Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

Also reprint Stifle because it's my favorite card after Lili and Hymn.

But it was reprinted this year. In fact, I drafted it just the other day :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

They just...did?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

qbert posted:

Don't worry, I only build decks to play land, spell, Pact of Negation my own spell, because I'm not a loving grinder tryhard piece of poo poo. Killing yourself is the ultimate casual.

This but unironically by piloting amulet combo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

They just...did?

In modern.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

What deck are you playing in modern Steven? I like your style.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

always be closing posted:

What deck are you playing in modern Steven? I like your style.

I haven't actually played modern since September, but IRL I play RUG control. The Huntmasters should probably be Obstinate Baloths right now, but I don't own foil Baloths, so ehhhh. I'd switch to RUG Delver if Stifle was a thing. Then I just need the counters and the cantrips (aka the things that make legacy RUG Delver good) and I'll have my legacy deck in modern. I also play mono-U Tron, where my favorite card is sideboard Trickbind. I got some Russian copies at GPNJ. :getin:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

suicidesteve posted:

100% unironically this. Everyone acts like it's so bad right now, but I've still won every game where I opened with double Hymn, and most of the games where I started with even a single copy.

Who acts like Hymn is bad? I thought everyone agreed it was way too strong and miserable to play against.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Now this post is correct.

Well that's fine and all because you are entitled to your opinions.

Despite them being wrong.

Edit: If it makes you feel better, the cards in my U-Tron deck that had a print in Mirrodin are the Mirrodin print. Except the
Islands. Same with Scars. Maybe I should just keep to trend and get the NPH Butterskill anyway. I'll do it for you because I like your style.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 16, 2014

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Who acts like Hymn is bad? I thought everyone agreed it was way too strong and miserable to play against.

Hymn is pretty bad in the current formats due to treasure cruise being so strong. Same for lili.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Partial Octopus posted:

Hymn is pretty bad in the current formats due to treasure cruise being so strong. Same for lili.

I miss playing cascading BUG. That deck was really fun to play. Sometimes it shits out a free Goyf, sometimes it shits out a vision when you already had a full grip. :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hymn is kind of awesome in every format, even Vintage.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I mean it's easier to recover from Hymn than it ever has been before, but it's not intrinsically bad.

Lilliana is objectively worse for sure, turning her +1 into giving opponent a Lotus Petal is a definite downside even if she's still great vs. creatures.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I miss playing cascading BUG. That deck was really fun to play. Sometimes it shits out a free Goyf, sometimes it shits out a vision when you already had a full grip. :allears:

We were playing different decks. Mine only ever gave me a Brainstorm, my 3rd Deathrite, or a Visions for 3 lands. One time Visions gave me 2 lands and a Brainstorm, so that was nice. And just because people say something is bad doesn't mean you can't play it. I still jam Hymns and they're still fantastic. That guy made top 8 the other week with Shardless.

Partial Octopus posted:

It trades 2 random cards in their hand for less than 1 random card from their deck if they have the right card. I'll take that any day.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

We were playing different decks. Mine only ever gave me a Brainstorm, my 3rd Deathrite, or a Visions for 3 lands. One time Visions gave me 2 lands and a Brainstorm, so that was nice. And just because people say something is bad doesn't mean you can't play it. I still jam Hymns and they're still fantastic. That guy made top 8 the other week with Shardless.

It trades 2 random cards in their hand for less than 1 random card from their deck if they have the right card. I'll take that any day.

Yeah but I mean they can also just brainstorm and hide the good stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well I'm one of the 2 guys who still plays miracles at the store. There used to be lots of miracles players so playing cascade BUG was fun every now and then. now that I have a tabernacle I'll probably sleeve up lands and have fun actually having a conversation with a captive audience while a game takes place in the background. :)

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, perhaps foolishly, I've decided to dip my toe in the water of paper magic after playing alot of the planewalkers games and board games.

I travel alot, so I'd be looking for a way to have maybe 2-3 fun decks to carry with me to play fairly informally all over Europe and the UK. From my DotP experiences I like Green, then Black, then White in terms of colours.

My question is: whats the best way to get started? There seem to be about 50 different types of packs available, and I don't know, for example, if Commander is a commonly enough played variant to be worth buying a box of it. I can get a small starter pack from DotP 2015 I think, but I dunno if there is any colour that's particularly recommended to get/has a particularly good starter pack?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Stumiester posted:

So, perhaps foolishly, I've decided to dip my toe in the water of paper magic after playing alot of the planewalkers games and board games.

I travel alot, so I'd be looking for a way to have maybe 2-3 fun decks to carry with me to play fairly informally all over Europe and the UK. From my DotP experiences I like Green, then Black, then White in terms of colours.

My question is: whats the best way to get started? There seem to be about 50 different types of packs available, and I don't know, for example, if Commander is a commonly enough played variant to be worth buying a box of it. I can get a small starter pack from DotP 2015 I think, but I dunno if there is any colour that's particularly recommended to get/has a particularly good starter pack?

If you really want a lot of decks and don't care about playing in the tournament formats, I'd consider the Duel Deck Anthology.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stumiester posted:

If you're familiar with the Duels of the Planeswalkers game, you're probably interested in designing a deck of your own. Use https://magiccards.info to search for cards, design a deck you'd like to play, and post it in the Brewhaus thread. Starter packs are fun, but ordering a custom deck online from Star City Games or Troll and Toad is not too difficult.

Angry Grimace posted:

If you really want a lot of decks and don't care about playing in the tournament formats, I'd consider the Duel Deck Anthology.

That's over $100, I don't think it's the best way to get started.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Two guys came in to my store yesterday and kept asking people if they had Extended decks. They wouldn't listen when another judge and I tried to explain what Modern was, they just really wanted to play Extended with more people.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does extended even officially exist anymore?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

It hasn't been a sanctionable format for over a year at this point, and was basically dead when Modern replaced it at the premier level.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder what an Extended meta would look like today. It was defined as the last seven years of cards, right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Ban Modern, make Wizards stop trying to sculpt formats when they're the brains behind printing Deathrite and Abrupt Decay in the same set and go on to put Ancestral Recall at common, support Legacy, the Best Format. Protip: Daze and Force of Will tend to make formats balanced by slapping goofy poo poo before it gets out of hand.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

It is in the Tournament Rules as a sanctioned format, so it technically exists? Or I might have an old version of the tournament rules, but I doubt there's been an update in that kind of thing, only thing I can recall is the FNM change in formats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ban Modern, make Wizards stop trying to sculpt formats when they're the brains behind printing Deathrite and Abrupt Decay in the same set and go on to put Ancestral Recall at common, support Legacy, the Best Format. Protip: Daze and Force of Will tend to make formats balanced by making people play blue.

:agreed:

But no seriously Modern is a format that needs to exist in some capacity but it as well as anything that isn't standard and somewhat legacy since they use legacy as a vehicle to push supplementary product is pretty much not relevant to wizards.

Personally I like Modern because I love arcbound ravager and pyromancer's ascension.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 16, 2014

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
As someone who just started playing again I had an issue like that. Though the biggest problem I had was the change to the legend rule and new mechanics. I also remember telling someone thoughtsieze, dig and treasure cruise were poo poo. Now I wish that I never sold out all of my cards back when 8th droped

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Chamale posted:

Counter argument: if you sell the tutor it's really only like 30-40 for 8 decks and a lot of cross format playablea.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ban Modern, make Wizards stop trying to sculpt formats when they're the brains behind printing Deathrite and Abrupt Decay in the same set and go on to put Ancestral Recall at common, support Legacy, the Best Format. Protip: Daze and Force of Will tend to make formats balanced by slapping goofy poo poo before it gets out of hand.

MaRo's stated plenty of times that his only concern when designing sets is Standard, and if something gets printed that's too good for Modern, they'll just ban it. Seems like a pretty clean policy.

Wizards doesn't really care about Legacy, which is why it will remain fun as heck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tonetta posted:

Counter argument: if you sell the tutor it's really only like 30-40 for 8 decks and a lot of cross format playablea.

The MSRP is $100 but it's retailing for $130 at most places, so if you sell the Demonic Tutor you've spent $110 for 8 decks. Maybe Stumiester wants to spend $110 for 8 decks, or maybe he wants to make 1 or 2 homemade decks for less. Or maybe he wants to spend $18,000 on a Vintage deck and dive right in, his call.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Extended might not be real anymore, but you can still have it be your FNM format :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

It wasn't clear to me whether he wanted to "get started" on building up FNM decks or just wanted some fun decks to play with. If you just want some fun decks to crash against each other, I think its a really good product. $100 is not very much in Magic-speak - the bog-standard Abzan midrange deck is still $500.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

It wasn't clear to me whether he wanted to "get started" on building up FNM decks or just wanted some fun decks to play with. If you just want some fun decks to crash against each other, I think its a really good product. $100 is not very much in Magic-speak - the bog-standard Abzan midrange deck is still $500.

But if you're not concerned about formats, a casual player can make a $20 deck that competes very well against any other casual player. People who actually read and write about Magic strategy online are a small subset of Magic players, so don't think of this thread as typical Magic players. There are many typical Magic players who like to build decks on a budget. Duel decks are a fun starting point, but I don't want to say that $100 is "not very much" and good for someone just starting off.

U/W Heroic or Boss Sligh are the cheapest Standard decks to build, if he wants to get started on FNM. But I think he'd be happy with eternal decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

But if you're not concerned about formats, a casual player can make a $20 deck that competes very well against any other casual player. People who actually read and write about Magic strategy online are a small subset of Magic players, so don't think of this thread as typical Magic players. There are many typical Magic players who like to build decks on a budget. Duel decks are a fun starting point, but I don't want to say that $100 is "not very much" and good for someone just starting off.

U/W Heroic or Boss Sligh are the cheapest Standard decks to build, if he wants to get started on FNM. But I think he'd be happy with eternal decks.
A new casual player doesn't know or own any of the 10,000 existing Magic cards, so they can't necessary from a practical perspective build a $20 deck. And yeah, I was assuming he wasn't a Spike-y player.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

A casual player doesn't know or own any of the 10,000 existing Magic cards, so they can't really build a $20 deck. And yeah, I was assuming he wasn't a very Spike-y player.

Casual magic players don't own any cards? What do they play with then?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Casual magic players don't own any cards? What do they play with then?
If you were following this conversation rather than picking out random phrases to complain about, you'd notice the guy in question doesn't have any cards.

But hey, I edited it to say a "new casual player." Just for you!

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 16, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chamale posted:

pauper, you can play so many fun budget type builds. Maybe not $20 but you can have pauper U control, affinity, a urzatron ramp deck, burn, infect, zoo, ur delver, MBC, storm if you want absolute non-sense. I think if I wanted to build a group of cheap decks to have handy for play sessions for friends this is the route I'd go. To build a stable of decks like 6-8 might run you 100-200ish, but you'd have interesting and powerful decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

A new casual player doesn't know or own any of the 10,000 existing Magic cards, so they can't necessary from a practical perspective build a $20 deck. And yeah, I was assuming he wasn't a Spike-y player.

Stumiester says he'd played DOTP, so I assume he knows a number of cards and has a level of skill at Magic. The Brewhaus is good, casual players who want to build decks must go to the Brewhaus.

Oh, and Stumiester, if you want to get good at Magic the place to start is reading Card Advantage: A Brief Overview and then Who's the Beatdown? (or the 2012 remake)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

Stumiester says he'd played DOTP, so I assume he knows a number of cards and has a level of skill at Magic. The Brewhaus is good, casual players who want to build decks must go to the Brewhaus.

Oh, and Stumiester, if you want to get good at Magic the place to start is reading Card Advantage: A Brief Overview and then Who's the Beatdown? (or the 2012 remake)

I suppose we're all assuming a lot about what this guy wants. All of them are valid suggestions depending on our own assumptions about the guy's single post and who he's gonna play with, where he's gonna play, etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If anyone played extended today, how far back would it go? Innistrad thru Khans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

If anyone played extended today, how far back would it go? Innistrad thru Khans?

At one point it was mirrodin block through zendikar block (thopter depths had jace and chrome mox) which is like 7 blocks.

Khans is 5 blocks (Zen, Scars, Innistrad, RTR, Theros, Khans) after zendikar so it would go back to Alara or so (Mirrodin, Kamigawa, Ravnica, TSP, Lor/SHM, ALA).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread