Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Need a gift recommendation for a coworker: ideas for games he can play with his 6 and 10 year old sons. He already has Ticket to Ride and Small World, but complains that TtR is too slow. They started playing a variant where first to complete three tickets wins. I was thinking maybe Forbidden Desert, but maybe there's too much QBing (he's complained about that before).

He mentioned that they play Monopoly Jr. together, and this cannot stand. (The boys at least made up some rules for attacking properties you land on to spice things up, so on some level they understand it sucks.)

Tsuro is always awesome, and doesn't drag out, and it's easily simple enough for the kids to understand.

I dunno, maybe if they can understand Monopoly they can understand Power Grid? It requires doing high-level arithmetic (for kids and adults), but I guess they'd would just play suboptimally, and not be completely shut out when they make mistakes.

Edit: Space Alert in a public setting? Are you sure that would actually be a good idea? No Kemet/Dominion/7 Wonders would be a crime, but Space Alert gets a pass.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Madmarker posted:

It could be worse, he could be playing Munchkin against Humanity.

Munchkin Against Humanity: Cthulhu Dice Edition

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Just a heads-up for those who don't follow the Deals Thread that Amazon is doing 50% off of quite a few boarding games today, including many of those holiday-friendly games mentioned in the OP. Love Letter, Splendor, 7 Wonders. Takenoko and more.

edit: as of this post Splendor is gone.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

King of Tokyo/New York? Hard to find a 10-year old that doesn't like big monsters and smashing stuff, though it might be a little too complicated for the 6-year old.

My 6 year old plays King of New York. He doesn't get everything perfectly (and I have to explain each card as it comes up), but he definitely likes playing. On the "recent games for young kids" front, I'll also say that he really liked Machi Koro (and could actually play it quite well, though his strategy was very static).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Ravensburger has a whole line of games for children:

http://www.ravensburger.com/us/shop/games/children-s-games/index.html

I think the BGG has a decent list of games as well for kids; however, most of them are European.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 16, 2014

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have a niece who, at five years old, was actually pretty drat good at Statego. Since then, we have got her into Carcassonne, Forbidden Island, and Hey, That's My Fish, and she's only eight years old now. She still gets a little confused on how Farms work on Carcassonne, but other than that she picks up on stuff quick. I pretty much try to get her a different board game each birthday and Christmas now. She refers to me as "board game uncle", which is a lot better than how she refers to my dad ("grandpa Goofy").

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Aston posted:

I've just had a look at their selection on their website: 10 different versions of Munchkin and no Space Alert.

Space Alert strikes me as not a great game to play in a cafe full of other people. You either can't hear the soundtrack for the other people or your game is drowning out others. Yeah it might be possible to find a balance, but does the venue provide the means to play the CD? Sounds best to just let one game go then have staff manage sound disputes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Jesus, reading people talking about Kemet without actually knowing what the game is about is like seeing a board game in a future sci-fi show/movie, where they just sort of mash together concepts and poo poo that they've heard about in board game and stuff.

"So I'm going to get the blue pyramid and start a prayer on my turn to combat your lower pyramid and get victory!"

"Well I sacrifice my Ra and attack your forces in a counterstrike!"

*flashing lasers and strobes*

Anyway I might be picking it up soon, I'll be going to Toronto for Christmas vacation, and they have a lot more stuff than where I currently live. Woooo more board games

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Morpheus posted:

"So I'm going to get the blue pyramid and start a prayer on my turn to combat your lower pyramid and get victory!"

This is a perfect summary of one turn of Kemet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Need a gift recommendation for a coworker: ideas for games he can play with his 6 and 10 year old sons. He already has Ticket to Ride and Small World, but complains that TtR is too slow. They started playing a variant where first to complete three tickets wins. I was thinking maybe Forbidden Desert, but maybe there's too much QBing (he's complained about that before).

He mentioned that they play Monopoly Jr. together, and this cannot stand. (The boys at least made up some rules for attacking properties you land on to spice things up, so on some level they understand it sucks.)

King of New York/Tokyo, Carcassonne, Forbidden Island would be better than desert here I think, Nuts, Poo, Hey That's My Fish!

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I've seen some good opinions of Steam Park. Are there any reasons not to get it, problems with the game, etc? It's got a good price on Amazon today.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I forgot to mention the dad is already getting KoT (not KoNY :argh:) for Christmas. I think Tsuro is exactly the game I was looking for.

I may recommend Power Grid or Carcassonne to him at a later date, if he asks. Or one if the kids games, if he's birthday shopping.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Real talk about Betrayal at House on the Hill:

It is a given that the game is completely unbalanced and busted, with often not totally clear rules in its scenarios, so my favorite way to play is by completely busting the game over my knee.

House rule: Double Traitors.
After the Haunt begins, reset the number of Omens that you roll against to zero (existing omens still remain in play.) Continue making Haunt rolls as new Omens are revealed, adding to the new total. It is now possible to start a second scenario, with an additional traitor or having the current traitor become a majestic Double Traitor. At this point it is unlikely that anybody will survive long enough to reveal a third traitor.

Well, since this can result in "Dracula vs. The Mummy" or "Werewolf vs. Frankenstein" scenarios, it feels like a natural evolution of the base game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Jesus, reading people talking about Kemet without actually knowing what the game is about is like seeing a board game in a future sci-fi show/movie, where they just sort of mash together concepts and poo poo that they've heard about in board game and stuff.

Anyway I might be picking it up soon, I'll be going to Toronto for Christmas vacation, and they have a lot more stuff than where I currently live. Woooo more board games

I want to play your version of Kemet.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but it was commented within my meetup group and the overall consensus was 'why go to a board game cafe that's kind of out of the way when you can play at the meetup for free?'

I guess it is good if you are a dirty student and don't have to work on weekdays, but for professionals it's really not that appealing, especially since there is a free alternative.

To comment on this, my partner and I often attend Thirsty Meeples, the Oxford board game cafe, and we love going there even though there is a weekly boardgame meetup close by. However that meetup is only on Monday, not practically every day of the week like London On Board is.

It's great to be able to just turn up and play one of their huge library of games, and have good quality snacks/drinks without having to interrupt everything to go make them. It also provides a neutral meeting place to play boardgames instead of having to invite people you've just met to your home. I've played about a dozen games I wouldn't have touched otherwise by going to the board game cafe, and they are pretty good for limited-life games like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

If you wanted to be really frugal I suppose you could arrange to meet people at pubs to play boardgames you already own (as in, outside of a Meetup arrangement), but a cafe dedicated to boardgames is pretty nice to have.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Big McHuge posted:

Why are you posting this here? Shouldn't you be making a Kickstarter with an idea like this? You'd be rolling in piles of dumb nerd money faster than you can finish saying the title.

Aston posted:

I've just had a look at their selection on their website: 10 different versions of Munchkin and no Space Alert.

This sounds like a fever dream of BL's hell.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Impermanent posted:

This is a perfect summary of one turn of Kemet.
Also a perfect summary of Turn One of Kemet.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

the deckbuilder game with worker placement and area control elements

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fungah! posted:

the deckbuilder game with worker placement and area control elements

Now with Pop-o-Matic(r) dice!

e: somebody mail this thread to yourself before Steve Jackson reads it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

It really has to be collectible. Maybe skin it with Monster High or something.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

Why are you posting this here? Shouldn't you be making a Kickstarter with an idea like this? You'd be rolling in piles of dumb nerd money faster than you can finish saying the title.

Still needs zombies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

FWIW apparently steve jackson's really embarrassed that the only game he's remembered for anymore is munchkin, he actually did some coolish games before then (i.e. OGRE) that everyone just kind of ignores because munchkin

then again he can pretty much wipe away his tears with idiot nerd money so

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

LuiCypher posted:

I actually designed a dumb card game revolving around pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. I had a few friends who really liked it, enough to offer to help finance it, but in the end I shelved it because I wasn't a huge fan of how it played, plus the artwork was going to be a big hurdle.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

plus the artwork was going to be a big hurdle.

Didn't stop Ascension or Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Munchkin Against Humanity: Cthulu Dice Edition:The Zombie's Campaign for North Africa

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Madmarker posted:

Munchkin Against Humanity: Cthulu Dice Edition:The Zombie's Campaign for North Africa

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

sonatinas posted:

Didn't stop Ascension or Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Yeah, but if I'm going to make a lovely game, I at least want the artwork to be distracting enough.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Big McHuge posted:

Yeah, but if I'm going to make a lovely game, I at least want the artwork to be distracting enough.

