Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
watch putin blame gays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Phlegmish posted:

So if I convert all my € to rubles and put everything in a Russian bank account I will make a decent amount of money come the first of January since Russian interest rates far outweigh inflation at the moment, which is not the case in Europe. However, if the ruble continues to fall relative to the Euro, those gains could be wiped out, and that is what is making people wary of converting back?

Russian inflation is currently about 10%.

A 7% spread for an emerging economy on the brink of a disaster is not that much.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

So if I convert all my € to rubles and put everything in a Russian bank account I will make a decent amount of money come the first of January since Russian interest rates far outweigh inflation at the moment, which is not the case in Europe. However, if the ruble continues to fall relative to the Euro, those gains could be wiped out, and that is what is making people wary of converting back?

On the first-order of impacts, yes. Generally, you're correct. I'd disagree that interest rates outweigh inflation. Think of inflation like this: a flat tax on all capital denominated in that currency.

Sometimes, when you increase taxes without improving the structures through which you spend those taxes, you essentially shovel that increased revenue into the fireplace. With the increase in Russian central bank rates, at the second order of impact, you've increase taxes while decreasing revenue because you've decided to keep throwing your rubles into the fireplace to keep warm over the winter and hold off on throwing your USD into the fireplace.

In this analogy, structural reform is akin to turning down the supply of natural gas to the fire. Yeah, there's less heat and your house will get a bit colder, it beats throwing your money into the loving fire.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Russian inflation is currently about 10%.

A 7% spread for an emerging economy on the brink of a disaster is not that much.

You're off.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/daily-ruble-rate.html

7/29/2014 European terms: 35.5979
12/15/2014 European terms: 58.4783

Ruble depreciation over this period: 60.87%

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

My Imaginary GF posted:

On the first-order of impacts, yes. Generally, you're correct. I'd disagree that interest rates outweigh inflation. Think of inflation like this: a flat tax on all capital denominated in that currency.

Sometimes, when you increase taxes without improving the structures through which you spend those taxes, you essentially shovel that increased revenue into the fireplace. With the increase in Russian central bank rates, at the second order of impact, you've increase taxes while decreasing revenue because you've decided to keep throwing your rubles into the fireplace to keep warm over the winter and hold off on throwing your USD into the fireplace.

In this analogy, structural reform is akin to turning down the supply of natural gas to the fire. Yeah, there's less heat and your house will get a bit colder, it beats throwing your money into the loving fire.

Then there is the risk of actually getting your money back. Putin has on numerous occasions went out and said he would soon criminally punish those (western) speculating interlopers. The Russian's could also easily put capital constraints into place that would prohibit outflows of money from Russia until they see reason otherwise.

So while yes, you can put your capital in Russian markets, there is no guarantee you will get it back. That is another factor on why the Ruble is tanking right now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're drat wrong.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/daily-ruble-rate.html

7/29/2014 European terms: 35.5979
12/15/2014 European terms: 58.4783

Inflation rate: 60.87%
Thats the currency value. Inflation/deflation are the rising/falling of costs within Russia. Currency fluctuations only affect imports and exports, where currency trades need to be made. Russia is a fairly robust economy, so just because they can't import cheaply does not mean their inflation has a linear relationship to their currency volatility.

E: The Ruble also dropped to 65 today, so even that number is off.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 16, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Sueddeutsche from today (16th) has a good article about the humanitarian situation in Donetsk and Lugansk. And the situation is bad in Donetsk and worse in Lugansk. Hunger, desperation, destruction, injustice and violence by the separatists, the bare minimum in humanitarian support by Russia. Only the old, poor and weak are left.

Russia and the separatists have robbed countless people of their home and forced them to flee and all those who don't have the means to leave are suffering horribly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

So if I understand correctly, the Russian central bank is burning through its (ruble) currency reserves in order to pay out these high interest rates, which it needs to help prop up the ruble since they keep people from converting their rubles into dollars and Euros.

