Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't mean to attack you personally, but using crushed glass is loving stupid. That poo poo shouldn't even be on sale as a hobby product.

SRM posted:

I've seen the end results and it can look really nice, but that is some poo poo I would not want to gently caress with. I wouldn't use it on anything unless it was a display piece model to only ever be seen in a display case.

Oh I understand the risk and I'm definitely not using this stuff lightly. I'm taking every precaution I can with it from the proper protection , and I also use it right next to my window with an extractor fan running to pick up any stray dust as well as sprinkling this stuff gingerly to any minimize dust. Something to note is when you mix with the sceneic water stuff it clumps and becomes very paste like. But yeah I am not loving around with this stuff.

New Page edit:

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

With so many alternatives that look just as good, why, just why?

What alternatives exist that give the same look as crushed glass without the lung-destroying danger?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
A guy at our club in the third ed years had an army based with loving chlorine. He also stunk real bad.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Big Willy Style posted:

A guy at our club in the third ed years had an army based with loving chlorine. He also stunk real bad.

What the poo poo!? What benefit would that even have!?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It looked like snow?

This was before a lot of scale modeling stuff became common place in 40k. Stactic grass was fancy back then .

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Just saw your WB Contepmptor Dreadnought on Facebook . I'm might just give in and buy the drat thing now.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Big Willy Style posted:

It looked like snow?

This was before a lot of scale modeling stuff became common place in 40k. Stactic grass was fancy back then .

Oh it's like the chlorine powder or whatnot? What an odd choice. For some reason, in my head when I read "based" I thought base coated.... I need to learn to read.

The Sisko posted:

Just saw your WB Contepmptor Dreadnought on Facebook . I'm might just give in and buy the drat thing now.

I do like it a lot, but if I am being honest - the Sons of Horus ones (that I am using for my Black Legion contemptors) are just way more brutal looking.

I think I am going to add some chains, skulls, (im)purity seals to the WB one... I do like the pose I put him in, though it doesn't look particularly great from the angle I shot it at. Eventually he will be stepping on a dead Ultramarine (the helmet is just there for example purposes).

Either way you can't go wrong with Contemptor Dreadnoughts (unless you order Chinese forgeries - ba dum bum!) as they are one of the most amazing models that Forge World has produced. The sheer amount of flexibility in poses with the models makes them a joy to work with. And they are easy to assemble.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 15, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

Oh it's like the chlorine powder or whatnot? What an odd choice. For some reason, in my head when I read "based" I thought base coated.... I need to learn to read.

I do like it a lot, but if I am being honest - the Sons of Horus ones (that I am using for my Black Legion contemptors) are just way more brutal looking.

I think I am going to add some chains, skulls, (im)purity seals to the WB one... I do like the pose I put him in, though it doesn't look particularly great from the angle I shot it at. Eventually he will be stepping on a dead Ultramarine (the helmet is just there for example purposes).

Actually I was wondering if you ever followed up on the chains because IIRC you mentioned using some on your Rhinos a few episodes (I think you said they were ship modeling or something). Also I saw on your forum someone was using mini scale wax candles on their contemptor for that occult vibe the WB's have going on, might be worth checking out and something I'm stealing for my WB's.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually like that the direction GW is going is 2 books then a parallel campaign for those two armies. That's pretty sweet. Now if we could only get a honest to god Make your Campaign book that would be fantastic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Pretty much all of the Forgeworld campaign books have campaign systems.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sisko posted:

Actually I was wondering if you ever followed up on the chains because IIRC you mentioned using some on your Rhinos a few episodes (I think you said they were ship modeling or something). Also I saw on your forum someone was using mini scale wax candles on their contemptor for that occult vibe the WB's have going on, might be worth checking out and something I'm stealing for my WB's.

I havent had a chance to talk to Justin from Secret Weapon Miniatures yet - he was the one I saw do it for the first time and it looked awesome. But I want to make sure the chains stay ON the thing once I use them! (and it has to be playable). So I need to talk to him for advice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Other than Lost and the Damned IA 13 I don't really own any Forgeworld stuff.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Other than Lost and the Damned IA 13 I don't really own any Forgeworld stuff.

IA12 has a phenomenal campaign system.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Still really want to get the second Vraks book at some point so I have a complete collection of those.
I just need to get a steady income so I can spend money on FW without feeling bad.
Best bet is almost to just wait for when they clear the stocks of old copies of Vraks vol 2 since it's not like I'll use those for gaming anyway. v:v:v

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

It's per shot. If all two-three of your groups Barrage shots miss, you place a d3 spore mines in the blast area for each. You resolve spawning mines as you resolve each blast template. Spore Mines can specifically assault the turn they are created.

Wrong? If a unit of 3 biovores miss you only place D3 mines. Plus they are barrage, so you don't resolve each shot separately.

VVV Yes, the internet is a bastion of rational discourse.

EDIT: "It's not stealing, the hobby is expensive, and I wouldn't have bought it anyways at normal price" vs "It's illegal, it drives up prices that get passed to the consumer, and you are ultimately supporting the company you are trying to demonize".

LordAba fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 15, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can we get a mod to weigh in on the recast chat?

I'd like to have a discussion about it; is it ok to talk about the topic if we continue avoiding linking to or promoting any offenders. It's a significant thing that is having a real affect on our hobby and I think there's merit in having a discussion about people's attitudes to it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

Can we get a mod to weigh in on the recast chat?

I'd like to have a discussion about it; is it ok to talk about the topic if we continue avoiding linking to or promoting any offenders. It's a significant thing that is having a real affect on our hobby and I think there's merit in having a discussion about people's attitudes to it.

Any time anyone mentions recasting there's a multipage discussion about it already

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LordAba posted:

Wrong? If a unit of 3 biovores miss you only place D3 mines. Plus they are barrage, so you don't resolve each shot separately.

Yeah you're correct. I brain darted on the wording. It's "the first blast marker" not all markers. They can assault though.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Well that's stupid. Three biovores potentially making GBS threads out a single mine when they'll always hit three times otherwise is garbage, as is the inverse.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

Any time anyone mentions recasting there's a multipage discussion about it already

Sure but that discussion is very cloak and dagger, finger pointy and half of the posts are "shhh". I'd actually like to have an engaging discussion about the topic, people's attitudes and how it affects the hobby.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sisko, you have giant balls to work with crushed glass. Please post pictures when you are done!

Ghost Hand posted:

The SOH contemptors are really some of the best put out by FW. They are so unique and brutal looking. Really amazing models.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

Sure but that discussion is very cloak and dagger, finger pointy and half of the posts are "shhh". I'd actually like to have an engaging discussion about the topic, people's attitudes and how it affects the hobby.

Make a thread about it then

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Cataphract posted:

Can we make a thread about it, wear cloaks with hoods and call it the warrior lodge? Please?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah you're correct. I brain darted on the wording. It's "the first blast marker" not all markers. They can assault though.

To be fair I just learned that you can put the mines anywhere under the marker and not under the middle. Those couple of inches will help!

The last game I played featured a sporocycst against necrons. It felt like a video game just sending waves of spore mines against Armor 4 warriors! It was really fun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If it makes y'all feel better I've spent hundreds on legit Forgeworld models.

But between their sky high prices and awful casting quality I can't justify dropping ~$200 on a single model. That's more than I should say about it so I'll stop there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
One time I bought a bunch of Crimson Fists shoulder pads on eBay. After I clicked buy it now, I saw they were coming from China. I got them and used them anyway.

There. That's my recast story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SRM posted:

One time I bought a bunch of Crimson Fists shoulder pads on eBay. After I clicked buy it now, I saw they were coming from China. I got them and used them anyway.

There. That's my recast story.

You are a monster.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cataphract posted:

It's been discussed to death multiple times and that was the basis of the first ban on talking about it. Mostly because you have posts like this

ghetto wormhole posted:

If it makes y'all feel better I've spent hundreds on legit Forgeworld models.

But between their sky high prices and awful casting quality I can't justify dropping ~$200 on a single model. That's more than I should say about it so I'll stop there.

And that divides people very strongly. 'I cant justify spending money on something I really really want but don't actually need for 'nebulous reasons' so I'll buy it from recasters.'

Some people are okay with it, some people arent.

I personally think its theft, and since this is a thread where we talk about 40k and the majority of people in here really like Forgeworld stuff, actively doing things that could prevent Forgeworld making cool stuff is a bit retarded.

But you'll never get people to agree, hence why it gets banned. If you really want, start a thread, but don't expect it to be of any use.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I'd like to talk about how to tell if the thing your bidding on on EBAY is a recast. Cause pretty sure I just may have bought a 150 dollars worth of Necrons that may be recasts.

