Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

That's in NOK, right? :ohdear:
Otherwise I'll have to bash some heads and demand a raise.

Yeah, NOK. But you don't know what was in my account before I got paid today it was 400 kr

Both your last and current job has been government I believe, and I'm in Big Oil. When I've interviewed for government jobs they have said in pretty much exact words that they pay less, but have better job safety. Now we have a government who model themselves after Reagan/Thatcher/Rand and the oil sector is crashing and cutting costs everywhere, so everybody is screwed and I'm just saving up whatever I can of my relatively decent salary for a helpdesk monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We remain comically understaffed. We also have a shitload of old equipment my predecessor left lying around, and no clue what any of it's from, because he didn't document anything. We have a spare office nearby that a contractor is going to be using, so since no one has said anything about any of this equipment in a couple of years, I got the greenlight to dispose of it. Because I'm so overworked due to the staffing situation, the helpdesk manager was told to send someone to fill out the paperwork. The helpdesk manager, who is a politics player sort, told me who he was sending -- the shop supervisor -- and that I should coordinate with him to find a mutually agreeable time.

Which is fine, except he didn't say anything to that guy about it. I emailed that guy today and he was totally unaware of it. This kind of task is, frankly, beneath him, and I guess he wanted me to be the bad guy.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

Both your last and current job has been government I believe, and I'm in Big Oil. When I've interviewed for government jobs they have said in pretty much exact words that they pay less, but have better job safety.

Last one was semi-private, but yes. My salary isn't all that great - it's by no means bad but it's not great either - but I make that up in other benefits like kickass retirement (15.5%), paid lunch break, 2 days PTO when the kids are sick, flexible hours, Scandinavian vacation lengths, etc.. and we're in the more rural area of the country. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for 15-25% more the closer I'd have to move to Copenhagen.

Mrs. Crowley is the one with ambition in our family, and we agreed that when the kids have moved out she'll be aiming for a CxO position in one of the larger cities* - and she'll most likely get it too.

*Denmark has larger cities wtf lol etc.

Edit: I guesstimated your normal tax rate to be 35% and went from there.

Edit2 - the rerail: I left work at midday because I got a call from school to come pick up the smallest one. She's ill and is currently sleeping on the couch while I worked on the VPN. "Worked" because it just crashed and stopped working. It claims it connects flawlessly, but I still have my non-tunneled IP, and my coworker just confirmed that all VPN connections are this way. I had work to do, dammit. :(

Crowley fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 16, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Our piece of poo poo company got bought by another piece of poo poo company. The company who sold, as one final cash grab for the executives, has sold all of our corporate emails to various vendors, sales, training, etc. I now get 10 a day of this nonsense.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

evobatman posted:

I know how special your exact model of phone is to you, but isn't that model so old now that they should be cheap to get off eBay?

Yeah, Droid 4s are something in the range of $50 on Swappa, so I can't imagine they'd be that much higher on UK sites.

E: Which is good, because I need to replace mine too - the battery is starting to swell. :ohdear:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Our piece of poo poo company got bought by another piece of poo poo company. The company who sold, as one final cash grab for the executives, has sold all of our corporate emails to various vendors, sales, training, etc. I now get 10 a day of this nonsense.

Time to get access to your company spam blocklist.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Time to have a perfect excuse "oh, I didn't see your email, must have gotten buried in the spam!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

Nah, they're coming from Australia, where it's currently summer, so I can't even wear them for six months. (Yes, Black Milk got more of my money.)

It's fine though, I get paid early for xmas (this friday) and I doubt the phone will be fixed by then.

Well my girlfriend was looking for a decent place to buy clothes, now i've got a place to recommend. Cheers!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

evobatman posted:

Yeah, NOK. But you don't know what was in my account before I got paid today it was 400 kr

Both your last and current job has been government I believe, and I'm in Big Oil. When I've interviewed for government jobs they have said in pretty much exact words that they pay less, but have better job safety. Now we have a government who model themselves after Reagan/Thatcher/Rand and the oil sector is crashing and cutting costs everywhere, so everybody is screwed and I'm just saving up whatever I can of my relatively decent salary for a helpdesk monkey.

You're in Big Oil and only got 32700 NOK in a half tax month?

:wtc:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Do repair shops hibernate or migrate south in the winter or something? :v:

No, but I only moved here recently, so no idea who is good.

Found a place down the road that will do it for a tenner though, so problem solved, and no charge if they can't fix it.

That said I'm seriously considering getting a new phone with a keyboard attachment, and then taking the SIM out of the Blackberry Curve that work foisted upon me and putting it in the Droid 4. I can't even type on the sodding thing and keep breaking my nails if I type with those. Someone find me a decent (5 row) keyboard attachment for a Note 4 or similar.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, Droid 4s are something in the range of $50 on Swappa, so I can't imagine they'd be that much higher on UK sites.

E: Which is good, because I need to replace mine too - the battery is starting to swell. :ohdear:

Replacing the battery is pretty easy, you just need to undo two screws at the bottom right of the battery hidden under a little rubber cover, then force the thing out as its glued in place. The replacement battery kit comes with a replacement sticky sheet to put the new one in.

dogstile posted:

Well my girlfriend was looking for a decent place to buy clothes, now i've got a place to recommend. Cheers!

Welp, if you get her hooked on BM, expect to have no money left every month. They're definitely the best place to go for pretty shiny geeky clothes though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Why do I need to go into Group Policy editor to install .Net Framework 3.5 on a Windows 8 machine (rhetorical question)? Oh well, at least it worked. http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-install-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-8-and-later/

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
poo poo pissing me off tonight: very, very over-eager recruiters.

quote:

So, I've been trying to reach you for a couple weeks now, and getting no love in return. : (

I wouldn't have been reaching out if I didn't think that this would be something very relevant to you based on all the stuff I've seen you're working on.

I've never had this in a recruiter e-mail before.

I don't even know how this guy got my e-mail, or the idea that I'm a Java guy.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Westie posted:

poo poo pissing me off tonight: very, very over-eager recruiters.

That's still better than the 200+ emails I've gotten from Indian recruiters offering me three month contracts managing Windows 2000 servers in Bumblefuck, Nebraska.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does it say terrible things about me as a person if I automatically delete any email to my personal email from a person with a name of Indian, Sri Lankan, or Pakistani origin? Because it's never not been something related to the above.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

psydude posted:

Does it say terrible things about me as a person if I automatically delete any email to my personal email from a person with a name of Indian, Sri Lankan, or Pakistani origin? Because it's never not been something related to the above.

Yes.

You obviously haven't used Dell Support.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
I've gotten mail from several different recruiters. Wait, back that up.

I've gotten mail from several different names (easily over 30) in the same company over the past 3 months. They are all recruiting for the exact same Citrix Engineer position.

Bonus: "Citrix" does not appear in my resume at all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lum posted:

Replacing the battery is pretty easy, you just need to undo two screws at the bottom right of the battery hidden under a little rubber cover, then force the thing out as its glued in place. The replacement battery kit comes with a replacement sticky sheet to put the new one in.

Already tried twice, both replacements made my phone throw that "unrecognized battery" error. Made sure the contacts were tightened properly and all. :(

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Why do I need to go into Group Policy editor to install .Net Framework 3.5 on a Windows 8 machine (rhetorical question)? Oh well, at least it worked. http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-install-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-8-and-later/

You don't.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, I do. I followed that guide you linked before moving onto the one I found.

Given that it was me telling it to bypass WSUS, I'm assuming it's a problem on our end, but the WSUS server guy is so far removed from where I am that this was much less effort.

Also, from the article you linked:

quote:

Windows Server Update Services. An error can also occur if your administrator has configured your computer to use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) instead of Windows Update for servicing. Ask your administrator to enable the policy to use Windows Update instead of WSUS.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Yeah, I do. I followed that guide you linked before moving onto the one I found.

Given that it was me telling it to bypass WSUS, I'm assuming it's a problem on our end, but the WSUS server guy is so far removed from where I am that this was much less effort.

Also, from the article you linked:

Did you do the part where it says no internet connection? It's built into Windows, so I'm not sure why it wants a connection to begin with, you just need to enable it. I'm quite certain I've done it before without the system being connected to any network/internet connection. *edit* Ah, looking over it again, you do need the install disc if you do it this way.

quote:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:installationMediaDrive:\sources\sxs

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 16, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

Did you do the part where it says no internet connection? It's built into Windows, so I'm not sure why it wants a connection to begin with, you just need to enable it. I'm quite certain I've done it before without the system being connected to any network/internet connection.

Being completely honest, in this case no I didn't.

I messed with this same issue on a different machine about a month ago and at the time I did use the DISM command unsuccessfully. The user ended up not needing the .Net framework after all so it never did get resolved, so that very well could have been on me.

Sorry for being a little snarky! Didn't mean it.

And yeah, we just install from images so I'd have to mount an .iso or something to try, but it's worth trying regardless.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

e: I read good :eng99: You could probably just copy the source files from the install media to a shared folder though

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 16, 2014

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

guppy posted:

We remain comically understaffed. We also have a shitload of old equipment my predecessor left lying around, and no clue what any of it's from, because he didn't document anything. We have a spare office nearby that a contractor is going to be using, so since no one has said anything about any of this equipment in a couple of years, I got the greenlight to dispose of it. Because I'm so overworked due to the staffing situation, the helpdesk manager was told to send someone to fill out the paperwork. The helpdesk manager, who is a politics player sort, told me who he was sending -- the shop supervisor -- and that I should coordinate with him to find a mutually agreeable time.

Which is fine, except he didn't say anything to that guy about it. I emailed that guy today and he was totally unaware of it. This kind of task is, frankly, beneath him, and I guess he wanted me to be the bad guy.

If helpdesk manager can't ask a member of his team to pitch in and help cure a situation that has nothing to do with politics.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Lum posted:

That said I'm seriously considering getting a new phone with a keyboard attachment, and then taking the SIM out of the Blackberry Curve that work foisted upon me and putting it in the Droid 4. I can't even type on the sodding thing and keep breaking my nails if I type with those. Someone find me a decent (5 row) keyboard attachment for a Note 4 or similar.

scored this off ebay a month or so back:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Being completely honest, in this case no I didn't.

I messed with this same issue on a different machine about a month ago and at the time I did use the DISM command unsuccessfully. The user ended up not needing the .Net framework after all so it never did get resolved, so that very well could have been on me.

Sorry for being a little snarky! Didn't mean it.

And yeah, we just install from images so I'd have to mount an .iso or something to try, but it's worth trying regardless.

It's one of those weird things that I had to look up a while back when I was setting up some 2012 servers that required those older versions of DotNet. Not sure why they did it that way. I seem to recall it being as simple as ticking a box in the 'Enable Windows Features' section, like what Roargasm posted.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spiny posted:

scored this off ebay a month or so back:

That's the quad-fold keyboard, isn't it? I bought that with my Palm 3c and was king of the hill for a while.

I kind of miss Graffiti as input some times - you could get wicked fast with practise.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Crowley posted:

That's the quad-fold keyboard, isn't it? I bought that with my Palm 3c and was king of the hill for a while.

I kind of miss Graffiti as input some times - you could get wicked fast with practise.

yeah, I always wanted one 'back in the day' and this appeared on ebay for not much money a while ago and nobody else bid :)

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Currently pissing me off: My employer flipping out over the Sony fiasco. Total kneejerk reaction so now we're implementing security policies that are convoluted as gently caress. I hope this whole department loving implodes.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"This is person X's new computer. It's totally done. Just hook it up, turn it on, here's her temp password envelope." I walk away for other poo poo.

I come back, the monkey has it hooked up, is 99% of the way through re-imaging it, and is creating her email account under our old naming policy.

And yet, somehow, this is my fault for poor communication, because I didn't say "hook it up at her desk".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the plus side though apparently you can now use the phrase "totally done" when you actually mean "ready to be started on", so there's a silver lining right there. Looks like you've done all your work for this week.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

So learned today that one of our critical application servers is at 100% disk usage (2.2 gigs left). This server hosts an in house developed application which we do pretty much everything on, and works with a progress database. We informed management that because of the stability, or lack thereof, of the application we would need about six hours of downtime to expand the server's RAID array then restore the application to a functioning state.
Today the owner informed us that there will be no downtime. None.
We do not have the ability to do a live storage expansion on this server so one of two things will be happening:
1. We convince him that we need downtime and get it on, at best, a sunday morning probably around 3AM.
2. We don't get downtime and at some point in the next seven days we possibly lose the entire production database, 6+ hours of work, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit.
New years resolution is to :yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm assuming that "there will be no downtime" was said in a way that they expect you to be able to resolve this without downtime, without bothering them again, and without it loving up? Does this person also think that making the same request louder and to your boss can change the laws of physics?

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm assuming that "there will be no downtime" was said in a way that they expect you to be able to resolve this without downtime, without bothering them again, and without it loving up? Does this person also think that making the same request louder and to your boss can change the laws of physics?

Yes, yes, and yes with the bonus of it shouldn't cost us a dime.
This person is one of those company owners that won't let the managers manage, micromanages everybody and generally makes my job harder!

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Not that right now is the time - with the production outage on the horizon - to argue this, but only just now saying "hey we are running out of space and need $ and an outage to expand before it dies in a week" is an issue.
Does anyone actually monitor your stuff? Or did this go from 0 -> 100 in a day?

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

stuxracer posted:

Not that right now is the time - with the production outage on the horizon - to argue this, but only just now saying "hey we are running out of space and need $ and an outage to expand before it dies in a week" is an issue.
Does anyone actually monitor your stuff? Or did this go from 0 -> 100 in a day?

We've been bringing this up since July with no progress. We were at 70 off percent but our programmer (contracted, no longer with company, in litigation with company) changed something and we saw a huge increase in the amount of IO and the amount of space being taken up. The whole "Building is on fire, better install sprinklers" mentality is pretty common around here with most of our budget coming from emergencies.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Seriously, get Icinga right now and monitor that poo poo. Capacity issues should be notifying you at 80% unless you get it in writing to do otherwise.

:edit: Just saw above. Welp.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Seriously, get Icinga right now and monitor that poo poo. Capacity issues should be notifying you at 80% unless you get it in writing to do otherwise.

:edit: Just saw above. Welp.

Yeah. I usually don't look at the disk capacities for this server because I handle desktop/windows server support and networking mostly so when my supervisor said "hey we have 6days til death" I was shocked to say the least. We have a bunch of "pls gif downtime" emails and whatnot so its all in writing.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Simpleboo posted:

We've been bringing this up since July with no progress. We were at 70 off percent but our programmer (contracted, no longer with company, in litigation with company) changed something and we saw a huge increase in the amount of IO and the amount of space being taken up. The whole "Building is on fire, better install sprinklers" mentality is pretty common around here with most of our budget coming from emergencies.
Oh. Well I am sorry. Gather up your communications over the last 6 months of the issue so when the building does catch fire you can present that as your defense.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Simpleboo posted:

Get this in a documentable form, preferably in a response to a very descriptive email outlining the exact situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Simpleboo posted:

We informed management that because of the stability, or lack thereof, of the application we would need about six hours of downtime to expand the server's RAID array then restore the application to a functioning state.

Let me guess: Raid5 or 6 because the array is old / manager didn't want to invest in Raid10?

Edit: "Hey I expect you to pull off a miracle and do something with a fundamentally-required rebuild time without the rebuild time!"