However, aren't they also receiving more money in the form of interest on the loans they're giving to private banks? Which makes said private banks less likely to borrow money, which in turn would slow down the economy (which is bad) and decrease inflation (which is good, in this case). Hmm...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Phlegmish posted:

So if I understand correctly, the Russian central bank is burning through its (ruble) currency reserves in order to pay out these high interest rates, which it needs to help prop up the ruble since they keep people from converting their rubles into dollars and Euros.

However, aren't they also receiving more money in the form of interest on the loans they're giving to private banks? Which makes said private banks less likely to borrow money, which in turn would slow down the economy (which is bad) and decrease inflation (which is good, in this case). Hmm...

No, the benchmark interest rate is set by the central bank as a way for private (lol) banks to get short term capital. All banks need to have a certain amount of capital reserves in relation to their liabilities. If you increase this rate, banks must pay more interest to the central bank to meet their capital reserve requirements.

The increased interest expenses by the banks is made up by increasing the interest rate they charge to their loan customer. This reduces growth (less people can borrow), but decreases inflation (less people can buy goods and services).

Banks also raise money on the capital markets in the form of bonds or other fixed income securities. Bonds at higher interest rates are more attractive and can attract investors from abroad. To invest in high yield Russian securities, you need to convert your money to Rubles. This increases demand for the ruble and strengthens its value.

In conclusion: if the central bank interest rates rise, bond yields rise high with it and attract foreign investment. High interest rates also dampen inflation, growth, and investment. This is why you constantly hear about the Federal Reserve raising interest rates in context to the CPI.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 16, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

Well, they're burning through their economy's capacity to absorb an increase in the supply of the ruble. They get to determine how much rubles to pay out, and so far, they haven't decreased their expenses in order to allow the economy to build up capacity to absorb more rubles. All they've done is made the ruble cost less than toilet paper, while also stopping foreign currency inflows.

A slowing economy will increase inflation because the decrease in production will not be met by cheap imports. Its a bad spiral that Russia's in, with the economy slowing because more money is going out than is coming in, which causes more money to go out while decreasing the amount which comes in.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Dumb idiot here:
Is the damage to the ruble permanent? or will it just level out once oil goes up?

Is this caused by the sanctions? oil? something else?

Is this actually the beginning of a Russian economic collapse or just a lovely day at the market?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

sparatuvs posted:

Dumb idiot here:
Is the damage to the ruble permanent? or will it just level out once oil goes up?

Is this actually the beginning of a Russian economic collapse or just a lovely day at the market?

It's on the brink of turning into a collapse but careful monetary/fiscal policy can delay the plunge long enough until oil prices even out. I really hope Russia's corruption will get the best of it and it will go down the shitter once and for all. That's a really bad thing to wish onto Russia's population, but Putin and his cronies deserve all the blowback they can possibly get.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 16, 2014

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, they're burning through their economy's capacity to absorb an increase in the supply of the ruble. They get to determine how much rubles to pay out, and so far, they haven't decreased their expenses in order to allow the economy to build up capacity to absorb more rubles. All they've done is made the ruble cost less than toilet paper, while also stopping foreign currency inflows.

A slowing economy will increase inflation because the decrease in production will not be met by cheap imports. Its a bad spiral that Russia's in, with the economy slowing because more money is going out than is coming in, which causes more money to go out while decreasing the amount which comes in.

Deflation is generally a symptom of low demand or a large, sudden increase in supply (e.g. oil right now). Inflation is a symptom of high demand with low supply, or a sudden decrease in supply (e.g. 2006-2007 in the US with oil). In general, inflation is an indicator of an overheated economy where deflation is an indicator of a receding economy.

In regards to foreign reserves, Russia has a large amount (~$450bn) of dollar and Euro backed securities, most likely in treasuries, etc. They can sell these securities for dollars, and then buy Rubles to take them out of the market. This increases the value of the Ruble. However, this practice is mostly used for pegged currencies where the central bank tries to keep the exchange rate constant. In such a case, you use your reserves to "defend" a peg and hope the other guy (e.g. Soros) has less capital than your foreign reserves. Russia does not peg their currency, so foreign reserves aren't really that important unless they want to intervene on the exchange rate.

sparatuvs posted:

Dumb idiot here:

Do you want to invest money into Russia right now? This is a crisis of confidence in the Russian capital markets. People don't want to put money into Russia because they think they won't get it back or they will suffer unacceptable returns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cheesemaster200 posted:

No, the benchmark interest rate is set by the central bank as a way for private (lol) banks to get short term capital. All banks need to have a certain amount of capital reserves in relation to their liabilities. If you increase this rate, banks must pay more interest to the central bank to meet their capital reserve requirements.

The increased interest expenses by the banks is made up by increasing the interest rate they charge to their loan customer. This reduces growth (less people can borrow), but decreases inflation (less people can buy goods and services).

I always conceived of the relationship between the central bank and private banks (I don't know what the proper term is) as being similar to the one between private banks and individual citizens, similar to what you are saying in the second paragraph.

It's the first paragraph that I'm not quite grasping. How does the hike in interest rates allow private banks to get short-term capital? And if banks are paying higher interest rates, isn't the central bank being partly compensated for its loss in domestic currency reserves?

I'm off to bed now, but I feel like I learned a lot today.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Phlegmish posted:

I always conceived of the relationship between the central bank and private banks (I don't know what the proper term is) as being similar to the one between private banks and individual citizens, similar to what you are saying in the second paragraph.

It's the first paragraph that I'm not quite grasping. How does the hike in interest rates allow private banks to get short-term capital? And if banks are paying higher interest rates, isn't the central bank being partly compensated for its loss in domestic currency reserves?

I'm off to bed now, but I feel like I learned a lot today.

In the United States it is called the Federal funds or inter-bank rate. It is the rate that banks lend to each other via their holdings at the Federal Reserve. As previously stated, banks have a certain capital requirement in relation to their loans. Some of this is kept at the Federal Reserve. At the end of a business day, they need to make sure that the reserve percentage on their balance sheet is met after all their loans/deposits have been counted up. If they are short, they can borrow from another bank with a surplus of funds at the Federal Reserve to compensate. The Federal Reserve sets a target interest rate for this mechanism and then enforces it by buying/selling short term securities. Nobody really wants to go against that, so the FOMC activity in the short end of the yield curve usually isn't major.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 16, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smerdyakov posted:

As precautionary measure we may want to put the thread title at 70. I would think the ruble losing 50% of its value in <6 months is news, even in the US, but I guess not.

It's NY Times website front page worthy at least http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/u...&abt=0002&abg=0

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Regarding the Russian interest hike to 17%, it noted that it was only four days ago that they had a 1.5% hike to the now-previous 10.5% level.

Put into context, the Russian interest rate has nearly doubled in the past week, and the currency is still collapsing. I feel bad for the Russian people, who are going to have to bear this burden until they figure out it isn't the evil Western Pigs that did this to them, but their own leader who has plundered the country to make his close friends billionaires.

Phlegmish posted:

The idea, I believe, is that most private banks don't tend to *actually* have a ton of money readily available to meet their obligations. They're also required by law to keep a certain percentage of their outstanding loan amounts *as* vault/reserve currency.

Simplified:
I'm a bank and I keep $100 in the vault and/or with the federal reserve.
With that vault/reserve amount, I'm allowed to provide on-paper loans to my clients for, let's just say, $200.
If I want to issue any more loans than that, I need more money. Which I don't have.
So I go to the central bank and ask for a loan, which they grant at x%, a rate which I pass down to whomever I'm lending the money to.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To break up bank chat for a moment, 30 Russian fighter jets have been intercepted over the Baltic Sea. Here's a video.

Interestingly, 6 strategic bombers have been intercepted by NATO over Sunday. This comes after some civilian aircraft had to be re-routed to avoid crashing into all those Russian combat aircraft with switched-off transponders close to them.

At this point someone should be asking what all those Russian aircraft are doing all over Europe and why Russia is throwing all that money out of the window? (Because let's face it, sending hundreds of planes around like that costs a lot in maintenance and fuel.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 16, 2014

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Reminder that Putin is a geopolitical genius running rings around the West.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Do you want to invest money into Russia right now? This is a crisis of confidence in the Russian capital markets. People don't want to put money into Russia because they think they won't get it back or they will suffer unacceptable returns.

I'm a dumb idiot too, but I'd answer Yes. I feel that the more headlines scream about the end of (the Russian part of) the world, the more bargains you can find. Buy with drums, sell with trumpets, and all that.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
edit: cleaning up

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 20, 2015

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm a dumb idiot too, but I'd answer Yes. I feel that the more headlines scream about the end of (the Russian part of) the world, the more bargains you can find. Buy with drums, sell with trumpets, and all that.

The only problem I see is being able to buy in at the bottom instead of a still falling market which it seems Russia is still in. They should go above 70 Rubles to a dollar by the end of the month at this rate if not more and investing now is a poor choice.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

The difference between this Russian default and the last one is, everyone in Russia was primed for the last one by the 80s, the fall of the USSR, and the lovely 90s. Now? They still genuinely believe they're exceptional and this isn't their fault.

So, it means that the Russian rich will probably eat themselves, right?

They made bank manipulating their position while they had that centralized control of the economy and the move from that centralized economy to a privatized one, but now, they're so full of themselves that they believe their own hype and continuing to gamble their fortunes away thinking that they'll outlive this correction.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess it's kinda satisfying to watch the Russian economy come crushing down, but sadly the fact remains it will kill a lot of people. :smith: Remember the news of the Moscow hospital system undergoing a reorganization? In the middle of a crisis? What is the chance of a complete failure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
An interesting Russia graphic:

It is of course already outdated.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Doctor Malaver posted:

The problem, of course, is nationalization/bankruptcy/ignoring foreign control. Might just lose it all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nintendo Kid posted:

An interesting Russia graphic:

It is of course already outdated.

So when will Russians begin to change rubles into Bitcoin?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Been busy lately, but it warms my heart to come to this thread and find 65+ posts about the ruble crashing and the silly Russians doubling their interest rates trying to save what money they have left. Keep in mind investors could look at the cheaper currency and take the gamble that they can bail out before they lose their investment.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Libluini posted:

To break up bank chat for a moment, 30 Russian fighter jets have been intercepted over the Baltic Sea. Here's a video.

Interestingly, 6 strategic bombers have been intercepted by NATO over Sunday. This comes after some civilian aircraft had to be re-routed to avoid crashing into all those Russian combat aircraft with switched-off transponders close to them.

At this point someone should be asking what all those Russian aircraft are doing all over Europe and why Russia is throwing all that money out of the money? (Because let's face it, sending hundreds of planes around like that costs a lot in maintenance and fuel.)

For domestic consumption and political points. "We've got the decadent west shaking in its boots with our military power! Look at how we're flying over Sweden and nobody has even shot any of our planes down!"

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://itar-tass.com/en/russia

Don't worry guys, everything is fine!

Reading that website is giving me a headache. We bitch about Fox News and MSNBC being bias, but after reading Russian news outlets over the past month I have to rethink that.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 16, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

When you have a business environment like Ukraine's, its necessary to completely restructure the government in order to finance debt servicing obligations. What this means is eliminating all but high-level, indirect corruption, and plays out by re-writing the civil code from the ground up.

