Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

qntm posted:

I just... I would quite like to see this. I think it would be neat. A story where Flash is at the very top of the hierarchy of all Earth superheroes instead of Superman. I think there could be some good stories in that concept :shobon:

Wasn't that basically the case in the old Justice League Unlimited cartoon? Flash pulling out all the stops allows him to beat an enemy that took down the rest of the founding JL members without breaking a sweat. The show pointed out a few times that the only thing keeping Flash from annihilating anything that crosses his path is that he doesn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Polaron posted:

Wasn't that basically the case in the old Justice League Unlimited cartoon? Flash pulling out all the stops allows him to beat an enemy that took down the rest of the founding JL members without breaking a sweat. The show pointed out a few times that the only thing keeping Flash from annihilating anything that crosses his path is that he doesn't want to.

Sort of, he took out Luthor fused with Brainiac but it took basically everything he had and he was almost consumed by the Speed Force as a result. It took the entire founding League to (literally) pull him back. It was more of a "he could take care of anything he wanted but probably once at great cost" thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If he felt like it, Flash could kill everyone on the planet before you could blink.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That is badass.

Flash: Observe as I violate the laws of physics as only a God of speed can.

Ra's: I shall only show the mildest degree of awe at all this. I am more concerned with having my Cape put on my shoulders.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Sort of, he took out Luthor fused with Brainiac but it took basically everything he had and he was almost consumed by the Speed Force as a result. It took the entire founding League to (literally) pull him back. It was more of a "he could take care of anything he wanted but probably once at great cost" thing.

In fact here is the scene in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OyPYa7SEI

I REALLY need to watch bot JL and JLU someday.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've watched every episode of JLU probably 3 or 4 times but I've still never watched all the way through JL

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

I'm a little surprised that "Kill Spider-man" isn't on there more than once.

Neutralize Clint (Barton?)

I thought it was "Clinton"

"Who's behind the attack?"
"THE FUTURE."
"Your cape, father."
"I HAVE NAMED MY CAPE 'THE FUTURE'!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The dude on Arrow would be a much better Ra's if he did the cool muttonchop/'stache thing comics Ra's has.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

OptimusShr posted:

In fact here is the scene in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OyPYa7SEI

Hey guys I'm in paradise, this is great!

JL: NOPE you signed a contract, bitch! Get over here.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey guys I'm in paradise, this is great!

JL: NOPE you signed a contract, bitch! Get over here.

Except that, unlike Buffy, the Flash didn't spend an entire season angsting about it. :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FredMSloniker posted:

Except that, unlike Buffy, the Flash didn't spend an entire season angsting about it. :v:

I'm not sure that's a point in JLU's favor.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
No one he loved or cared about existed in the Speed Force and he would have ceased to exist as a consciousness, it was just a Lotus Eater dimension. I'd say it's a point in JLU's favor.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Plus it's rather nice to have at least one fictional universe where Wally West got to live happily ever after as a member of the Justice League, rather than being unceremoniously written out of existence in favour of more Barry Allen circlejerking.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Fuego Fish posted:

Plus it's rather nice to have at least one fictional universe where Wally West got to live happily ever after as a member of the Justice League, rather than being unceremoniously written out of existence in favour of more Barry Allen circlejerking.

Or worse, Bart Allen :barf:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

First Bass posted:

Before Geoff Johns made him Teen Wally Redux I actually really really liked Bart Allen :smith:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OptimusShr posted:

JL is pretty good, but JLU is really great. Particularly because they have no problems dumping the big names from JL and running with episodes that either star B, C, and D listers or just have one big name with a handful of other members to back them up. So you get episodes about Booster Gold trying to be taken seriously, and Shining Knight / Vigilante teamups.

Flash related, there is a JLU episode where Luthor and Flash switch brains (because comics) and Luthor spends the whole episode wrecking people on the Watchtower because Flash is actually really powerful and Luthor isn't nearly as considerate about using things like his ability to phase through (and thereby explode) matter.

Honestly that episode has some of the best scenes.

First Bass posted:

Goddamn it Teen Justice :argh:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ashcans posted:

JL is pretty good, but JLU is really great. Particularly because they have no problems dumping the big names from JL and running with episodes that either star B, C, and D listers or just have one big name with a handful of other members to back them up. So you get episodes about Booster Gold trying to be taken seriously, and Shining Knight / Vigilante teamups.

Flash related, there is a JLU episode where Luthor and Flash switch brains (because comics) and Luthor spends the whole episode wrecking people on the Watchtower because Flash is actually really powerful and Luthor isn't nearly as considerate about using things like his ability to phase through (and thereby explode) matter.

Honestly that episode has some of the best scenes.

Goddamn it Teen Justice :argh:

It really does, if only because he does the smart thing and goes to pull off his mask in a mirror to see Flash's secret identity, only to realize he has NO idea who the hell Wally is :v:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Glagha posted:

It really does, if only because he does the smart thing and goes to pull off his mask in a mirror to see Flash's secret identity, only to realize he has NO idea who the hell Wally is :v:
Wally's voice actor also does a great job of mimicking the speech patterns Clancy Brown uses for Luthor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zero_Tactility posted:

Wally's voice actor also does a great job of mimicking the speech patterns Clancy Brown uses for Luthor.

