Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sex Weirdo posted:

A guy that I work with has been doing this. He claims to have like 6-8 or so of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums full of gasoline, rigged up on a big rack in the garage with hoses and a pump. The funny part is he filled most of them months ago and is stuck using some pretty expensive gas now.

Doesn't gas go bad after a while anyway? Like, what's the purpose of stockpiling gasoline that's going to be useless after 6 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TLG James posted:

I'm surprised no one has started buying large tubs of gasoline yet.

Back during Hurricane Sandy when we had a gas shortage in Long Island, a coworker of mine saw a bunch of guys filling up a couple of garbage cans full of gas in the back of a pickup truck. Then they drive away with the cans open and sloshing around.

e: I mean if you want to talk about money, that's not terrible with money because you could sell it for a profit. What it is terrible at is not being a loving idiot.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004

Sex Weirdo posted:

A guy that I work with has been doing this. He claims to have like 6-8 or so of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums full of gasoline, rigged up on a big rack in the garage with hoses and a pump. The funny part is he filled most of them months ago and is stuck using some pretty expensive gas now.

Show him this episode of Always Sunny: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1266369/

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

TLG James posted:

My dad did this before Y2K. He had about 500 gallons sitting on his property. It all went bad.

It's kinda sad because he's normally really good with money, but he went through this really impressionable phase for a couple years where he would buy into pretty much any bullshit he read on the internet.

I paid for my first car with a sack of silver coins that he gave me for my birthday when I was like 12. I was kinda puzzled when I opened them. I thought it was cool, but what the hell does a middle schooler want with silver coins?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Doesn't gas go bad after a while anyway? Like, what's the purpose of stockpiling gasoline that's going to be useless after 6 months?

I brought that up and he says he has a "rotation" where older gas is used first, this is kept track of by logging in a notebook every time gas is added and having the drums numbered so you know which one to take it from. If it gets too old he says it then gets used in the lawn tractor or leaf blower or whatever.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
This article is quite funny http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140523-the-downside-of-living-debt-free

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sex Weirdo posted:

I brought that up and he says he has a "rotation" where older gas is used first, this is kept track of by logging in a notebook every time gas is added and having the drums numbered so you know which one to take it from. If it gets too old he says it then gets used in the lawn tractor or leaf blower or whatever.

Oh, well that sure sounds like a good use of time and energy.

Plus, you know, the fact that his misguided hedge against rising gas prices completely failed and now he has a bunch of gas he paid way more than current market rate for. Me, I'll just head down to the corner station with the inspected and certified pumps with gas that was delivered this week and buy only what I need for the next few weeks and be done in 5 minutes.

It's one thing to deal with commodities futures and hedging if you're running a business that depends on it (like, say, an airline or a trucking company), but to literally store gasoline in plastic barrels in your back yard is hilarious. I wonder what his home owners insurance would have to say about that, as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

"If you can borrow money at 2% and be guaranteed a 5% return, you should take on as much debt as you can to invest. Like in real estate. Investing in real estate gives you guaranteed cashflow return of 5%, so borrow money to invest in real estate." :allears:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sex Weirdo posted:

Yeah gas goes bad in a couple months if it has ethanol in it (and almost all consumer gas has some amount of ethanol in it nowadays), the fuel will start to separate if even small amounts of moisture get mixed in with it.

Pure gasoline can last a couple years but again, you're not gonna find pure gasoline anywhere probably.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Gasoline turns in to a varnish, ask anyone with a carbed bike. Also tell your coworker about Stabil.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TLG James posted:

There were genuine fuel shortages in the UK in 2000 and for a week, it was harder and harder to buy petrol for cars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom

At the time, I drove a van that ran on leaded petrol, that was less popular that unleaded - so when I happened to pass a petrol station without a queue at the leaded pump, I filled up a couple of industrial plastic drums with petrol (may be been 100 litres) and kept them inside the van (no garage and buggered if I was going to store them in the house).

About a day later, I discovered that petrol will leach through some plastic containers, filling the van with vapour and giving the fear that the plastic might collapse entirely and dump it all over the van interior

That was a fun drive back home.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Gabriel Pope posted:

"If you can borrow money at 2% and be guaranteed a 5% return, you should take on as much debt as you can to invest. Like in real estate. Investing in real estate gives you guaranteed cashflow return of 5%, so borrow money to invest in real estate." :allears:

It's possible to do but being a landlord or running commercial property can be pretty time and resource intensive. Thing is most will borrow thinking they're following the rich dad poor dad formula but instead end up with...

quote:

“All in all I have been in constant credit card debt since the past 10 years,” he continued.

“But, my income has always been enough to cover my payments, and while I may have paid a premium of 20% or so overall due to interest and fees, my income has grown by a factor of 10 or 1000% since 2003, so the math works in favour of buying now and not worrying later. Had I postponed my purchases until I had ‘saved up’ it would have been much too late and a huge waste of time.”

Ah yes borrow every dollar you can and hope that nothing happens to your income on the next paycheque.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Jackasses in my town caused a fuel shortage by filling up every car, boat, ATV, lawnmower, and gas can that they could when word got out that supplies were running low. This caused me to have to pay nearly double the normal rate just to get enough to put in my car to last a few days. I couldn't get premium, so I ended up having to put regular in my Supra.

The selfish FYGM buttholes who were so worried about running out of gas actually caused the very problem they were concerned about. I heard co-workers saying things like "I had 3/4 of a tank, but I figured I'd better top off and fill up the boat, you know?" while I stared blankly at them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Kinda related, but one of my favorite little subgroups of Bad With Money are preppers.

I can't recall if I've told this story before but here it is anyway. My cousin isn't full blown prepper (mostly just buys a ton of guns), but he's sort of a crazy anti-government type and infinitely more so when a Democrat is in office. Sometime a few years ago (after the downswing of the financial crisis) he was floating the idea of buying bulletproof vests because "don't you think it's getting bad out there?" without any real hint of irony. Like we were basically one more health care bill amendment away from there being rivers of blood flowing in the streets. No you dumbass it's not "getting bad out there" you live in a middle class suburb and should be saving for your three children's college funds, not spending thousands of dollars on body armor.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Jackasses in my town caused a fuel shortage by filling up every car, boat, ATV, lawnmower, and gas can that they could when word got out that supplies were running low. This caused me to have to pay nearly double the normal rate just to get enough to put in my car to last a few days. I couldn't get premium, so I ended up having to put regular in my Supra.

The selfish FYGM buttholes who were so worried about running out of gas actually caused the very problem they were concerned about. I heard co-workers saying things like "I had 3/4 of a tank, but I figured I'd better top off and fill up the boat, you know?" while I stared blankly at them.

Why are you buying premium? I thought there was a study done where there was no noticeable performance difference between regular and premium.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

It's nothing near as bad as gambling problems or horrific debt but one of my good friends is just poo poo with money from what I can tell. She is always working overtime and stressing herself into ill health because of it yet never seems to be able to pay for necessities. All her money goes into video games, miniatures, and Dungeons and Dragons rulebooks instead of things like doctor bills and it drives me insane.

Our nerdgames group doesn't have time to play pen and paper stuff anymore but she went out and bought all the DnD books currently available for the new edition anyway. She buys Prima guides for MMOs that she plays for about a week then quits, or maintains multiple monthly subscriptions to MMOs that she doesn't actively play. She has a poo poo-ton of 40k miniatures and keeps buying more even though she hasn't played the game in literal years. She's collecting all those Nintendo figures that unlock in-game items or whatever even before she owns the game that they're meant for. Now she wants to buy a new iMac to play games on while at the same time claiming that she can't afford to take her dog to the vet when it's sick or keep up with her own medication.

It's her money and at least she isn't doing something stupid like taking out loans to pay for this poo poo but her priorities are completely hosed. It's frustrating.

Traxus IV fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nocheez posted:

It was depressing during our post-sandy gas shortage when you noticed more and more luxury and classic vehicles on the street. As their main cars were running out, people started using their expensive toy cars because they already had gas in them.

Coworker of mine also flipped out on a complete stranger because she was asking for help pushing her car in a gas line. Thinking she was out of gas, he helped her out for the 2 hour wait in line for gas. Once they got to the pumps he found out she had 2/3 of a tank of gas and didn't actually need any, she was just being cheap.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Why would you buy literal barrels of oil when you can buy futures?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Why are you buying premium? I thought there was a study done where there was no noticeable performance difference between regular and premium.

If your car is designed for high octane gas (high compression, turbocharged, etc) then it is detrimental to the performance, efficiency, and longevity of the motor to put in regular because your car will retard the timing a ton to prevent predetonation.

There is no benefit to putting premium in a car designed to run regular octane gas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
To pile on, if your car is designed for premium, using regular will typically degrade your fuel economy to a point where it's not economical to use economy.

However, if your car is designed for 87, spending extra money on 89/91/93/95 does not make a lick of difference in terms of performance or longevity.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

HonorableTB posted:

Some vehicles (ie. many higher performance vehicles) do actually require premium/higher octane. But that represents a tiny share of the average automotive market, so you're not completely wrong. For most cars that the average joe owns, there is no difference between regular and premium. There's never a shortage of dummies who think that their 2002 Neon needs premium. :woop:

The recommended octane level is specified in every car's owner's manual. But then again, the type of people who foolishly think that premium is some sort of magic sauce for their econobox car aren't the types who ever look at the owner's manual.

CBC Marketplace actually did a segment on this very debate, and confirms what people in this thread are saying.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 16, 2014

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Joining the pile on, the general result of using regular in a high compression motor is a largish hole in the piston if you're not careful. If your car doesn't ping or knock on regular then you'll be fine though.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, calling the gas "premium" is what fucks people up, it should really be called A, B, or C, and you should have a letter on your gas tank to match.

Seeing people fill up on 91 while saying, "I'm getting the good stuff this time!" makes me twitch.

My car says not to use > 89, I wonder how many people actually read that poo poo.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yes, the Supra was turbocharged and absolutely needed premium. Higher octane = higher resistance to burn, and high-compression/forced-induction motors can pre-detonate, where the fuel literally explodes from heat and pressure instead of from the spark plug. This can put a hole in your pistons or motor if you run too low of an octane.

If you have a car designed for regular and run premium, some of the fuel will not burn and you'll get carbon deposits building up. :eng101:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, calling the gas "premium" is what fucks people up, it should really be called A, B, or C, and you should have a letter on your gas tank to match.

Absolutely. "Premium" is a total misnomer and has absolutely gently caress all to do with the quality of the gas. I wish they would drop the whole regular/plus/premium bullshit and just go with the octane rating (which is always right below the name anyway) as that's the only thing that is different and matters.

Also I find it funny how bad at math people are when they think that premium gas is a huge rip off, or they won't buy a car because it requires premium gas. Yeah, that extra 20 cents a gallon on the ~20 gallons of gas I buy per month is really loving my wallet. It's the difference between a $51 fill up and a $55 fill up. That measly $4 is less than the stupid Starbucks sugar swill you're choking down twice a day. It's even worse when someone driving a car that legit requires premium thinks that it's a scam, and ends up getting worse fuel efficiency/performance on regular that ends up costing them more than just buying the loving correct octane gas, not to mention increasing the chances they'll have major engine trouble in the future from the constant timing retardation trying to fight off predetonation.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 16, 2014

Folly
May 26, 2010

Sex Weirdo posted:

Holy poo poo. "Hey honey, do mind if I keep a bomb in the garage? Oh just a little one, like a kiloton or so."

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
My current car needs premium, and I was asked if I could notice the extra money when fueling up. To be honest, the extra 3 bucks when filling up doesn't really matter to the monthly payments. Plus the car is a shitload of fun to drive, so it all works out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a handful of co-workers that are really really into Bitcoin.

- One dumped $15k into bit when it was really high. He dumped a bunch into dogecoin as well. Constantly has the price tickers open on his computer at work. He used to buy shitloads of video cards to mine.
- One is really really into mining and has $500+ electric bills. He "reinvests" his "returns" into more/newer miners and continually dig their hole deeper. Now one of them is into cloud mining or something. He just purchased a brand new pickup, put an aftermarket $1200 navi package in it as well as a >$1k sound system. Oh yeah, he has a kid on the way too. And laughed at me when I suggested he put money into a Roth IRA instead of Bitcoin miners. Also buys the latest Android phones for him and his wife every 6 months.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

HonorableTB posted:

Not for a motor tuned on premium. Your knock sensors will compensate but it's not ideal, you will lose performance and mpg. His Supra definitely wants 91+ if it's a turbo, and N/A Supras don't exist.

LorneReams posted:

Seeing people fill up on 91 while saying, "I'm getting the good stuff this time!" makes me twitch.

