Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Some very Goonstar rolling this turn. Hopefully the next is better!

Should the Awesome be on 5 heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Assassin may want to make a habit of ending his turns behind height 1 hills.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Here I was hoping that Marauder would Stay still a little longer. We're gonna need range to bring him down The Griffin and the king crab aren't going to help much either.

Grunty, want to level the buildings in 0710 and 0711 so me and Zest can snipe with our range at the the Griffin; see if we can draw him out?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, that was dumb of the Awesome pilot to defect to the Fusileers in the backstory of this mission since I'm assuming their misandrist policies regarding officers are relatively well known. Jag's gonna have a (wrecking) ball of a time taking out the stupid of his former friend, I guess, now that Redjack's rejected his offer due to Arccoa's greed winning out over actually thinking about his situation.

Unlucky with the Blackjack getting Arrow'd due to scatter and taking a head hit, but he should be able to keep going for a good turn more to take out the Awesome if it comes down to it. But since the Centurion seems to be backing off due to heat issues and to wreck the remains of Blind Sal's Quickdraw, so maybe backing off so you don't rob Psion of a bonus objective would be a good idea, in case you roll another TAC with all your critseeking Machine Guns. Then again, it's already down an engine hit, so maybe finishing it off might not be a bad idea

Shame about the rolls for the Centurion's SRM barrage and the Assassin's Small Lasers. The Awesome would've been toast this turn if they'd connected. Oh well.

The Death's Consorts have grouped up and are starting to move in on you guys as a unit. Better keep an eye out and get ready for their arrival, guys.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If I move to a height-1 hill next to the wreckage of Sal can I still wrecking ball it?

e: also everyone noticed the Arrow IV just moved several hexes closer, right?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Think the heat on the Awesome was done without the engine hit. Should slow it down a bit already!

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Voyager I posted:

The Assassin may want to make a habit of ending his turns behind height 1 hills.

This. Jumping (getting that +4 move mod) to 0916 or similar would be a great move.

As an aside, directly behind the Awesome is fairly safe this turn. The Crab would have to use almost all of his weapons blowing the buildings down and no one else has LOS.

Kial fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 15, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
PTN, please assign someone else to the Assassin this turn, I'm currently relying on cafes for internet.
I may just have the worst luck with rolls this mission!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Trundel posted:

PTN, please assign someone else to the Assassin this turn, I'm currently relying on cafes for internet.

I didn't miss your PM. We're good, thanks for the heads-up!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

I didn't miss your PM. We're good, thanks for the heads-up!

Curious question:
Does the Hunchback deal 5 points of damage to a building upon entering? And would I be able to shoot a building while being inside?

Example:
Would the following be possible?
1) Entering the building in 0819 (doing 5 damage)
2) Shooting it while inside with a ML (5 dmg)
3) Building collapes and deals 1 point of damage. TACing my ammo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope you can. Running into the building, levelling the building, shooting all the missiles through the cloud of debris. It's a good image.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Curious question:
Does the Hunchback deal 5 points of damage to a building upon entering? And would I be able to shoot a building while being inside?

Nope, no BattleMech can shoot a target occupying the same hex (some equipment like A- and B-pods are an exception to this).

quote:

3) Building collapes and deals 1 point of damage. TACing my ammo.

Any time you take damage there's a risk for a TAC or a Head Hit or a hilariously unlucky TAC -> Head Hit -> Cockpit destroyed pilot death. That'd pretty much be impaling your MechWarrior on rebar.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Thanks.

Plan B: So I'll get out of the rubble, move along the 07XX line and shoot the Building in 0819 with 2x ML after peppering the Awesome. I guess the the Warhamster could hold his shots to fire after me?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hmm, I suppose the Crab does have enough damned lasers to plow through those buildings and still have an LL or two left to work with. I really want to go try to finish Arroca this turn but I dunno about facing a pair of LLs with no move mod.

Though she did run and it's a long range, so it's 9s for her to hit even without me moving at all.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 15, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Don't forget there's also the Griffin to deal with. He might not be as dangerous as the Crab or Marauder but he's very maneuverable with a good gunnery score, and 20 damage is enough to force a piloting check. Don't let him get behind you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
gently caress it, orders in before I can doubt myself. Walking to 0816, facing 0717, hitting Arroca with everything, and going for the sweet, sweet justice foot to top it off if there's still a mech there after the shooting phase :black101:

You don't get a whole lot of chances to kick someone in the head when you have 6 piloting so I'm sure not gonna let this one get away.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Btw., if you just kill the Crab and PPC-gunslinger then Charlotte Walker in the "Pressure Cooker" will probably just run away, surrender or even defect. If it takes more than 13 rounds she'll probably just leave on her own rather than stay in a 4/6 with a whopping 13 potential damage output.
Plus this round's scatter roll was lucky.
The Griffin will be under much more pressure to put itself in potential LoS, given its job description.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
That's actually a good point. In the OP it says that pirates are cowards and tend to retreat if things start going south so taking out the Value Crab might be enough to convince the rest to throw in the towel.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Voyager I posted:

gently caress it, orders in before I can doubt myself. Walking to 0816, facing 0717, hitting Arroca with everything, and going for the sweet, sweet justice foot to top it off if there's still a mech there after the shooting phase :black101:

You don't get a whole lot of chances to kick someone in the head when you have 6 piloting so I'm sure not gonna let this one get away.

How often do characters get skill-ups in gunnery and piloting? Would a successful battle like this where you duly exercise your piloting rolls reasonably allow a fresh 6 to go straight to 5? I assume the better the scores the more experience it takes.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 15, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Okay going to end up in 0719 and will level the building in 0819 (should be an easy enough target).

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Catapult here. My plan is to just run forward as far as I can, which I believe is 0826... which is 9 hexes away from the Awesome, and the building in the way will be demolished by Tank Boy Ken. Is it worth my while firing all the SRM4s at the target, given that they'll probably be on 9s and 10s, and it might be kill-stealing or robbing another player of their sub-objective?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd hold fire just to give me less dice to roll. I really should've designed a few more machines with big heavy-hitters.

Edit: Like a Panther that was 100% Gauss Rifle or something.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd hold fire just to give me less dice to roll. I really should've designed a few more machines with big heavy-hitters.

At least my orders are always simple to execute! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I definitely would've piloted this. GAUSS RIFLESSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Well, rifle. Would the pilot have to make a roll every time they fired to prevent their mech from falling on its rear end?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Psion posted:

I definitely would've piloted this. GAUSS RIFLESSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Well, rifle. Would the pilot have to make a roll every time they fired to prevent their mech from falling on its rear end?

Nah, that's just Heavy Gauss Rifles IIRC.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I was joking ... that's a real rule? :v:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

I was joking ... that's a real rule? :v:

It is! Heavy Gauss Rifles force a pilot check vs. knockdown if it's fired on a turn the 'mech moved.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ha! I want one of those.

if I go to 0717 I can just kick the Awesome and maybe headcap it, right? I want a low-heat move. It's either that or just say "idgaf about you, Awesome" and move into 0818 and wreck Sal's wreckage for a bonus objective, and don't think I'm not tempted ... but I feel like a one-hex move right in front of the Awesome's guns would be, I dunno, unwise?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Go for the bloodlust - It hasn't been done yet in the thread, and it'd be stiff competition for fluff even with Arroca going down!

Cloud Potato posted:

Catapult here. My plan is to just run forward as far as I can, which I believe is 0826... which is 9 hexes away from the Awesome, and the building in the way will be demolished by Tank Boy Ken. Is it worth my while firing all the SRM4s at the target, given that they'll probably be on 9s and 10s, and it might be kill-stealing or robbing another player of their sub-objective?

Even at 9s you won't be landing more than about 9 or so missiles on average against an Awesome still healthy from the front, so I don't think you'll be stealing any kills, it's more likely to set it up. Might send it up the chain below you though if it isn't killed from behind or gets its head kicked off. Otoh, maybe the 7 full rounds that will remain isn't that much considering there's three healthy mechs left if counting the Awesome and Marauder together.
Otoh you could always add to the general devastation of the city by splitting fire on three different buildings (I think tertiary targets/3-way splits can be designated)!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I actually wouldn't mind Arroca just surrendering. There's no reason he'd get to keep his Awesome after the scenario's over, of course.

Removing that threat in one turn without us having to absorb any more damage would be ideal. I asked PTN about that in a pm so who knows,
maybe we can beat his face in this turn and then next turn move on to the Griffin.

Alternate option, get him to agree to "yeah you should surrender, I'll stop shooting at you." I would, in fact, honor that particular choice ... I'd stop shooting him. I wouldn't commit the rest of you to anything, of course. :v:

although if Voyager can repeat that excellent rear-arc ammo crit explosion on the Awesome, this whole question is moot.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 15, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well the Awesomes pilot is a fool after all...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well the Awesomes pilot is a fool after all...

Yes, this is why I asked for clarification on "defeat or kill," because Arroca is alone, about to get completely owned, and an idiot to boot. If PTN lets us go with this, I think we could generate a scenario in which he'd consider surviving to be a positive, even if dispossessed. He doesn't have to know that last part, after all.

e: Update. Everyone, get your murder on. Arroca does not get to live. I'll still get the bonus objective. :getin:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 15, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

Ha! I want one of those.

if I go to 0717 I can just kick the Awesome and maybe headcap it, right? I want a low-heat move. It's either that or just say "idgaf about you, Awesome" and move into 0818 and wreck Sal's wreckage for a bonus objective, and don't think I'm not tempted ... but I feel like a one-hex move right in front of the Awesome's guns would be, I dunno, unwise?

I don't think you can get there. You can't move through Arroca's hex, and going around him involves lots of turning, hills, and possibly difficult terrain. You can get to the uphill hex next to him and go for a head-kick but you would still be in close range for all his guns with no move mod.

EDIT: just make sure that none of the little guys end their turns next to him in his front arc, since he kicks for 16 damage and kick attacks have a -2 to-hit bonus so even godawful pilots like us can potentially land them.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

Yes, this is why I asked for clarification on "defeat or kill," because Arroca is alone, about to get completely owned, and an idiot to boot. If PTN lets us go with this, I think we could generate a scenario in which he'd consider surviving to be a positive, even if dispossessed. He doesn't have to know that last part, after all.

e: Update. Everyone, get your murder on. Arroca does not get to live. I'll still get the bonus objective. :getin:

I'm setting up to go deal with the PPC gunslinger jackass.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cloud Potato posted:

You have plenty of ammo, but a running alpha will build up some heat and one of your arms has a damaged actuator that will make it vanishingly unlikely to score a hit at extreme ranges. Throwing a hail-mary salvo off your good arm shouldn't do you any harm if you want to see how murderous PTN's dice are feeling.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Psion posted:

The guy is an idiot right? Why not say yes to him joining as long as he leads the charge? The instant he turns his back you shoot him and maybe he'll eat some shots from the boss crab at the same time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Voyager I posted:

I don't think you can get there. You can't move through Arroca's hex,

I thought you could, so long as you don't end up in the same hex. Mechs don't block LOS/movement. Are there different rules for enemies?

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The guy is an idiot right? Why not say yes to him joining as long as he leads the charge? The instant he turns his back you shoot him and maybe he'll eat some shots from the boss crab at the same time.

I checked with PTN on what my defeat or kill objective means and it rules out talking to Arroca, unless I talk to him with weapons.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Psion posted:

I thought you could, so long as you don't end up in the same hex. Mechs don't block LOS/movement. Are there different rules for enemies?

I believe enemy mechs block movement, but not LOS.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A hex represents an area 30 meters across. A mech is assumed to control that area, but does not completely fill it. You obstruct enemies from moving through, but still have room to allow an ally to pass and you don't block weapons fire from anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Voyager I posted:

A hex represents an area 30 meters across. A mech is assumed to control that area, but does not completely fill it. You obstruct enemies from moving through, but still have room to allow an ally to pass and you don't block weapons fire from anybody.

Which makes the whole "you can't shoot something in the same hex" rule pretty odd. And how do physical attacks work? You run into the middle of the enemy's hex, hit him, then run back to yours? You both meet at the border of the hexes? I get that it's an abstraction and that the core rules are 30 years old now, but some of the stuff in this game.... :doh:

• Locked thread