The issue is hard hits to pensions and basic services at the same time which greatly and immediately increases the misery of the population. You can say you are eliminating corruption and fixing the civil code all you want, but as long as people see their lives getting far worse at the same time, there isn't going to be public support for it. Also, screaming "there is no alternative" at them isn't going to work either.

quote:

If you can't afford to pay an official enough to enforce the law without using the law for corrupt practices, you eliminate the law and fire the official. This increases effective tax revenue by eliminating all the middle-men who skim their bit on your take.

It isn't going to help increase revenues enough, Ukraine is reaching the point Greece is where repaying debt is going to be the issue not tax revenue itself. One thing is that tax revenue is going to dive regardless of what happens because consumption is going to decrease and Ukraine gets a large portion of its income from a VAT. If people aren't buying, you can't tax them.

Also it is going to be a real issue if you start clamping down on people working for "black wages" ie salaries off the books, because many of those people are working/middle class.

quote:

The alternative to this? Having a close master in Moscow who wants to get paid now to keep Moscow and St. Petersburg running. Ukranian's governing class realizes that, in such a scenario, they'd be liquidated to shore up Putin's regime. Pretty strong incentive to not revolt against structural reform and deep austerity.

The political class is going one way but the rest of the population may very revolt against both, the center-right government can throw around Putin as much as they want but if they suddenly become the target of anger they aren't going to last very long. It really deepens where the coming anger is channeled and if politicians are continue to shift the anger on Putin.

Btw, Russia and Putin is going to have the exact same issue, he can blame the West as much as he wants but "fiscal consolidation" and currency devaluation is hitting and will continue to hit the economy hard.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 16, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also lol at any posters in this thread who only owns rubles and desire for revenge against the west.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Reading that website is giving me a headache. We bitch about Fox News and MSNBC being bias, but after reading Russian news outlets over the past month I have to rethink that.

In America:
Pro-administration news: "It's the enemy's fault"
Opposition news: "It's the leader's fault"

In Russia:
State news: "There's no fault because there's no problem!"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Baloogan posted:

Also lol at any posters in this thread who only owns rubles and desire for revenge against the west.

Most Russian cities have plenty of currency exchange places, I have a feeling they might be doing a business lately. If I was Russian, I would pay all my expenses in rubles then convert everything I had remaining in dollars then maybe putting them in Raiffeisen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was it even 10 days ago that the Russian state economic agency estimated a 0.8% contraction? Now it could be almost 5%? Add on to that the fact that this situation is destabilizing by the minute, and it's not good for Russia. Unfortunately this won't do much to hurt Putin, I would imagine. When these kinds of things happen people rally around the strong leader who will almost certainly blame 'the West' for their problems.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cuntpunch posted:

In America:
Pro-administration news: "It's the enemy's fault"
Opposition news: "It's the leader's fault"

In Russia:
State news: "There's no fault because there's no problem!"

Holy poo poo, we have pro-administration news in America?!?! :monocle:

In Russia:
Pro-Administration News: "America has pro-administration news. Now watch this sex scene on Big Brother: Moscow while also Property Developers: Irkutsk is playing versus Nightly News: Sexytime Moscow."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Watch Putin start a loving war.

'You can't take away our Mastercard! You'll live to regret this!'

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McDowell posted:

This is eerily similar to how the Soviet Union collapsed.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

McDowell posted:

But...but the new world order dominated by the BRICS! What can they get in Europe or North America that they can't get in Brazil or China?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fojar38 posted:

But...but the new world order dominated by the BRICS! What can they get in Europe or North America that they can't get in Brazil or China?

Democracy with stable transitions of power and lack of urban slums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

This is eerily similar to how the Soviet Union collapsed.

Of course, here in the west we could say it was the ideology of an economic system, now it is just well dutch disease, inequality and sharp cliffs of commodity pricing. There isn't much of an ideological message to take from this.

Putin's Russia is quite capitalist, corrupt and a kletocracy yes but a capitalist economy nevertheless.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread