Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
This thread is about ELITE:DANGEROUS and the previous Elite games.
Please try to avoid discussing certain other space-sims so this thread won't have to be gassed as well!

:siren: IT'S OUT!!! Go get it here: https://store.elitedangerous.com/ :siren:

Current Release: 1.3

Highlights in the latest update:

Powerplay added
Playable ship Imperial Courier added
Playable ship Diamondback added
Power map views added to galaxy map
Added power information and action screens
Power specific ship modules added
Power specific ambient traffic added
Spawn AI to hunt player if they defect
Power specific goods and actions added
Cargo/Mining chunk collection drones added
Fuel transfer drones added
Prospector drones added

Full Changelog

If it downloads really slow, try this:

Either in IE or Network/Sharing Center -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings button -> Uncheck "Automatically detect settings"

"I don't know why that works but it does."

(Even though the initial release is out, the game is still under development and more content will be added)

You can get the game right here: https://store.elitedangerous.com

Official Elite:Dangerous BETA Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9io7bFR64

'Capital ship trailer' with added PROPER soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2VgApQ0joY

Cinematic (NOT GAMEPLAY) Trailer (with PROPER soundtrack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMjgkV1g1I

Play with Goons!

Here's a list of Elite Goon Commanders you can add as friends in the game: The Elite Goon Commanders Club

And to sign up to this exlusive goon club, click here: I hereby sign over my soul to the Elite Goon Commanders Club

SA-threads for goons wanting to play with goons:

(Guild Navigators Trade Union)

(Aimless, Penniless, Harmless. Let's get organized.)

Come and hang out with the Goon Commanders in IRC: #EliteDangerous @ synirc.net | http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

Talk to other goon commanders while playing or if you're just feeling lonely and want someone to talk to, we also have a mumble server: GET READY TO MUMBLE!!!

You can also join the 'reticulated splines' mumble server, which mostly consists of NA goons:

Reticulated Splines
vx38.commandchannel.com
Port 31463

And make sure you atleast once visit the Mecca of Goons:

Big Harry's Monkey Hangout

Watch Goons play (twitch-channels, youtube channels etc.)

Watch SpaceTexas regulate here: SpaceTexas twitch channel

Help! I don't know how to fly a spaceship! (or play the game)

Well check out some of these helpful links:

Official Quick Start Guide

Tips for Getting Started
Thanks to Kenshin and Galaga Galaxian!

CMDR Club
Useful site to plan your routes

Official Video Tutorials:

Elite: Dangerous Pilot Training - Basic Flight Controls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crL9H_Vx68Y

Elite Dangerous Pilot Training: Basic Combat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBcSqCOatiY

Elite: Dangerous Pilot Training - Docking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAoY7kw2NM

Elite: Dangerous Pilot Training - Travel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCIloJa2vS4

Elite: Dangerous Pilot Training - Galaxy And System Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H89hHj5LFvI

Elite: Dangerous Pilot Training - Starport Services
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnA7nOvolFY

in-game screenshot of CMDR Peter Gabriel rocking his sweet Cobra

Other Helpful/Interesting Links:

The traders Bible:

The official Frontier Elite Dangerous Forums

Frontier Design Discussion Archive

[url]=http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki]Elite Dangerous Wiki[/url]

Elite Galaxy - A website dedicated to beautiful screenshots from the Elite Universe

Elite Forums Tracker - For the latest Dev posts

A lit of Elite:Dangerous Newsletters #1 - #35 :
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=433442358&highlight=#post433442358
(thx Sexual Lorax)

Ian (The dude who together with David Braben wrote the original Elite game) Bells website:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/index.htm

More Vids:

Live-demonstration Multiplayer engagement against imperial interdictor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GxJbOMaXa0&t=3194s

E3 2014 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISR4ebdGlOk

What is referred to as the 'Isinona manoeuvre' :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Screenshots:

What are the main features of "Elite: Dangerous"?

• A Scientifically accurate 1:1 scale, fully Seamless Milky Way galaxy using a mix of procedural generation with artist direction - practically limitless generated star systems (400 billion) according to current scientific data, with additional cosmic phenomena like black holes, supernovas, etc. It will also have specially handcrafted overrides for stars and planetary objects that we know and love. For example, our solar system with Earth, Moon and Mars, other systems with recently discovered planets, etc.

• Free-form Interplanetary flight - fly freely trough star systems in realistic scale, or use in-system hyperjumps to get to your destination. Travel to vista points to see Earth rise on the moon, or sun appearing behind of Mars. Explore the vast expanse of space and discover new points of interest in star systems.

• Free-form play - you can choose your own destiny - be a Bounty Hunter, Long Hauling Space-trucker or explorer, enroll in military to protect your kind, be a spy, or mix between these roles. There are no classes or skill levels - it is up to you to improve yourself, and to get better ships with more advanced weapons.

• An Immersive Evolving Galaxy with Dynamic Society, Economy and Stories - join other pilots and together change story of the Milky Way. All your actions, be it mass-multiplayer or singleplayer will change history of human kind. Join in breaking blockades, battle pirates, or attack enemy positions and installations - leave your mark whatever you go.

• Both Multiplayer and Single Play (Single Play is still online but without any other players)

• Choose Between several different ships, and customize both Loadouts and Appearence.

• Support for Track IR and Occulus Rift

Goon Created content:

Drake_263' ship reviews:

Falcon DeLacys 'Sidewinder'

Falcon DeLacys 'Cobra Mk III'

Zorgon-Petersons 'Hauler'

Core Dynamics 'Eagle'

Lakons 'Type-6'

What is "Elite: Dangerous"?

Elite was the genre defining open world space simulator released in 1984. It spawned 2 sequels Frontier: Elite 2 (1993) and Frontier: First Encounters (1995) aka Elite 3, which already attempted to simulate a realistic Milky Way galaxy with seamless freeform interplanetary and atmospheric flight and landing on moving planets. Elite: Dangerous is the 4th installment of the game. 'Dangerous' refers to the 3rd best Elite Rating you could achieve during combat in the Elite games. In the new game it has been expanded to include more than combat.

It's up to you how you want to play, whether you want to be a Bounty Hunter, Pirate, Trader, Smuggler etc.

Elite Dangerous is partially funded by a successful kickstarter Campaign.

On what platforms will "Elite: Dangerous" be released?

PC and Mac has been announced so far.

There is also a iphone-app on the appstore for checking in on your Elite-status while you're on the shitter.

When will it be out?

IT'S ALLREADY OUT! GO GET IT!

Mac version will follow shortly after that.

Do i need a joystick to play this?

NO!

You can play this with mouse and keyboard or even with a gamepad, but as with most space/flight-sims - a lot of people prefer using a joystick/HOTAS.

If you're thinking about getting one, remember that they come in various price-levels and your choice should depend on how much you are willing to spend and how many/which games you are going to use it for.

If you're looking for something cheap you might want to check out the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, while if you are looking for some serious gear to use for other space/flight-sims as well - you might want to look at a Thrustmaster warthog Hotas. Also, this thread is full of goons with love for sticks, so if you have questions - just ask!

Anyways here's a list of joysticks/HOTAS in no special order:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick

Saitek X-52 (has very good default bindings for Elite)

Saitek X-52 pro

Saitek X-55

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster 16000M

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS

CH Products Fighterstick Pro and Throttle

Defender Cobra M5 (Russian made - might be a bit harder to find)

> 'Rotation Confusion' says this about joysticks. <

Previous Elite Games:

ELITE (1984)

Elite was the first open world space simulator released originally on the BBC Micro in 1984, written by David Braben and Ian Bell. The game's title derives from one of the player's goals of raising their combat rating to the exalted heights of "Elite". The player takes control of "Commander Jameson" and it's up to the player to decide what kind of career to pursue, such as piracy, trade, military missions, bounty hunting and asteroid mining. The money made from these missions can buy weapons and upgrades for your ship.

Elite was a very big game for it's time and a lot of never seen before techical innovations. The Elite universe contains eight galaxies, each galaxy containing 256 planets to explore. Because of the limited memory budget at the time, these worlds had to be precurally generated and the entire game is programmed in assembly. Elite was a huge hit and has been ported to several other platforms such as Apple II, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, NES and the kids favorite - the Tatung Einstein.

A pretty comprehensive list of all the ports can be found here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/AFE_FAQ3

Frontier: ELITE II (1993)

Frontier:Elite II is the first sequal to Elite. The game plays very much like its prequal but has realistic physics and a accurately modelled galaxy. Just like in Elite, the game doesn't have a plot or a storyline, but the player is free to do what he feels like. The player can also get a better ship by making money in a number of legal or illegal ways. The game replaces the Elite's arcade flying style for a model based on newtonian physics, but a autopilot can be used for docking and navigation. Stars and planets also had realistic gravity, which can be used to do slingshot maneuvers around them. The players could also now land on planets and dock in space stations to the tones of the classical piece 'The Blue Danube'.

