Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

likw1d posted:

I did not know this but you prompted me to quickly look it up and if I am understanding this right:

"nltest /dclist:contoso.com" would query active directory for a list of dc's (one of them will come back as [PDC]) and if unsuccessful, nltest uses the browser service. I think the DC that returns as [PDC] is the PDC Emulator (at least).. so basically the PDC in a older Windows NT/AD infrastructure?

I did this on my home lab 2012 R2 AD setup with the basic configs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I applaud your lab's naming scheme, goon sir :golfclap:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Docjowles posted:

There are a zillion TLD's that you can use other than .local:
https://iwantmyname.com/domains/new-gtld-domain-extensions

I prefer .sexy or .wow in lab environments.

Edit:
.wang

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

mayodreams posted:

I did this on my home lab 2012 R2 AD setup with the basic configs.

I got the same return except my domain is not very creative.. lab.local

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now I feel like a sucker for buying a dot com for my internal lab domain :(

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Martytoof posted:

Hardly a waste unless you aren't using it for anything else.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Hardly a waste unless you aren't using it for anything else.

I'm not, but it's literally couch change so I'm not too broken up about it :haw:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Martytoof posted:

My lab is internally isolated so I can name it whatever I want. gently caress it, I'm going to use host1.google.com

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Martytoof posted:

I have a TLD for it too. :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

I owned neckbeard.info for awhile, but I let it lapse a couple of years ago. :(

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
VMware Workstation 11 supports EFI booting :woop:

I can clone/transplant Linux installations between machines and disks with my eyes closed (mkfs, rsync or tar -xf, mount a few pseudo-filesystems, chroot, edit /etc/fstab, install bootloader) and I've been meaning to learn how to do this with EFI systems. I've never had multiple EFI machines available to experiment with, though, so I'm happy to be able to try this out in VMs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lysidas posted:

VMware Workstation 11 supports EFI booting :woop:

I can clone/transplant Linux installations between machines and disks with my eyes closed (mkfs, rsync or tar -xf, mount a few pseudo-filesystems, chroot, edit /etc/fstab, install bootloader) and I've been meaning to learn how to do this with EFI systems. I've never had multiple EFI machines available to experiment with, though, so I'm happy to be able to try this out in VMs.

Now you'll get to clone an EFI system partition, too. And potentially add an entry to the EFI boot table, depending on exactly how VMware's implementation works.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How is everyone dealing with antivirus on non-persistent VDIs these days? In the past I've just installed AV on the VDI and changed the definition path to a cache drive, but I'd like to do it a bit cleaner. Is anyone using hypervisor AV? VDIs are currently on XenServer but I am probably going to migrate them to ESXi and it can wait until then.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Does anybody have any good modern VDI best practices guides? Specifically, looking at hardware discussion (MHz vs core count, network config, etc.)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

How is everyone dealing with antivirus on non-persistent VDIs these days? In the past I've just installed AV on the VDI and changed the definition path to a cache drive, but I'd like to do it a bit cleaner. Is anyone using hypervisor AV? VDIs are currently on XenServer but I am probably going to migrate them to ESXi and it can wait until then.
In fact we went with VMware over XenServer for our XenDesktop deployment because of the vshield driver. It works pretty well and I would recommend it, with the caveat that it does stop working occasionally so i drop a test file on a guest of each hypervisor from time to time just to make sure it's working.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Does anybody have any good modern VDI best practices guides? Specifically, looking at hardware discussion (MHz vs core count, network config, etc.)
We use the same guidelines we do for servers: start small and only increase resources when users demand it. I think our default is still 1 core/2GB. We don't use dvswitches, and put all of our VDI sessions into vswitches on /21 subnets.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

In fact we went with VMware over XenServer for our XenDesktop deployment because of the vshield driver. It works pretty well and I would recommend it, with the caveat that it does stop working occasionally so i drop a test file on a guest of each hypervisor from time to time just to make sure it's working.

Thanks for the response. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but it looks like VMware vShield is essentially a framework that other AV vendors can leverage, is that correct? If so, which vendors do you guys have experience with? Or am I misunderstanding?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the response. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but it looks like VMware vShield is essentially a framework that other AV vendors can leverage, is that correct? If so, which vendors do you guys have experience with? Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes. We use kaspersky. The way it works is there is a VM running on each host for the scanning engine. Through the vshield framework, that VM is allowed to inspect the guest memory of each guest which has the vshield driver installed and enabled. I think it is important to note that this is memory scanning only, and there is no scheduled disk scanning occurring. In a VDI environment there is no issue, but if you use this on normal servers you should at least know about this drawback.

It's really easy to get working, assuming your current AV provider and management solution has a vshield solution. For us we literally imported an OVA on each host, and installed the vshield driver in each guest. It more or less required zero thought.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thanks for the details. The disk bit is interesting. Makes you wonder why they don't intercept the disk IO and scan it. Sounds like I have a bit of reading to do. Thanks again for the follow up.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Awesome, thanks for the details. The disk bit is interesting. Makes you wonder why they don't intercept the disk IO and scan it. Sounds like I have a bit of reading to do. Thanks again for the follow up.
most disk io is coming from or going to memory. All the real time stuff works, it's just a scheduled disk scan that you lose.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

most disk io is coming from or going to memory. All the real time stuff works, it's just a scheduled disk scan that you lose.

Ah, okay. Cool. Like I said, definitely going to have to do some more reading. I'm not concerned about losing the scheduled disk scans. Thanks!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
God drat, what a loving nightmare. I just spent the last 5 or 6 hours moving my ESXi box around to clean up a mess of wiring, plus install a smart 8-port switch. The moving and installation took about 30 minutes - the rest of the time was spent trying to get my goddamn internet connection back. I finally pulled the trigger on setting up a new virtual firewall, hoping that would resolve the problem but nope. What finally did the trick was just unplugging my cable modem. I wanted to pound my head on my desk as punishment for my stupidity - the last time I had the same problem I just needed to reset my modem and I was all good. Ah, such is life.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Not sure if this should go in the Haus of Tech Support or not, but I think it's more related to VMs and it's for my small office network so I'm going to ask here.

I have VMWare Workstation 9.0.4 on a Windows 7 laptop. I have several VMs on the machine, all are in Bridged networking mode. I typically remote into the laptop from my desktop PC.

I've recently set up some of the machines with static IPs. Had no issues before doing this. Now that I have, the desktop PC seems to frequently think the laptop's IP is actually one of the VM IPs.

Example: Laptop's (DHCP) IP is ...7, bridged VM (static) IP is ...120. I will be connected to the laptop remotely from my desktop PC, when all of a sudden it will disconnect me, and when I try to remote in again, it routes me to .120. Pinging the laptop also sends me to .120.

If I go to the laptop and check the IP, the laptop still knows it's .7. If I check the router settings, it still knows the laptop is .7. But my PC thinks the laptop's name resolves to .120. Flush DNS does not seem to do anything on the desktop machine, still routes to .120. Sometimes this will fix itself after a while (minutes, hours, seems inconsistent), but sometimes I have to physically log into the laptop, refresh the IP, flush DNS, then flush DNS on the desktop, and then it gets the correct IP again.

I've even limited my router's DHCP range so it doesn't give out anything over .100, thinking that might prevent the desktop from getting confused (all of my static IPs are over .100), but it doesn't seem to have done anything. It still gets stuck on that .120 IP. The .120 machine is the last static IP VM I assigned, and before I assigned that one, it was getting stuck on the PREVIOUSLY last static IP I assigned to a VM.

Any ideas?

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 12, 2014

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sighnoceros posted:

Not sure if this should go in the Haus of Tech Support or not, but I think it's more related to VMs and it's for my small office network so I'm going to ask here.

I have VMWare Workstation 9.0.4 on a Windows 7 laptop. I have several VMs on the machine, all are in Bridged networking mode. I typically remote into the laptop from my desktop PC.

I've recently set up some of the machines with static IPs. Had no issues before doing this. Now that I have, the desktop PC seems to frequently think the laptop's IP is actually one of the VM IPs.

Example: Laptop's (DHCP) IP is ...7, bridged VM (static) IP is ...120. I will be connected to the laptop remotely from my desktop PC, when all of a sudden it will disconnect me, and when I try to remote in again, it routes me to .120. Pinging the laptop also sends me to .120.

If I go to the laptop and check the IP, the laptop still knows it's .7. If I check the router settings, it still knows the laptop is .7. But my PC thinks the laptop's name resolves to .120. Flush DNS does not seem to do anything on the desktop machine, still routes to .120. Sometimes this will fix itself after a while (minutes, hours, seems inconsistent), but sometimes I have to physically log into the laptop, refresh the IP, flush DNS, then flush DNS on the desktop, and then it gets the correct IP again.

I've even limited my router's DHCP range so it doesn't give out anything over .100, thinking that might prevent the desktop from getting confused (all of my static IPs are over .100), but it doesn't seem to have done anything. It still gets stuck on that .120 IP. The .120 machine is the last static IP VM I assigned, and before I assigned that one, it was getting stuck on the PREVIOUSLY last static IP I assigned to a VM.

Any ideas?

Could you provide more detail on what's actually breaking ?
How exactly are you connecting to the laptop? RDP session, http to vm webservers on the laptop?
Are you connecting to the laptop using the ip address or dns name. If its the dns name , is the laptop joined to a windows domain in your office ?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Connecting to the laptop with RDP from the PC, using the dns name.

PC and all VMs are in a single workgroup, but laptop is on its own domain, not in the workgroup. This is a home office and the laptop is a company laptop that I'm not allowed to take off the domain, as I have to use it to connect to the company VPN occasionally.

The laptop also has this Junos Pulse software that it uses to connect to our mail server when I'm not on the VPN so that I can still get email. Not sure if that's relevant but thought I would share anyway.

Don't know what else I can say about what is actually breaking, all I know is RDP will sometimes send me to the VM IP instead of the laptop IP using the laptop's dns name. Ping from the PC resolves to the VM IP as well, even though router and laptop both show correct IP.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sighnoceros posted:

Connecting to the laptop with RDP from the PC, using the dns name.

PC and all VMs are in a single workgroup, but laptop is on its own domain, not in the workgroup. This is a home office and the laptop is a company laptop that I'm not allowed to take off the domain, as I have to use it to connect to the company VPN occasionally.

The laptop also has this Junos Pulse software that it uses to connect to our mail server when I'm not on the VPN so that I can still get email. Not sure if that's relevant but thought I would share anyway.

Don't know what else I can say about what is actually breaking, all I know is RDP will sometimes send me to the VM IP instead of the laptop IP using the laptop's dns name. Ping from the PC resolves to the VM IP as well, even though router and laptop both show correct IP.

What provides the dns lookups for your desktop machine?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
The same router that shows the laptop as .7 in its Network devices. It just happened again, so I was also able to confirm that a VM hosted on the laptop itself (bridged) also thinks the laptop's IP is .120 until I renew the laptop's IP and flush DNS on the VM. So it's not just my desktop PC. I wonder if it's just this crappy Verizon router.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sighnoceros posted:

The same router that shows the laptop as .7 in its Network devices. It just happened again, so I was also able to confirm that a VM hosted on the laptop itself (bridged) also thinks the laptop's IP is .120 until I renew the laptop's IP and flush DNS on the VM. So it's not just my desktop PC. I wonder if it's just this crappy Verizon router.

Does the router dns work by associating the hostname with a specific MAC address ? If so, its not totally surprising that it would change if it sees arp traffic for that MAC with a different ip address.

edit:

If your router allows for DHCP with static lease / reservations, you could set a reservation for the laptop and then edit the hosts file on your desktop machine.

jre fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 12, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jre posted:

Does the router dns work by associating the hostname with a specific MAC address ? If so, its not totally surprising that it would change if it sees arp traffic for that MAC with a different ip address.

edit:

If your router allows for DHCP with static lease / reservations, you could set a reservation for the laptop and then edit the hosts file on your desktop machine.

proxyarp or mac spoofing should be enabled by default on bridges, I would hope.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah I don't know how the dns works, that's a little beyond my understanding. I will look into the reservations thing, not sure if my router can do it or not.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Pro tip for anyone experiencing high CPU in VM guests: enable HIGH PERFORMANCE power management in your system profile. I just spent hours troubleshooting this issue on a host that was suddenly performing poorly. Performance indicators in ESXi/vCenter didn't show a problem. Running ESXtop showed high PCPU utilization but low PCPU use. CPU usage in all guests VMs was intermittently pegged at 100% usage. I set the power profile in ESXi to high performance but ultimately it had to be set in the BIOS.

God bless iDRAC...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kerpal posted:

Pro tip for anyone experiencing high CPU in VM guests: enable HIGH PERFORMANCE power management in your system profile. I just spent hours troubleshooting this issue on a host that was suddenly performing poorly. Performance indicators in ESXi/vCenter didn't show a problem. Running ESXtop showed high PCPU utilization but low PCPU use. CPU usage in all guests VMs was intermittently pegged at 100% usage. I set the power profile in ESXi to high performance but ultimately it had to be set in the BIOS.

God bless iDRAC...

Heh, yeah I have encountered this in other situations, too. "Hey why is the new DB server performing like complete rear end?" *12 hours of troubleshooting later* "Oh, cool, the BIOS was set to aggressively throttle CPU to save a few watts of power." :thumbsup:

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Yep, same issue here as well.. Was stumped as to why our developers were getting better compile times on their lovely desktops, vs the virtualized compile farm running on xeon processors and ssd disk. That loving default power profile setting :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that the BIOS on the host or a guest setting?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Host.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a BIOS setting if your BIOS doesn't support allowing VMware to handle it. It's a host setting if your BIOS allows VMware to handle it. And yes, always configure your iDRAC and for the love of god install the OpenManage VIB for ESXi while you're at it.

I ran into a fun performance issue the other day...

Guest showing really high CPU usage but not any one process. Super high Co-Stop on the VMs in vSphere, which I've only ever seen for over-allocated vCPU on hosts or old snapshots causing problems, neither of which were the issue here. Some idiot went into the settings for each VM and set the max memory limit for the VM to be lower than the amount of memory the VM was given. They were swapping like crazy.

Never even thought to check there.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I changed it initially in ESX itself via vSphere since it doesn't require a reboot. I didn't know what the BIOS was actually set to at the time. I checked the iDRAC but it doesn't list power management settings, just statistics regarding power usage and monitoring for the power supplies.

Always fun asking for approval to reboot a machine while crossing your fingers that it's actually going to resolve your problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm fairly sure that OpenManage for ESXi will tell you the BIOS power management settings, but installing it requires a reboot anyways. I would use the reboot window to install it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kerpal posted:

I changed it initially in ESX itself via vSphere since it doesn't require a reboot. I didn't know what the BIOS was actually set to at the time. I checked the iDRAC but it doesn't list power management settings, just statistics regarding power usage and monitoring for the power supplies.

Always fun asking for approval to reboot a machine while crossing your fingers that it's actually going to resolve your problem.

CPU cstates shouldn't require messing with EFI unless you're completely disabling them. I'd be utterly amazed if there weren't a tunable for it somewhere in vmkernel

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evol262 posted:

CPU cstates shouldn't require messing with EFI unless you're completely disabling them. I'd be utterly amazed if there weren't a tunable for it somewhere in vmkernel

I thought it could be hard set in the bios, or turned to "guest os control"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

I thought it could be hard set in the bios, or turned to "guest os control"?

Yes, that is what I was trying to say earlier. Depending on the vendor the verbage can change. You can hard set it in UEFI/BIOS or you can set UEFI/BIOS to allow the OS to manage it, which ESXi supports.