Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roach Warehouse posted:

But just before that happens, someone shows up in a futile attempt to kill it with their fire-arm. Because he's a wizard.

Yes, a wizard with comically tiny arms that are continually aflame. Small arms fire, only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Yes, a wizard with comically tiny arms that are continually aflame. Small arms fire, only.

Our D&D 4e campaign has a pixie desert wind monk, and we've made it to level 12 without this joke occurring to anyone. Next session is tomorrow. My conscience is clear.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Once you say it, it becomes canon.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Once you say it, it becomes canon.

Sadly, the 4e campaign is ending in the new year, so it will be short-lived canon. We had a fight (one fight) capping off Heroic tier that lasted two whole game sessions. It was a painful slog. Combined with revolving-door attendance and occasionally high attendance (7 players), 4e is just not turning out to be the right system for this group. We're switching to 5e because our DM is really only comfortable improvising with D&D, and 5e is both the best third edition and the third best edition of D&D.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bad Munki posted:

Also, take a page from the Princess Bride and its ROUSes and name your bulletbeast something like Great Unkillable Nastiness or something, but of course people just prefer to say GUN.

What I'm saying is, make it guns, guns all the way down.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

homullus posted:

Sadly, the 4e campaign is ending in the new year, so it will be short-lived canon. We had a fight (one fight) capping off Heroic tier that lasted two whole game sessions. It was a painful slog. Combined with revolving-door attendance and occasionally high attendance (7 players), 4e is just not turning out to be the right system for this group. We're switching to 5e because our DM is really only comfortable improvising with D&D, and 5e is both the best third edition and the third best edition of D&D.
Unless you've already bought the 5e books I'd recommend switching to 13th Age instead
  • it's friendlier for improv
  • more progressive and easier to run than 5e
  • rules are lighter and combat is faster than 4e.
You can even use the 4e android app to track combat since 13a shares the same stats.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 12, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jackard posted:

Unless you've already bought the 5e books I'd recommend switching to 13th Age instead
  • it's friendlier for improv
  • more progressive and easier to run than 5e
  • rules are lighter and combat is faster than 4e.

I threw out a variety of suggestions, and I think 13th Age was among them (I do own both 5e and 13th Age). My reasoning was that he could still use published adventures from D&D for the overall adventure, and then improvise based on that. He started playing D&D with 3.0, though, and played it to death, so 5e feels easiest to him (though he still likes 4e more as a game per se).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

homullus posted:

I threw out a variety of suggestions, and I think 13th Age was among them (I do own both 5e and 13th Age). My reasoning was that he could still use published adventures from D&D for the overall adventure, and then improvise based on that. He started playing D&D with 3.0, though, and played it to death, so 5e feels easiest to him (though he still likes 4e more as a game per se).
If he's not already familiar with 13th Age you should encourage him to read up - sell it as "a combo of 3e and 4e" and save him the headaches of "DMing 5e" let alone "DMing 5e for 7 people" which sounds like a nightmare

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 12, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Everything good about 5e can be easily transplanted into 13th Age.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Everything good about 5e can be easily transplanted into 13th Age.

Sadly, he's already purchased all the 5e books. I'll try one more time though.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
As a fully fledged Kool-Aid drinker in the cult of Dungeon World, I would be seriously amiss if I did not point out to you how Dungeon World takes all the fun that happened by accident in all the most awesome sessions of D&D you had, and then builds a set of rules that make it statistically likely that that fun will happen every session.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Whybird posted:

As a fully fledged Kool-Aid drinker in the cult of Dungeon World, I would be seriously amiss if I did not point out to you how Dungeon World takes all the fun that happened by accident in all the most awesome sessions of D&D you had, and then builds a set of rules that make it statistically likely that that fun will happen every session.

I agree with this, but it's not like you couldn't move some of the DW ideas back into your D&D game, especially if everyone's already on board with "houseruled D&D" but not with learning a new system (which isn't much of a problem with DW, but you know).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

homullus posted:

Sadly, he's already purchased all the 5e books. I'll try one more time though.
All of them? :stare:

Condolences for your loss.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 13, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The campaign I just started is high fantasy and post-firearms. Gunpowder exists and has it's uses but guns are seen as loud, noisy and archaic. You could definitely build or find a gun, but it would most likely be a novelty or an antique. A wand of magic missile is generally accepted as the preferable alternative. Common folk prefer a bow and arrow for huinting because it won't scare away your target when used.

Many ships and fortified cities are armed with cannons though because there just aren't many decent cheap alternatives for sinking a ship.

Something I've been wanting to do was an urban fantasy campaign like the Dresden Files (not just a straight Dresden universe thing, though) where magic doesn't gently caress up technology or exist in a vacuum like in most other series. So wizards can still use the internet and get high tech medical care, and they can use magic to enhance or protect from firearms and explosives.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

armoredgorilla posted:

Anyone have thoughts on how to add rennaissance style firearms into a game while A) foreshadowing that they'll be used so that it doesn't come out of nowhere but B) not making it completely obvious what the players are looking at. The PCs would be from a culture that has never encountered firearms before, they're completely new innovations from a secretive enemy. I know this is a bit broad, but a broad spectrum of thoughts would help here.

For example, I was going to have a fort on the wilderness be massacred by firearms wielders and the players come across the aftermath. But I can't think of a way to describe a bullet without players automatically going "oh, its a bullet".

Terry Pratchett's "Men At Arms" covers EXACTLY this. The book involves the night watch investigating some murders connected with a mysterious weapon stolen from the Assassin's Guild called a "gonne."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Make a weapon that fires BIG bullets. Like, .50 caliber plus. And fires them fast. Big bullets hitting in the wrong place just tear off limbs. Then have the wielder police their brass and collect their expended bullets.

Or make a blackpowder weapon that shoots quarrels or harpoons or something. Much less obvious then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The campaign I just started is high fantasy and post-firearms. Gunpowder exists and has it's uses but guns are seen as loud, noisy and archaic. You could definitely build or find a gun, but it would most likely be a novelty or an antique. A wand of magic missile is generally accepted as the preferable alternative. Common folk prefer a bow and arrow for huinting because it won't scare away your target when used.

Many ships and fortified cities are armed with cannons though because there just aren't many decent cheap alternatives for sinking a ship.
I really like this solution by the way.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.
I've been playing 5e for a couple of months now. The DM has asked me to take the reins to give him some time off and a chance to play. We're playing through the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure from the starter set.

What I thought I would do is take the group off on a planar adventure. This way I can leave the other DM's world the way he left it without having to touch base as much.

We've taken over the old manor house in Phandalin as our base. Slowly repairing the above ground sections as funds come in. There is a ravine in the hidden underground section chock full of necromatic energy. Not sure if this works out thematically or not but I thought I would use that as a jumping off point. My old character was planning to dig around there to see if he could find the source. I'm going to have it be a planar portal.

It will link the manor's basement with a crypt on an island in the elemental plane of air.

I'm looking for any old adventure modules set in that area or that could be adapted. If not directly then at least for inspiration. Any other adventure ideas are welcome.

The group will consist of 5 players at either 5th or 6th level.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really like this solution by the way.
How much for a wand of repeating magic missile?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Make a weapon that fires BIG bullets. Like, .50 caliber plus. And fires them fast. Big bullets hitting in the wrong place just tear off limbs. Then have the wielder police their brass and collect their expended bullets.
Cartridges wouldn't fit "renaissance firearms," but .50 cal is the size of a small to medium sized musket ball.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Goon GM's

I have a short question, wich is probably going to turn into a big answer.

I'm looking to run a PbP game here in wich the players get to stomp around in giant robots. This in itself is not that hard too find, there's a buncha poo poo. What I'm looking for though is a system in which i can have most of the players start out in grunt suits and work their way up to eventual elite pilot suits such as tallgeeses, or nineball or white glint or what have you.

The only issue I'm running into is that most of these systems are rather crunch heavy. I need something light and fast as I'm going to attempt to have all the suits that show up in the game, and are thus piloted by the players to be represented as digital LEGO models(which I'd have to build) Considering that a basic suit takes about half an hour to put together in the tools i use to build models most of my time would go to that, and not into working out rules and such. I looked at LEGO specific things such as MFZ and Mechaton but those end up with most of the mechs destroyed at the end of combat. any suggestions?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AzMiLion posted:

Goon GM's

I'm looking to run a PbP game here in wich the players get to stomp around in giant robots. This in itself is not that hard too find, there's a buncha poo poo. What I'm looking for though is a system in which i can have most of the players start out in grunt suits and work their way up to eventual elite pilot suits such as tallgeeses, or nineball or white glint or what have you.

The only issue I'm running into is that most of these systems are rather crunch heavy. I need something light and fast as I'm going to attempt to have all the suits that show up in the game, and are thus piloted by the players to be represented as digital LEGO models(which I'd have to build) Considering that a basic suit takes about half an hour to put together in the tools i use to build models most of my time would go to that, and not into working out rules and such. I looked at LEGO specific things such as MFZ and Mechaton but those end up with most of the mechs destroyed at the end of combat. any suggestions?

A hack of Monsters and Other Childish Things could work. It's low crunch, and your "monster" (mech suit)'s character sheet is straight-up a picture that you drew of it, with a pool of points/dice that you can assign to various body parts as a power or skill relevant to that part. In this system you also have a "kid" (pilot) who is your actual PC, and has regular RPG stats and stuff.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Lallander posted:

I've been playing 5e for a couple of months now.
What I thought I would do is take the group off on a planar adventure.
We've taken over the old manor house in Phandalin as our base. There is a ravine in the hidden underground section chock full of necromatic energy.

Have you read House of Leaves?

e:

AzMiLion posted:

Iron Edda doesn't quite fit on the 'level to awesome' criterea, but it does fit on mecha and :black101:, it's FATE-based, so fairly rules-light, and throws in bonus vikings:

black101 posted:

Dwarven Destroyers march across Midgard, laying waste to all before them.
Brave human warriors abandon clan and holdfast to bond themselves to the bones of dead giants, hoping to push back the Destroyers.
The Runescribed harness the magical power of the sacred Runes, wielding magic that could level cities.
Seers advise and divine the future, but the fate of the world is murky and dim.
Jarls, thralls, and warriors fight in common cause, shouting "victory or Valhalla!" as they charge into battle.
Ragnarok has come. The War of Metal and Bone. Will you dine with the gods in Valhalla, or dance with the dishonored dead?
Choose your fate!

Probably closer to what you actually asked for is Camelot Trigger, again FATE-based because I will hump FATE's leg all day erry day. If you've not come across it, think 'rules-light gurps, where you powerup by triggering your disadvantages'.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 16, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

deadly_pudding posted:

This would be an incredible way to spring some sort of horrendous brony trap.

DM: The creature masterfully disarms you, and the sword flies out of your grip, taking a tooth with it. Ouch.

PC: What? Why would I be holding my sword in my mouth?

GM: Well, I don't recall any of you explicitly defining your species on these character sheets, and you definitely haven't mentioned specifically that you are using your human hands to do stuff this whole time. So, yeah.

At this point, the GM slides a new Setting Aspect onto the table: "Friendship is Magic", and everybody goes home in a huff.

I know thoughtcrime isn't technically illegal but right now I'm reconsidering my entire philosophy on the subject.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It's not illegal per se, it's just a valid defence in a murder trial.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Motherfucker posted:

I know thoughtcrime isn't technically illegal but right now I'm reconsidering my entire philosophy on the subject.

You waited six months to post this?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Goon GM's

Remnants is an RPG about post apocalypse, self upgrading mecha. The setting probably doesn't quite suit, but it has a simple/streamlined, low number curve system and has mechs improving from bog standard grunts into highly customized, unique creations built into it from the start. Possible reskin?

Of course, it might be a bit too simple for some mech heads.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Captain Walker posted:

You waited six months to post this?

I can appreciate that it takes six months for somebody to validate my shitposts.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

deadly_pudding posted:

I can appreciate that it takes six months for somebody to validate my shitposts.

Looking at his rap sheet it looks like he's intimately familiar with the stinky science. I feel like I should stop now before this turns into the 5e thread (is that still a bad thread? I don't check) but I wanted to use the phrase "stinky science" as a euphemism for shitposting at least once.

Content!: How would you guys deal with a group of players who are usually too busy to make characters? We alternate GMs and systems a lot simply because of scheduling conflicts, but I'm tired of Dungeon World one shots, and quite frankly I think most of them would rather go for a full campaign. I don't enjoy running 13th Age largely because I'm not advanced enough as a GM for that side of things to be fun for players, at least from a story angle. I tried to run Strike! but people just didn't get there in time, and I didn't have enough pre-gens. Worst case scenario, is there a good RPG-lite board game? Descent is pretty dice-dependent I guess, but I hear good things about Mage Knight and the later D&D adventure system games.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mage Knight is a cool game, and while it has "few rules" if you just count rulebook pages by RPG standards, it's very deep in how you interact with your cards and analysis paralysis can be a huge problem, nearly as bad as it can be in a rules heavy RPG. Also, it does not really do the "four murderhobos enter a lair, three emerge with loot" thing at all, it's more like "four murderhobos rampage through the land, pillaging villages and press-ganking people into service, occasionally being dicks to each other for no reason".

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
I usually just roll up a couple of characters for my players to use since they are busy with the caveat they can fine tune them later. Right now I have a 13th Age one shot were I have been making pregens for them. If anything, I also ask them if they had any role they had in mind too, if I get the chance. If not, they can come pick up a sheet and have fun. They can create a character too as well.

Now for a system that is apt for campaigns and has really quick character generation. That is the ORE there is just a dice pool you can allocate into skills and stats and be ready in 15 minutes or less. It only gets complicated if it is like Wild Talents were you create your own super power on the fly.

And don't worry about feeling inadequate for 13th Age, your players will be making the main campaign plot hooks such as a musical band going around stopping an end of the world plot. It was also the first system I ran so don't feel overwhelmed. Your job is to help facilitate the story like in Dungeon World.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Captain Walker posted:

Looking at his rap sheet it looks like he's intimately familiar with the stinky science.

:ironicat:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Has anyone ever worked other games into their campaign? I was thinking what if some king grants a plot of land to the players for a completed quest, then as they work their way up in levels they invest their gold in building towns, strongholds, gaining influence. Eventually, (when they are nearly lvl 20 or things seem to be winding down) the king becomes uncomfortable with how much power they've attained and declares war. At this point you whip out a custom Risk map and a massive battle ensues. Do the players band together to defeat him, or does someone broker a deal with the king in exchange for even more land and power? Seems like a climactic way to end a campaign. It'll be probably a year before I try it, so I'm curious if people have done it (or incorporated any other board game) before.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

TheLastManStanding posted:

Has anyone ever worked other games into their campaign? I was thinking what if some king grants a plot of land to the players for a completed quest, then as they work their way up in levels they invest their gold in building towns, strongholds, gaining influence. Eventually, (when they are nearly lvl 20 or things seem to be winding down) the king becomes uncomfortable with how much power they've attained and declares war. At this point you whip out a custom Risk map and a massive battle ensues. Do the players band together to defeat him, or does someone broker a deal with the king in exchange for even more land and power? Seems like a climactic way to end a campaign. It'll be probably a year before I try it, so I'm curious if people have done it (or incorporated any other board game) before.

