Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

bobmarleysghost posted:

if you're bad at imagination.

I definitely am, which is why my preferred outlet for visual expression is using a camera to make pictures of things that already exist.

I'll dick around with the grid lines. I just think it's a weird thing to have when the camera is capable of capturing a wider image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mung Dynasty posted:

I definitely am, which is why my preferred outlet for visual expression is using a camera to make pictures of things that already exist.

I'll dick around with the grid lines. I just think it's a weird thing to have when the camera is capable of capturing a wider image.

Don't have an iPhone, but at least on all my Android phones, 16:9 pictures are actually lower resolution than 4:3, because they're essentially just pre-cropping the image.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
If you were buying a new cell phone with the camera being the most important feature, which phone would you get and why? I'm in the market for a new phone and since I only do the basics (Facebook, text, and web) pretty much any phone nowadays will work. What I'm finding is that I don't bring my real camera with me enough so the next best thing would be my phone.

Assuming cost is no object, what phone has the "best" camera?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
iPhone 6+ with its optical image stabilization maybe.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

nexxai posted:

If you were buying a new cell phone with the camera being the most important feature, which phone would you get and why? I'm in the market for a new phone and since I only do the basics (Facebook, text, and web) pretty much any phone nowadays will work. What I'm finding is that I don't bring my real camera with me enough so the next best thing would be my phone.

I really liked the cameras on the higher end Lumia WP phones. It's what I'd go with if my carrier had them.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Honestly the differences between the flagship phones are getting smaller and smaller. OIS is baked into almost all the hugephones (Note 4, G3, iPhone 6+), most have some kind of fancy new autofocus system, a couple have dual-LED flashes (still terrible) and the image quality is basically the same except maybe the Lumia 1020 with its 40 megapickle sensor.

I'd personally go with either the iPhone 6/+ because of the amount of camera apps available (though Android really isn't that far behind anymore) or the Z3 for its waterproofing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

nexxai posted:

Comedy Panasonic CM1 option? 1" sensor, limited availability, £899.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Untitled by ninetysevena, on Flickr

Untitled by ninetysevena, on Flickr

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

nexxai posted:

I'm pretty happy with the camera on my Galaxy Note 4. Like the Iphone 6+ it has optical image stabilisation and it really does good things for low light picture quality.
You won't get dslr quality obviously, but it's pretty good.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

The nokia 1020 is great if you don't care about apps too much. I got mine used for about $200. The out of camera/phone JPEG files are good, but the edited RAWs look better. OIS, the flash, and the shutter button are great to have as well.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
Adult tourists always forces the local kids to walk in the muddy ditches!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

goattrails posted:

Adult tourists always forces the local kids to walk in the muddy ditches!

She's actually a local! :keke:

Those kids were actually catching freshwater shrimp or something in the streams later on too.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Pukestain Pal posted:

She's actually a local! :keke:

Those kids were actually catching freshwater shrimp or something in the streams later on too.

Haha it fooled me. White shorts and tshirt, with a bag and a bottle of water. That's a good description of a tourist.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ventura Boulevard / Winter Solstice by khyrre, on Flickr

404notfound fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 22, 2014

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If you're an iPhone user noticing noise in low-ISO, long-exposure photos, and/or wish you could crop the view to 16:9 before hitting the shutter, plus gently caress around with all sorts of settings that aren't available in the stock camera app, allow me to suggest 645Pro. Its gimmick is that it mimics the use of a film SLR. It's got:

SLR-style Shutter and ISO priority modes, an auto mode with exposure stepping to +/- 3 in 1/3 stops, and a 'manual' mode with full ISO and shutter speed control. Live metering shows degree of over/underexposure on a line at the bottom. (If you're looking to reduce noise at slow shutter / low ISO, these features might help when combined with...)

The option to save images as uncompressed TIFFs instead of JPEGs. (This option makes big 20+ MB files and using it a lot will drain your battery, but the improvement in image quality is noticeable.)

(With iOS 8+) manual focus with digital zoom and focus peaking during adjustment. This is awesome for getting focus on a close subject that doesn't fill much of the frame - something that I've found the built-in AF often doesn't want to do.

8 different pre-cropped photo sizes, from 16:9 to 1:1. The viewfinder changes size and shape so you can compose within the dimensions shown.

12 or so different color and b&w 'film' styles, each emulating a specific real-world type, like Kodachrome 25 and Ektachrome 64. You can also create custom 'film' profiles.

So all in all a great camera app for iPhone. If I could have only one 'enhanced camera' app, 645 would be it. (Of course, if anyone knows of something even better, I'd love to hear about it.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Piazza San Pietro by alkanphel, on Flickr

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My Nokia takes pretty terrible pictures but these two turned out ok.

Hood 2015 by sporklift, on Flickr

Hood 2015 by sporklift, on Flickr

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

From a hike a few months back. Taken using the photo sphere setting.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Stairs by alkanphel, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

2015-01-14 02.50.47 2 by Geektox, on Flickr

2015-01-08 06.38.35 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

2015-01-14 02.50.40 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

2015-01-15 11.42.53 1 by khyrre, on Flickr

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Had a company all-hands meeting at Levi's Stadium yesterday :buddy:

Levi's Stadium by khyrre, on Flickr

Levi's Stadium by khyrre, on Flickr

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

2015-01-31 05.06.00 3 by Geektox, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can I edit photos in landscape mode in VSCO Cam on iPhone?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

20150208_160042 by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jellyfeesh

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

2015-02-23 05.50.06 1 by khyrre, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is this the Instagram thread? Do we have one of those?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is this the Instagram thread? Do we have one of those?

Instagram is as fine here as it is anywhere.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cabling, Venezia Santa Lucia by alkanphel, on Flickr

Chairs, Venezia Santa Lucia by alkanphel, on Flickr

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I like this a lot. Looks like a photo from a cheap cartridge camera.

d2 by sporklift, on Flickr

d2 by sporklift, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Three Pigeons by alkanphel, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Odeon, Point Village, Dublin by Quantum of Phallus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013