Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Oh my god are there people who seriously think Stoneforge Mystic is a good idea under any circumstances, how do I get as high as you are right now because daaaaaaaaaaamn.

I like the idea of SFM in Modern because it would promote strategies and decks that use equipment, and those are my favorite types of cards in Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I Love You! posted:

Oh my god are there people who seriously think Stoneforge Mystic is a good idea under any circumstances, how do I get as high as you are right now because daaaaaaaaaaamn.

I've never been to a FNM that would require leaving my filthy basement abode

We just need to unban Stoneforge and Jace but ban Squadron Hawk.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I am thinking of designing a Jeskai Ascendancy Control deck for standard. So goons, is steam augury a good enough card to put into this deck?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Temple of M'Lady

:fedora:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Samael posted:

So I am thinking of designing a Jeskai Ascendancy Control deck for standard. So goons, is steam augury a good enough card to put into this deck?

Just using Jeskai Ascendancy as a means of filtering seems pretty weak since you're essentially only using half of what makes the card powerful, and it won't even do anything unless you dump more mana into it on the next turn to make it loot.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

suicidesteve posted:

We just need to unban Stoneforge and Jace but ban Squadron Hawk.

Has anybody tried jamming squadron hawk into an ascendancy deck for extra cantrip filter? I bet its terrible but maybe it could even work as a lovely wincon if you cant totally combo off

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

No but Jitte and a stoneforge unban would.

E: Hell just a stoneforge unban would do good things

I Love You! posted:

I've never been to a FNM that would require leaving my filthy basement abode

Note: this is the resident "unban everything and print more broken cards to answer previous broken cards" guy.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 16, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really have no idea how the MTGO economy works, how can any of that be? Dark Confidant is <$20 on there?

I get the feeling that Modern Masters not being a print run so limited that most shops drafted it once or twice probably helped.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Seriously, would Deathrite being unbanned help fight against Delve, or is that akin to unbanning Stoneforge in that it's too much?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Stoneforge Mystic is the exactly wrong way to fight Delver because it would simply mean instead of 75% of the format being UR Delver, it would make 75% of the format be Jeskai Stoneblade.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You're not meant to agree with the old woman who swallowed a fly

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 16, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I missed the rise and fall of Deathrite Shaman so I have no real idea what really blew it's power out of the water.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I missed the rise and fall of Deathrite Shaman so I have no real idea what really blew it's power out of the water.

It's not just a power level concern, it's that it incidentally hated all graveyard strategies out of the format. That is, decks would take DRS as a 4-of anyways because it's a mana dork that blocks one-power attackers (like tokens) all day and doubles as a win condition, and totally without meaning to they would also have all of the graveyard answers they'd ever need.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Also fetchlands. It was at the very least a 1/2 bop that could be cast for a swamp. If it stopped there it would still be one of the best first turns in modern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's not just a power level concern, it's that it incidentally hated all graveyard strategies out of the format. That is, decks would take DRS as a 4-of anyways because it's a mana dork that blocks one-power attackers (like tokens) all day and doubles as a win condition, and totally without meaning to they would also have all of the graveyard answers they'd ever need.

Looking at the top 8 results on MTG, you can count the number of graveyard strategies being played right now that have placed in the last 2 months on one hand. Deathrite was a problem because it was a bird playable in 40% of the colours that could swing for 2 and absolutely castrate strategies like burn, not the incidental graveyard hate.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You're still ramping into a lotv while coincidentally nerfing their goyf. I mean hell, even the drain can be relevant.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
unban jace tms

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Cernunnos posted:

Short answer, Fetch Lands + Ravnica Lands leading to ramp + healing the damage you self-inflicted.

Long answer: Deathrite means easy turn 2 lilli so opposing creatures are hosed and gobs of life so burn is awful and over the top damage for no reason whatsoever and weaker gyard strats and and and

Deathrite is one of like 3 creatures in magic history on the power level spectrum of Stoneforge Mystic and even though the mystic takes the cake it's close enough that an unban would be bad news city. Both cards are grossly unfair and unfun whenever they appear. And while Mystic is at least a card that warps decks around it (this isn't a good thing it's just somewhat interesting) Deathrite is just an enormous dick move every single time it hits the board.

What if Snapcaster only cost 1 mana but then could flash a card back in anyone's graveyard once a turn? He turns them into mostly bad spells and lotus petals but he can do it forever and even use the opponent's yard. Sound good?

Oh wait THAT'S THE KIND OF poo poo A PLANESWALKER DOES. It's ok though that seems fun print it as-is.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 16, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

UberJew posted:

Batterskull does extremely good work in U Tron and I like my deck so I'd rather they didn't ban it.

I refuse to use Batterskull in my U Tron deck until I get a GP Butterskills.

It's a principle of mine to use the Least Bad Art version of a card.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Deathrite isn't the answer to Ascendancy you goons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

They're talking about it as an answer to U/R delver, dude

Which it would definitely be

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gyshall posted:

I know that's not a good idea. I was just curious about it 'cause I've only ever seen it in Legacy and even then I've only ever seen it exile lands for mana.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Are people boarding more Rest in Peace in Modern? Seems like it'd be a good answer to Cruise, Fatestitcher, and the Persist dudes in Pod.

Or are there just no good white decks to play it in?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ban Brainstorm Unban Misstep

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Ban Brainstorm Unban Misstep

Yes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I run RIP in the sideboard of my Esper Mill deck, originally it was to fight Goyfs, storm, and milling an Emrakul but it helps against Delve too even if it screws up some of my cards (Visions of Beyond, Surgical Extraction). It always surprises me that RIP is only a dollar, it's splashable and screws with a fair number of decks so well.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 16, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Note: this is the resident "unban everything and print more broken cards to answer previous broken cards" guy.

Angry Grimace posted:

Its only scummy because the other players didn't think of it. Its not cheating and and unlike the awful post complaining about playing loud music outside his hotel, it isn't conventionally illegal either. You can't even term it bad sportsmanship because the consistent theme in these "no its scummy" posts is an inability to define what he is even doing wrong in a way you could actually describe a rule prohibiting it.

Hiding a Hornet Queen under your playmat is cheating. Scouting your opponents is not. Literally all you have to do is bring your cards before you show up or have a third party make the purchase. Its not difficult.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wrong magic thread. How bout those tournaments eh?

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 16, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

You're both terrible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I should try leyline since I dropped visions.

I'm sure this will converge with Mill chat in the Eternal thread soon, but how are you getting enough cards in your yard to make Cruise better than Visions? I think you're crazy unless you're going for exiling your opponent's entire library instead of just binning it.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

qbert posted:

Are people boarding more Rest in Peace in Modern? Seems like it'd be a good answer to Cruise, Fatestitcher, and the Persist dudes in Pod.

Or are there just no good white decks to play it in?

The problem with boarding in RIP in modern is that for everything but the stitcher version of Ascendancy Combo, you're probably making only 4-6 cards dead and wasting a slot on something with no effect on the board. In legacy you have the the helm wincon, enlightened tutor, and it really hurts dredge and reanimator even on T2. Even if they don't want something like the helm combo in Modern, it would be nice to print something like energy field so you could at least hypothetically advance your own board with it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Looking at the top 8 results on MTG, you can count the number of graveyard strategies being played right now that have placed in the last 2 months on one hand. Deathrite was a problem because it was a bird playable in 40% of the colours that could swing for 2 and absolutely castrate strategies like burn, not the incidental graveyard hate.

I think any one aspect of DRS was ok but adding them all together took it over the top. The mana has been so strong for such a long time that giving mono-black a bird isn't really a concern (and black very rarely gets played in top tier modern decks without green), but a bird that actually does stuff in the lategame is a big deal. The graveyard bit is a big deal because Pod, Pyromancer Storm, Gifts, Junk etc. are all decks that suffer from GY hate and having to not dedicate any GY hate at all because you're running four pieces maindeck anyways is pretty warping to the metagame.

DRS is just a miserable card to play against. If they had made it own-graveyard only it would be powerful but ultimately ok, but as it is it's just nuts. It's not Stoneforge-level "answer me within one turn or lose" but it's pretty bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

What does that empty quote have to do with your excellent "unban Stoneforge Mystic" idea? In fact, I'm pretty sure my position on that issue wouldn't make any difference in the game of Magic even for the few pro players it affected.

Yours would ruin an entire format for everyone.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 16, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Don't ban or unban any cards, reprint Hymn to Tourach.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I would love to see a format defined by treasure cruise and hymn to tourach.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TheLawinator posted:

I would love to see a format defined by treasure cruise and hymn to tourach.

"I'll Hymn to Tourach myself to fuel my Treasure Cruise next turn! Whoops, I discarded Treasure Cruise. I don't think I did that right..."

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

qbert posted:

"I'll Hymn to Tourach myself to fuel my Treasure Cruise next turn! Whoops, I discarded Treasure Cruise. I don't think I did that right..."

Eh, sometimes the variance gets you, you just have to make sure you aren't results oriented.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

Eh, sometimes the variance gets you, you just have to make sure you aren't results oriented.

Don't worry, I only build decks to play land, spell, Pact of Negation my own spell, because I'm not a loving grinder tryhard piece of poo poo. Killing yourself is the ultimate casual.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

I refuse to use Batterskull in my U Tron deck until I get a GP Butterskills.

It's a principle of mine to use the Least Bad worst Art version of a card.

Now this post is correct.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Don't ban or unban any cards, reprint Hymn to Tourach.

100% unironically this. Everyone acts like it's so bad right now, but I've still won every game where I opened with double Hymn, and most of the games where I started with even a single copy.

Also reprint Stifle because it's my favorite card after Lili and Hymn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Dread Return needs to make a return in every format.

(Except vintage where it's already great)

• Locked thread