I don't think Ascension is all that bad, is it? It's consistent, at least. If we're going to bag on art that ranges between amateur and weird, then we're gonna have to have stern words with some Eurogames.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What about between great and what the gently caress, because Dominion.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Big McHuge posted:

I actually designed a dumb card game revolving around pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. I had a few friends who really liked it, enough to offer to help finance it, but in the end I shelved it because I wasn't a huge fan of how it played, plus the artwork was going to be a big hurdle.

How similar was it to Smash Up? You may have missed a raft of money there.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

Ascension in real life is a lovely game.

Ascension on the iOS is a good game.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

Space Alert strikes me as not a great game to play in a cafe full of other people. You either can't hear the soundtrack for the other people or your game is drowning out others. Yeah it might be possible to find a balance, but does the venue provide the means to play the CD? Sounds best to just let one game go then have staff manage sound disputes.

Yeah their selection actually looks pretty good even though you can describe it like that.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

djfooboo posted:

Ascension in real life is a lovely game.

Ascension on the iOS is a good game.

They are literally exactly the same, the physical game just takes longer because you have to shuffle the cards.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why is Kemet so expensive right now? Is it out of print? It's 55-70 dollars on Amazon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megasabin posted:

Why is Kemet so expensive right now? Is it out of print? It's 55-70 dollars on Amazon.

The game is too good and everyone is buying it.

Only half-joking here. I don't think it was a hugely anticipated game with much hype behind it so the initial run may not have been that big. I think word of mouth took off once people got their hands on it and spiked demand.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Megasabin posted:

MM has it for $45. Plus No Sales Tax (which saves about 10% since I live in California). Only 6 copies left in stock though.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/34641/s/asmkem01/

Downside is shipping is about $10, but go spend another $55, which is way easier than it sounds. :getin: I blacked out and somehow ended up getting Kemet, Love Letter, Hanabi, and Temporum in my cart being shipped to my house.

The secret is "Amazon" is actually pretty loving expensive when it's sold out. And I put that in quotes because you'll notice it's actually not sold by Amazon but by third-party "Only 4 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by AreYouGame. Gift-wrap available."
. It's rather hidden but that's why when there's a lot of deals, prices tend to suddenly jump and it's not that the deal is dead per se, but rather they ran out of and showing prices from some 3rd party without making it explicit and then there's usually shipping cost.

Though when it's from Amazon directly, they still do include shipping inherently so it's about $5+ than a base price from things like MM/CSI/BGW (but not always).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 16, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Kemet trip report: I got completely beaten up! All was going swimmingly until a few turns in, when I realised I'd been buying stuff haphazardly and my opponent had an army of 7 with the scorpion that could teleport anywhere. Game ended when she got 9 points with that crazy army and I had literally nothing on the board left alive. Good fun! All I want to do is play it again now (and try all the cool combinations I realised halfway through)

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
The first time I played Kemet, it was with 5 people and the last two rounds devolved into everyone collectively working out how to prevent a particular player from winning that round, like a highly quarterbacked many-vs-one co-op game where the solo player shifted around based on who was about to win.

I really want to play it again with all the hype this thread has been giving it. Probably with fewer people, I think 5 is too much, and can cause 2 or 3 of the players to be forced to play Kingmaker towards the end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

The first time I played Kemet, it was with 5 people and the last two rounds devolved into everyone collectively working out how to prevent a particular player from winning that round, like a highly quarterbacked many-vs-one co-op game where the solo player shifted around based on who was about to win.

I really want to play it again with all the hype this thread has been giving it. Probably with fewer people, I think 5 is too much, and can cause 2 or 3 of the players to be forced to play Kingmaker towards the end.

That's the thing, though. Since the only way to win is through permanent VPs and the main way to get those is combat, you can't stop the game getting closer to victory and you can't easily weaken someone past a certain point. And if you try to shoot someone down and fail to end the game in the process, they can choose the turn order and get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My first game of Kemet was hilarious because two people in the group clearly didn't understand how turn order advantage worked. Each time they were up they put themselves first and whoever they thought was winning last. I tried to explain to them that going last seemed like a good thing but they either didn't believe me or thought I was trying to trick them.