He did have experience playing Lex!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Glagha posted:

The switch is so great, not only for Luthor being a total dick with Flash's powers, but with Flash trying his best to pass for Luthor and fool the league of bad guys while having no idea what is going on and not being remotely as cunning as Lex is. Also, Flash has an adorable concept of evil.

I think that exchange is tied with Lex (as Flash) bypassing Green Lantern's shield with yellow jello.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love the bit where Luthor-as-Flash ends up in the Watchtower's bathroom, and he says, "Well, if nothing else, I can discover the Flash's secret identity." <unmasks> "... I have no idea who this is." Flash-as-Luthor referring to himself in the third-person is great as well.

Seriously, that whole last season of JLU is a big Super Friends riff and it's brilliant.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah that episode has some real stakes to it, because you come to realize that if Luthor-as-Flash gets off the Watchtower and gets to his tech? He's going to conquer the loving world, and he's going to do it in like a day.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman and Robin #37

Batman and friends have been fighting through Apokolips to retrieve the body of Damian Wayne.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
On one hand, that is kind of neat. On the other, 'Batman chumps gods like it ain't no thing' in a vacuum is very annoying. Oh look, he made Darkseid his bitch! Ain't it awesome? It'd be a lot more awesome if every writer didn't try and pull the Bat-God trick.

At least Morrison was somewhat unique in his takes on it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure Batman chumping Darkseid in everything from the comics to the DCAU and animated films is one of the few interesting things about Darkseid.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

First Bass posted:

I'm pretty sure Batman chumping Darkseid in everything from the comics to the DCAU and animated films is one of the few interesting things about Darkseid.

But he doesn't chump Darkseid all the time or in the DCAU? Like his big showdown with Darkseid at the end of JLU and Batman's high point was that he could just barely dodge the Omega Sanction, something impossible. Not that he could easily beat him with an Iron Man suit. And Final Crisis had Batman "die" while just managing to wound him.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Well he does do it in a kind of Ironman kind of way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Plus, in this case at least, it's kind of justified, because Batman's suit ain't just your everyday WayneTech knockoff Iron Man suit.

Batman and Robin 33

(I have no idea what Flash and Aquaman are supposed to be contributing, but a suit forged in the heart of the sun, the Green Lantern Central Power Battery, and supervised by Hephaestus (in the background of the Wonder Woman panel) has got to be pretty powerful)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Waterhaul posted:

But he doesn't chump Darkseid all the time or in the DCAU? Like his big showdown with Darkseid at the end of JLU and Batman's high point was that he could just barely dodge the Omega Sanction, something impossible. Not that he could easily beat him with an Iron Man suit. And Final Crisis had Batman "die" while just managing to wound him.

Chump was probably the wrong word. In spite of being the only powerless mortal in a league of superpowered humans, aliens, and even gods, he will go toe to toe with one of the strongest beings in existence (JLU), which is a feat in itself, wound him (Final Crisis, Batman and Robin), and at times even triumph through outwitting him (Batman/Superman: The Supergirl from Krypton, Justice League: War).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

(I have no idea what Flash and Aquaman are supposed to be contributing, but a suit forged in the heart of the sun, the Green Lantern Central Power Battery, and supervised by Hephaestus (in the background of the Wonder Woman panel) has got to be pretty powerful)

Aquaman is probably doing some Atlantean magic or something. The Flash looks to be putting the armor into the speedforce which is of course a place where whatever bullshit you need to have happen happens.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Darkseid is. The Narrator.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

Plus, in this case at least, it's kind of justified, because Batman's suit ain't just your everyday WayneTech knockoff Iron Man suit.

Batman and Robin 33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJw01setW0

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I feel its more like this.
http://youtu.be/4XsTt3UYYOA

What is best in life? :black101:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jiro posted:

Superman looks like he's giving it the full Tony Stark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbnT-cIDVM

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

First Bass posted:

Chump was probably the wrong word. In spite of being the only powerless mortal in a league of superpowered humans, aliens, and even gods, he will go toe to toe with one of the strongest beings in existence (JLU), which is a feat in itself, wound him (Final Crisis, Batman and Robin), and at times even triumph through outwitting him (Batman/Superman: The Supergirl from Krypton, Justice League: War).

I am going to assume that Flash is responsible for carrying the armor back and forth between all these places in a reasonable length of time, and that Aquaman is responsible for quenching the amor after the whole sun-forging thing because they felt pretty awkward about him not having a role in this big symbolic act. (I actually like Aquaman, but I'm not really sure where 'armorer' falls in his skillset)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Something to do with deep ocean pressure blah blah.

The upshot is he planned the gently caress out of this. Has Final Crisis happened in new 52? Because this is a pretty creative use of the death that is life but I'm not sure if Batman is supposed to know how it works.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's obviously using that hydrothermal vent to steam clean it and give it that proper new-armour smell.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Nevvy Z posted:

Something to do with deep ocean pressure blah blah.

The upshot is he planned the gently caress out of this. Has Final Crisis happened in new 52? Because this is a pretty creative use of the death that is life but I'm not sure if Batman is supposed to know how it works.

Yes, Batman's past is effectively the same post nu52.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Final Crisis couldn't have happened, but it also has to have and I don't know if that makes perfect sense or I have a brain tumour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jiro posted:

It'd be better if it was more like this :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiT8U-tqd4