We played a game of Liar's Dice in my 13th Age campaign recently after my players challenged a notorious gambler and insisted we play the game out. That went well, I occasionally threw in skill checks for them to catch him cheating/ notice other stuff going on. With a longer game like Risk though, I'd be wary of springing a protracted game of something some players didn't enjoy on them. Mind you, you have a year to subtly check their opinions on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The de facto leader of my former tabletop group tried to include a Sudoku puzzle that we had to solve. Unfortunately, the majority of the players (including myself) had zero interest in Sudoku beforehand and thus not only didn't have a clue how to go about it, but we didn't even want to solve it. I ended up just leaving the room to gently caress around while the two guys who knew how to solve it went about things.

So the short answer: make sure the guys at the table would actually be interested in changing the game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I could see a brief dice game or something working if the stakes are appropriate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That'd be grounds for an immediate Snowbank.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

chitoryu12 posted:

The de facto leader of my former tabletop group tried to include a Sudoku puzzle that we had to solve. Unfortunately, the majority of the players (including myself) had zero interest in Sudoku beforehand and thus not only didn't have a clue how to go about it, but we didn't even want to solve it. I ended up just leaving the room to gently caress around while the two guys who knew how to solve it went about things.
Yeah, I'd never give some complex plot centric puzzle. Maybe something simple that might lead to a secret room with bonus stuff if they solve it. Risk is a huge change, but that's why I'd do it at the very end when the campaign is already wrapping up.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Mind you, you have a year to subtly check their opinions on it.
I'd definitely try to gauge their opinion on it, but we also play a lot of boardgames together (Catan, Pandemic, Formula D, etc) so it shouldn't be that big of a curveball. I'd probably also modify the rules to speed things up a bit; I wouldn't want it to last more than a session or two.

I've also though about having a dungeon played out on the amazeing labyrinth board. Have the characters find a magic map, which explains how they know the layout of the labyrinth, but they still have to deal with the shifting walls while avoiding a minotaur. I'd probably have to practice with myself a few times to work out the mechanics, but throw in a few encounters/traps and it should be fairly interesting.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 17, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I am thinking about running a Monsterhearts scenario about orphans who get adopted by an eccentric billionaire and are taken to live in his mansion. My concept is basically Gossip Girls meets supernatural novels - angsty teenagers have money and privilege dropped in their laps, but still have to deal with the baggage that comes with growing up in foster care AND struggling with your insatiable lust for blood/carnage/revenge/magical fuckery/whatever. But there's one thing I need to figure out: why would an eccentric billionaire want to adopt a bunch of angsty monster teens? I can always change the billionaire's motivations around, but it will be easier if I have something to build towards at the outset. The only reason I can think of is that he's Professor X assembling a team of mutant superheroes, but that's a little on-the-nose, don't you think?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

I am thinking about running a Monsterhearts scenario about orphans who get adopted by an eccentric billionaire and are taken to live in his mansion. My concept is basically Gossip Girls meets supernatural novels - angsty teenagers have money and privilege dropped in their laps, but still have to deal with the baggage that comes with growing up in foster care AND struggling with your insatiable lust for blood/carnage/revenge/magical fuckery/whatever. But there's one thing I need to figure out: why would an eccentric billionaire want to adopt a bunch of angsty monster teens? I can always change the billionaire's motivations around, but it will be easier if I have something to build towards at the outset. The only reason I can think of is that he's Professor X assembling a team of mutant superheroes, but that's a little on-the-nose, don't you think?

Billionaires wife has decided she wants to run a fostering house because she's bored and husband billionaire gives no fucks because he's a billionaire.

Don't need to explain the whims of the rich dude. They do what they want because they can.

Edit: Id play it that he's bought the old mansion and they're the last group of care kids in there, as part of the amazing good deal he got for the house he has to let them say out their time there or the contract to buy is null and void.

Of course, this means that if things are trying to kill the players he's hardly going to want to help them, and might actually consider advancing the murder somewhat...

AceClown fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 17, 2014