Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Is there a way of upgrading my already jailbroken 8 install to 8.1.1 without upgrading, then rejailbreaking then installing everything over again? What's the best way to do this that won't require an afternoon of adjusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

About to JB my 6 for the first time in a few years and I was wondering if I can turn back on and use Touch ID and Find My IPhone after jailbreaking?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

SeANMcBAY posted:

About to JB my 6 for the first time in a few years and I was wondering if I can turn back on and use Touch ID and Find My IPhone after jailbreaking?
Yup! In fact, I don't ever remember turning those off for the jailbreak process...

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

nerdrum posted:

Is there a way of upgrading my already jailbroken 8 install to 8.1.1 without upgrading, then rejailbreaking then installing everything over again? What's the best way to do this that won't require an afternoon of adjusting.

In order to use 8.1.1 you will have to redo everything over again. Also, 8.1.2 dropped today so I'm not sure how long 8.1.1 will be signed.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

SeANMcBAY posted:

What are the main advantages for jailbreaking with this generation? What are the coolest Cydia apps that I can't get on the App Store? I don't have a huge interest in visually customizing the phone, and the swipe-up settings center takes care of most one-touch settings for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Explore and find out for yourself. The only thing that question does is make people post their personal setups that nobody's paying attention to any ways. No information comes out of those posts, just a random collection of names.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hey guys what Windows XP custom theme winamp skin do you use?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't know why people feel like they need to be convinced to jailbreak. But just read through the last 5 pages most of it is talk about must have apps. The big one for most is f.lux. Bitesms as well but it isn't updated yet.

Also for me the ones I list below and facebooknoneedmessenger and swipeselection and noslowanimations

Christoff posted:

Ok I highly recommend checking out tage If you liked zephyr or Auxo 2. There's a 3 day trial but it's like $2 otherwise. Not sure how it'll work with the new Auxo (whenever it comes) looks like it's one or the other

Virtual home is also pretty great. Anyone with a 5s or up should check it out.

Showcase is also another really simple but great tweak (Shows keyboard letters as lowercase when applicable)

And of course flip control center if you haven't used that before

Mobius also works and is free. It's like wraparound. http://repo.tylercasson.com/

Also apparently a bitesms update is coming

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/10/bitesms-ios-8-update.html

Christoff posted:

Tage (like zephyr for multitasking)
Möbius (go left on first app page to go to the last and vice versa)
Bloard (dark keyboard)
Cylinder (like barrel)
Betterfiveicondock
Detailedbatteryusage (doesn't show anything abnormal)
Virtual home
Flipcontrolcenter (add or remove toggles from the swipe up thing)
Zeppelin (change carrier logo)
Noslowanimations
Showcase (show lower case on keyboard when applicable)
Swipeselection (move keyboard cursor left or right by swiping on the keyboard. Highly recommend)
F.lux
Springtomize 3 (haven't enabled anything yet)

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Taig jailbreak for 8.1.2 is out

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there any way to change how mp3 files are opened on the iPhone? I'd love to make Ecoute my default music player.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

There was something called DefaultPlayer in the bigboss repo but all the articles and posts about it I can find are about ios 7. It might work for 8, might be worth a shot. I can't go look for myself right now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it's only there for ios7. Thanks though, man, appreciate it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to disable all notifications when running certain apps?

It's annoying to try and play a game or watch a movie at the same time as your friends decide to start sending a billion messages for whatever reason.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to disable all notifications when running certain apps?

It's annoying to try and play a game or watch a movie at the same time as your friends decide to start sending a billion messages for whatever reason.

I'm not aware of anything that addresses this specifically but maybe just toggle a flipswitch for Do Not Disturb while you're in that certain app/game?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There is some kind of feature for this, as I don't get notification banners when in the camera app, but I don't know of a tweak to do specifically that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spongeworthy posted:

I'm not aware of anything that addresses this specifically but maybe just toggle a flipswitch for Do Not Disturb while you're in that certain app/game?

DND only works while the phone is locked. If you're actually using it notifications behave as normal.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

DND only works while the phone is locked. If you're actually using it notifications behave as normal.

You can set it to 'Always' or 'Only while iPhone is locked'

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spongeworthy posted:

You can set it to 'Always' or 'Only while iPhone is locked'

:facepalm:

Thanks!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

Taig jailbreak for 8.1.2 is out

lol hope these constant jailbreaks shut up the "they won't be able to jb the next iOS! :ohdear:" crowd

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Christoff posted:

lol hope these constant jailbreaks shut up the "they won't be able to jb the next iOS! :ohdear:" crowd

Thank god for Chinese jailbreak app developers.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Is there any way my gf can update her phone to 8.1 or is she stuck with 8.1.1 or 8.1.2 if she wants to update?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

Is there any way my gf can update her phone to 8.1 or is she stuck with 8.1.1 or 8.1.2 if she wants to update?

8.1.1 for now is possible, but you may as well go to 8.1.2 as it is exploitable as well.

8.1 is history

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just fyi for the spergs that feel the need to update to every .1.whatever iOS this one only fixes some ringtone poo poo. But yeah if you're just now upgrading might as well

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Is there a way to prevent background apps from closing in ios 8? The tweak I used doesn't seem to work on it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

cisneros posted:

Is there a way to prevent background apps from closing in ios 8? The tweak I used doesn't seem to work on it.

Which apps are closing? Due to low memory or?

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
I know for a fact that Argus likes to stop working always while I'm in the middle of a workout, which fucks up my daily step count.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Since the OP is out-of-date...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396&pagenumber=265&perpage=40#post438753943

^ This is a good app list, let me know if there's anything not listed in that post I should check out.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 12, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Oh hey 8.1.2 is jailbreakable? I was expecting it to plug whatever exploit was in 8.1/8.1.1 . I guess I should update/jailbreak/restore before 8.1.3 comes out.:argh:

I do this just for f.lux and TetherMe. Nothing else.:suicide:

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah it is, no kernel changes between 8.1.1 and 8.1.2 I've heard. Taig have already posted the tool for it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Taig also said they have a jailbreak ready for 8.2. It's in the tool, but disabled.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Power Tap seems to be broken on 8.1.2, oopsie just learned how to check Cydia info online.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 12, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eric posted:

Thank god for Chinese jailbreak app developers.

Thank god there's money in the JB scene now so there's an impetus for these teams of devs to treat JB like a job and not a hobby. :v:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Noslowanimations is updated with an experimental feature, that being freeze the gently caress out of my and some other people's phones.

So if anyone runs into that you gotta go into safe mode, uninstall noslowanimations, delete its plist file thing and reinstall.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Delete plist file thing?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah, what I did was go into icleaner pro, then advanced, preference files and found the plist for noslowanimations. Then I deleted it. I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I can't remember where exactly that plist file is, but I'm sure you could just go into ifile or something, find it and delete it.

Otherwise, if you reinstall noslowanimations it's just going to be broken again. That resets all the settings for noslowanimations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Noslowanimations released an update earlier tonight that removed the experimental thing, so everything should be good again.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What's the best tweak compatible with 8.1.2 for giving me a quick menu to respring or reboot my phone? Preferably something that will enhance the normal "slide to power down" screen.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 16, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ah there was something called Power Slider or Slide to Power or something along those lines that could do that.

I have no patience for Apple's cute animations so I use Activator to turn a long sleep button hold into a menu popup with shutdown options.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Parker Lewis posted:

What's the best tweak compatible with 8.1.2 for giving me a quick menu to respring or reboot my phone? Preferably something that will enhance the normal "slide to power down" screen.

Power Tap is nice and clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
FYI Power Tap incorrectly says on Cydia it is iOS 7.x only, it appears to work perfectly on 8.x

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread