Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
...huh. Can you use that to get a papal bastard, legitimize him, have him inherit, then press his claim to the papacy?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

...huh. Can you use that to get a papal bastard, legitimize him, have him inherit, then press his claim to the papacy?

I think Popes are randomly chosen from the pool of cardinals, are they not? His son wouldn't get a claim in that case.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

This is a good time to post my all-time favorite submission to the CKII subreddit: The Tragedy of Count Bernie of Bari, the Man who Hoped to Impregnate the World. I hope the guy tries this challenge again with Way of Life's new focus on boning.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Are the soundtrack and unit packs pretty well done? I bought all the portrait packs today but I may spring for the Unit Packs, Dynasty Shields, and soundtrack stuff unless they really aren't worth it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mahasamatman posted:

Are the soundtrack and unit packs pretty well done? I bought all the portrait packs today but I may spring for the Unit Packs, Dynasty Shields, and soundtrack stuff unless they really aren't worth it.

I'm a fan of the unit packs, and they're usually well done, but there isn't yet an EUIV like battle summary to show them off, so ymmv. I'd definitely recommend the dynasty shield stuff, however.

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf

Odobenidae posted:

I think Popes are randomly chosen from the pool of cardinals, are they not? His son wouldn't get a claim in that case.

This happened to me before Charlemagne:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Hey, Groogy, as long as you're here, can you say something about this little issue that I've been whining incessantly about for a while?

*shrug*
I don't know, I code code, I don't paint.

Not sure but I think that the Indian portraits were done by Crackd? Old modder we contract to make portraits because his modded portraits were so much better than ours so can't really walk up to him and ask :/

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

forkis posted:

I've seduced the wives of all the Christian kings and Emperors of Europe, as well as their adult daughters, cousins, and the wives of every single Patrician in Ancona and Venice. Master Seducer trait is way too OP and I love it.

This may be the single best DLC Paradox has ever produced.

I can only imagine the terrifying web of cuckolding that every ck2 multiplayer game will become now.

:eyepop:

Tried something similar with a ruler designed single county count in the HRE. Managed to seduce the Empress, Duchess Mathilde, my liege's wife, the queens of Hungary, Denmark and Poland and the King of France's wife and mother before being imprisoned by my liege for looking at some random wench and then almost immediately dropping dead. Couldn't see cause of death (game over due to, ironically enough, lack of heir), but I like to think he got shived on the orders of one of the poor bastards I cucked.

Love this so far!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Where is this seduce option hiding? 7 sins demonspawn queen picked the seduction lifestyle, but I am not seeing an option to go creeping in the diplomacy menu.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Way of Life sounding interesting and tempting, maybe for christmas! I deeply enjoy having a million kids that I don't take credit for and having it fire for a duke occasionally during a feast isn't the best way it could be now!

Weird question since I haven't ever played muslims: If I capture a bunch of the head dudes dynasty during a holy war, can I convert them and then marry them off in my kingdom so they screw up his decadence? Or do they have to remain muslim for decadence to actually work? Or did that get changed at some point and I didn't read it anywhere? Worst case I'll just breed them into one of my cadet families to pick up those descendant of Muhammad traits later on.

I already converted and returned a bunch of males I educated from the dungeon and various women I forced into conversion to the kingdoms around me that I've been warring with to start up middling conversions without any effort on my part. I liked a couple of second-in-line heirs I caught, converted to zoroastrianism, and they picked up some traits like lustful so Operation BabyBomb is in effect. Soon their brothers shall be blown up by cow poop.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Ramc posted:

Where is this seduce option hiding? 7 sins demonspawn queen picked the seduction lifestyle, but I am not seeing an option to go creeping in the diplomacy menu.

First, choose seduction as your focus. This will unlock the seduce option on the diplo screen for any adult woman man in range.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Cuckquest trip report from a friend

"I had sex with my dad's new wife, my uncle's divorced wife, and the Queen of France. :pervert:"

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Zoinker posted:

First, choose seduction as your focus. This will unlock the seduce option on the diplo screen for any adult woman man in range.

No dice I'll look around again. I wonder if there is some other trait blocking it. Lord knows this ruler has a ton of them.

Edit- Looks like since Satan explained that she only likes ladies that she can only attempt to seduce dames, and only likewise-homosexual ones at that. Not the widest playing field in CK2.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 17, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Anyone feel like the MTTH might be a little off? I took the business focus and got the "build a tower" event chain and the events were just pounding me at a rapid pace.

Still, expansion owns and it'd be the best yet if Old Gods didn't exist.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

forkis posted:

I've seduced the wives of all the Christian kings and Emperors of Europe, as well as their adult daughters, cousins, and the wives of every single Patrician in Ancona and Venice. Master Seducer trait is way too OP and I love it.

This may be the single best DLC Paradox has ever produced.

I can only imagine the terrifying web of cuckolding that every ck2 multiplayer game will become now.

Yeah, the balancing on the seducing is slightly off. The AI way overdoes it as well, enjoy having your wife cheat on you within a month of marrying you every time.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kainser posted:

Yeah, the balancing on the seducing is slightly off. The AI way overdoes it as well, enjoy having your wife cheat on you within a month of marrying you every time.

For the record, the player is specifically exempted from the number limit on how many lovers you can get through the seduce focus (and clearly NPCs are far too likely to accept, but the first part is what immediately struck me when I cracked open the files tonight.)

I am looking forward to the patch notes for the inevitable 2.3.1 release.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Groogy posted:

*shrug*
I don't know, I code code, I don't paint.

Not sure but I think that the Indian portraits were done by Crackd? Old modder we contract to make portraits because his modded portraits were so much better than ours so can't really walk up to him and ask :/

I see. I thought it might have been a coding thing because it looked like the women were using the Persian skin instead of Indian, but I don't know, it's probably pretty trivial to mod it myself. Thanks for the reply :)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I see. I thought it might have been a coding thing because it looked like the women were using the Persian skin instead of Indian, but I don't know, it's probably pretty trivial to mod it myself. Thanks for the reply :)

I think that last time it was discussed it was something in regards to pale skin in medieval society of some parts of India, as where a woman should be pale skinned because she shouldn't leave the palace or some such. Not sure though but if it makes you sleep at night you can take that?

Crackd does some intensive research for the portraits so I trust him in whatever e puts out, like the dangling decorative things from the crown for early Byzantine emperors are historically correct but I know two devs who when saw it at first refused to believe that it would actually be correct. (So did also some byzantium lovers on the forum :D)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does Paradox hire a lot of mod makers like that? Wasn't that how you got your start?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kainser posted:

Just like in real life. :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Does Paradox hire a lot of mod makers like that? Wasn't that how you got your start?

Wiz got his start like that, from CK2+ among other things and its because of him that I hang here now.
I just played the games.... A LOT. Though they didn't know that until after they hired me, so I was hired on being a good programmer.

Or they just needed to fill their quotas of Danes. You know because Paradox "loves" Danes. :downswords:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nobody likes Danes, especially not Danes themselves.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
So is deposing an antipope supposed to do basically fuckall? I decalred war on the Byzantines and won a war to depose an antipope, the pope is still there ruling in the Byzantine Empire. The Bassileus still has him as his religious head. The only thing I really gained was some useless Moral Authority and opinion with my pope.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Nobody likes Danes, especially not Danes themselves.

OI! :toughguy:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

So is deposing an antipope supposed to do basically fuckall? I decalred war on the Byzantines and won a war to depose an antipope, the pope is still there ruling in the Byzantine Empire. The Bassileus still has him as his religious head. The only thing I really gained was some useless Moral Authority and opinion with my pope.

No, that doesn't sound right...

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Quick question about decadence: will my decadence go up because of rulers outside my realm of the same dynasty? I want to do a game as Rum but I'm worried about getting an undefeatable decadence revolt that's entirely out of my control.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Steam's being screwy right now (weekly maintenance?) but this sounds great and I'm gonna grab it as soon as I can.

Anybody got any tips for playing as a Jewish nation? There's only two I can find, and both are surrounded by very aggressive enemies who immediately dogpile you. I really want to take those Ethiopian Jewish guys and take back Jerusalem but I can't even get off the ground with the alliance of Christian kings that surround you at the start. You attack a smaller one, they all attack you. You don't attack any of them, they all attack you.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Inside Outside posted:

Quick question about decadence: will my decadence go up because of rulers outside my realm of the same dynasty?

No.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Steam's being screwy right now (weekly maintenance?) but this sounds great and I'm gonna grab it as soon as I can.

Anybody got any tips for playing as a Jewish nation? There's only two I can find, and both are surrounded by very aggressive enemies who immediately dogpile you. I really want to take those Ethiopian Jewish guys and take back Jerusalem but I can't even get off the ground with the alliance of Christian kings that surround you at the start. You attack a smaller one, they all attack you. You don't attack any of them, they all attack you.

You can swear fealty to Abysinnia to buy time. It takes a few restarts, but once you get up and running, it's pretty easy to conquer Abysinnia and Nubia. After that, good luck.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Copenhagen is alright if you like bicycles.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Playing a jewish nation early-game is all about being unscrupulously opportunistic. Wait till christian/muslim neighbors are fighting each other to declare war (because that way, when all of Christendom comes knocking they'll be battered from fighting themselves), try to disrupt liege-vassal relations, assassinate rulers to get the titles in the hands of children, etc. etc.

And all of this still relies on the RNGods and their almighty prophet MTTH.

Until you're big enough to fend off your neighbors you should value intrigue in your rulers almost as much as their diplomacy and martial scores!

e: Way of Life does make your life somewhwat easier, it seems, because the buffs you can get from focuses are insane. Insane. I took Ragnar Lodbrok from a 15 martial chump to a 30 martial war-god by spending his entire life chasing after the white bear.
e2: Basically you have to be true-to-life and try your darnedest to destabilize the region. :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

After you take back the Kingdom of Israel, invite all the lighter-skinned Jews in and then make them the second-class citizens. And if anyone has to guard areas where there are angry Muslims, make the Sephardim and Ashkenazim do it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

forkis posted:

Oh it's far far worse than that, the Paradox forums are way too excited about seducing their in-game sister.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Since the patch I'm getting a CTD as soon as I load a save or start a new game. Any ideas? I'm running all DLC + a keybaord shortcut mod.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Monopthalmus posted:

Since the patch I'm getting a CTD as soon as I load a save or start a new game. Any ideas? I'm running all DLC + a keybaord shortcut mod.

It's probably the keyboard shortcut mod, given how many changes they made to the interface with this patch.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Monopthalmus posted:

Shawon Dunston posted:

It's probably the keyboard shortcut mod, given how many changes they made to the interface with this patch.

I had the exact same problem and turning off the keyboard shortcut mod fixed it. It would probably be best to wait until they update it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Ugh. All the CK2 stuff is 75% off. I just bought all the cosmetic DLC :negative:

I am weak.

Edit: Is the ->EU4 converter still broke? Von Habsburg is the King of the Glorious Nation of Y83 and the once great Kingdom of Alban is called DY72. To the north of Germany is the majestic Z00 nation.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 17, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Today in "things I didn't think through":

As the King of Leon I successfully murdered my brother the King of Galicia shortly after the game start. My other brother, the King of Castille, inherited Galicia. Ok, cool, I can just kill him too. Except I got bored waiting for the assassination to trigger and seduced his wife. He had no children and I would have got all his poo poo. His wife ends up pregnant by me and he thinks the kid is his, and he now has an heir.

Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:suicide:

I need back in, Way of Life seems like it fixes a core problem I had with the base game, and all these other expansions I've skipped seem enticing.

Catching back up on the sale will cost me between $15-$21ish with this sale, but only if I don't grab Charlemagne. That makes it $30. $30 is a bit beyond what I'm currently willing to spend on this game, even with how much I like it.

My question is, what does Charlemagne actually do that I should care about? It sounds like it adds a Charlemagne specific campaign, but why would I want that? I've always much preferred just having all the various groups get mad at each other/start poo poo on their own, I don't need a Mongol/Saxon/Aztec invasion thing going on the side to really make me care about stuff. If I would never have any real interest as playing as Charlemagne ( 100% of my love of this game is playing as Ireland/Poland/England/Venice or something and taking over far too much territory with my rear end in a top hat king rear end in a top hat the rear end in a top hat. ), would I lose out on any core features by not owning it?

• Locked thread