The graphics was very advanced for it's time, and the PC version was using curved polygons and texture mapping. The game was huge, containing millions of stars and planets made possible by procedural generation. And the original version for Amiga was entirely written in Assembly and was published on a single floppy disk.

The game was generally well recieved even though it was launched with a few bugs. Since the games development had been running over its deadline Gametek insisted on publishing it before it was finished. It has been released on Amiga, Amiga CD32, Atari ST and PC.

[Will add more info about E:D and the previous Elite games here]

Bloody Wanker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ahahaha, I started in the actual real existing Gliese-system, now this is fantastic! First trip from my little industrial outpost to an actual station: Success. Also, I sold my free Eagle already and used the money to upgrade some internal components. More energy, better FSD, that kind of stuff. After analysing the flow of goods on the galactic map, I carefully decided to buy 4 metric fucktons of tea and will soon start my first interstellar jump.

This game is really fun. :3:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Maybe this thread can be less passive-aggressive than the last one :pray:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Libluini posted:

Ahahaha, I started in the actual real existing Gliese-system

I think all of the systems are real. And all of them with available data have that data mirrored in-game.
It's really drat impressive.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe this thread can be less passive-aggressive than the last one :pray:

Ok. I'll just be aggressive.

The thread title is dumb and stupid. :colbert:

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
If you guys have any ideas, or useful info/links that you feel should be in the OP - gimme a shout!

I'm gonna add a section with the different ships at some point, what they're good at, where to get them and how much they go for.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

For the OP: Under the features header, you still have "For those who want to play in their own galaxy offline single player will also be available." This should probably be removed to avoid confusion/goonrage.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok. I'll just be aggressive.

The thread title is dumb and stupid. :colbert:

YOUR SPORTS TEAM IS INFERIOR TO MY SPORTS TEAM AT THE GAME BALL.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bloody Wanker posted:

If you guys have any ideas, or useful info/links that you feel should be in the OP - gimme a shout!

I'm gonna add a section with the different ships at some point, what they're good at, where to get them and how much they go for.

Maybe mention the Guild Navigators and the Monkey Hangout threads in private servers?

The only thing I was gonna suggest is a ship guide but then you said you were gonna add that, hah. Other than that it's a bit... much, I guess?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Guys I want a ship that can mine, explore, scoop fuel, and have a large loving cargo space. What is the best option for this?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
This game is fun and good but I hope they make it easier to play with friends.

Also good luck to the new folk trying to make money without a free ship to sell back as capital.

Edit: ^^ Probably That Asp.

Antoine Silvere fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 16, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gonkish posted:

For the OP: Under the features header, you still have "For those who want to play in their own galaxy offline single player will also be available." This should probably be removed to avoid confusion/goonrage.

Yeah the op could use sone trimming. I don't think all those videos are really needed (a couple are even posted twice?) and some stuff is out of date.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Guys I want a ship that can mine, explore, scoop fuel, and have a large loving cargo space. What is the best option for this?

Asp.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
What's the worst that can happen in open play? Can you be stuck with a game over "no credits left" situation?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Antoine Silvere posted:

This game is fun and good but I hope they make it easier to play with friends.

It's planned for "early next year."

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How do I uninstall the single player combat training thing?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Knifegrab posted:

How large is large?

The Cobra and Asp should fit for either, for varying degrees of large. However squeezing mining and exploration into the same ship is rough.

Two internal slots for exploration stuff, fuel scoop, mining refinery and cargo bay(s) is stretching things thin, especially if you want shields.

(Edit) loving hell that op is bringing my phone to its knees, even with awfulapp. Save me page 2!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2014

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Yeah but I want it now <:mad:>

When I can see my friends in game it's pretty fun to touch cargo scoops though :wiggle:

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Knifegrab posted:

Dat Asp sounds like the ship for you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

StarMinstrel posted:

What's the worst that can happen in open play? Can you be stuck with a game over "no credits left" situation?

