Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
orlando passed "livery" regulations for Uber/Lyft requiring permitting, insurance, background checks and mandatory minimum/maximum per mile rate set the same as taxis

http://m.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2014/12/orlandoapproves-regulations-for-uber-lyft.html?r=full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm tired of lyft calling their taxis a ride share when they actually own a real ride share service

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:staredog:

welp

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

disrupting the yo economy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
introducing a new variable into the yocosystem

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

introducing a new variable into the yolosystem

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

wasnt yo being used to talk about hamas rockets hitting Israel or something\?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

wasnt yo being used to talk about hamas rockets hitting Israel or something\?

yes, it was tied to the rocket attack warning system they have

now they can pretend the poorly crafted fireworks coming over the wall are being sent by merry old st. nick

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i don't think that was an actual early-warning thing

more of a israel lobby "get notified every time the savages mercilessly attack our people" thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well yeah, i don't know how useful an early warning would be against a rocket with a flight time of a few seconds.

seriously, most of them are like poorly scaled estes rockets, and roughly as effective

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they shoot them in volleys i thought

that would be useful to know about as it started happening

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they shoot them in volleys i thought

that would be useful to know about as it started happening

sure, but it's not like the rockets go anywhere in particular. they're about as unguided as it gets. so it's useful to know not to go outside for a bit if you're in the general area, but that's about it.

you'll note that isn't an "early warning" system though

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the earthquake early warning system in california just got a huge chunk of money which is pretty rad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

good thing i don't live in the bay area

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hell yeah liquefy the bay area

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shaggar posted:

hell yeah liquefy the bay area

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

disrupting the solid ground paradigm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like the most susceptible areas are the mission district and the Oracle complex in redwood city

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reimagining the soil strength market fundamentals

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Looks like the most susceptible areas are the mission district and the Oracle complex in redwood city

cant wait for foster city to reenter the bay

p much all the south bay office buildings are concentrated in that orange/red area except apple

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG posted:

cant wait for foster city to reenter the bay

nah i asked one of the greybeards here about that

foster city is built on engineered infill specifically designed to resist liquefaction

he showed me some of the sheets for it since we have them in-house

i mean there's a reason why the longest bridge in the bay area has a terminal end there

what they're concerned about right now is sea level rise within the next 15 years, pending the upcoming FEMA report

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Larry no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't worry, even the earth itself wouldn't swallow larry ellison

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he's still got that boat parked out front on campus, i'm sure he'll be fine in the event of soil porosity getting all screwy around his manmade lake

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Larry's about to find out what happens when you found an Oracle near the Alto

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

foster city is built on engineered infill specifically designed to resist liquefaction

how do you do that? resist liquefaction?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

how do you do that? resist liquefaction?

angular aggregate subgrade, sunk piles

the stuff that's really bad at withstanding it is typically infill made from literal buried garbage, like what parts of SF sit on

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

Liquefaction
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of becoming liquid.
:mrgw:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

Larry's about to find out what happens when you found an Oracle near the Alto

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
oh no one of our offices is near oracles D: i'll hvae to ride the boat to safety

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think pretty much anything built after the '70s could stand up to a 6.7 or 7, the 1989 quake got rid of most of the ones that couldn't

something over 8 could still mess things up pretty bad though [glad my building is reinforced concrete built on bedrock]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey whatever you gotta tell yourself to get some sleep at night, right?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

if you live on a fault line it's your own fault

now excuse me as i live in tornado country

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

hey whatever you gotta tell yourself to get some sleep at night, right?

an earthquake could scare away some of the shitheads and I might have a chance at buying a place

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

an earthquake could scare away some of the shitheads and I might have a chance at buying a place

hahah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

keyboard vomit posted:

if you live on a fault line it's your own fault

now excuse me as i live in tornado country

northeast supremacy ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If there's ever a massive bay-destroying earthquake the subsequent rush to rebuild even bigger/densely packed dwellings will make your head spin

also to drive out all of the remaining poors that might have still been able to make property taxes on houses that have been in their family for years

• Locked thread