Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

stuxracer posted:

My company finally got around to blocking SA from being accessed from our network when I was on vacation for Turkey day. You unfun meanies :(

Of course social media sites are totally cool though.

Mine (who never blocked anything before) seem to have somehow blocked i. and forumimages. but not the actual forum.

Since they were just using openDNS the problem was solved by a quick change to Google DNS. The joys of local admin I guess.

Actually I really should start posting about what's going on here, but perhaps not AT work ;)

Dudley fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

loving Cisco licensing. Sourcefire officially moved their licensing to Cisco, which is an enormous pain in the rear end as they don't use the same format. Every time I want to license a device now, I have to open a support ticket with Cisco and then wait for a representative to contact me.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
It is annoying when you get put on a project to design a system and then support staff want to ignore anything about it as if you should be the one who supports it after implementation.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Demonachizer posted:

It is annoying when you get put on a project to design a system and then support staff want to ignore anything about it as if you should be the one who supports it after implementation.

Protip: act as if they are going to be supporting it (they are) and give them all the opportunity in the world to offer suggestions into your design. Buy-in is the number one make-or-break issue for the success of a project.

Ask the support people over and over again how they'd design it if they were in charge. Even take their advice sometimes. Then when you turn it over to them, you aren't just throwing it over the fence to them, but delivering their own solution to them on a silver platter through the front door.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agrikk posted:

Protip: act as if they are going to be supporting it (they are) and give them all the opportunity in the world to offer suggestions into your design. Buy-in is the number one make-or-break issue for the success of a project.

Ask the support people over and over again how they'd design it if they were in charge. Even take their advice sometimes. Then when you turn it over to them, you aren't just throwing it over the fence to them, but delivering their own solution to them on a silver platter through the front door.

This. This a million times. You don't need to let them design it, but they need to understand it when you design it differently than they would have done.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: Bitlocker. It's such a piece of poo poo that our IT department has acknowledged this and given us a self-service recovery page so we can unlock our laptops when it has to repair. In other words, every time I get a Windows update, I have to run through the recovery process.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Demonachizer posted:

Is there an official roll out? Is there criteria for hand off to support? Is there acceptance testing and sign off by the customer? The times when I have seen support act like that (and acted that way myself) has been when they get day 1 issues related to design or implementation dumped on them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have projects right now where there is no direction on issues because the project is completely hosed. The reason is that loving up projects that big and expensive would have serious negative repercussions for the people who were supposed to run them. So instead of admitting that they're hosed, they pretend there are only isolated edge cases, rather than systemic problems.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

guppy posted:

We have projects right now where there is no direction on issues because the project is completely hosed. The reason is that loving up projects that big and expensive would have serious negative repercussions for the people who were supposed to run them. So instead of admitting that they're hosed, they pretend there are only isolated edge cases, rather than systemic problems.
Or the even larger systemic problems that keep people from admitting they're hosed, hooray!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't eat without feeling like I'm going to throw up, even though it hasn't happened yet. Nose stuffy, head cloudy, sinuses draining, dizzy when I stand. Sent an email this morning, I am off today, and probably tomorrow.

Still getting a ton of emails about what is the status of this, what's up with this? I... don't know. Guess I'll find out Wednesday?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Bitlocker. It's such a piece of poo poo that our IT department has acknowledged this and given us a self-service recovery page so we can unlock our laptops when it has to repair. In other words, every time I get a Windows update, I have to run through the recovery process.

Weird. How are your devices set to unlock at boot? We have 40+ devices using Bitlocker (they're all just automatic unlock using TPM) and I can only think of one device that's ever had a problem, which was caused by it shutting off during a Windows update install.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't eat without feeling like I'm going to throw up, even though it hasn't happened yet. Nose stuffy, head butty, sinuses draining, dizzy when I stand. Sent an email this morning, I am off today, and probably tomorrow.

Still getting a ton of emails about what is the status of this, what's up with this? I... don't know. Guess I'll find out Wednesday?

I... Don't know why you're still checking your emails?

You've sent in notice, you can rest.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I unfortunately cannot do the I.T. Director job the old HR VP wanted me for. It was in the Valley though so I dodged a traffic bullet.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

augh so much sales I'm taking overflow calls 30 calls in the last 2 hours

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Microsoft audits are so much fun. Its nice to know that anything that comes up from this audit is 100% on my boss as he (by his own choice) tried to run it all himself before I was hired. I have tried many times before this to get licensing under control but our licensing is split between 10 different accounts and I was getting push back in trying to investigate it. My boss did say the magic word that made me assume our company is about to owe a metric poo poo ton of money. In broken english he said "MSDN" in a reply to something I said.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Weird. How are your devices set to unlock at boot? We have 40+ devices using Bitlocker (they're all just automatic unlock using TPM) and I can only think of one device that's ever had a problem, which was caused by it shutting off during a Windows update install.
I'm guessing it had to do with the windows updates from earlier this month that broke certificates.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Are larger companies any better about ownership? In the last two weeks, both antistatic mats I use (at two separate offices) have gone missing. I found them today, in our hardware lab. Apparently it's easier to just steal mine then order new ones.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sickening posted:

Microsoft audits are so much fun. Its nice to know that anything that comes up from this audit is 100% on my boss as he (by his own choice) tried to run it all himself before I was hired. I have tried many times before this to get licensing under control but our licensing is split between 10 different accounts and I was getting push back in trying to investigate it. My boss did say the magic word that made me assume our company is about to owe a metric poo poo ton of money. In broken english he said "MSDN" in a reply to something I said.

I am a ghost from the past who is not employed on planet earth, but when I paid for my Microsoft licensing this year (Desktop OS + Office license based on FTE count, Server 2012 R2 licenses based on processors) they extended some old subscription that I have never seen a bill for from a company that might not exist. It's a volume license for every single Microsoft product including 150x 2012 R2 Datacenter licenses, Sharepoint, the absolute works. I have no idea what's going to happen if they notice it, but I'm hoping it's not a retroactive bill. I tried my best to pay them :shrug:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Wow, it's like some people don't understand the basic "if someone isn't paying me, then I'm not going to do anything for them" concept.

My "Not my job" contracting rates are $500 hr 8 hour min, with the stipulation that it works around my current jobs hours. Needless to say I've never had to help a place I used to work at. If they wanted my expert advice they should have ponied up more cash when I quit, or in one case not layed me off.

Note, I don't exactly expect anyone to ever pay that contracting rate, it's just my polite way of saying "gently caress off."

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
poo poo that is absolutely not pissing me off: the avalanche of contact and play I've been getting on my job search I've started just... yesterday. I've gone on 3 calls of which I've gotten 2 follow ups scheduled for the immediate future or tomorrow with agencies that seem to be tripping over me for a more seniorish role. Everything is awesome and my coworkers think I'm suspiciously happy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

the spyder posted:

Apparently it's easier to just steal mine then order new ones.

Sounds about right.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

My "Not my job" contracting rates are $500 hr 8 hour min, with the stipulation that it works around my current jobs hours. Needless to say I've never had to help a place I used to work at. If they wanted my expert advice they should have ponied up more cash when I quit, or in one case not layed me off.

Note, I don't exactly expect anyone to ever pay that contracting rate, it's just my polite way of saying "gently caress off."

Never say "no." Just make the price of "yes" high enough that it's worth your while.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Actually, I had a boss that billed his previous company something like $200/hr for consulting work. And they paid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

psydude posted:

Actually, I had a boss that billed his previous company something like $200/hr for consulting work. And they paid.

Depending on what he was doing, that not only easily fits within a budget, but is probably a reasonable rate compared to competitors.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

poo poo pissing me off?

I just spent £160 on clothes, and now the USB port on my phone is dead.

I can solder, but not something that bloody small, so now I have to find a repair shop in the run up to xmas.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
The server team is fighting me on specific switch ports for this rollout. Not the number of ports they get, but specific ports. 1 and 2, no less. It's layer loving 2, I'm handling the cut sheets, who the gently caress cares?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lum posted:

poo poo pissing me off?

I can solder, but not something that bloody small, so now I have to find a repair shop in the run up to xmas.

At least you'll be well-dressed when you go looking!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

At least you'll be well-dressed when you go looking!

Nah, they're coming from Australia, where it's currently summer, so I can't even wear them for six months. (Yes, Black Milk got more of my money.)

It's fine though, I get paid early for xmas (this friday) and I doubt the phone will be fixed by then.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lum posted:

Do repair shops hibernate or migrate south in the winter or something? :v:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Lum posted:

poo poo pissing me off?

I know how special your exact model of phone is to you, but isn't that model so old now that they should be cheap to get off eBay?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I know how special your exact model of phone is to you, but isn't that model so old now that they should be cheap to get off eBay?

I was thinking "I probably have a Note II or something around that should holder her over if it's a problem.. oh wait, hardware keyboard.".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Crowley posted:

I was thinking "I probably have a Note II or something around that should holder her over if it's a problem.. oh wait, hardware keyboard.".

Your tablet will sell a bunch of illegal guns to her? :confused:

(more like :downsgun: really)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Lum posted:

Nah, they're coming from Australia, where it's currently summer, so I can't even wear them for six months. (Yes, Black Milk got more of my money.)

It's fine though, I get paid early for xmas (this friday) and I doubt the phone will be fixed by then.

Best dressed goon (pun partially intended).

I'd forgotten about early Christmas payday, I always consider it more of a liability than anything and try to pretend I haven't had the money yet.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

I do have about 8-10 HTC Desire Z lying around here with nothing but slight cosmetic wear. Best quality phone HTC ever made when it came to the electronics.

E: Today was early christmas payday, with only half tax payment, so I smiled when I checked my account and saw 32,768 kr. Then my smile went away after I fueled up the car on the way to work and paid off all the christmas stuff I put on my credit card.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 16, 2014

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

the spyder posted:

Are larger companies any better about ownership? In the last two weeks, both antistatic mats I use (at two separate offices) have gone missing. I found them today, in our hardware lab. Apparently it's easier to just steal mine then order new ones.

gently caress no. I had a proper meltdown (possibly a warning sign) when someone had swiped my scissors, tape, and writing pen for the umpteenth time. After stomping off out of the office to go get some coffee I returned to find not only the missing stuff, but another two rolls of tape that I suspect had been "borrowed" previously.

After that, people started asking if they could take my stuff.

It wasn't as if there was much of an issue getting replacements. Just had to walk a few meters and ask for replacements from purchasing, who held all the office stationary. It was just easier for everyone else to make me do it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm out of my job on Friday. Do we have a replacement lined up? Nope. Have we even finished the interview process for any applicant? Nope.

It's been two months of notice period, guys. I realise that the language I work in is pretty fuckin' rare, but you can get someone to learn it in the space of a week, and it surely can't be that hard to find someone who knows reasonably well how businesses work and what's involved in programming CRM stuff or - god forbid - how to bash out some printer code. I've done what I can to prepare handoffs and guides for the people I'm leaving behind - obscure bits of the system only I know about - but they're already overworked and we obviously aren't going to find the time.

At least I don't have to sit in any meetings this week, I guess.

Weatherman posted:

Do repair shops hibernate or migrate south in the winter or something? :v:

We're not good at winter here. I'd be pissed at entire train lines closing for Christmas and the New Year except, well, see above.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

LordVorbis posted:

gently caress no. I had a proper meltdown (possibly a warning sign)

Definitely a warning sign. I had something similar happen to me (meaning, I reacted in a very uncharacteristic way to something quite minor), and it was such a shock that I put in my notice at the start of the next week. I had been wanting to quit for a while before that, but the way I snapped really woke me up to the fact that that job was doing damage to my state of mind.

I hate the office as an anthropological ecosystem. High school was not the worst time of my life, but I sure was glad when it ended. Imagine my surprise when the first corporate job I had out of college was just high school again, complete with school bully (That was my boss. He bragged about being a high school bully. Bragged! To the people in the office! It was his default management mode).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah that's the first thing I learned at my first job out of college: all of sociopaths and dumbasses from highschool had to get jobs somewhere. Adults are just teenagers who have more sex and bigger bills to pay.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My coworker has confused me for 1Password, and expects me to keep his login information straight for him.

BRB, having a giant key tattooed on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

Today was early christmas payday, with only half tax payment, so I smiled when I checked my account and saw 32,768 kr. Then my smile went away after I fueled up the car on the way to work and paid off all the christmas stuff I put on my credit card.

That's in NOK, right? :ohdear:
Otherwise I'll have to bash some heads and demand a raise.