Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

xan felt like a gyp to me because his unique gimmick of having a (dagger disguised as a) sord as a mage is counterproductive in the early levels where he walks into melee range and gets murdered despite protections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meowbot posted:

I played baldur's gate back when it was 7 CDs and it was pretty awesome but I got rape by wolves for like weeks straight before I figured out how to play and think I finally beat it but I was like 13 at the time.

I got the icewind dale on tablet and I just don't know if I can play this game with touch controls. Everything is so tiny and there is some weird thing with my skin where 75% of the time it doesn't register I am touching it. It drives me insane and people don't believe me until I show them. Get a phone call "slide to answer" nope, not happening. In this game it is especially infuriating just because going through the initial creation of characters and get used to the UI I was ready to throw my tablet across the room (and it isn't a small one 8.5 inches )

Is it worth going through the aggravation of touch controls? I have always heard icewind dale is the best infinity game (besides platescape of course). Or is there a way to use it with a controller instead of touch? I imagine the UI sucks immensely without a mouse regardless.
http://www.amazon.com/Cellphone-PLA...ords=tablet+pen

Something like this might help. When I had an iPad I thought it was indespensible for Draw Something.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Skwirl posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Cellphone-PLA...ords=tablet+pen

Something like this might help. When I had an iPad I thought it was indespensible for Draw Something.

Thanks, so there is no controller support? I have tremors (shaky hands due to nerve damage) so basically any touching of anything with anything is hit or miss. I might have to try this as an alternative though because I really do want to play icewind dale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meowbot posted:

Thanks, so there is no controller support? I have tremors (shaky hands due to nerve damage) so basically any touching of anything with anything is hit or miss. I might have to try this as an alternative though because I really do want to play icewind dale.

No idea, but unless it's a surface and you're actually playing the windows version, probably not. Beamdog seems to hate letting buyers of pne OS version use another OS.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Xan's lack of evocation can mostly be made up for with BG1's super powerful wands. Dynaheir on the other hand loses two massive schools in enchantment and conjuration, saddles you with Minsc and is boring.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Xan's lack of evocation can mostly be made up for with BG1's super powerful wands. Dynaheir on the other hand loses two massive schools in enchantment and conjuration, saddles you with Minsc and is boring.

First of all, Minsc is the best. Second, enhanced edition allows conjuration. I'll give you enchantment and her being a bit boring.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What would be the least used characters and player class in BG1 and 2 do you think? I'm thinking of doing a Ranger/Cleric run for Ironman, and I should take some of the NPC's I've never used. Safana, Xan, not sure about the others. One of the archers probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

What would be the least used characters and player class in BG1 and 2 do you think? I'm thinking of doing a Ranger/Cleric run for Ironman, and I should take some of the NPC's I've never used. Safana, Xan, not sure about the others. One of the archers probably.

Xzar and Montaran probably don't get used for very long, even if they are heavily recruited early on by new players (given that aside from Imoen they are the first npcs you meet). I'm not an expert in these things but I'm not sure if I've ever read an end of game report where they were in the party.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Faldorn, Eldoth, and Skie all come to mind. I can't even remember the name of the thief in Baldurs Gate.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I haven't played it to endgame, but Ranger/Cleric seems like it would be stupid strong.

Especially in EE where you can wield the Stupifier in the offhand and have a 25% chance per hit to stun your opponent.

Skwirl posted:

Xzar and Montaran probably don't get used for very long, even if they are heavily recruited early on by new players (given that aside from Imoen they are the first npcs you meet). I'm not an expert in these things but I'm not sure if I've ever read an end of game report where they were in the party.

This is a shame, 'cause they're really drat good. It's just there's other characters that are better at what they do. Anything you can do with Montaron and Xzar can be done better with Shar-Teel and Edwin.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I tried running regular BG2 on my laptop on my second monitor but, it hosed up the games resolution to the point its a 20cm x 30cm window. I don't see any options in the in-game menus to adjust resolution, any ideas to fix this?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

I tried running regular BG2 on my laptop on my second monitor but, it hosed up the games resolution to the point its a 20cm x 30cm window. I don't see any options in the in-game menus to adjust resolution, any ideas to fix this?

If it's not EE the resolution mod from gibberlings 3 might help.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd say Alora is the least-used. I've taken Eldoth and Skie at least for their quest but Alora is an average thief late in the game at a point. I've literally never used her. At least Quayle and Tiax are unique (plus Tiax kinda owns with his ghoul summon).

Also Garrick because he's so totally useless.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

fong posted:

Also Garrick because he's so totally useless.

Bards are good in BG1.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bards can be good, yes, but Garrick has appallingly bad stats and poorly chosen weapon proficiencies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bards are good in BG1.

Bards maybe, Garrick no.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

And if by 'good' you mean the weakest of any class except maybe monks and certain kits, then sure.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The statement was "Bards are good in BG1", which is true. Bards level faster than mages, which means any spells that scale with caster level will be stronger. Mages certainly catch up at the end of the game, but for much of the game bards will have stronger casts than a mage will, although not nearly so many casts. They also can make decent archers, at the point in the game when archery is strongest (the very beginning).

Once you hit BG2 you're right, bards without kits look worse and worse, but they have their niche.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

fong posted:

And if by 'good' you mean the weakest of any class except maybe monks and certain kits, then sure.

Bards are among the easiest classes to solo the game with, and do just fine in a party too, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, the base class is weaker than the kits, but that's the same for every class.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Are we talking EE, Tutu or the original here? They've all got somewhat different rules.

Regardless, same can be said for Dynaheir. Wand of monster summoning + Algernons / Nymph's cloak make up for the lack of conjuration and charm spells. You don't get chaos (which i'm not sure were in the original game pre-EE) or any of the more powerful enchantment spells, but then again you're gonna be using 1-3 lvl spells for most of the game anyway.

I'm fine with losing enchantment, Sleep is really useful but there's a wand for it and it loses it's usefulness once most enemies are above HD4. Conjuration was a bigger loss pre-EE, since both Monster Summoning and Melf's Acid Arrow are good spells, but its pretty much only those two. There's other spells for direct damage and you can get a wand for summoning.

So I'd say enchantment & conjuration aren't that big of a deal. It's kind of a bummer, sure, and not the class I'd choose, but still, loads better than losing invocation/evocation.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

So I'd say enchantment & conjuration aren't that big of a deal. It's kind of a bummer, sure, and not the class I'd choose, but still, loads better than losing invocation/evocation.

You can memorize Blind/Spook instead of Magic Missile, and you shouldn't even memorize Fireball, because wands of fire exist. What exactly makes losing out on invocation/evocation a big deal in BG1?

verybad fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 16, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Of course you can make bards work, they aren't bad in the sense that they're unusable or unplayable. But relative to other classes they're bad (except when solo, true)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

verybad posted:

You can memorize Blind/Spook instead of Magic Missile, and you shouldn't even memorize Fireball, because wands of fire exist. What exactly makes losing out on invocation/evocation a big deal in BG1?

Web and Magic Missile are both among the best spells in the game. Useful from the start up until the final fight. So invocation/evocation has both a really good direct damage dealing spell (no save, magic damage & you can get 10 of them memorized. SCS gives all mages prot. from normal missiles, which makes it a bit less useful though) and a really good crowd control spell.

I mean, the game can be played with any class and party composition. No one or two spells or missing on a school is going to make or break the game. I'm just saying, Xan is weaker than Dynaheir, and Edwin or a dual-classed Imoan are better than either.

e: Ive never really used Xzar, and can't remember what spells he misses out on, so I can't comment on his usefulness. What funny about him though is his relatively high Wis score. I mean, the guy's supposed to be batshit crazy :)

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 16, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

Of course you can make bards work, they aren't bad in the sense that they're unusable or unplayable. But relative to other classes they're bad (except when solo, true)

What does that even mean?

Dyna Soar posted:

Web and Magic Missile are both among the best spells in the game. Useful from the start up until the final fight. So invocation/evocation has both a really good direct damage dealing spell (no save, magic damage & you can get 10 of them memorized. SCS gives all mages prot. from normal missiles, which makes it a bit less useful though) and a really good crowd control spell.

I mean, the game can be played with any class and party composition. No one or two spells or missing on a school is going to make or break the game. I'm just saying, Xan is weaker than Dynaheir, and Edwin or a dual-classed Imoan are better than either.

Web is easily replaced with Glitterdust & Magic Missile is mainly useful for removing mirror images, though? I can buy that Xan is weaker than Edwin or Imoen, mainly because MORE SPELLSLOTS & IS A THIEF are both more useful special abilities than HEY I CAN GET OVER 100 FIRE RESIST REALLY EARLY IN THE GAME*, but Dynaheir doesn't actually have anything special going for her.

* this would be really good if Mirror Images actually worked like in the original BG1, ie. without the random chance that the real caster gets hit when there are still images left. Would've made 7 CON Xzan the best tank in the game for the bandit camp.

Dyna Soar posted:

e: Ive never really used Xzar, and can't remember what spells he misses out on, so I can't comment on his usefulness. What funny about him though is his relatively high Wis score. I mean, the guy's supposed to be batshit crazy :)

Losing illusions kinda sucks big time, IMO, but you can dual class him into a cleric with a tome and that's something I've been meaning to try that for a long time.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

verybad posted:

Web is easily replaced with Glitterdust & Magic Missile is mainly useful for removing mirror images, though? I can buy that Xan is weaker than Edwin or Imoen, mainly because MORE SPELLSLOTS & IS A THIEF are both more useful special abilities than HEY I CAN GET OVER 100 FIRE RESIST REALLY EARLY IN THE GAME*, but Dynaheir doesn't actually have anything special going for her.

* this would be really good if Mirror Images actually worked like in the original BG1, ie. without the random chance that the real caster gets hit when there are still images left. Would've made 7 CON Xzan the best tank in the game for the bandit camp.

MM has always been one of my most used spells, as a direct damage dealer that is. One makes like, what, 10-25 damage and you can memorize up to 10. There arent that many lvl 1 spells that remain useful later in the game.

Web has one huge advantage over other crowd control spells: free action or Spider's Bane. Cast two webs & let Minsc go wild while the rest of your party shoots from a safe distance. Oh, and web disables mages, glitterdust still lets them cast defensive spells.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

MM has always been one of my most used spells, as a direct damage dealer that is. One makes like, what, 10-25 damage and you can memorize up to 10. There arent that many lvl 1 spells that remain useful later in the game.

Web has one huge advantage over other crowd control spells: free action or Spider's Bane. Cast two webs & let Minsc go wild while the rest of your party shoots from a safe distance. Oh, and web disables mages, glitterdust still lets them cast defensive spells.

One schorcher from a wand of fire deals something like 12-42 (save for half) two times, and it's got 50 charges. I don't recall ever running out.

Glitterdust is party friendly from the get-go, no need for free action, and there's no save even (though BGEE might've finally changed this). Who cares if a mage is going to refresh mirror images in BG1 after they're blind? You're still gonna pelt him down with archers just the same.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

verybad posted:

One schorcher from a wand of fire deals something like 12-42 (save for half) two times, and it's got 50 charges. I don't recall ever running out.

Recharging a wand costs a lot & there's a save. Two magic missiles cast at a reasonable level make the same damage. But yeah, wands are good, no doubt about it.

verybad posted:

Glitterdust is party friendly from the get-go, no need for free action, and there's no save even (though BGEE might've finally changed this). Who cares if a mage is going to refresh mirror images in BG1 after they're blind? You're still gonna pelt him down with archers just the same.

Well, both spells are effective, we're splitting hairs on which one is better, even a tiny bit :)

I didn't remember Glitterdust had no effect on your party That is a big plus for sure.

And who cares? Well, mages getting to cast protections is gonna drag out the fight, possibly until Glitterdust's 4 rounds is up. Not gonna happen with Web.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

verybad posted:

That all the other classes are better, I'm not sure whats difficult to understand

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

That all the other classes are better, I'm not sure whats difficult to understand

They're better at what?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

verybad posted:

They're better at what?

Everything. I can't think of a party or lineup that wouldn't gain damage or utility by replacing a bard with something else. I'm not talking kits of course.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

CHARNAME Bard, Imoen (Mage-dual), Khalid & Jaheira, Xzar & Montaron (Cleric-dual).

CHARNAME contributes...

lore (saves money/spell slots),
pickpocketing (allowing Imoen to focus on locks/traps and Montaron on stealth/DI/set traps),
spellcasting (let's the party have invisibility memorized early on, before Imoen is dualed & picks up the slack when Xzar duals, highest caster level buffs)
wands (more wand users is always a plus!),
Greagan's Harp (instant cast dominate @ -2 save),
fear immunity with song (helps with Khalid's awful morale & makes a couple of early game fights where the party doesn't have access to remove fear easier, later removes the need to memorize it at all),
good ranged support with the Dead Shot and some magical ammunition.

Which base class would contribute more to the party than bard in this example?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

a medical mystery posted:

xan felt like a gyp to me because his unique gimmick of having a (dagger disguised as a) sord as a mage is counterproductive in the early levels where he walks into melee range and gets murdered despite protections
The update to BG2 engine hasn't been kind to Xan. Until you start finding magic weapons for you fighters, Xan's moonblade outclasses a lot of melee options because +3 is such a monster bonus at those levels mage base THAC0 isn't a huge issue, and original BG protection spells kept him a little safer. The mirror image nerf specifically takes most of the wind out of this sail.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Actually here's another question...what's an interesting type of character to play in BG1 that's not like challenge yourself hard because that class is crappy, but not a usual boring easy class? I've beaten it with a mage before and with a fighter and with an archer-type I think (maybe was a fighter/thief that shot a lot of arrows)...I'd like to try out something else that might be a bit off the beaten path

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The quick casting of magic missile is my go-to for interrupting casters at the beginning of combat. :colbert:

I have never played a solo game. I can't imagine how it is possible with all the items you need, the skills, playing the whole game with zero magic ability if you went pure fighter... how is this done and should I be interested in trying BG1 solo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9axCnf9KWs

that page posted:

In this run I play a level 1 solo wild mage and finish the entire game without pressing the level up button. So I finish all of the fights with just 6HP and no party members. The run took a bit over 2 hours and all of my deaths and gently caress ups and reloads are included.
:stare:

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Levitate posted:

Actually here's another question...what's an interesting type of character to play in BG1 that's not like challenge yourself hard because that class is crappy, but not a usual boring easy class? I've beaten it with a mage before and with a fighter and with an archer-type I think (maybe was a fighter/thief that shot a lot of arrows)...I'd like to try out something else that might be a bit off the beaten path

Skald or stalker. Problem is, the combat is kind of samey and there's like, three different classes really: Tank, ranged and magic user.

BadAstronaut posted:

The quick casting of magic missile is my go-to for interrupting casters at the beginning of combat. :colbert:

I have never played a solo game. I can't imagine how it is possible with all the items you need, the skills, playing the whole game with zero magic ability if you went pure fighter... how is this done and should I be interested in trying BG1 solo?

You just basically abuse the fog of war, the crappy AI and knowing where everything is. Hats off to everyone who solos a wild mage, especially iron man.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK so it's really not something that the game was designed to do - rather, it requires crazy in-depth knowledge of everything and playing in what appears to be a very boring style. I thought you could perhaps play a 'normal' game but because you get so much xp to one character they are that much stronger in combat, etc?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

OK so it's really not something that the game was designed to do - rather, it requires crazy in-depth knowledge of everything and playing in what appears to be a very boring style. I thought you could perhaps play a 'normal' game but because you get so much xp to one character they are that much stronger in combat, etc?

You do level up a lot faster yeah, and the game becomes actually a lot easier by BG2. With mages it turns into Timestop ->Abi-Dalzims or w/e -> Timestop etc. with the occasional summon or breach.

It's a lot more fun soloing iron man imo, otherwise it just turns into a reload fest.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dyna Soar posted:

You do level up a lot faster yeah, and the game becomes actually a lot easier by BG2. With mages it turns into Timestop ->Abi-Dalzims or w/e -> Timestop etc. with the occasional summon or breach.

It's a lot more fun soloing iron man imo, otherwise it just turns into a reload fest.
1) Grab the Robe of Vecna
2) Time Stop
3) Improved Alacrity
4) Cast your entire spellbook in one giant magical spaff session.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Got home and it seems the patch for BG2EE is available? I honestly expected a months long beta since it just was released for testing last week I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Levitate posted:

Nobody ever plays the Druid kits other than Shapeshifter (either to say how bad it is or how poorly balanced it is, depending on if you're in BG2 or BG1).

That's a shame.

The Totemic Druid and the Avenger are 2 solid classes, and since nobody ever uses Cernd it ends up underplayed.

The Totemic Druid: you get seriously badass summons, and EE makes it so that you can choose what you summon rather than just randomly getting a thing. They get better as you level up, too. The high level spirit bear panics the enemy and moves fast as hell. You'll easily be able to harass backliners with it. The spirit wolf either holds or level drains (or both; they have separate saves). The lion and the snake are less useful, in my experience. Point being, it's a wonderful answer to the cleric's animate undead, and your summons actually do stuff rather than just being fodder.

Plus all the summons are immune to electricity, so go nuts spamming lightning in their general direction.

Anyway, send them forward and support them with your bevy of cool druid spells (Call Lightning, Call Woodland Beings, etc.)

Oh, and druids hit level 10 in BG1 so you'll get Insect Plague, aka the "are you a spellcaster? Then gently caress you, you and your entire retinue are ruined by bees" spell.

The Avenger: you don't get the cool summons, but you do get most of the really useful mage spells per level (Chromatic Orb, Web, Improved Invisibility; I wish level 3'd been haste instead of lightning bolt, and while Chaos is good it's not as good as Insect Plague. Also you can cast a bunch of webs, turn into a sword spider, and then go wreck poo poo.

But I really prefer the Totemic Druid.