Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Er, I think he just means that he was streaming at too high a bitrate or something. I'm not sure why Twitch can't enforce that sort of thing server-side, and relies on people voluntarily complying, but a cursory Google search shows Twitch's limits on bitrate, keyframe interval, and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Twitch wants you to stream at a max bitrate of 3500. Phil was apparently streaming at around 6000.

Here's the video and segment that covers the part where he's asked to reduce bitrate, and then when he throws a tantrum about it and twists things to sound like he was singled out and threatened. The earlier parts of the video are about where he cancelled a stream last-minute by faking being sick, but really wanted to play a freemium wrestling game on his phone, and then whined about the game on the dev forums all week.

http://youtu.be/_N2cPAe_t-Y?t=55m56s

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 16, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I can't actually imagine anyone needing more than 3500kbps even in 1080p. What's wrong with his brain?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One of the things he mentions is that he can't lower his resolution because and has to stream that high because he's also recording it for youtube. I guess he's unaware that some some programs actually allow you to stream in one resolution while recording locally at a different better one.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

nendymion posted:

One of the things he mentions is that he can't lower his resolution because and has to stream that high because he's also recording it for youtube. I guess he's unaware that some some programs actually allow you to stream in one resolution while recording locally at a different better one.

So here's what I gathered.

DSP streams his stuff at a super high bitrate because he also gets to use the footage on YouTube too, right? To be fair, 6000 kbps can be fine for 1080p depending on the game (I actually find I need it for 720p on bullet hell games) but Twitch tells you to keep it at 3500kpbs because their servers have to eat that bandwidth from your upstream.

Twitch admin comes in and tells Phil to lower it. He complains a lot and decides to move to YouTube streaming. This pisses off some of his Twitch followers. His solution?

Use Twitch's chat room, but actually stream on YouTube. You can imagine Twitch is none too happy about being used as a chat server, so they remove his chat privilege. He complains more and moves entirely to YouTube streaming.

Later, behind the scenes on his mod forum, he posts a thread to his volunteer mods: "You guys aren't doing enough to help me." The mods stage a mass walkout, lock him out (temporarily) and his website is kinda down now.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
DSP is a national treasure.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

slowbeef posted:

So here's what I gathered.

DSP streams his stuff at a super high bitrate because he also gets to use the footage on YouTube too, right? To be fair, 6000 kbps can be fine for 1080p depending on the game (I actually find I need it for 720p on bullet hell games) but Twitch tells you to keep it at 3500kpbs because their servers have to eat that bandwidth from your upstream.

Twitch admin comes in and tells Phil to lower it. He complains a lot and decides to move to YouTube streaming. This pisses off some of his Twitch followers. His solution?

Use Twitch's chat room, but actually stream on YouTube. You can imagine Twitch is none too happy about being used as a chat server, so they remove his chat privilege. He complains more and moves entirely to YouTube streaming.

Later, behind the scenes on his mod forum, he posts a thread to his volunteer mods: "You guys aren't doing enough to help me." The mods stage a mass walkout, lock him out (temporarily) and his website is kinda down now.

Pretty much but from what I gathered, the mod walkout came first.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HMS Boromir posted:

DSP is a national treasure.

He really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
A lot of people are convinced that DSP must be an act, but if it is the dude is really, really devoted.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

Pretty much but from what I gathered, the mod walkout came first.

Ah okay.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

A lot of people are convinced that DSP must be an act, but if it is the dude is really, really devoted.

I went on a Sons of Kojima podcast where a former mod or two were on. If he's acting, he plays his cards so close to his chest that even the mods were not aware.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

slowbeef posted:

I went on a Sons of Kojima podcast where a former mod or two were on. If he's acting, he plays his cards so close to his chest that even the mods were not aware.

Can we get a link, please?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's a method actor - you know, to accurately portray a complete rear end in a top hat, become a complete rear end in a top hat.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Kayfabe Phil.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the forums mods walked out on him because he was pissed that they weren't punishing people for giving constructive criticisms, and they were pissed that he was banning people unfairly. They told him to stop doing that poo poo, he didn't, so they gave up on him and left. A few days later, his administrative controls were removed and he was locked out of his own website. It seems it was by an unauthorized user, and not by one of the other admins.

Also, I believe when Twitch shut down his chat, his girlfriend deleted his account in defiance, but I may have that wrong. He now streams on YouTube and asks his fans to use mIRC.