No. Open play is the same as all the other modes only you can run into any other player. However the game is loving HUGE and even in open play unless you stick to the populated areas you can easily play wihtout ever seeing anyone. If you have no money and you blow up, you can take out a loan for insurance (the loan will eat 10% of your profits until it is paid off). If you have hit the max loan limit, wipe your save, and go back to your starter sidewinder with 1,000 cr.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Or something that's actually achievable in a reasonable timeframe: Adder. Or rather more accurately, Hauler into Adder. Both Hauler and Adder have Cargo Space, great jump distance and can easily fit a scoop in addition to the cargo. And they don't cost millions upon millions to get and to upkeep.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

My guns seem confused.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

For anyone interested in playing this with a controller, the PS4's Dualshock 4 is hands down the best choice for you. Currently, the DS4Windows software (the DS4 had weird Windows support so someone wrote their own driver/software for it) actually lets you bind 4 different types of touchpad presses and 4 different touchpad swipes. Add to this that the PS button in the center is bindable and that makes 9 extra binds available, none of which I'm currently using but will assign as I find their best use. Plus the price of a DS4 is about the same (or cheaper) than the cheapest HOTAS.

That being said, if anyone is interested in getting a head start on binding their XBox or PS controller, let me know and I'll post my DS4 bind file sometime later today. I feel like it's intuitive and maps out the essential commands appropriately while still leaving wiggle room for your own customization needs. It also has the seal of approval from one (1) other goon who has tried to play with it. As everyone else will probably try to say, if you can manage to get a joystick, play with that instead. I'm at the point now where I wouldn't even want one... but I play with gimbal guns so what do I know.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Knifegrab posted:

(the loan will eat 10% of your profitsincome until it is paid off).

i was wondering a few days ago why mine was already almost gone. every time any money hits your account, the 10% go off.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Or something that's actually achievable in a reasonable timeframe: Adder. Or rather more accurately, Hauler into Adder. Both Hauler and Adder have Cargo Space, great jump distance and can easily fit a scoop in addition to the cargo. And they don't cost millions upon millions to get and to upkeep.

I have an adder, and while it works, it just barely does. I have an adder with a discovery scanner, refinery, and three cargo hulls. I want to get a surface scanner and fuel scoop which should leave me with about 8 tons of cargo space. Its not terrible but it is a bit disappointing. But yeah I agree the adder is a decent enough temporary step. All things considered is there anything else I would need for my "complete explory/mining build":

-Adv. Discovery Scanner
-Adv. Surface scanner
-Refinery (most bins possible)
-Mining laser
-Fuel scoop
-Cargo space (the more the better).

Is this everything, or am I missing/forgetting about something. I don't need shields, I like to live on the edge.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Well yeah, if you want all that poo poo on there then of course you'll need an expensive ship with more slots for components.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

grilldos posted:

Well yeah, if you want all that poo poo on there then of course you'll need an expensive ship with more slots for components.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Anything new and exciting in the changelog for launch?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

That being said, if anyone is interested in getting a head start on binding their XBox or PS controller, let me know and I'll post my DS4 bind file sometime later today. I feel like it's intuitive and maps out the essential commands appropriately while still leaving wiggle room for your own customization needs. It also has the seal of approval from one (1) other goon who has tried to play with it. As everyone else will probably try to say, if you can manage to get a joystick, play with that instead. I'm at the point now where I wouldn't even want one... but I play with gimbal guns so what do I know.

Post away. My wife wants me to move my rig back into my living room for streaming purposes, which means no more PC chair/room for Joystick/throttle. I guess I'll make use of the second PS4 controller I have since the other adult in the house refuses to touch video games.

For miner/Explorer:

|- Sidewinder (Sell free eagle, upgrade to multi-cannons) Profit off of bounty kills
-> Adder (Slightly more expensive than hauler, worth the extra hour of cr grind)
-> ASP (dat asp.. :circlefap:)

Edit: My mobo has a blutooth receiver/transmitter on it. Can I bind the PS4's controller to that or will I have to be wired?

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rime posted:

Anything new and exciting in the changelog for launch?

Nope. Just a few crash fixes. They probably wanted to try to get as smooth a launch as possible and didn't want to risk unanticipated bugs.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Elite: Dangerous -ASP and Titties, ASP and Titties, ASP ASP, Titties Titties.

:v:

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nope. Just a few crash fixes. They probably wanted to try to get as smooth a launch as possible and didn't want to risk unanticipated bugs.

