Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Felinoid posted:

Well that was indulgently trippy.

I hope that at the proper end of the LP you'll tell those of us not in the know what exactly you're flipping out about people not telling us now. Because that is some serious curiosity bait you just laid down.

Oh, there is so much left to show in this game and I can't wait. As for the ending, it's all kinds of super weird, much like the game itself, I suppose. But I think I like it? I don't really know what other kind of ending you could do. A plot-heavy one with lots of dialogue would feel really clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Valgaav posted:

The nega-cubes or anti-cubes or whatever they were, the blue ones that took up half the hexahedron

Take another look; you're just seeing the cubes we collected with the colours inverted.

quote:

That was a suspiciously long jump there at the end.

People, he means the jump Gomez did off the drums, which was really just for effect and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

quote:

It can't be easy keeping all this under your hat, especially while seeming perky and interested in every new thing despite the fact you must have seen it many times before.

I think you'd be surprised at how many times I'd played the game before doing this LP.

monster on a stick posted:

it's entirely possible to beat the game just exploring

Is it?

Yes it did.

All right, a fair number of you have now had some time to watch the latest video.

Now the challenge is on!

Partially because it's going to take a little bit to put together the video, and partially because I need to focus on things that actually involve my income, I'll be taking maybe a week or two off from the LP. In that time, those of you who haven't played Fez? Here's your chance to solve the puzzles ahead of me.

Every single actual puzzle in the game I've made a point of either not touching or not even encountering; some very obviously, some less so. However I've given you all the information you need to solve all but a few things. You can't solve the treasure maps, 'cause I never showed you them, you can't solve the locked door in the cemetery, 'cause I never went in there, and you can't solve a few other things. You can solve most things, though; and if you manage to solve everything that can currently be solved before anyone else, I've got a free copy of Fez with your name on it!

So go back to school, commune with nature, study the celestial signs; whatever you need to do to divine the answers, get to it, 'cause I won't be pausing to let you work things out when Puzzle Mode begins. Remember to put answers in spoiler blocks and have fun!

And those of you who have played Fez and feel like you'd be twiddling your thumbs in the meantime, since I know you must love the sound of my voice occasionally laid over predominately down-tempo music with accompanying, soothing visuals, and because I do love to plug my work where I can, why not pass the time with my Pid LP I did for Dectilon's hard games thread? It was a similar attempt to keep things relaxed, at least until the points of the game where the tempo picked up. I think the thread's even still kicking around with the archives issue.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

WHAT YOU CAN OPEN THE BOOK?! I never knew you could open the book :argh:

I liked what you did with your voice in that ending, and for the most part I'm not bothered by the ending, as we zoom in more and more and it seems like we're viewing the quantum foam of the universe. And then drums. I thought it was kinda charming!

I have not seen the NG+ ending, though, so my opinions may change when we get there.

I have to admit, I used a walkthrough for some of the harder puzzles because I'm lazy and couldn't be arsed to put in lots of cognitive effort (I wanted to have fun platforming!) So it'll be interesting to see what conclusions people in the thread come to. I'm keeping my mouth shut, though, and I hope you folks who already beat Fez will do the same.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That ending was...a thing. And a bit pretentious for its own good. (Basically I agree with Zoig.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

NGDBSS posted:

That ending was...a thing. And a bit pretentious for its own good.
In some ways, that makes it a pretty good introduction to the second half of Fez.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

In some ways, that makes it a pretty good introduction to the second half of Fez.

Now I'm expecting to hate all the puzzles I haven't seen yet. Not the obvious puzzles rooms that he skipped the first time around, probably, but whatever the other ones are.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The puzzles in Fez are actually all really cool and range from subtle to more mechanical. Well, there is one puzzle... I'm sure we'll get to that. Point is, don't let the ending sequence taint your view of them. They're not that spaced out.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ViggyNash posted:

Now I'm expecting to hate all the puzzles I haven't seen yet. Not the obvious puzzles rooms that he skipped the first time around, probably, but whatever the other ones are.
Rest assured that there are lots of really good puzzles and mechanics that we haven't seen yet but I just feel that some of them suffer from overuse, underuse or generally questionable design decisions. It's clever, but not as clever as it thinks it is, hence my agreeing with "a bit pretentious for its own good."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the ending as pretentious. As someone else said, it's basically "anatomy of a pixel" and once you realize that, it's an extended "zoom-in" sequence. There aren't exactly dancing midgets or something.

VVVV - I never said you called it pretentious, someone else did. Not every message in this thread is a personal response directed at you. Though now you appear to be saying it's pretentious so :confused:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 15, 2014

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I uh, I never said it was pretentious, I said it was nonsense. More specifically , I felt like it was basically one of those visualization things windows media player would do to make ya think it meant something when it literally means nothing and was just meant to confuse the player. It felt like the visual equivalent of writing a bunch of bullshit for a paper because you have no idea what to actually write so you write this instead and hope people will find some meaning in it, despite being meaningless.

I don't think its pretentious if it doesn't mean a drat thing, but i do think its a waste of time, and a bit silly.

On the other hand, if it actually was supposed to mean something then yeah, it would be one of the most pretentious things I have ever seen.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
It's really nothing more than a zoom-in and showing the poo poo everything in the world is made of, possibly also how broken it is from you screwing up your quest or whatever it is you're supposed to do here. I don't really call it a bad thing, and it works fine for a bad ending. Except for the weird drum thing at the end.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Cheez posted:

It's really nothing more than a zoom-in and showing the poo poo everything in the world is made of, possibly also how broken it is from you screwing up your quest or whatever it is you're supposed to do here. I don't really call it a bad thing, and it works fine for a bad ending. Except for the weird drum thing at the end.

Hey, if you screwed up your quest to save the universe, wouldn't you lug your drum kit up to the highest point in town and just jam for a bit?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Now the challenge is on!

I'm gonna go for the low-hanging fruit now, and come back for some others once I've gone back through the videos.

Working out the language, the long (and short) way.

The drums were the best.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

^^^ wow that's one of the most bullshit puzzles I've seen and I've finished both versions of La Mulana.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Deathwind posted:

^^^ wow that's one of the most bullshit puzzles I've seen and I've finished both versions of La Mulana.

You really can't be serious. Literally even.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bear in mind that I mention down the bottom I missed the obvious clue about it until right at the end. That was pretty much circumventing the entire solution and coming at it from the wrong side.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Stelas posted:

Bear in mind that I mention down the bottom I missed the obvious clue about it until right at the end. That was pretty much circumventing the entire solution and coming at it from the wrong side.

So that's why frozentreasure freaked out when me and some other guy said that. I had no idea that was the translation. It's obtuse, but amusingly ingenious.

This does mean you're going to translate the rest of the game for us, right? :v:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's interesting that you call that "low-hanging fruit" when everything it "unlocks" is just easter eggs.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Haha, really? Man. It's the most obvious puzzle to be solved, especially given the book, so I figured it was the place to start.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

frozentreasure posted:

It's interesting that you call that "low-hanging fruit" when everything it "unlocks" is just easter eggs.

Are you sure? I seem to remember POSTING SPOILERS

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 16, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
On top of being wrong, wow, you're good at the whole "following rules" thing.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Stelas posted:

I'm gonna go for the low-hanging fruit now, and come back for some others once I've gone back through the videos.

Working out the language, the long (and short) way.

The drums were the best.

Yeah, that's how I did it. And then also kicked myself when I eventually found the room with the clues for that. Substitution cyphers are so common in games that you can get by in the vast majority of games that try to include code.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cheez posted:

I will take issue that it is a bad ending. Editing out what I think are non-spoilers but we can talk about it once the LP is over.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I will take issue that it is a bad ending. Editing out what I think are non-spoilers but we can talk about it once the LP is over.
I dunno, I would say the glitched up restart, crazy pixelation and lo-fi sound, not to mention the lack of collecting all the things, is everything required to make up a bad ending.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cheez posted:

I dunno, I would say the glitched up restart, crazy pixelation and lo-fi sound, not to mention the lack of collecting all the things, is everything required to make up a bad ending.

My interpretation was that the pixelation was the key part of the sequence - it led to the red Fez being a single pixel and thus the "anatomy of a pixel" ending sequence, and the lo-fi sound was a good accompaniment to that. The Chopin piece during the sequence was kind of 'pixelated'-sounding but most of the soundtrack was that way too.

I think it's best if we hold off discussing this in more detail until after the LP is over and we see what Fez has in store for us, lest we venture too far into spoiler territory. :)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

I will take issue that it is a bad ending.

I think Cheez means "bad ending" as in "an ending which is undesirable", rather than "a poor ending".

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

I think Cheez means "bad ending" as in "an ending which is undesirable", rather than "a poor ending".

In the game Virtue's Last Reward, there are many endings to the game. There's only one optimal ending which is considered beating the game; however, many of the other endings give you information needed to get that good ending, and tend to be interesting for reasons (like providing character back-history and motivation.)

Checking the Zero Escape wiki, there is a poll and one of those endings (Luna's) is more popular than the optimal ending! (And I understand why, it is very well-written and rather sweet, and focuses on one of the more popular characters.)

So given this - that some of those endings are required watching, and some are actually pretty well-written - do you classify them as "bad"? I mean, they're not the ending that lets you beat the game, I'm not making that assertion.

If we make the assumption that the designer of Fez intended you to go open the 32 cube door as soon as you had 32 cubes - Dot encourages you to do exactly this, and I think entering the easily-found 32 cube door is the point of no return - then he also intended you to see this ending. Perhaps Gomez is experiencing what we are seeing - he starts viewing the world differently, as blocky groups of colors, then takes one of those color blocks (the red Fez) and experiences that finer and finer closeup all the way to the quantum level. (I don't think that the "blockiness" is something that is actually happening - Gomez is clearly alive and well at the end, and the village seems to be intact; rather it's what Gomez is experiencing.) Maybe the designer thinks that this ending is required viewing for the player for whatever reason. Maybe both.

My personal perspective is that this doesn't make the ending bad, poor, or even undesirable; it's not true failure. It's growth. If we go with the "Gomez is experiencing this" theory, then he's learning what he's made of, getting a different perspective of the world he lives in, and comes out the better for it.

(From a purely technical perspective - I actually really like this ending, the graphics and music work very well together and I always get a bit of a shiver when we're down to the quantum level and the reverb from the music kicks in. It has a lot more love and care put into it than frankly a lot of other video game endings.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Do you people realize that "bad ending" is just a technical term for "not the true ending"? It's a holdover from CYOA style games where the endings before the true ending were some sort of bad end for the character.

On the VLR example, that game doesn't really end though. It certainly feels like hitting an ending, hence a "bad ending", but given the structure of the game it really doesn't feel right to call it an ending at all. It's more like an exploration game where there are many paths that are dead ends, but have important stuff at the end or along the way that you want/need to find. Traditional visual novels have hard and fast "bad ends" wherein the character dies or is unable to continue the quest/story for whatever reason.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So given this - that some of those endings are required watching, and some are actually pretty well-written - do you classify them as "bad"?

You shouldn't split the word "bad" off like it's an adjective; I mean, it is an adjective, but when it comes to games with multiple endings, the phrase "Bad Ending" is often used as a single unit to mean "any ending which is not the Good Ending (or the True Ending, if the game has one of those)". A Bad Ending is any ending wherein the plot is not fully resolved, and many games have several of those in addition to at least one Good Ending. The word is not meant to reflect on the quality of the ending, only to indicate that the plot is not yet resolved, there is more to see, and you should go back and try again if you want more. Some games have multiple levels of Bad Endings and might not refer to all of them by that word... there might then be a "normal" ending wherein the plot is just not fully resolved, and the "bad ending" is reserved for the one wherein everyone dies horribly and you know you really screwed up.

