Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pondex posted:

All that theorycrafting about the kessel-run just goes to show how amazingly tonedeaf nerds generally are. That whole scene is Han Solo conning Obi-Wan and Luke out of their money because he's clocked them as a couple of rubes. Which they are. An old man who hasn't been off the planet in 25 years and a kid who's never set foot in a bar before.

"Ever heard of the Millenium Falcon?" Of course they haven't heard of the loving Millenium Falcon, but when he puts it like that it has to be a pretty famous ship, right?

"Does the Kessel-run in 18 parsecs" Boy that sure sounds fast! This ship must be amazing! There's no such thing as "The kessel-run". Sure, they retconned in a planet called Kessel later, but it was more likely just the brand of space-peanuts or whatever he was eating with his space-beer. Or the name of the prostitute he went and saw last night.

And they agree to the first price he mentions. He would have taken them off the planet for a third of that price with a bit of bargaining. Haggling must lead to the dark side or something.

And the ship's hyperdrive (arguably a pretty critical part) fails, what, twice?

QED: The Millenium Falcon is an old piece of poo poo and Han Solo is an rear end in a top hat conman.

Mind you, that doesn't make the films worse. In fact it make them more interesting that a main character is such an anti-hero and his ship is so unreliable.

But I guess nerds got to mythologize something as the fastest or the bestest like they're a bunch of five-year-olds.

That sounds pretty much right, but earlier in the movie, C-3PO does mention getting smashed into who knows what in the spice mines of Kessel
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pondex posted:

Being a smuggler-ship, it stands to reason that it is. It's not a fast, reliable ship though. :)

Agreed, there is certainly a distinction

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Otisburg posted:

no, you see thrawn did not have the power of battle meditation himself, he employed the services of the clone dark jedi joruus cibath, being sure to keep a bunch of force-voiding space weasels around him at all time (not the kind han solo made love to, a different kind of space weasel) as a hedge should joruus turn on him

From a few pages back, but this is easily the most EU sentence I've ever read. It features a character not in the movies using the secret ultra-powerful Force abilities of a clone of a character not in the movies and using anti-Force powers from a creature not mentioned in the movies that is different from a similar creature Han Solo hosed, and it all takes place inside of a scene in Return of the Jedi. This is peak EU.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You see, with the idea of hyperspace, you can boast of making a run in less parsecs, meaning you found a way to get to the destination via a shorter distance. One assumes this means traveling close to a star or a black hole or something dangerous - a route most people wouldn't take.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Like you could be watching any scene in Star Wars and if the camera moved like one room over you're going to have Boba Fett's Jedi clone fighting Darth Vader's secret apprentice and the little bat guy from the cantina for the fate of the galaxy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Otisburg posted:

no, you see thrawn did not have the power of battle meditation himself, he employed the services of the clone dark jedi joruus cibath, being sure to keep a bunch of force-voiding space weasels around him at all time (not the kind han solo made love to, a different kind of space weasel) as a hedge should joruus turn on him

han solo hosed a weasel?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

That monster that grabs Luke in the trash compactor wasn't just some random creature, it was Ancient Jedi Master Striss Goblai, and as soon as he grabbed Luke's leg he realized that he was holding the fate of the galaxy in his tentacle and released him, and also he trained Yoda

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

From a few pages back, but this is easily the most EU sentence I've ever read. It features a character not in the movies using the secret ultra-powerful Force abilities of a clone of a character not in the movies and using anti-Force powers from a creature not mentioned in the movies that is different from a similar creature Han Solo hosed, and it all takes place inside of a scene in Return of the Jedi. This is peak EU.

Not to defend poo poo writing but they're more like fat iguanas with fur, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ysalamir, while the thing Han Solo hosed was a bipedal otter.

The EU is at the same conceptual level as children claiming they have whatever will trump whatever the other kid has while playing laser fights or some other make believe game.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Wolfsheim posted:

Like you could be watching any scene in Star Wars and if the camera moved like one room over you're going to have Boba Fett's Jedi clone fighting Darth Vader's secret apprentice and the little bat guy from the cantina for the fate of the galaxy

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Best part of the Clone Wars series was the episode where they showed us a clone deserter. Upped and left when his squad were killed, adopted a family and became a farmer. Have a bit more depth to the potential for what the clones can do. Naturally, his clone colleagues were outraged.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wolfsheim posted:

That monster that grabs Luke in the trash compactor wasn't just some random creature, it was Ancient Jedi Master Striss Goblai, and as soon as he grabbed Luke's leg he realized that he was holding the fate of the galaxy in his tentacle and released him, and also he trained Yoda

You know I think you just made that up but it's the kind of thing that could be real in the EU.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I don't think Han Solo ever hosed the otter, it was female but I think they met after he married Leia.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Fetus Tree posted:

it seems naive to think that GL has no influence on star wars imo

im not saying i know for a fact that he does, but jj abrams probably worships the guy

Lucas is the largest private shareholder of Walt Disney corporation .. Half of the lucafilm deal was paid for in Disney shares.

So technically speaking he does have some control over things but it's more likely they will consult with him from time to time on some things.

lfield
May 10, 2008
A Mofference was a secret conference held by the Imperial Central Committee of Grand Moffs in the secluded Mofference room of their Moffship.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

lfield posted:

A Mofference was a secret conference held by the Imperial Central Committee of Grand Moffs in the secluded Mofference room of their Moffship.

"I bid you all Dark Greetings!"
―A quote from Grand Moff Hissa, used by the Wookieepedia community to represent their own Mofferences

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

gohuskies posted:

"I bid you all Dark Greetings!"
―A quote from Grand Moff Hissa, used by the Wookieepedia community to represent their own Mofferences

OH COME ON

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mofference

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Don't read "Kenobi". Not because it's bad, it's just boring.

"Darth Plagueius", on the other hand, is the Citizen Kane of the EU.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-OPhGYggjQ

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Jedi Prince (along with The Glove of Darth Vader, The Trioculus Saga, or the Son of Palpatine series) is the informal name given to a series of Star Wars young reader novels that "take up where Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi left off." The title "Jedi Prince" refers to Ken, the twelve-year-old hero of the series who teams up with Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance to fight the Empire.

The Empire, led by Grand Moff Hissa and Supreme Prophet Kadann, attempt to install Trioculus as Emperor, claiming that he is Palpatine's son. Palpatine's real son, according to the series, is a madman named Triclops. Both Trioculus and Triclops are mutants who have three eyes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

quote:

"Any Prophet of the Dark Side who approaches and tries to enter our Moffship will be taken hostage. That's our only way to bargain with Kadann, and save what little power we grand moffs [sic] have left in the Empire, now that Kadann has declared himself to be the new Imperial leader!"
―Grand Moff Hissa, during the Mofference of 5 ABY[src]

I'm the Moffship

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

No loving way. I thought for sure that was fake. Especially when i got to 'moffship'

Jfc

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

No loving way. I thought for sure that was fake. Especially when i got to 'moffship'

Jfc

What up my Moffer!

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

gohuskies posted:

I don't think Han Solo ever hosed the otter, it was female but I think they met after he married Leia.

Yeah I read that horrible wookiepedia thing and I didn't see anything about Han having sex with that otter.

Would've been funny if he did

Otter: *makes otter noises*

Han: I know...

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It was really racist for leia to call chewie a walking carpet

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fetus Tree posted:

Jfc

Dude, we've already established that everything has happened in the EU!

I came up with 5-6 insanely improbable scenarios (but not too crazy) and in the next few posts other goons linked to those things actually happening in the EU.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Blistex posted:

Dude, we've already established that everything has happened in the EU!

I came up with 5-6 insanely improbable scenarios (but not too crazy) and in the next few posts other goons linked to those things actually happening in the EU.

I know and i believed it but once he said moffship i knew it had to be fake.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fetus Tree posted:

It was really racist for leia to call chewie a walking carpet

Dated too, people these days don't understand the concept of shag carpeting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To be fair, this is considered bad and not really official continuity even by the EU nerds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pondex posted:

"Does the Kessel-run in 18 parsecs" Boy that sure sounds fast! This ship must be amazing! There's no such thing as "The kessel-run". Sure, they retconned in a planet called Kessel later, but it was more likely just the brand of space-peanuts or whatever he was eating with his space-beer. Or the name of the prostitute he went and saw last night.

C-3P0 mentions Kessel like five minutes into the movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Bringing us about, Your Moffulence

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
KotOR used the Battle Meditation plot point too but at least there they had the excuse of needing to figure out a way for you to effect a huge space battle in a game with no spaceship combat

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Battle meditation makes a lot more sense if its between only force users, like in some of the vong books. Basically a LAN for your jedibrains

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, this is considered bad and not really official continuity even by the EU nerds.

Complicated ranking system for determining which nerd hadith are 'real' and which aren't, and the caring about thereof, are far dumber than any Mofference.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Complicated ranking system for determining which nerd hadith are 'real' and which aren't, and the caring about thereof, are far dumber than any Mofference.

it's not official or anything its just a tacit agreement to not give a poo poo about it

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Actually a number of us have officially agreed

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I remember reading this one funny comic about Star Wars. You know that one red astromech droid that Uncle Owen was gonna buy before it blew up? Well this comic says it was actually a droid Jedi and it had seen that R2-D2 must meet with Luke if the galaxy was to survive. So he heroically blew himself up so that R2-D2 and C-3PO would be selected instead.

I thought the comic was decently funny at the time, but now that I've looked into the EU, it's even better because now I know it was taking the piss out of all these other loving people who would probably make the Bantha that Aunt Beru got her blue milk from a Force Sensitive that foresaw that Luke would need strong bones if he were to fight the Empire, so it willingly let Beru milk it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

On the other hand, I would totally watch a show about the inner bureaucratic workings of the Empire if it had Martin Freeman and Ricky Gervais. Or did the BBC already make "The Moffice"?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Netflix did, and it stars kevin spacey. House of Karrdes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thank you for this precious bonne motte that I will run into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Technically it's real but the EU Council of Elders basically retconned it all to "never happened" status because the writer went off the reservation. As opposed to Pheremone Date Rape Guy, whose storyline was the focus of a massive marketing push with a video game and everything.

Oh, I did forget a certain series of video games that I'm glad happened earlier:

SUPER STAR WARS

Vaguely follow the plot of the first three movies, meeting all the cast of characters who incidentally appeared, and slaughter them. It's one of the better Super Nintendo games. Also the bottom of the sand crawler has a lava monster that kidnapped R2D2. You know, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb39BV6Gs40&t=1030s

Super Star Wars was fairly challenging but I never beat Super Return of the Jedi because escaping out of the exploding Death Star was just about impossible, so in my Official Super Star Wars continuity, the black guy dies at the end. I never got Super Empire Strikes Back but I hear Darth Vader was similarly difficult.

• Locked thread