I keep crashing the hyperspace tutorial by playing with the map. :v:

Polished my joystick config:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Since I loving suck at OBS and am going to have to get a friend to walk me through setting it up to record a game running in full screen I was unable to record my drunk shenanigans this weekend.

I will be attempting them again this coming Saturday by getting shitfaced around 9pm EST.

Anyone care to join me? I'll be working on the pilgrimage to Big Harry's from LT 15449 after I figure out how horrible of a pilot I am while under the influence.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

grilldos posted:

Well no duh, but I am asking, once I have the asp, is that everything for that build? Are there any extra types of scanners other than discovery/surface? Is there any other components or things that make mining better?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Beginner Bounty Hunting

- Got a pre-order Eagle? Swap the top laser to your other belly hardpoint

- go to a resource extraction zone (found at non-Ice planetary rings) and look for wanted targets (it helps to keep an eye out for laser fire).

- I personally recommend vetting your targets, check their faction in the contacts window. Use the status menu to check the local factions. If one's government type is "unfettered" that is a criminal/pirate faction and those are the best ones to hunt. They all have bountied.

- Cash-in regularly! You lose all bounty claims if you die. To cash-in you have to visit the security office tab of the contacts menu of a station aligned with the bounty issuer.

- Upgrade! My priority reccomendations would be: a third gun, power reactor/distributor improvements, and a kill warrant scanner. If you're in a sidewinder, upgrade to an Eagle ASAO.

- A kill warrant scanner can make you more money by checking if your target is wanted in other jurisdictions. Its bound and fired like a weapon and you have to keep the target in front if you. A scan takes 10 seconds, better scanners have a longer range.

- It is illegal to attack a "Clean" target even if they're wanted elsewhere. The exception I'd anarchy systems where everyone is "clean" because there are no laws.

- Rockets! A Class 1 dumbfire rocket launcher costs 30-40k but can be helpful for punching above your weight. A single rocket will take a large chunk out of a sidewinder or eagle's hull % and will still hurt a cobra decently. Its handy for making sure you get the kill-blow. Aim well though, you only get 24 rockets and each costs 250 credits. Use them when the target's shields are down, their damage vs shields is weak.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Additional Bounty Hunting tips:

Seriously, resource extraction points! So much fun.
Feel free to break all the laws you want in Independent systems, no one care's but the Independents! Just don't poo poo where you eat, unless it's an Anarchy, and then do whatever you want.
Last hit gets the bounty, so you'll probably want to save up your charge for that last volley - if you run out of power when the enemy has 1% left, you're probably not gonna land the finishing blow unless it's a one on one fight.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I want to be a pirate will I have to live in anarchy systems? Is it feasible to just be a pirate?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

• A digital download Elite: Dangerous
• Your very own Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location in-game
• Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
• A ‘day one’ ship decal
• A digital players guide
• A digital concept art book

uh did they not include any of this on purpose or is it just me

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
"Being a Pirate" is not something you can do. There is no money to be made doing it. You can kill pirates, but they're NPCs (a player pirate is, at best, barely sustainable).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DatonKallandor posted:

"Being a Pirate" is not something you can do. There is no money to be made doing it.

Lame. I just want to blow people up and rob their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

If I want to be a pirate will I have to live in anarchy systems? Is it feasible to just be a pirate?

It's very feasible, and yeah you should probably pick an "unfettered" faction as your "team" so you've got a safe haven station to visit. Every station is aligned with some group, and when you anger that group, they'll shoot you on-sight and that makes it hard to dock there or fly around that area.

Or, just burn bridges as you truck all over the galaxy. But that makes it hard to know where the black markets are.

DatonKallandor posted:

"Being a Pirate" is not something you can do. There is no money to be made doing it. You can kill pirates, but they're NPCs (a player pirate is, at best, barely sustainable).

Then you're not very good at it. A player pirate needs to keep up with where the current "hot spots" are for mining and trading and know how to properly scout for marks so you can corner them and steal their poo poo. Reddit does a great job at just announcing publicly all sorts of poo poo like "Best Mining Locations" and "GREAT Trade Route". It's also worthwhile (but less so since it was nerfed) to hang out in the systems that generate rare goods.

If this is the life you want, you'll need a cargo scanner and a hatch breaker limpet controller and to get comfortable targeting ship subsystems.

Does it make you as much per minute as other professions? Depends on how lucky you are. But it's fun as hell.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread