Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

euphronius posted:

what was wrong with Destiny? I was thinking about getting it.

It has many rough edges. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and yet I haven't played it in weeks. Many of the rough edges it had on launch have been fixed by subsequent patches, so I'll just talk in general about my big three gripes:

#1: A substantial part of the story/lore exists outside the game. The game has a matching app for iOS/Android/webbrowser called the "Grimoire"; whenever you do something cool in the game, it unlocks a card in your Grimoire, with a little chunk of plot/backstory related to what you did. So, if you do a bunch of poo poo in Destiny, and then read the backstory in the Grimoire, you'll think that the setting (and the limited story thus far) is pretty awesome. If you don't read that poo poo, then you're gonna think "story? what story? i just ran around and shot some mans."

#2: There's not nearly enough storyline content. If you blitz the main missions, you can probably run out of the story content in a weekend. If you sit down and do all the side quests and patrol missions and 3-man group content, it'll take you 2-3 weeks of evenings, and you'll hit the level cap along the way. But even that's not very long. Once you've done that, all that's left is PvP (which admittedly is pretty fun) and taking daily quests to replay those missions for better gear.

#3: Destiny's raid content is a lot of fun (holy poo poo how often do you hear that about an MMO), but much of the player base will never see it, for two reasons:

3a) There's no matchmaking in Destiny for raid content -- only for 3-man. So, you have to find a group through an out-of-game service (i.e. the SA Destiny megathread, or the Bungie forums, or etc) to run with. Most players just won't bother.

3b) Raid content has a gear check; even if you have a group willing to take you along on it, you can't even queue for the raid until you're at least level 26. (Destiny has a soft level cap of 20, and then you gain levels above that by obtaining and wearing gear that has a +level attribute on it.) So before you can even bother finding a group, you've gotta grind the content you've already done to get a set of entry-level raid gear so that you're allowed to queue for the raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

Smite is pretty good.

i disagree but i know a lot of people seem to like it for w/e reason. i'd much rather play dota, but that's because i've been playing it for a decade now and you don't just cut ties with dota

Stux posted:

i think it is the kind of game where the people who like that type of thing will go apeshit over it and everyone else will be like "what?" but because it was bungie people expected too much from it imo. the gun play is really solid and i just treat it like diablo 3, pop on every now and again and play some strikes and a couple of crucible matches then go play something else.

the shooting is alright in pve. i really wanted to like the pvp and tried really hard, but its so hard to hit anyone that i ended up doing what has become my standard in next game shooters, and just running around with my knife out stabbing people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(re: diablo 3) I don't have a console. I was mainly doing it with internet friends/voice chat but we all got bored with it about a month after release. It was easy as poo poo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

What I was getting at was that making the tough choice to blow up the Reapers at the cost of blowing up the newly-sentient Geth as well is about as far Renegade as you can get. You're making the choice to sacrifice others for the greater good.

I mean, Renegade/Paragon is kind of dumb anyway, but

exactly. I was saying that conditioning you to always believe blue is good choice and red is the tough but sometimes wrong (which from a lot of my friends is choices they never really picked) choice feels like a reaper thing so that when it comes to the end, the one to destroy them is coloured red to protect them. whereas becoming a reaper is blue so player instinct kicks in and wheee, you are a reaper.

green is weird because you're forcing everyone to become something else and i dont really like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VideoGames posted:

self preservation of the reapers.
war is about making tough choices, but that who we want saving the galaxy.

the way the game played out for me, it makes a lot of sense.

Leaving the indoctrination theory aside for a moment which is interesting but not really supported, imho, I think Control makes a lot of thematic sense as the Paragon option because the entire galaxy has relied on Shepard to unite them, to mediate conflicts, to bring about the peace that was the original intent of the reaper's programming. So in becoming the reapers himself, Shepard basically ascends to godhood and becomes the alpha and the omega, giver of life and angel of death, as he has continually done over the course of the series. It's weird but I think it fits and also creates an ominous future where the unknowable Machine God ever looms over the sentient races. This, in my opinion, is a coolass setting for a video game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Alain Post posted:

(re: diablo 3) I don't have a console. I was mainly doing it with internet friends/voice chat but we all got bored with it about a month after release. It was easy as poo poo.

release was really bad

it was really really bad. i knew this from playing the open beta weekend, and avoided that mistake. just played the new version on ps4 and its good. i think they changed the pc one for parity, but without controller support for reasons ???