HenryEx posted:

Can we get a link, please?

http://youtu.be/pbsVlD0cf8M?list=PLvzW2BCyol5n-FpWyhYshyfU2GwBEhE9O

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend an informative LP for Daggerfall? The only ones I've seen on SA haven't been completed, though the last one looked pretty good before it shut down.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Thanks, but geez, that's a poo poo-ton of people on a podcast simultaneously.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Considering how much bullshit it is just to watch 60fps videos on Youtube anyway, couldn't he just do the 30fps, halve the bitrate and go with that?? Sounds like the thing a logical and rational human being would do to solve the problem! Not to mention 60fps is relatively recent and he must have been streaming at this rate for quite a while already...

Also, there are still many people who don't even have more than 5mbps download speed and that would cut them out of his streams if he didn't have quality options in his stream, no?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oh my god DSP is such a piece of trash.

I need to see the video where he thinks Raditz is Vegeta now.

Edit: found it if anyone else wants to see him claim to be a huge DBZ fan and not know the very first goddamn guy they fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRWEug_ygM

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 16, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Cheez posted:

Considering how much bullshit it is just to watch 60fps videos on Youtube anyway, couldn't he just do the 30fps, halve the bitrate and go with that?? Sounds like the thing a logical and rational human being would do to solve the problem! Not to mention 60fps is relatively recent and he must have been streaming at this rate for quite a while already...

Also, there are still many people who don't even have more than 5mbps download speed and that would cut them out of his streams if he didn't have quality options in his stream, no?

Honestly, I don't even think it's the 60FPS thing nor do I have much faith in his ability to even know/care about that.

I think Twitch does auto-downgrade for low bandwidth people (or it's an option you enable) but I'm not sure.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, I don't even think it's the 60FPS thing nor do I have much faith in his ability to even know/care about that.

I think Twitch does auto-downgrade for low bandwidth people (or it's an option you enable) but I'm not sure.

I don't think it does. Quality options seem to be enable if your channel's popular enough at the moment or if you have a pro account or whatever they call it (the channel owner, not the user).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Can anyone recommend an informative LP for Daggerfall? The only ones I've seen on SA haven't been completed, though the last one looked pretty good before it shut down.

I posted about this earlier, but there's John Zoidberg who was rocking a 118-video-long LP of it, but he just stopped, and that sucks, because he was quite entertaining. He was playing it blind, though.

And I have no idea what happened to the guy, since he hasn't had any activity in over a year.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So let's break the DSP train early on here, and ask yourselves, Let's Plays - Do They Suck Horse Penis?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BMS posted:

So let's break the DSP train early on here, and ask yourselves, Let's Plays - Do They Suck Horse Penis?

Fair points, but I really wish he came down on one side of the horse penis issue or the other.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BMS posted:

Let's check out the top comments:

Lovely

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

This guy made a lot of good points

• Wolf intro
  • People should focus on making things good, instead of bad. This applies to other things in life too.
  • Be yourself.
  • The real treasure was knowledge.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Also, if you're bad at LPs, ignore the fact that you still have people who watch and genuinely enjoy your work, just stop making them. You'll never succeed in anything.

I, Lavos-Wolf, have spoken.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

If they couldn't get Chip Cheezum, they shouldn't have bothered.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

slowbeef posted:

Then someone decides you're not worthy of it, sets a clickbot on you, you get kicked out of AdSense and now you're not allowed to make money on Let's Play.

(see: VoidBurger)

Going back a page, but if this is something that's even halfway easy to do and basically locks you out of AdSense forever in practical terms I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen to way more people on a regular basis.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

Going back a page, but if this is something that's even halfway easy to do and basically locks you out of AdSense forever in practical terms I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen to way more people on a regular basis.

I honestly don't doubt that some people will sit and spam click poo poo on people's videos and what not, nor do I doubt that some people will go so far as to set up a "clickbot" either.

But I think for most cases concerning people that aren't super popular and whatnot, it's probably something else that leads to Google spazzing on them. When it happened to me after I enabled AdSense, none of my videos had a massive jump in people viewing it nor was anything out of the norm, etc. etc. So what prompted Google to shut it off is a mystery (mostly because they don't tell you ANYTHING other than what your account has been disabled for, which was "invalid click activity"). They would literally tell me nothing else, not what video(s) it was on, not the IP that did the clicking, nothing. No information was shared with me about what caused them to shut it down on account of the "invalid bullshit". Then when I sent in an appeal, I was responded to within the same day by a generic email, stating that "after careful, personal review, we're denying your appeal. Oh yeah, you can't appeal again, and you're permanently blocked from using AdSense". Long story short, it honestly wouldn't surprise me with as much automated poo poo Google uses, if they have some program that crunches numbers on your videos, and if something weird pops up, they automatically disable the AdSense and force you to go through the appeal process if you're small time.

I'm assuming that's the same thing that happened to VoidBurger, as I think they gave her the same reason. So essentially, if you're a little person on YT, partner up as soon as possible with a group like Fullscreen or something, because just sticking with pure Google AdSense will get you hosed fairly quickly.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The only reason it probably doesn't happen to other people is that Google likes their money too much to deny them.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

Once you get partnered with an MCN, you have someone with an in to Google who will fight on your behalf.

But if you're on your own, well...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What (I presume it's SOMETHING) prevents you from creating a new AdSense account?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

What (I presume it's SOMETHING) prevents you from creating a new AdSense account?

The fact that you're probably going to pair it with the same Youtube channel that got you banned.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
They might also notice if you give them the same information for them to make payments out to, though the channel would probably be a bigger giveaway.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

DoctorWhat posted:

You're expressly prohibited from doing that.

I have no idea how or if they check. I guess it's something where you don't want your channel to get traction just to have it pulled later? Like even if you start a whole new channel, account, etc. maybe they find out down the road?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

You're expressly prohibited from doing that.

I have no idea how or if they check. I guess it's something where you don't want your channel to get traction just to have it pulled later? Like even if you start a whole new channel, account, etc. maybe they find out down the road?

Yeah, you can always start a new channel with a new email address and probably get away with it, but my understanding of the Google policy, is that it's still wrong, and they can pull your poo poo. On the same note, I was talking with somebody with Fullscreen after they had sent me a message about partnering with them (after my AdSense had been disabled), and he said that a possible avenue, would be to start up a new channel, copy all my stuff over to that, and then get in touch with him and they'd partner up and push through the YT Partnership for AdSense. I have no idea how well this would go over with Google, but It's the advice that was given to me by Fullscreen (An outside partner program), so I guess it's a possible solution, as long as you can get partnered up with somebody like that?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, it seems like the only way to get your Adsense account back is to contribute to an article about how easy it is to get your Adsense account banned and how impossible it is to get it back. Only a few minutes after that article ran, the guy got his account silently reinstated by Google. And yeah, the Adsense fuckery has happened to LOADS of people. Conspiracy theories point to Google actually allowing new accounts to barely make the payment minimum, only to axe them before the creator can collect, but I don't know if Google would be that literally shady.

So yeah, if you're a nobody Youtube channel without a partner, you're utterly hosed if this happens. Unless you have acquaintances that can write an article about the debacle to make Google sneakily reinstate your poo poo.

Which is why I'm writing an Polygon article about it with the help of Phil Kollar and Ben Kuchera, woo! But I'm waiting on this one Youtuber who is being a slowbutt and not getting back to me due to finals. So on that note: BMS, do you mind me asking you a few questions that might eventually result in your Adsense getting reinstated, fingers crossed?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VoidBurger posted:

Conspiracy theories point to Google actually allowing new accounts to barely make the payment minimum, only to axe them before the creator can collect, but I don't know if Google would be that literally shady.

This is essentially EXACTLY what happened. Only about a week after I collected the first payment (which was slightly over the minimum), bam, AdSense banned.

VoidBurger posted:

Which is why I'm writing an Polygon article about it with the help of Phil Kollar and Ben Kuchera, woo! But I'm waiting on this one Youtuber who is being a slowbutt and not getting back to me due to finals. So on that note: BMS, do you mind me asking you a few questions that might eventually result in your Adsense getting reinstated, fingers crossed?

Sure, ask away! I'm not too concerned about getting AdSense back regardless, as it took a couple months to actually accumulate enough to even reach the minimum, which basically equated to a cell phone bill paid with some change left over, but yeah, I'll answer whatever questions I can for you.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

BMS posted:

Sure, ask away!
Sent you a PM! Thanks a ton :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

VoidBurger posted:

] Conspiracy theories point to Google actually allowing new accounts to barely make the payment minimum, only to axe them before the creator can collect, but I don't know if Google would be that literally shady.

Google is definitely willing to be that shady. http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2014/01/24/silicon-valley-wage-theft-class-action-lawsuit/

• Locked thread