The plastic or what have you has weird looking streaks in it. Like almost patterned. I can't tell though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 16, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

Well I'd like to talk about how to tell if the thing your bidding on on EBAY is a recast. Cause pretty sure I just may have bought a 150 dollars worth of Necrons that may be recasts.

You won't know until you get them. If they're off sprue, they're more than likely recasts. GW have used 2 colours of plastic over the years, and most recasters don't mix the same and as such it will never be quite 'right' when you look at it.

Thats if they're plastic at all, you could be getting a bunch of resin Warriors.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The plastic or what have you has weird looking streaks in it. Like almost patterned. I can't tell though.

If it's Forgeworld and you're getting more than one model for $150, it's a recast.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

serious gaylord posted:

GW have used 2 colours of plastic over the years, and most recasters don't mix the same and as such it will never be quite 'right' when you look at it.

That's interesting. Do you know if that is an artifact of their particular plastic process or something they're doing just to make it harder?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

orphean posted:

That's interesting. Do you know if that is an artifact of their particular plastic process or something they're doing just to make it harder?

Its just simply how they make their plastic. Their first years were a light grey in colour, then in the mid 2000's they went to a much darker, and a touch harder version. I'm old enough to have kits still in boxes from the first batch and theres a definite improvement in the 2nd style.

I would say most recasters dont try and emulate their colour as its probably cheaper for them to just pump it out however it is. It all looks the same when painted after all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No this is like super light gray, but it has that colour you get when you like bend a sprue , like kind of whiteish colour. Streaked through.

It's a bunch of warriors and 2 scythes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

No this is like super light gray, but it has that colour you get when you like bend a sprue , like kind of whiteish colour. Streaked through.

It's a bunch of warriors and 2 scythes.

Scythes have never been the light grey colour. Fake.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Hollismason posted:

What does stripping plastic do to the colour? Might have had a swim in simple green or brake fluid and the streaks are what is left of the primer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's really weird looking, it's light gray to darkish but there are these streaks and splots of whitish colour in them.

It doesn't really matter to me that much , I'm priming them anyway but kind of feel like well i bought these expecting the actual product and getting a great deal on it. So that kind of agravates me.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cataphract posted:

If you want someone to be blunt about this, here goes.

I spent about £200 on recasts in the first few months of this year. Most of the models I bought were just to try out the Rising Leviathan formations (such as getting 3 more Lictors to field the Deathleaper one), and most I haven't even bothered to paint yet.
Aside the obvious, my main motivation was the rather half-assed Tyranid release in January. We got a codex that failed to fix most of the interesting units with lovely rules, new kits for existing units I mostly already owned, and a bunch of extra rules in DLC that cost as much as the codex itself and could have easily been printed with it. I decided not to give GW any more of my cash until they started making products with less of a "gently caress-you" vibe to them.

Thankfully, that has now happened. The recent releases have been a total 180 from January; a decent supplement, several new kits (including one new unit that turns the codex on it's head) and more importantly free rules. In the last month I've (legitimately) bought a Toxicrene, 3 Tyrannocytes and a copy of Deathstorm. Rather than play the China card again and save over £100, I'm voting with my wallet the other way because this is exactly the direction I want GW to go in. I'm now happily sitting here converting the Warriors from Deathstorm into 3 Primes, while appreciating how cool brand-new plastic kits are.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 16, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't like recast because I do not agree with the work force and labour policies in China, and have no guarantee that the models were not produced in a work place that practices safe workplace environments and has reasonable wages.

If I could reliably cast poo poo at my house I would 100% do it.

Here have a picture of space skaven

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

The recent releases have been a total 180 from January; a decent supplement, several new kits (including one new unit that turns the codex on it's head) and more importantly free rules. In the last month I've (legitimately) bought a Toxicrene, 3 Tyrannocytes and a copy of Deathstorm. Rather than play the China card again and save over £100, I'm voting with my wallet the other way because this is exactly the direction I want GW to go in. I'm now happily sitting here converting the Warriors from Deathstorm into 3 Primes, while appreciating how cool brand-new plastic kits are.

Look at this good post, right here. This post also reminds me I need to get off my rear end and pick up some Tyrannocytes.

• Locked thread