Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hope it has slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Yeah, I realize I linked the wrong SaGa game earlier today. Either way, new SaGa games is extremely my poo poo.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

EmmyOk posted:

The music sounds really good too, especially the bit starting at 1:05 when the small airships fly over the city.

Every time that piece of music plays, all I can hear is the Song of Storms from the Zelda games.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Am I dead inside? This trailer even when it was in Japanese failed to evoke any kind of grandiose into me. Guess I was expecting a trailer that's a bit more movie like I guess. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still like the trailer.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Beef Waifu posted:

I still like the trailer.

That's cool. I'm not saying you can't like. Just for me personally, it felt disjointed and personally failed to get me interested. I'm going to go watch some of the trailers for the older games for comparison.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo Terra just busted out Kefka's Goner/Forsaken skill with R. GROUP this is the best.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I decided, for some unfathomable reason, to try the FF13 PC port and very quickly ran into the brick wall that is Squeenix's controller support. Far as I can tell the following holds:

- Raw input rather than XInput.
- Control axes are locked to whatever axis settings are used by XInput's raw output, which doesn't gel with a lot of older DirectInput controllers.
- Always loads the first controller found, rather than whatever controller you actually set as preferred.

I'm using a PS2-to-USB bridge that along with some help has worked fine for 12 years, but it seems to be totally powerless against the horror that is FF13's input logic. I can't use x360ce since the game doesn't use XInput in the first place. I tried creating a vJoy virtual joystick and rebinding all my axes to work around it, but the game refuses to read from anything but the controller that it can't use. The closest I've gotten to playable is forcing the game to not load any gamepads whatsoever (using, ugh, Pinnacle) and then binding the gamepad to keyboard keys but then I'd need to suffer through digital camera and movement controls.

Am I missing some clever option here? Or is this just a perfect storm of lovely UI decisions?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Are you sure there's no xinput support? If so, that seems like a really, really terrible oversight on their part. Like "why were people complaining about resolution issues when there was no xinput support" terrible.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

bloodychill posted:

Are you sure there's no xinput support? If so, that seems like a really, really terrible oversight on their part. Like "why were people complaining about resolution issues when there was no xinput support" terrible.

XInput controllers are still perfectly readable in raw mode so if you have a physical one it'll work fine. I'm fairly sure that was exactly the use case they tested. It's just that I cannot use x360ce since it works through the XInput API, and that isn't used by FF13 far as I can tell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:qq: Square Enix made a bad port because my jerry rigged DS2 with zero official PC support doesn't work with their game. :qq:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

DrNutt posted:

:qq: Square Enix made a bad port because my jerry rigged DS2 with zero official PC support doesn't work with their game. :qq:

Yes, I am totally devastated that my 14 year-old DirectInput controller isn't working. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to find a workaround if possible. If there isn't one, fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

That's cool. I'm not saying you can't like. Just for me personally, it felt disjointed and personally failed to get me interested. I'm going to go watch some of the trailers for the older games for comparison.

They seem to be more interested in showing off the open world and how the combat (probably) looks than the usual FF trailers which are practically all cutscene stuff and I prefer that honestly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yesss. :unsmigghh:

I am unironically hype for this game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, I am totally devastated that my 14 year-old DirectInput controller isn't working. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to find a workaround if possible. If there isn't one, fine.

There might be, but wouldn't it be easier and more convenient to buy a XBox 360 - which should work natively on Windows without any workaround - or a DS4 controller - which works with little trouble and is quite a bit better than a DS2? Particularly the XBox one (if you don't mind the asymetric sticks) should be cheap and it could even work wireless, couldn't it?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As someone who's never played a SaGa game, do they have a continuous story? Or is it more of an FF, new-world-with-every-game, type deal?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like the FF15 english voices. Glad a main character sounds more like batman and less like 12 year old anime boy

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

CottonWolf posted:

As someone who's never played a SaGa game, do they have a continuous story? Or is it more of an FF, new-world-with-every-game, type deal?

I don't think any of the SaGa games are connected story wise, they all do their own thing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

isn't releasing a half-dead niche franchise on the vita the same as throwing money down the toilet?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

Square Enix filed a trademark for Mevius Final Fantasy back in October—and give yourself a pat on the back if you guessed that it would be a smartphone game. Famitsu’s preview snippet for this week’s magazine issue shares more details on the team behind its development.

December 18 is the anniversary date of Final Fantasy, and to commemorate the occasion, Famitsu got Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi along with Square Enix’s Yoshinori Kitase to talk about the series.

During the interview, Kitase revealed that he’s in charge of the development, along with staff members from main-numbered Final Fantasy games for Mevius Final Fantasy.

While he didn’t go too much into detail, he said that it’s not a remake of the earlier Final Fantasy games, but it will have some sort of relation. Again, Mevius Final Fantasy will be what’s considered an orthodox Final Fantasy title.

As far as staff members go, Yoshinori Kitase is manning the role of producer, while Kazushige Nojima, who helped Yoshinori Kitase write the scenario for Final Fantasy VII, and also worked on VIII, X, and X-2, will be in charge of the story.

Toshiyuki Itahana, who worked on character designs for Final Fantasy IX, Crystal Chronicles, and more recently Final Fantasy Explorers, is in charge of the character designing for Mevius Final Fantasy.