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hubris.height posted:

i disagree but i know a lot of people seem to like it for w/e reason. i'd much rather play dota, but that's because i've been playing it for a decade now and you don't just cut ties with dota

It meets the requirements that icantfindaname is looking for though. DOTA is good, but it goes completely against what he is looking to play.

Alain Post posted:

Did Diablo 3 get good at some point? I played it on release and I don't want to get trolled into playing it again unless there were significant improvements.

Check out Path of Exile as well. I enjoy it more then Diablo III personally, but both games are good on their own merits.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

all 3 major current arpgs (diablo, path of exile, marvel) were trash on release (or beta in poes case) but have massively improved since then

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Leaving the indoctrination theory aside for a moment which is interesting but not really supported, imho, I think Control makes a lot of thematic sense as the Paragon option because the entire galaxy has relied on Shepard to unite them, to mediate conflicts, to bring about the peace that was the original intent of the reaper's programming. So in becoming the reapers himself, Shepard basically ascends to godhood and becomes the alpha and the omega, giver of life and angel of death, as he has continually done over the course of the series. It's weird but I think it fits and also creates an ominous future where the unknowable Machine God ever looms over the sentient races. This, in my opinion, is a coolass setting for a video game.

this could be a very cool reading of it too.

i would like to add to my review of ME3 that there can be this sort of discourse of what is happening in the story and that different readings can happen is a definite plus.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGames posted:

exactly. I was saying that conditioning you to always believe blue is good choice and red is the tough but sometimes wrong (which from a lot of my friends is choices they never really picked) choice feels like a reaper thing so that when it comes to the end, the one to destroy them is coloured red to protect them. whereas becoming a reaper is blue so player instinct kicks in and wheee, you are a reaper.

green is weird because you're forcing everyone to become something else and i dont really like that.

Green is dumb as poo poo and a big handwave because they couldn't figure out how to get where they really wanted to go, yeah.

As far as the indoctrination thing goes, it's difficult to disprove in a "realistic" sense (as in, "this actually couldn't have happened in the game world"- but then again, you can't "disprove" that the whole game isn't a fever dream after Shep dies in the intro either), but if the end was about you trying to see past an illusion that the Reapers have created (not a terrible idea), you'd think that you'd get a narrative payoff for doing so. But you don't, the game ends without going either way, and I don't mean that it leaves it ambiguous- I mean it doesn't comment on it at all.

It doesn't make any dramatic sense, is what I'm saying.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hubris.height posted:

the shooting is alright in pve. i really wanted to like the pvp and tried really hard, but its so hard to hit anyone that i ended up doing what has become my standard in next game shooters, and just running around with my knife out stabbing people.

i liked the pvp but i just ran around as a self resurrecting warlock who could throw grenades around like an idiot and just used the fusion rifle to one shot people. if i can find a dumb way to play a pvp mode i will generally enjoy it.

Alain Post posted:

problem with it at launch was it was really easy, until you hit the last mode then it was loving ridiculously hard. however you had to go through the story 3 times to get there. theyve done away with that and you can just set difficulty from the start and adjust it how you want, with harder difficulties giving more rewards and gear. its really good now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

all 3 major current arpgs (diablo, path of exile, marvel) were trash on release (or beta in poes case) but have massively improved since then

Is Grim Dawn going to be any good? It's been in Early Access on Steam for over a year now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hubris.height posted:

release was really bad

it was really really bad. i knew this from playing the open beta weekend, and avoided that mistake. just played the new version on ps4 and its good. i think they changed the pc one for parity, but without controller support for reasons ???

Diablo is about clicking until you die so gently caress controller support.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

It meets the requirements that icantfindaname is looking for though. DOTA is good, but it goes completely against what he is looking to play.

oh you're right then. smite does meet those prerequisites. carry on

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

however you had to go through the story 3 times to get there. theyve done away with that and you can just set difficulty from the start and adjust it how you want, with harder difficulties giving more rewards and gear. its really good now

I want all future ARPGs to do this. I wish Path of Exile did this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also is Diablo a good game to play with a lovely ping? I might be living out of a hotel for the next half-year or so, because of work.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Diablo is about clicking until you die so gently caress controller support.

the way the implemented it is really good and i enjoy it a lot.

its interesting to me that both diablo 2 and 3 had to wait for an expansion to fix stuff and once they did they became really really good. maybe they can get it right first time for 4

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I said come in! posted:

I want all future ARPGs to do this. I wish Path of Exile did this.

my biggest two problems with path of exile are that a) leveling is a huge pain and b) the crafting system is really cool but you have to invest huge amounts of time and luck to get anything out of it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The devs of Smite, Hi-Rez, are extremely bad and took away my dreams of pure, beautiful speed forever. Now I'm left to crawl in the mud, and I wish them all a swift and entire exile from civilization.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alain Post posted:

Also is Diablo a good game to play with a lovely ping? I might be living out of a hotel for the next half-year or so, because of work.

No, even if you're playing by yourself ping still matters a great deal. Lag really kills this game and makes it real hard to play.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

No, even if you're playing by yourself ping still matters a great deal. Lag really kills this game and makes it real hard to play.

RIP. I thought a lot of it was clientside.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

this is another reason the console version is better, it has offline play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alain Post posted:

If you can bring a console with you then you are fine. On PC everything is server side.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

It doesn't make any dramatic sense, is what I'm saying.

in this case, yeah i can totally agree with this as you're right, its not overtly told.

the indoctrination thing is definitely something i came to via the implications of characters and how events have happened and from reading the codex. it sort of grew in my mind as a reading. a bit like indoctrination itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 3 owns and while it's super uncool to admit this, it's probably my favorite game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D3 was fixed before the expansion hit. BUt yeah, it is really good after the expansion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite game is Doom II: Hell on Earth

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i like that the monk lets you become a punch machine which spits out electric tornados

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Diablo 3 had Diablo 2 size environments. The game world in Diablo 3 is so tiny.

Stux posted:

i like that the monk lets you become a punch machine which spits out electric tornados

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I wish Diablo 3 had Diablo 2 size environments. The game world in Diablo 3 is so tiny.

http://youtu.be/MV06vxAW7bU?t=6m53s

:eyepop:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really go for Doom gameplay mods but here's a dece speedrun of a currently popular one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG74cYIswCY

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

This is a really good favorite game. Mine is probably this too, though to be fair there is so much user made content that its not fair to other games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alain Post posted:

I bought Wolfenstein the New Order last weekend on Amazon, but it didn't come with a Doom beta code. :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a really good favorite game. Mine is probably this too, though to be fair there is so much user made content that its not fair to other games.

I think it's fair. I really think "Doom II" is the ruleset, i.e. the weapon behavior, the monsters, etc. The actual levels in Doom II are kind of rear end, but that doesn't mean it's not a good game system.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Alain Post posted:

How lovely? I have issues from time to time, but unless you're playing hardcore it shouldn't be a big problem. D3 seriously owns right now, it's basically the opposite of what I want in an ARPG but it's just so fun and every character has so many different skills to explode gigantic piles of enemies all at once that I can't help but enjoy it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I bought Wolfenstein the New Order last weekend on Amazon, but it didn't come with a Doom beta code. :(
You had to preorder New Order to get that.

I hope new Doom is as good as New Order.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

They really should just trash all the stuff they did on Doom 4 so far DNF-style and just let Machinegames start fresh on it. They "get it".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Adam Bowen posted:

How lovely? I have issues from time to time, but unless you're playing hardcore it shouldn't be a big problem. D3 seriously owns right now, it's basically the opposite of what I want in an ARPG but it's just so fun and every character has so many different skills to explode gigantic piles of enemies all at once that I can't help but enjoy it.

I don't actually know yet, but hotel bandwidth is usually like 300Mbps in my experience, which kinda sucks.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

They really should just trash all the stuff they did on Doom 4 so far DNF-style and just let Machinegames start fresh on it. They "get it".

Haven't they already trashed it and restarted a couple times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Doom 4 is going to be bad but it doesn't matter because Doom and Doom 2 are infinitely replayable

• Locked thread