The discussed multiple endings in VLR are all "bad endings" in one way or another, because they are not the real ending, although VLR is kind an exception because it has such a unique story structure. If you've ever played Clock Tower, endings D-H are all the Bad Endings and A-C are considered Good Endings. The ending to FEZ we just saw is a bad ending though.

e:f,b

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

No, I mean I think it's the literal bad ending. Bad for the world, bad for the characters.

How about the part where during the bad ending they were playing some really downer music during the whole thing, and the wiggly grid lines and the spasming tetris pieces that don't seem to know what they want to be, and all the other stuff that looks kind of bad when you look at it up close and put it in the context of a universe that's all about defined, rigid lines and right angles that obey relatively strict laws? Not knowing what any of the text of the game says or being able to torture the information out of Phil Fish or whoever came up with the story for this thing, there's no way to know for sure what it means... But as far as I can tell, none of it is good.

I guess we may or may not find out later with information from the game, but I find it hard to argue that everything is fine and Gomez playing the drums is "canon" during that ending.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cheez posted:

How about the part where during the bad ending they were playing some really downer music during the whole thing, and the wiggly grid lines and the spasming tetris pieces that don't seem to know what they want to be, and all the other stuff that looks kind of bad when you look at it up close and put it in the context of a universe that's all about defined, rigid lines and right angles that obey relatively strict laws?
Put that way, it sounds a lot like reality.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I will not tolerate any reality in my videogames thanks.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've gotten the video edited and just need to do commentary, but is nobody but Stelas interested in the puzzles? I get wanting to talk about the ending, but I would've thought there'd be a bit more talk of the puzzles, with how obvious some of them are. At the moment, you would only need to figure out two puzzles to win, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the puzzles become a bit more obvious once one or two are done. Until the main puzzle mechanic is shown in action, it isn't obvious. Also, the bit in the game that shows it off is much more apparent to the person holding the controller than to someone who is just watching.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

frozentreasure posted:

I've gotten the video edited and just need to do commentary, but is nobody but Stelas interested in the puzzles? I get wanting to talk about the ending, but I would've thought there'd be a bit more talk of the puzzles, with how obvious some of them are. At the moment, you would only need to figure out two puzzles to win, too.

I loving hate the "hidden" puzzles in this game and it made me quit it. I enjoyed the chill exploration when playing myself, but that poo poo was just too much.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

frozentreasure posted:

I think there are very few puzzles or other things that don't fall into one of the following categories:

a) decryption puzzles that most people don't want to put time into
b) areas or things that we haven't even seen yet for various reasons
c) puzzles that are really, really non-obvious until you understand certain things which are themselves not really obvious, especially if you're just watching a video and not playing to try things out
d) puzzles that require a bit of doing in order to figure out what you might actually be trying to do
e) puzzles that rely on treasure maps you haven't shown us
f) pure bullshit

The only ones that people might get are category a), which they have the clues to solve a number of but not all of them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It was hinted at that the skull tombstones are a puzzle. I'm guessing that you have to make them all face the same direction. I don't know how you do that though.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I've never played FEZ before and only watched this LP (that I love!), so trying to solve the puzzles whenever I can't even recognize what parts of the scenery are puzzles is difficult.

I recognize the blocks lying around in some of those hidden zones that have warp gates in them as block-pushing puzzles, but that's going to be tricky to solve in-thread...

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I can't tell you much, I've beaten the game v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mraagvpeine posted:

It was hinted at that the skull tombstones are a puzzle. I'm guessing that you have to make them all face the same direction. I don't know how you do that though.

Congrats! You solved a puzzle.

• Locked thread