels, 7-1 to 7-3, were actually probably my favorite in the whole game. Also, the only thing you get for 100% is hard mode? I'm done with the game at this point. Also, the last guy wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.

I like hard mode in TF a lot, you can play as any kong and there are no checkpoints. It was kinda neat playing the whole game as Dixie.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo is actually planning on selling Wii U Gamecube adapters again, right? This isn't like with Amiibos where some are a one-time thing; Nintendo actually plans on putting out the adapters again at some point, correct? I can't find any solid proof, and people as of today are still paying $100 for it on eBay so I don't know what to think.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I like hard mode in TF a lot, you can play as any kong and there are no checkpoints. It was kinda neat playing the whole game as Dixie.

Oh, I missed that part of it. Sounds a little better now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nintendo is actually planning on selling Wii U Gamecube adapters again, right? This isn't like with Amiibos where some are a one-time thing; Nintendo actually plans on putting out the adapters again at some point, correct? I can't find any solid proof, and people as of today are still paying $100 for it on eBay so I don't know what to think.

Of course. They'll probably go on sale again right before Christmas.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I put in a preorder for a new batch from Gamestop a few weeks ago, so I assume they're making more. I'd link it, but they sold out in like 2 hours.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I will never 100% Tropical Freeze, if that means collecting all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. I feel like I never want to play most of the non-platforming levels again, let alone multiple times to hunt down collectibles.

According to GameFAQs, I need to collect all KONG letters in any given island/world to unlock the K level, and then beat all of the K levels to unlock the 7th world? Nope gently caress it.

Alright, maybe I can handle the letters, but gently caress the puzzle pieces. The K level in the first world was satisfying, but a real pain in the rear end. I can only assume they get worse from there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You can safely ignore puzzle pieces if all you want to do is open up more levels.

On the other hand though, unlike the KONG letters, you can die and the puzzle piece will still be collected. They don't reset like the KONG letters do

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, even when they weren't Platinum :( A lot of the staff was ex-Clover which is similarly doomed to make amazing, amazing games nobody buys

That's what they get for not making a sequel to God Hand :colbert:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

raditts posted:

That's what they get for not making a sequel to God Hand :colbert:

They didn't ever get a chance, God Hand was the last game they made!!

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I am one of the 10 people who bought a Wii U partially because of Platinum's games going there. It helps that Nintendo actually released games this year also

I actually got convinced to buy a Wii U when they showcased W101 on E3 in 2013. Waited until last month though because the console didn't really have games for a long time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Totalizator posted:

I actually got convinced to buy a Wii U when they showcased W101 on E3 in 2013. Waited until last month though because the console didn't really have games for a long time.

I want to prove you wrong so bad, but it's early and I have a meeting in 15 minutes.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

noirstronaut posted:

I want to prove you wrong so bad, but it's early and I have a meeting in 15 minutes.

Well, there were other factors (Xbone flop, PS4 not having any really good exclusives on it for what looks like another six months at minimum, Nintendo strong showing in 2014 E3, Bayonetta 2 getting rave reviews at launch) but it was W101 that made me go from "why would I buy a Wii U" to "drat, this game looks fun as hell, I'd better buy the console at some point or I'll be missing out". Turns out I was right.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

enojy posted:

I will never 100% Tropical Freeze, if that means collecting all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. I feel like I never want to play most of the non-platforming levels again, let alone multiple times to hunt down collectibles.

According to GameFAQs, I need to collect all KONG letters in any given island/world to unlock the K level, and then beat all of the K levels to unlock the 7th world? Nope gently caress it.

Alright, maybe I can handle the letters, but gently caress the puzzle pieces. The K level in the first world was satisfying, but a real pain in the rear end. I can only assume they get worse from there.

When I said 100%, I just mean the 100% on your save file. You only need to do the Kong letters, the K levels and world 7 to get 100%. You don't have to collect a single puzzle piece to get 100%.

The K levels can be very frustrating, so if you were frustrated with the regular levels as is, enough to not want to play them again, I'm going to say you'll break your controller trying to do the 6 K levels. Every time I finished a K level and went back to regular levels, it was like a walk in the park.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
eShop updates for most of November and December have been pretty crappy. You would think that leading up to the holiday season, they would have had their best stuff to release.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

I put in a preorder for a new batch from Gamestop a few weeks ago, so I assume they're making more. I'd link it, but they sold out in like 2 hours.

Thank you. I was worried it was another "Gamecube component cable" situation where they make it once and that's it because they think it's a niche product or something. I didn't know if Nintendo officially said they were going to release it again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The GameCube controller adapter actually is a niche product though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

The GameCube controller adapter actually is a niche product though.

I know, that's why I was worried they weren't going to produce any or much more of them and I'd have to resort to triple-digit eBay prices.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I read on their actual site that you get more actually. Bayo 1 "counts" as a $30 purchase with a discount applied. Maybe it works differently in practice who knows.

You only get credit for what you actually spend, so 499 points for Bayo 2 and 99 points for Bayo 1 (or whatever it is if you buy them in the other order). Similarly, if you buy an NES title that you had on the Wii, you only get 10 points since you only spent $1, rather than 49 points off the full $4.99 price tag.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

something happened to me on my way into work today. I kind of blacked out when I was driving past the gamestop in town and then the next thing I knew I was at work looking at this???

does anyone know what happened here? :confused:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

something happened to me on my way into work today. I kind of blacked out when I was driving past the gamestop in town and then the next thing I knew I was at work looking at this???

You're dead. You'll discover it in the last five minutes of the film.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Awesome! posted:

I love the lighting. It says to me that you woke up in a dark room and the only thing in the light was Captain Toad, with his little headlamp, Ready For Adventure.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
So I see a bunch of really swell games up in the OP. Anyone have any recommendations for Co-Op games that are fun for both someone who isn't terrible at games and also for a counter-part who might as well be wearing mittens and a helmet with chin-strap when it comes to gaming?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Hyrule Warriors is a great game for a co-op partner to just mash a button and make awesome stuff happen. You have to be into those kind of musou brawler games though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

karn1635 posted:

So I see a bunch of really swell games up in the OP. Anyone have any recommendations for Co-Op games that are fun for both someone who isn't terrible at games and also for a counter-part who might as well be wearing mittens and a helmet with chin-strap when it comes to gaming?
I've been playing Captain Toad with my girlfriend, and we work through the puzzles together and have a good time. We also play Mario 3D World and if you really feel the need, you can just do the infinite lives exploit and you're good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

karn1635 posted:

3d world is great for this if the other person has a chance of learning/improving instead of getting frustrated and quitting, otherwise you'll probably only make it through the first few worlds. Also play with them, don't rush ahead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Totalizator posted:

Well, there were other factors (Xbone flop, PS4 not having any really good exclusives on it for what looks like another six months at minimum, Nintendo strong showing in 2014 E3, Bayonetta 2 getting rave reviews at launch) but it was W101 that made me go from "why would I buy a Wii U" to "drat, this game looks fun as hell, I'd better buy the console at some point or I'll be missing out". Turns out I was right.

Yeah bayo 2 actually being good is what sealed the deal for me.

However the Wii had "violent game where crazy poo poo happens" in mad world and no more heroes early on. The GameCube was the first to get resident evil 4. As with all nintendo consoles I'm sure it'll turn into Nintendo Games Only soon enough.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

karn1635 posted:

Stealth Inc. 2 is a bit of a tough game, but the co-op mode has Player 2 holding the Gamepad and basically helping Player 1. It seems engaging without being too difficult, though I haven't had a chance to try it out. Art of Balance is a puzzle game, but its versus and co-op modes are 100% accessible to anybody, as long as they can stand to aim with a Wii remote. Art of Balance is also obscenely gorgeous and extremely fun, and the only reason it's not on the recommended list is because it's basically just a way prettier, multiplayer version of the 3DS game.

However the Wii had "violent game where crazy poo poo happens" in mad world and no more heroes early on. The GameCube was the first to get resident evil 4. As with all nintendo consoles I'm sure it'll turn into Nintendo Games Only soon enough.
That's true, but Nintendo was the one who published Bayonetta 2 (and is also publishing Devil's Third) - they're still taking a do-it-themselves approach, but this time, the approach actually involves some amount of third party support.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 15, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Imagine if third-party publishers were worried about Sony or Microsoft first-party games eating into their sales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Imagine if third-party publishers were worried about Sony or Microsoft first-party games eating into their sales.

It's less that they're worried about Nintendo games eating into their sales and more that there is a trend for a lot of Nintendo buyers to only buy Nintendo games and Nintendo isn't very good about promoting third-party games the way Sony and Microsoft are. (Though they've been improving!)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rayman Legends is a great co-op game.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

New Super Mario Bros. could be a good choice, you could give them the pad while you do the platforming.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's only on the Wii Shop Channel through the Wii Mode on your console but World of Goo is a joy of a puzzler to play and has very easy to learn mechanics and co-op.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ImpAtom posted:

It's less that they're worried about Nintendo games eating into their sales and more that there is a trend for a lot of Nintendo buyers to only buy Nintendo games and Nintendo isn't very good about promoting third-party games the way Sony and Microsoft are. (Though they've been improving!)

Between my WiiU and 3DS, the only third party game I've bought was Shovel Knight, which Nintendo pushed the hell out of and is as close to an old Nintendo game as you're gonna get.

I'm part of the problem aren't I :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you have a 3ds and dont own a single atlus game?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Yeah bayo 2 actually being good is what sealed the deal for me.

Was No More Heroes 2 any good? I got about halfway through the first one in two different playthroughs and quit.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Spacebump posted:

Was No More Heroes 2 any good? I got about halfway through the first one in two different playthroughs and quit.

I think it's better. They took out the "traveling" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spacebump posted:

The writing isn't as good but the gameplay is much improved

• Locked thread