Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I am reading Simonson's Thor very slowly (like an issue a week) and it's all good, just that I don't have much stamina to power through the run as I could with modern comics.

My preference is done-in-one comic stories that don't have old-school exposition. Today I read an issue of Batgirl (Steph) and Supergirl beating Dracula clones and being BFFs but nooooo we gotta write for trade/build up events...

That issue was so great, and spun out of a surprisingly fun World's Finest mini that focused on how all of the Bat and Super families worked together. Like one issue would have Damien, Kara and Stephanie, another had Nightwing and Nightwing, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

That issue was so great, and spun out of a surprisingly fun World's Finest mini that focused on how all of the Bat and Super families worked together. Like one issue would have Damien, Kara and Stephanie, another had Nightwing and Nightwing, I think.
That World's Finest mini is one of DC's most underrated books of the recent era.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was also a really fun Supergirl/Robin team-up that I'm fuzzy on if it was in that miniseries, or in the actual Supergirl ongoing. (I think it was around the time that Kelly Sue Deconnick was writing Supergirl?) Damien being a pompous sexist little poo poo while no-one took him seriously which was hilarious.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I always took it as Damien having a massive crush on Stephanie, and being ten, so not knowing any way to deal with that other than dialing up the brattiness to 11. And then he tried the same poo poo on Kara (awww, Damien's got a type!) and she picked him up by the scruff of the neck and yelled at him about being respectful to women, because I'm-a-sorta-terrifying-assassin-kid cuts absolutely no ice with an invulnerable Kryptonian.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I always took it as Damien having a massive crush on Stephanie, and being ten, so not knowing any way to deal with that other than dialing up the brattiness to 11. And then he tried the same poo poo on Kara (awww, Damien's got a type!) and she picked him up by the scruff of the neck and yelled at him about being respectful to women, because I'm-a-sorta-terrifying-assassin-kid cuts absolutely no ice with an invulnerable Kryptonian.

I guess Damien's type is the daughters of supervillains. Just like his dad. Multiversity backs this up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I guess Damien's type is the daughters of supervillains. Just like his dad. Multiversity backs this up.
Pre-N52 Kara's dad wasn't, was he?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's not quite accurate. The Galactus story is an "epic" of the time in that it spanned three issues, though the actual length of the story is more like two issues. In issue #48, they wrap up the Inhumans plot and then start the Galactus plot partway through the issue, which continues through to #50, in which it wraps up about halfway through the issue and then moves on to a Johnny-in-College plot. It says a lot regarding the faith Kirby & Lee had regarding the plot that they thought people would stick around for three whole issues to read it all!

The Inhumans initial story was three and a half issues spanning issues 45 through the first half of 48. Guess they were just feeling epic for that half a year. Then they follow those up with two great single issues.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
About the heavy use of text, I heard that early writers had the dialog pretty much tell the whole story because that was how they communicated with the artist and made sure the reader knew what was happening. So, if Batman was getting stabbed, there would be a narration box or dialog pretty much saying "Batman, the main character of this story, got stabbed!"
Along the same line, Black characters has their race in their name so the colorist would know what to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jack Kirby was notorious for forgetting exactly how to draw characters he created, to the point that they had to have little guides on the wall of the Captain America office showing him where the star and big A go because he kept switching it around. So I totally believe that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Given Kirby was drawing six books a month at times, it feels hard to blame him too much for getting mixed up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also how Stan Lee forgot what Bruce Banner's name was at one point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

The initial appearance of Galactus is only half-a-book long. Nowadays something like that would take three full months minimum.

It took Bendis & Bagley 7 issues to do what Lee & Ditko did in 10 pages.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

There was also how Stan Lee forgot what Bruce Banner's name was at one point.

And, of course, who can ever forget:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Do the Guardians of the galaxy comics have as much focus on humor and music as the movie did?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Humor, yes (at least the ones coming out of Annihilation, Bendis' slightly less so), but definitely not music. It's kind of the characters being placed in a dire situation and cracking jokes is the only way to deal with it. I wouldn't exactly call them comedic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, as aforementioned in this thread, a number of early Marvel books would feature two characters, so a lot of early Marvel stories were crazy short. This, of course, wasn't that atypical of the time, a lot of the old monster / sci-fi tales that preceded (and influenced) Marvel superheroes in books like Tales to Astonish also stuffed two stories into a single comic.

This wasn't restricted to Marvel, of course; DC comics usually had multiple 8-page stories at the time. Initially when they did tell only one story in the comic it was touted on the cover as a "book-length epic".

Die Laughing posted:

The Inhumans initial story was three and a half issues spanning issues 45 through the first half of 48. Guess they were just feeling epic for that half a year. Then they follow those up with two great single issues.

And that Inhumans story grew out of an extended Frightful Four story that played out over the course of about a year. Which itself was broken up by a two issue crossover with Daredevil. Really FF #30 to #60 was absolutely revolutionary and all comic nerds should be familiar with those issues.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 17, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rhyno posted:

They condensed the hell out of Clone Saga though.

Hurray?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, but that and however many god damned issues it took for the Ultimate Fantastic Four to get super powers are the 2 largest (pre civil war) black marks against Bendis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, but that and however many god damned issues it took for the Ultimate Fantastic Four to get super powers are the 2 largest (pre civil war) black marks against Bendis.

I honestly love that first year of USM, I was just making a bad point. Really Bendis sets up a ton of poo poo so it's forgivable.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

The team had their powers at the start of the second issue, though, once Reed exposed them all to the Negative Zone? They just didn't really do anything interesting with them until later. In fact, the first 20 issues or so, with a revised third act that brought everything back to Doom instead of skewing off towards Annihilus and The Mad Thinker, would actually make for a pretty decent movie.

But USM was (and still is) one of the slowest books on the market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
USM was allowed to be slow because it was shipping so frequently. At one point it hit 18 issues in a year.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How is that a better option than putting out 12 issues a year with a more tightly-paced story and stronger, more deliberate art? When you can get through the first five arcs in just under two hours, your book doesn't have enough meat to it. But, just the same, I bought it, and they sold a bajillion copies on top of that, so I guess the joke's on me.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

USM was allowed to be slow because it was shipping so frequently. At one point it hit 18 issues in a year.

Was that all under Bagley? Jesus he was a machine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

For 102 issues. He drew everything except the annuals during his tenure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Inkspot posted:

How is that a better option than putting out 12 issues a year with a more tightly-paced story and stronger, more deliberate art? When you can get through the first five arcs in just under two hours, your book doesn't have enough meat to it. But, just the same, I bought it, and they sold a bajillion copies on top of that, so I guess the joke's on me.

Simple answer was money. Shipping 18 books a year makes more money than 12. Marvel are still doing it with the likes of Avengers now, the only issue is they don't have more Bagley's with such a low fi style who can just constantly churn out books.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I admit I don't know anything about how the artist/company relationship works, but my understanding is that it's contractual and most artists do several jobs for more than one company at a time. Does someone like Marvel actually employ artists in-house exclusively on a full-time basis? Now I know some artists work faster than others, but could you theoretically pump out one good-looking issue a week if you had nothing else on the table?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I get the feeling that it's generally much, much harder as an artist (e: penciler/main artist that is) than a writer.
Often writers will have two to four comics releasing a month, while artists will very rarely ever do more than an issue, plus whatever side gig doing covers, commissions, commercial work, etc. Plenty of comics will have artists on rotating arcs so they can catch up.
There probably are examples of writers needing fill-in relief, but I can't think of any. Art on the other hand...

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 17, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

I admit I don't know anything about how the artist/company relationship works, but my understanding is that it's contractual and most artists do several jobs for more than one company at a time. Does someone like Marvel actually employ artists in-house exclusively on a full-time basis? Now I know some artists work faster than others, but could you theoretically pump out one good-looking issue a week if you had nothing else on the table?

Kind of on a full time basis. Like Marvel will give exclusive artists the same way they do writers which depending on the contract can either be for a number of books or a number of months/years. They usually make a big deal about an exclusive artist once a year, Mahmud Asrar I think was the last one and he's been relegated to bouncing between X-Men books. Bagley's deal was just that, he was an exclusive artist and could churn books out quickly for years so Marvel kept him until he got bored/wanted something new and didn't renew his contract at which point DC snapped him up for a while to do Trinity but he quickly burnt out there. Theoretically if you had multiple Bagley's you could keep them on contract and have them churn out 12-18 issues a month, since speed wise those are a rare exception Marvel usually put an artist on exclusivity and then just hire as needed fill-in artists with a similar style to try and give a book a consistent tone and schedule.

I think most monthly comic book artists average at about a page a day (which then needs to be colored, lettered and depending on the artist inked) so the alternative would just to give people more of a lead in on books or actually take breaks but that's not really how the majority of big two comics go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What is/was the explanation for the Inhuman royal family to go around wearing masks? I know Black Bolt wears his costume because it's supposed to help control his power but what about everyone else?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

You'd have to be a god of penciling. Few modern pencilers can maintain a one book a month workload, never mind adding MORE to that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

You'd have to be a god of penciling. Few modern pencilers can maintain a one book a month workload, never mind adding MORE to that.

John Romita Jr. is supposed to be super-fast, isn't he? I think he was doing more than one book a month for a while.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

What is/was the explanation for the Inhuman royal family to go around wearing masks? I know Black Bolt wears his costume because it's supposed to help control his power but what about everyone else?

Isn't it just what Kirby considered alien regal design. Kind of like Galactus helmet.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Better question: what's your excuse for not running around dressed as a superhero?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They're terribly comfortable, everyone will be wearing them in the future.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They protect the wearer from kirby krackle radiation, which is stronger at places like the moon

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Waterhaul posted:

Simple answer was money. Shipping 18 books a year makes more money than 12. Marvel are still doing it with the likes of Avengers now, the only issue is they don't have more Bagley's with such a low fi style who can just constantly churn out books.
I'm not sure if it's still the case, but a few years ago I remember reading that Marvel operated a policy on a lot of books whereby they could either put out 16-18 issues a year (which means double-shipping every few months), or else do 12 issues a year plus an Annual. You only have to look at Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy, it put out 24 issues between November 2012 and February 2014 (plus the #300 issue the following month).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

John Romita Jr. is supposed to be super-fast, isn't he? I think he was doing more than one book a month for a while.
JRJr and Bagley are two who come to mind, but like I said, there's few who can manage that and they're definitely exceptions today.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but a few years ago I remember reading that Marvel operated a policy on a lot of books whereby they could either put out 16-18 issues a year (which means double-shipping every few months), or else do 12 issues a year plus an Annual. You only have to look at Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy, it put out 24 issues between November 2012 and February 2014 (plus the #300 issue the following month).

Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men had 42 issues in 27 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'd like to know the ages of everyone who complains about Bendis's pacing, especially in USM. It always feels like older readers hate it and younger readers love it. The first comic I bought with my own money was USM #8 when I was 11 and I've loved his work ever since. I think USM is brilliantly paced and influenced comics in such a big way for a reason.