Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

beato posted:

Yeah I thought I'd seen one as a coffee pot in my old Hospital set but couldn't find it listed. I know I had that Dragon Castle and my sister had that Paradiso set (which I claimed) those big windows made some awesome submarines when combined with the base of the pirate ship! :D

I tried to find a pic on Google, but it looks like now everyone makes Lego Keurigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I tried to find a pic on Google, but it looks like now everyone makes Lego Keurigs.

You weren't kidding! O_O

I found the instructions though:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

I just made a neat little space cabin combining the recent Creator Mountain hut and the Republic Cruiser. The engine wheels from the Cruiser got re-commissioned as parts for a pair of communication towers/power sources for the laser fence around the cabin.

Things that can rotate communicate power and/or telecoms to me. Dunno why.

Edit:

I can't tell if you know this already but wheels are terrific for spaceship engines, and the little axle mount pieces often work well at the front point of ships. If you put a wheel on the axle, you've got a nice center point for the ship and a cool forward gun/cannon.

To you and others who recommended it: Yeah, I've used wheels for engines before. Small towers and huge pipes are not a bad idea either, though. I'll see if I can incorporate that in to my next build!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Finally got this beast together:

What a fiddly, hard-to-balance mess. It does, however, look hella awesome in person compared to almost every official image I've seen.

Also I changed around the antenna assembly because it was really visually jarring having that long, thin antenna sticking straight up the top. One 1x1 with a clip, one antenna/flagpole, two barrels, and a cone. Much better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I changed my antenna to just a single trans-green round stud. Because yeah, the default antenna makes for a pretty stupid profile.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wheel axles are really handy for joints for smaller robots and stuff. They plug into the 1x1 bricks with the open hole studs on the sides really nicely and usually tightly, and with a little finagling can yield really nice articulation.

An example robot I made using a few of the same set:

Be creative. Think outside the blocks. :)

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Research Institutes supposedly back in stock: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Research-Institute-21110

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the add to cart button to work, even though on Facebook they are insisting it's not sold out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It worked for me, but the site seems kind of slow.

Successfully ordered. We're cool again, lego.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wheel axles are really handy for joints for smaller robots and stuff. They plug into the 1x1 bricks with the open hole studs on the sides really nicely and usually tightly, and with a little finagling can yield really nice articulation.

An example robot I made using a few of the same set:

Be creative. Think outside the blocks. :)

I remember seeing that mech, that's not a bad idea! I think it could make a nice hatch/extendable doohickey built in to the side of something...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, I bought a Research Institute back in August when they first came out, and I guess that was my "one per household" because they cancelled my order today. Bummer since this one was planned as a gift.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's already listed as out of stock so maybe you just missed whatever supply they had.

Flat out canceling the order is kind of crappy though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Technically they said:

quote:

This is a really popular set. We want every LEGO builder to have a fair chance of getting it, so we limit how many of this set can be bought per household.

Since your request exceeded this limit, we’ve cancelled the item(s) from your order.

They didn't actually do that yet, though. As long as they keep the free shipping on the order (which is now less than $75), I don't care that much.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Quick question, are there any lego bricks that can emulate a sliding joint? Like if I wanted to make a lego Transformer, and need to extend something like a leg or arm, how would that be possible, especially on a small scale.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Was just able to put in an order for the Research Institute. Hopefully they don't cancel it or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anora posted:

Quick question, are there any lego bricks that can emulate a sliding joint? Like if I wanted to make a lego Transformer, and need to extend something like a leg or arm, how would that be possible, especially on a small scale.

I think 32028 and 2653 might do what you have in mind? There may be variants on those too.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

They apparently can't keep the Research Institute in stock (or the Exo-Suit), but they had dozens of Ecto-1s and DeLoreans on the shelf at the Bellevue store today.

Didn't have a single thing I was particularly interested in...even the PAB was boring. The 2x2 transblue round bricks were the only bit I would've gone for, but there was nothing else to prompt me to get a cup.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Tenebrais posted:

I think 32028 and 2653 might do what you have in mind? There may be variants on those too.

I thought the same thing, too, but after inspecting it in LDD I'm pretty sure the former would slide laterally out of the latter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

Didn't have a single thing I was particularly interested in...even the PAB was boring. The 2x2 transblue round bricks were the only bit I would've gone for, but there was nothing else to prompt me to get a cup.

Yeah, I did PAB about a week ago and it felt like everything was leftovers from earlier batches from the past year.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My Research Institute that I ordered around lunch time the day they were available shipped today, it had told me the 21st when I ordered it.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Mine too! Super excited though at this point I should probably keep it to resell. (Not a chance)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mine is going to someone who is a paleontologist, I wanted another one for my sister who is a neuroscientist but oh well. At least it'll be in time for Christmas!

My sister already has the female scientist CMF anyhow

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The conclusion to my Research Institute oddness:

quote:

We're sorry if there has been some confusion caused by multiple emails after placing your recent order. You may have received an email stating you exceeded the number of sets you could order even if you only ordered one or that we needed a physical address instead of a PO Box. These emails were sent by mistake.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Well, double points day pushed me to buy my first two modulars today. I grabbed Palace Cinema in-store, but I didn't want to drive to Bellevue to see if the Pet Shop was in-stock, so I've got that ordered from the site.

I'm kinda excited to build my first modular, a bit bummed that I didn't get the Grand Emporium in time, though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Why do Lego release the new modular and the Slave-1 on januari 1st, right after christmas & new year? Doesn't seem to make sense.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

uXs posted:

Why do Lego release the new modular and the Slave-1 on januari 1st, right after christmas & new year? Doesn't seem to make sense.

They have enough sales over Christmas that they don't need more, however to stop January from being dead they release some big, normally AFOL aimed sets then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also what people tend to forget is that a lot of folks get money on Christmas. Having something shiny and new to spend it on is also probably part of their goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

They have enough sales over Christmas that they don't need more, however to stop January from being dead they release some big, normally AFOL aimed sets then.

Such as a double decker couch.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Tenebrais posted:

Sorta, but that doesn't really hold the slide.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Just a heads up, if anyone wants the current Millennium Falcon, it's about to be retired in its current version. Store in Cleveland said as much, and it's listed as "sold out" on the website (and in that particular store). I have exactly zero doubt we'll see a new version with the release of TFA, but if you want the "classic" version with a whole lineup of OT figures, this is probably a good time to get thee to a Toys R Us or something.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Invictus posted:

Also what people tend to forget is that a lot of folks get money on Christmas. Having something shiny and new to spend it on is also probably part of their goal.

Did your av get faster?

It's also probably product cycles. I can't pretend to know what marketing or the higher ups are thinking, but new product releases often seem to be aligned to new quarters.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Wife went to Fred Meyer today and picked up some series 13 minifigures. No Hot Dog man, but I like my sci-fi/fantasy themed minifigures.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Captain Invictus posted:

I expect that post-Xmas is fantastic for most distributors of collectible/hobbyist items. I'm in e-publishing and right now is a loving drag because everyone's buying stuff for others, but after the 25th everything picks up like crazy. For me, that happens because it's this rush of folks who just got a kindle. But my feeling is that like, for Legos for instance, after Xmas we all go buy the stuff that our loved ones wouldn't/couldn't/didn't.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

My son is gonna have one hell of a Christmas. I picked up the lego train. Set 60052. He's been asking for it for over a year, and would specifically ask to go to the store to see the train. I can't wait to see his face.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Captain Magic posted:

I expect that post-Xmas is fantastic for most distributors of collectible/hobbyist items. I'm in e-publishing and right now is a loving drag because everyone's buying stuff for others, but after the 25th everything picks up like crazy. For me, that happens because it's this rush of folks who just got a kindle. But my feeling is that like, for Legos for instance, after Xmas we all go buy the stuff that our loved ones wouldn't/couldn't/didn't.

I'm sure a lot of people don't buy sets for them selves because they aren't sure if that isn't already waiting under the tree.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

shymog posted:

Wife went to Fred Meyer today and picked up some series 13 minifigures. No Hot Dog man, but I like my sci-fi/fantasy themed minifigures.

Whereabouts?

My local Fred Meyer always seems to overbuy boxes of minifigs, so 8 boxes sit for 2 months 60% full after a new series comes out before getting the new series in. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had a box or two of Simpsons minifigs lingering somewhere.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

anotherblownsave posted:

My son is gonna have one hell of a Christmas. I picked up the lego train. Set 60052. He's been asking for it for over a year, and would specifically ask to go to the store to see the train. I can't wait to see his face.

:3: this is great

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

Whereabouts?

My local Fred Meyer always seems to overbuy boxes of minifigs, so 8 boxes sit for 2 months 60% full after a new series comes out before getting the new series in. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had a box or two of Simpsons minifigs lingering somewhere.

It was the Lake City store. She says they had 4-6 boxes so it sounds like you're about right with how they purchase.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

anotherblownsave posted:

LEGO TRAIN PARENT IS BEST PARENT.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

I already got my Christmas bonus and I want the Slave I now!

Ah well. I'm a little surprised they didn't do a vip early release but yeah it's probably a store already has enough business volume issue, or maybe accounting or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Age of Ultron sets, in april