My car says not to use > 89, I wonder how many people actually read that poo poo.
My cars all have the minimum octane on the cap or label on the fuel door. I also think the word-grade is very silly, it's rated by octane... And the grades confuse the attendant anyway, you must make sure they pick the right octane...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

- One dumped $15k into bit when it was really high. He dumped a bunch into dogecoin as well. Constantly has the price tickers open on his computer at work. He used to buy shitloads of video cards to mine.
- One is really really into mining and has $500+ electric bills. He "reinvests" his "returns" into more/newer miners and continually dig their hole deeper. Now one of them is into cloud mining or something. He just purchased a brand new pickup, put an aftermarket $1200 navi package in it as well as a >$1k sound system. Oh yeah, he has a kid on the way too. And laughed at me when I suggested he put money into a Roth IRA instead of Bitcoin miners. Also buys the latest Android phones for him and his wife every 6 months.

Bitcoin is really a good way of finding out who the financially gullible are. Although it does point out a hole in education where if people just understand the very basic concepts from accounting they could separate out the ideas of capital expenditure and expenses, along with assets and revenue. Understanding that and being able to see that they're going backwards by mining shitcoins.

Of course $15k in shitcoins at $800 is a great "investment" with today's price dropping to $330. The price is going to keep sinking so those negative returns will only get worse.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I had an 89 Supra and the engine was always acting up on it. Nothing major but now I wonder if that's because I never used higher octane gas.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Sex Weirdo posted:

This might not be legal. If it is, it is incredibly dangerous.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blue_monday posted:

Some countries have laws against petrol hoarding left over from the oil shocks in the 70's. More likely to be an issue is that hazardous substances rules for storage apply once you have 3 or more drums. He probably has a risk of prosecution if it catches on fire.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I hope the last guy is pulling down 150k+.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I hope the last guy is pulling down 150k+.

He's a contractor, so he'd be extremely lucky to make 1/4 of that.

From the time of that last post, he tried to get me to buy into this paycoin bullshit, whatever it is and told me he made 125% return on his investment in 15 minutes this morning.

For laughs, I routinely send him links to the reddit threads where people lose 40k from getting hacked.

I need that colossal :psyboom: every time I talk to this guy.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 17, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
US Congress is bad with money. This is just really dumb.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/64234605/how-nasa-spent-450m-to-build-a-enginetest-tower-it-never-used

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

Some countries have laws against petrol hoarding left over from the oil shocks in the 70's. More likely to be an issue is that hazardous substances rules for storage apply once you have 3 or more drums. He probably has a risk of prosecution if it catches on fire.
That, and his gasoline will be useless if it isn't used in ~3 months. Gasoline has a very short shelf life.

And then of course there's the risk of incinerating your house, which probably isn't worth the comparably small savings you'd get from hoarding barrels of fuel in your garage.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 17, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spog posted:

There were genuine fuel shortages in the UK in 2000 and for a week, it was harder and harder to buy petrol for cars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom

At the time, I drove a van that ran on leaded petrol, that was less popular that unleaded - so when I happened to pass a petrol station without a queue at the leaded pump, I filled up a couple of industrial plastic drums with petrol (may be been 100 litres) and kept them inside the van (no garage and buggered if I was going to store them in the house).

About a day later, I discovered that petrol will leach through some plastic containers, filling the van with vapour and giving the fear that the plastic might collapse entirely and dump it all over the van interior

That was a fun drive back home.

How in the world did the UK have leaded gasoline until (and possibly after) TYOOL 2000? I remember my dad complaining in the late 80's about Mexican cars coming across the border that used leaded gasoline they bought on their side. And having been in Mexico all this year, I didn't see any leaded pumps whatsoever.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Blue_monday posted:

Well I brought it up tonight at work and you'll be glad to know that no one is storing gas in their home. I found out there are two guys doing it though. One guy has a 5 drum setup in a pole barn separate from the house who is apparently sitting on over 200 gallons right now. The other guy has a 3 drum setup in the back yard next to a shed. They both bought some sort of race car fuel pumps to get the fuel out of the drums to the tune of almost $200 each, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm pretty sure that you can sign a contract for X period with oil distributors that will come out every month and fill up an approved tank at a price per gal agreed upon in the contract.They usually use gravity-fed tanks though.

• Locked thread