Mevius Final Fantasy will release sometime in Spring 2015 in Japan for iOS and Android.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/16/mevius-final-fantasy-upcoming-smartphone-game-yoshinori-kitase/

It looks like a back to basics JRPG starring Yoshinori Kitase as Producer, Kazushige Nojima as Scenario Writer, Toshiyuki Itahana as Character Designer, and Hironobu Sakaguchi as 'Sir-Not-Working-On-The-Game-But-Still-Appearing-For-The-Photo-Shoot.'

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Szurumbur posted:

There might be, but wouldn't it be easier and more convenient to buy a XBox 360 - which should work natively on Windows without any workaround - or a DS4 controller - which works with little trouble and is quite a bit better than a DS2? Particularly the XBox one (if you don't mind the asymetric sticks) should be cheap and it could even work wireless, couldn't it?

DS3's can also work on a PC with very little work. I've been using mine as PC controllers since I got my PS3 with no issues, you just install a driver, and then set it to emulate a 360 controller and it basically works with everything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sunning posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/16/mevius-final-fantasy-upcoming-smartphone-game-yoshinori-kitase/

It looks like a back to basics JRPG starring Yoshinori Kitase as Producer, Kazushige Nojima as Scenario Writer, Toshiyuki Itahana as Character Designer, and Hironobu Sakaguchi as 'Sir-Not-Working-On-The-Game-But-Still-Appearing-For-The-Photo-Shoot.'

It'll never be localized so who cares

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

It'll never be localized so who cares

Japanese people

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I stopped reading at "smartphone game"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

I stopped reading at "smartphone game"

They never bother to make 3DS or Vita versions either, even though handheld consoles are still really popular over there.

What's worse is they either put the bare minimum amount of effort in for ports, or waste time replacing all the sprites with terrible redrawn ones. They can't even get the Dragon Quest games right, with III missing the monster animations, and VIII being portrait only, and having no voice acting or orchestral music. I would have paid twice what they're charging for a Vita version identical to the PS2 one.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Japanese people

Trademarked in US and Europe, so it's likely to be localized. Square localized most of their mobile RPGs. That said, if it's "premium priced" game as opposed to be F2P, I might bite. Chaos Rings was fairly amusing for the $10 I paid for the game a few years back.

IMO, $10-15 range for games on IOS is ok. $20 might be pushing it but depends on the game. For example if DQVIII had landscape, that would have been a no brainer purchase. Of course it also depends on the game and controls. For example, Shadow Dragon and Icewind Dale play pretty well on iOS, so does Dragon Quest IV. FFV and FFVI issues are all Square and nothing to do with platform.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Attitude Indicator posted:

isn't releasing a half-dead niche franchise on the vita the same as throwing money down the toilet?

Niche JRPGs do pretty well on the vita actually.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

they're like the entire reason to own a vita though

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Fungah! posted:

Also the issue is if the game is at least demands a modicum of performance and decent sort of visual imagery then 3DS is out of the question. Console sales are non-existing. So that leaves Vita for a decent sort of non F2P game with maybe a follow up port to iOS (or reverse). If dev can budget so the game is profitable around say 80-100K, that can be done on the Vita. While Vita hardware sales suck, anecdotally, there is a decent amount of sales going on, especially digitally (in the West).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fungah! posted:

You heard it here first folks, the entire reason to own a vita is to be a toilet :smug:

Also I only ever played one of the PS2 era SaGa games and boy was it really bad. Did I just start on a bad one or is it just not for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also squeenix has been one of the few companies that supports the PSTV with its vita releases, so I might buy one of those if this game does get a release. Fuckin falcom refuses to let ys games run on it!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You heard it here first folks, the entire reason to own a vita is to be a toilet :smug:

Also I only ever played one of the PS2 era SaGa games and boy was it really bad. Did I just start on a bad one or is it just not for me.

Well, if it was the one where you move around a board game thing and use roulettes to pick attacks, then yes. You picked the bad one.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

There were 2 SaGa games released for the PS2 so there's a 50/50 chance it was the Bad One. There are people here that were considering LPing it and decided against it because they thought they couldn't make it interesting if they tried.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Romancing SaGa is an amazing game, if you have the patience to read FAQs on how the mechanics work. Because the game certainly won't explain them to you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsieurChoc posted:

Romancing SaGa is an amazing game, if you have the patience to read FAQs on how the mechanics work. Because the game certainly won't explain them to you.

This is the one I played. Boy that was a piece of poo poo game. I really should try one of the goods ones, but I kinda just don't want to ever.

I guess I know how my friend feels because the only jRPG's he's ever played are FF3 DS and Tales of the Abyss.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

This is the one I played. Boy that was a piece of poo poo game. I really should try one of the goods ones, but I kinda just don't want to ever.

I guess I know how my friend feels because the only jRPG's he's ever played are FF3 DS and Tales of the Abyss.

Unlike FF, no SaGa game is the "right SaGa game to play" because even the best ones are loving weird and hard to get into even for JRPG's. Fun as hell if you do, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Unlike FF, no SaGa game is the "right SaGa game to play" because even the best ones are loving weird and hard to get into even for JRPG's. Fun as hell if you do, though.

Actually, it's Saga Frontier 2.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, it's Saga Frontier

Play the one that lets you be a superhero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, it's Saga Frontier 2.

That's a funny way to spell SaGa 2. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Ever SaGa game is the worst game in the series.