Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mortabis posted:

Rent a car.
We did this a little over a year ago. We were staying in Arlington/Crystal City and really, for the price of renting a car for 1 day it was nothing compared to farting around with transit or paying $$$ for cab rides. Besides, it's handy to have the vehicle in case there is something else you want to do while you have it.

Also, plan on spending the entire day there. Seriously.

Here is a link from my Udvar-hazy visit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=86973&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post408981055

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I swear McD couldn't recreate that in the sim.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

That sounds about right.

It's the same thing with other oddball incidents and accidents which involved structural failure or loss of flight controls such as UAL232, JAL123 and ELY1862. When loading all available data into the box and letting other crew have a go at the same scenario nobody manages to get as far as the flight crew who was actually at the controls at the time, even with the benefit of hindsight. Sims, be it civil, military or engineering/scientific tend to be limited in that way, especially where it concerns asymmetric flight other than a fairly simple loss of thrust from one or two engines with no other effects. There is simply no flight test data available that would be detailed enough for this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

holocaust bloopers posted:

You are correct, and they couldn't get it to fly according to its model concept, its another one of those 'Engineering Concepts not proven in Simulation, but apparent in reality'

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I was not aware any U.S. carriers had the TV option on the ErJ175. I work on strictly 175s .

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Having worked around aircraft structures, I have a bigger problem with this concept now than I did before. At least on the wings you have something to hang it from that connects to the keel and CG is low. What do they do with that engine? Hang it from STR0 and hope for the best?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

slidebite posted:

We did this a little over a year ago. We were staying in Arlington/Crystal City and really, for the price of renting a car for 1 day it was nothing compared to farting around with transit or paying $$$ for cab rides. Besides, it's handy to have the vehicle in case there is something else you want to do while you have it.

Also, plan on spending the entire day there. Seriously.

Here is a link from my Udvar-hazy visit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=86973&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post408981055

Yeah I live in Fairfax and I think a lot of people who visit the area especially from Europe just aren't used to the kind of distances involved here. Dulles is like 30 miles from DC, seriously you want to rent a god drat car. Also you can visit the civil war battlefields in VA if you have one, which are pretty cool, but likely not of a ton of interest to people not from the US.

e: you could possibly save money staying in Tysons actually and taking the newly-opened silver line at the beginning and end of the day if you're going into Washington, then just driving around in a rental car to see the stuff in Virginia. Could also stay in Vienna or Fairfax and take the Orange Line but I think there are more hotels in the Tysons area. I have no idea what hotel prices are like though cause obviously I have no need to stay in them.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
30 miles isn't poo poo to me but I'm used to transit :shrug:

Still, if you can't or don't want to rent a car, expect a long trip out. If you can, it's definitely the best way to get to Dulles. We drove from Dupont Circle last time I went and it was fine all the way out and back, so I normally agree that a car is the best. Just this time I'm not renting one so I'll find out how the Silver/983 route works.

also if we're reposting all our Udvar-Hazy links, mine is easy - my first post in the thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=391&perpage=40#post421823408

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Greataval posted:

I was not aware any U.S. carriers had the TV option on the ErJ175. I work on strictly 175s .

He has to be in Europe.

The reason why americans are laughing is that if you're going to a rural airport you can end up in a Beech 1900. Moderate sized cities are often served exclusively by ERJ-135s or CRJ-200s. In the US ERJ-175s are often used on routes approaching 3 hours long, they're actually quite nice compared to the 50 seats or less regionals.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ctishman posted:

Having worked around aircraft structures, I have a bigger problem with this concept now than I did before. At least on the wings you have something to hang it from that connects to the keel and CG is low. What do they do with that engine? Hang it from STR0 and hope for the best?

Why does the CG have anything to do with it? And keel? The 747 fuselage is mostly a stressed skin structure, so it's just a question of not overloading any one point on the skin. Even the wings are stressed skin structures.. but they do have spars in them, which is where things like the engine hardpoints attach to. None of that really relates to the height of the CG in relation to the airframe.

I'll bet that stub wing has a lot of structure bolted to the inside of the top deck there. Potentially even linking to the decking hardpoints for the upper floor. But... that's just a wild guess.

The only wacky thing I can see with it, is the slight asymmetrical thrust.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Why does the CG have anything to do with it? And keel? The 747 fuselage is mostly a stressed skin structure, so it's just a question of not overloading any one point on the skin. Even the wings are stressed skin structures.. but they do have spars in them, which is where things like the engine hardpoints attach to. None of that really relates to the height of the CG in relation to the airframe.

I'll bet that stub wing has a lot of structure bolted to the inside of the top deck there. Potentially even linking to the decking hardpoints for the upper floor. But... that's just a wild guess.

The only wacky thing I can see with it, is the slight asymmetrical thrust.

Well, maybe it's because I only work on '37s, but the engine is a really, really loving heavy piece of equipment in comparison to the rest of the aircraft structure. As you said, the engine is hung from the nacelle which is hung from the wing spar which in turn crosses through the keel and is balanced by a similar engine on the other side. What I mean is that you can't just go hanging the engine willy-nilly off of anything you please. Again, I only have the model of the '37's floor beams to go off of, but I don't see anything in there NEARLY bulky enough to support the weight of an engine.

The only way I can see it working is if they hung a massive spar from the keel beam up to the top of the fuselage, but then the added weight of the spar, to say nothing of the engine, would make that 747 the most nose-heavy aircraft ever conceived by the human mind. Maybe they stuck a bunch of iron weights or 'passengers of size' in the back or something.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Compare it to the 747 SCA. The cabin shell structure was heavily modified to carry the added load of the shuttle from the mounting points which carry most of the shuttle's weight, to the 747's center wing box and main landing gear without any changes visible from the outside.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Tsuru posted:

Compare it to the 747 SCA. The cabin shell structure was heavily modified to carry the added load of the shuttle from the mounting points which carry most of the shuttle's weight, to the 747's center wing box and main landing gear without any changes visible from the outside.

drat. Okay, that's just a beautiful mod in general. Must get cold as gently caress back there in flight. Presumably they're not giving rides to anything but the shuttle though.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I actually just noticed that some pieces of it are milled castings rather than riveted sheet :sax:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Setting aside the “how”, why would the test engine be mounted like that? Why can’t one of the existing underwing pylons be adapted? Surely a 747 can safely operate with three full‐size engines while lightly loaded.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aviation week profiled it when it started flying. Take a look at the last picture for the structural question.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Model 777 made entirely out of manilla folders :wtc:

http://www.notiun.org/2014/12/an-insanely-detailed-boeing-777.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That is....uh....detailed....

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Load test on the main gear - note that the pistons compress as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DavGOXf_OI

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well, we now know he's a diabetic.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

We make the torque box that attaches these to the engine pylons, I wonder how accurate his assemblies and poo poo are compared to the actual models

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The lighting makes that engine photo pretty cool, I gotta say.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As far as that side mount engine test bed is concerned, that configuration isn't new at all. On the north side of Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, Allied Signal/Garret/Air Research/Honeywell (whatever they were called historically and/or are named today) had a Boeing 720 (I always thought it was a 707 to be honest) with a fifth engine mount on the side near the nose for as long as I can remember, well back into the 70's. It was semi-recently replaced with a 757.

That dude is certifiably insane; people call me nuts because I make wooden model ships that take months to build.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Locator posted:

That dude is certifiably insane; people call me nuts because I make wooden model ships that take months to build.

No, we call you awesome.

This guy is pretty cool too. Glad it's him not me though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Worthleast posted:

Is it this one?

nope,

Perhaps it is not the F-15 that makes it special...

edit: did I just double post? Hell yeah I did.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jonny Nox posted:

Worth it. That from the Delta 4 launch the other week?

edit: wait, no, it's not - it was cloudy'ish that day.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jonny Nox posted:

nope,

Perhaps it is not the F-15 that makes it special...

Shoot it down or it will blow up washington! </ace combat>

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Only barely AI related but I wanted to share somewhere?

quote:

Reminds me of a story my friend told me a while back. He was a pilot for American Airlines and was flying for their regional affiliate American Eagle. One day while in the cockpit waiting to take off, him and the other pilot could hear an argument happening with the flight attendant and a passenger. Often when a passenger is very upset the flight attendant will ask for the help of a pilot to calm down the upset person.
So my buddy and the other pilot played rock paper scissors and he lost. So he goes out to talk to the upset lady and see what happened.
Story is, the lady was very overweight and the seat belt didn't go all the way around her waist. So she needed a seat belt extender to be able to sit safely. Seat belt extenders get stamped with the airport code of the home airport. The airport for this plane was the Fresno airport.
So when the flight attendant brought this already upset lady a seatbelt extender with the word FAT on it, that's when things really went south and my friend had to get involved.

Today I learned that seatbelt extenders are a thing and have the airport's code on them

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Inacio posted:

Today I learned that seatbelt extenders are a thing and have the airport's code on them

They're also called hog straps, which is apparently not something to be mentioned in front of the prospective user.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That's a really unfortunate airport code in this circumstance, yeah. :negative:

I always thought extenders were carried on the aircraft, since they have to weigh like, 0.02 ounces. They'd just stuff one or two in a compartment somewhere, probably next to the safety information props.

I also just learned the FAA banned bringing your own in 2012.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

MrChips posted:

They're also called hog straps, which is apparently not something to be mentioned in front of the prospective user.

Awwww not "bacon straps"?? I briefly worked for a bungee-jumping company years and years (and years) ago and that's what we always called the cords for the fattest folk who wanted to go. Didn't help that it was also a nice, deep red color. :v:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Inacio posted:

Only barely AI related but I wanted to share somewhere?

"What's the best airport code" is a fun game.

I'm partial to KLIT, the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. Which they renamed as such fully knowing it was coded KLIT. Of course, there's also Sioux Gateway (SUX).

Actually, just as far as names go, I have Wa (DGLW) and Wawa (CYXZ) on my to-visit list, mostly because, well, wouldn't you?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Runner up - Rapid City, South Dakota (KRAP)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"What's the best airport code" is a fun game.

I'm partial to KLIT, the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. Which they renamed as such fully knowing it was coded KLIT. Of course, there's also Sioux Gateway (SUX).

Actually, just as far as names go, I have Wa (DGLW) and Wawa (CYXZ) on my to-visit list, mostly because, well, wouldn't you?

Ciampino Airport near Rome has cute ones for both IATA (CIA) and ICAO (LIRA).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The airport in Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico has the ICAO code of MMMM. I think that's kind of great.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Worth it. That from the Delta 4 launch the other week?

edit: wait, no, it's not - it was cloudy'ish that day.

It's Atlantis. Don't know the mission number.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Psion posted:

That's a really unfortunate airport code in this circumstance, yeah. :negative:

I always thought extenders were carried on the aircraft, since they have to weigh like, 0.02 ounces. They'd just stuff one or two in a compartment somewhere, probably next to the safety information props.

I also just learned the FAA banned bringing your own in 2012.

Must vary by airline, on ours they're part of the aircraft equipment, and when they grow legs and wander off, or get stuffed in the wrong compartment, or otherwise lost, maintenance gets called out to bring out some more.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Several nights a week for work I have to wait for flight 420 to arrive from KLIT. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Inacio posted:

FAT Seatbelt Extenders

On my first day at the FAA's ATC academy in Oklahoma City, we were given paper name plates to put in front of our tables so the instructors could see our names and what facility we were going to. One of the coolest, nicest, and THE largest guy in the class was going to Fresno, CA Tower. His name plate read "Firstname Lastname FAT."

Almost laughed at that before I came to my senses and was much more polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jonny Nox posted:

It's Atlantis. Don't know the mission number.

I love those videos floating around of SS launches shot from passenger planes or whoever was up at altitude at the time. Just to see her going from launch... lifting... liiiiffffting... totally hauling rear end in less than a minute was just :swoon: