Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I've been away for a bit---Mary Worth: this old woman (not Mary) was the one who kept crashing her car in the parking lot and was thinking of the old folks home, right? Did she go and meet Old Man there?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Valiantman posted:

Isn't there a page or two yet?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just wrapping up after the adventures of Derring-Do Dan, and then we're into the Boogeyman epic that all this has been setting the stage for.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo gives us unexpected results. (December 12-14, 1956)

Peanuts: Year Two (December 17-19, 1951)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix (because I'm not done with these, either...)

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

He's telling her that story because, well, the rat wanted to hear another adventure story, a bittersweet tale that tugs at the heartstrings, and Derring-Do Dan the Adventure Man could neither deny her last request nor refuse an opportunity to tell a story of his heroism, even if it does end in sadness. It's the 1001 Nights framing device; "Of course you're going to kill me, but first, a story. And then another story. And then a third. And then you're not going to kill me after all."

ETA: I just read through this storyline again, and the rat actually asks for two more stories after this; a happy story, so she doesn't have to die with a head full of bittersweet melancholy, and the climax of Derring-Do Dan's adventures, his greatest story of all. Then, after Dan decides he can't kill her after all and asks for her name, she says it's long and hard to pronounce, but Scheri will do.

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just wrapping up after the adventures of Derring-Do Dan, and then we're into the Boogeyman epic that all this has been setting the stage for.

Hey, could you not do this? Thanks.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

I don't know how common this is elsewhere because I've never seen it outside Finland, but there sometimes in the supermarket the cashier will put the frozen stuff you buy in a small bag to... I don't know, prevent the other stuff in your shopping bag from getting wet?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You want the cold stuff to stay cold, so you put it with the other cold stuff to limit the amount of not-cold there is around to remove your cold.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
You also want to keep it together to ensure you get it all put away first when you get home.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Well they put each individual item in a separate thin plastic bag, so it's not to keep them cold nor to keep them together.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

I've been away for a bit---Mary Worth: this old woman (not Mary) was the one who kept crashing her car in the parking lot and was thinking of the old folks home, right? Did she go and meet Old Man there?

Yes, that's Hanna Dingdon. I think the dude's name is Sean.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Andorra posted:

[me spoiling every major plot twist for this comic]
Hey, could you not do this? Thanks.

Sorry. I'm a habitual spoiler and forget that not everybody else is OK with that. And in my defense, I thought those were sufficiently vague spoilers to not ruin anybody's enjoyment of the story.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way salutes the birthday boy! (April 2-3, 1926)

This is even better given that anyone talking about "carloads" in 1926 was most likely talking about railroad cars, not automobiles. He's going to be drilling holes in those things for a YEAR. I love this strip.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm surprised these Out Our Ways did not spur a longstanding tradition of machine shop comics.

Huh, there's a Bull of the Woods wilderness area here in Oregon. My one minute of google research goes on to say that it is a logging term. Neat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If someone ever collected all the Chickweed cat comics together, it would legitimately be a fantastic read.

It really wouldn't. The best you can say about McEldowney's cat comics is at least they're not as bad as all his other comics.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

A rare appearance of the eponymous Funky.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Gorilla Salad posted:

The best cat comic of our age ruined because the artist can't stop masturbating over gams and gums.

If someone ever collected all the Chickweed cat comics together, it would legitimately be a fantastic read.

IIRC McEldowney did publish a book of the cat comics way early in the strip's run. I like some of the cat strips, but I never got the book because the price is stupidly high.

He's pretty clearly running out the clock on his contract with the other strips, The cat ones at least show some originality. Some of them are not ha ha funny, but "yeah, that's how cats are" funny.

One from November 2000:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're definitely not "wacky" Garfield strips where the cat's reading the paper, drinking coffee and bitching about Mondays. They're fun strips which anyone who has ever owned a cat can identify with.

I suppose I just really, REALLY want him to stop all the other poo poo he's doing because it's so goddamn creepy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh please, we all know that anything untoward you see in Brooke's comics is a relic of your own dirty mind. He would never draw anything base and sexual.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What the gently caress? What the gently caress?? :psyboom:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Alabaster White posted:

Boyce was remarkably lucid, and almost funny, there. New meds?

Jane's World

She went too? I don't remember that part.

Non Sequitur

Not Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts. They are not of this Earth.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban's Cats is still 12/11.

9 Chickweed Lane 12/16/2003

Grumpy old bat. I'd like to know what made her so bitchy. She seemed pretty OK back in her WWII Nazi loving days.

Zits

crazy_current_technology_teens_always_use.gif

Kevin & Kell

This is just getting better, and better. WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU GIVING GIFTS TO YOUR loving FOOD!!??

Awesome! This is going to be a great Nemi week.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kevin and Kell owns if you just roll with the insanity.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Poptropica

Heathcliff

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alabaster White posted:

Never seen a Red Box rental machine?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kevin and Kell owns if you just roll with the insanity.

That's what I keep saying. I wonder if one of the predator kids will give the dismembered and partially eaten corpse of a loved one to one of the herbivore kids.

"Merry Christmas. Here's what's left of your sister.

XOXOXOX

The predator school."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Boyce was remarkably lucid, and almost funny, there. New meds?

Shame he had to ruin the moment with the extra commas.

Unnecessary Old Man Moment: They used to make a Bugs Bunny-branded kid's toothpaste that tasted all tutti-frutti. I used to squeeze the tube and lick that stuff off my fingers like candy because even though I was smart, I wasn't necessarily bright. A couple of decades later somebody took squeeze-tube candy to market. Moral of the story: I was born in the wrong drat decade.

Skippy (October 11, 1927)

Peanuts (December 20, 1967)

Charlie Brown's misery would be properly placed if he was in another strip. Like Funky Winkerbean, for instance.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 5-6, 1926)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 17, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County keeps on trumpin'.

Calvin And Hobbes

Dig Calvin's mom's skirt's pattern.

Ripley's

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Grumpy old bat. I'd like to know what made her so bitchy. She seemed pretty OK back in her WWII Nazi loving days.

It's because she knew how long the WWII Nazi storyline would last for.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Another colouring mistake here, obviously. If the fire was hot enough to burn through the leather of that briefcase, Martin's calves should be blackened and splitting open like a turkey that went straight into the oven from the freezer.

Clearly Martin's briefcase was made of paper.

SomeMathGuy posted:

quote:

Family Circus

No, I don't remember that because handheld video cameras have been a mainstay since the 1980s, and everyone's been obsessively cataloging their children's pageants ever since, which is now something like 30 years. Gilchrist, you loving ha-

Wait a second.

I guess Jeff Keane is mentally stuck in the late 70s/early 80s -- just like JOHN DARLING!!!!!

In today's installment, John and his director have fallen victim to the Fuel Crisis of 1979.

Punchline of today's strip: even though his director wants to be whimsical and carefree, John is being sensible and rational.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Lovely.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Awesome! This is going to be a great Nemi week.
I feel like the only person who doesn't like Nemi. Half of it is smug "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" poo poo and the other half is "Nemi is wacky and likes chocolate or something." It's like a milder Hot Topic, but in a comicstrip. I don't get it. :confused:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set fails to identify the source of the problem.

Working Daze is still doing "a grown man believes in Santa". Isn't that hi-larious? :haw:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Riiiight. A "yellow dye".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

I've spent way too long looking for the jokes in these. Nice job skipping a line in the song to not give away the hilarious punch line in the first strip. Why does bald Quagmire's Christmas list indicate that Santa either loves or hates him? Santa doesn't make your Christmas list for you. Is the joke in the last strip that the fanart looks terrifying? Look at that Grinch. Look at that Rudolph

Also I don't think the artist knows what a picture frame is; which is troubling.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rudolf isn't a cartoon, numbnuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Why are all the framed pictures flexing like and creasing like crazy wherever they're touched? Is it because you can't even do your own lovely type of knockoff art correctly?

Well, beaten I guess but gently caress

Also, I enjoy Retail so thanks for posting it. I have worked enough retail in my life to relate to almost every single strip.

• Locked thread