Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

In It For The Tank posted:

Victarion's SUPER VOLCANO HAND stands testament to the power of blood magic done right.

Remind me about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Speleothing posted:

Remind me about this?

In AFFC, Victarion's hand is wounded in combat when he catches a blade. By ADWD, the hand has become infected and, no matter how much the ship's maester cleans it, the wound festers. The Iron Fleet comes across Moqorro in the ocean and fishes him out, and the Red Priest promptly claims that, without his help, Victarion will die. Victarion allows Moqorro to perform an unspecified ritual which leaves his hand blackened and burned, but supernaturally powerful.

Artist's rendition:

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 8, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The power of the Red Priests is pretty interesting, it's definitely part of the "returning magic" of the world and at times it's pretty clear even they don't know what's going on or why - Thoros was shocked when he brought Beric back to life, and Melisandre seemed to admit privately that her magic used to be all tricks and illusions but it's becoming increasingly real. I have to wonder if Moqorro even knew the ritual was going to work, or if he's simply such a true believer that he did it anyway and his faith happened to be rewarded.

It's been suggested before that the Seven of Westeros may be fake since we haven't seen any evidence of their power, unlike most other gods in the setting, or that they have "people power" in the sense that the masses of believers are what "empower" people like the High Sparrow. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if the magic returning thing eventually causes followers of the Seven to demonstrate some actual miraculous powers.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 8, 2014

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Is there any magic that doesn't work via blood and/or sacrifice?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Warging and some types of prophetic dreams and visions come to mind. Unless you count warging as a blood thing because it seems to be hereditary, in which case just some types of prophetic dreams and visions.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

And fireballs of course.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Normy posted:

And fireballs of course.

Only if you consider alchemy/chemistry magic.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The alchemists use spells to produce Wildfire, when they're making batches for the Battle of Blackwater Bay one of them remarks to Tyrion that they've produced a lot more than they were expecting because for some reason (Dragons) their spells are suddenly way more effective than usual.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
There's also Melisandre's Minor Microwave that makes chicken dinners out of wargs.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Only if you consider alchemy/chemistry magic.

Something something technology something something magic.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I think he's talking about the elf girl's Magic Missile spell, not alchemy.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Leaf was throwing fantasy incendiary grenades, although the actor's throwing motion and the editing were so poor that they might as well as have been fireballs. That was such a bad scene.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
God I had completely forgotten about that horseshit. Blocked it out I had.

Though to be honest I was way more irritated by the changes to Tyrion's / Shae's / Tywin's encounters.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

In It For The Tank posted:

Warging and some types of prophetic dreams and visions come to mind. Unless you count warging as a blood thing because it seems to be hereditary, in which case just some types of prophetic dreams and visions.

What with the blood sacrifice to the old gods in ye oldie times they could have just built up massive stores of ancient blood mana.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
As a tree, Bran will likely be fed blood when sacrifices are made to the trees. The fact that less people are still carrying out the old rites is likely why there are far less Greenseers still kicking around. Also don't forget the pile of bones inside Bran's new home. Blood has been spilling in there for a long time.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Magic goes hand in hand with human sacrifice in every example we've seen.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Does it actually matter if it's King's blood, or will any blood do? Or is it a mix of blood + faith/perception that increases the magic's strength?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Did the warlocks use blood and sacrifice at all?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Trivia posted:

Does it actually matter if it's King's blood, or will any blood do? Or is it a mix of blood + faith/perception that increases the magic's strength?

Melisandre thinks it does, that's pretty much the only bit about King's Blood and magic in the book. People consider Drogo's funeral pyre to be a confirmation of the Fire + King's Blood formula as he was supposedly a king himself, but it's all guess work really, can also be argued that Fire + Blood is only the formula to raise dragons, which is somewhat corroborated in "The world of ice and fire", and we know for certain that the Valyrians didn't use King's Blood for their spells, they used the blood of slaves, so who knows.

Normy posted:

Did the warlocks use blood and sacrifice at all?

They were trying to sap Dany's life force, so it seems like it's not a completely different form of magic, for what it's worth.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

The power of the Red Priests is pretty interesting, it's definitely part of the "returning magic" of the world and at times it's pretty clear even they don't know what's going on or why - Thoros was shocked when he brought Beric back to life, and Melisandre seemed to admit privately that her magic used to be all tricks and illusions but it's becoming increasingly real. I have to wonder if Moqorro even knew the ritual was going to work, or if he's simply such a true believer that he did it anyway and his faith happened to be rewarded.

It's been suggested before that the Seven of Westeros may be fake since we haven't seen any evidence of their power, unlike most other gods in the setting, or that they have "people power" in the sense that the masses of believers are what "empower" people like the High Sparrow. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if the magic returning thing eventually causes followers of the Seven to demonstrate some actual miraculous powers.

I think that none of the religions in the book are real in the sense that there is/are some kind of God(s) with power. Religion (specifically the Red God and the Drowned God, and to a lesser extent the Old Gods in the North) are a narrative way for the people to explain what they cannot explain through common sense, that doesn't necessarily mean there are Gods involved, it just means that the rituals work.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am reading the third book and got to the part where Tywin tells Tyrion he's going to marry him off to Sansa, how it's his best shot because no one wanted to marry Tyrion, and man why in god's name did the richest man in Westeros have such a hard time marrying off his son? You'd think there would be lesser families tripping over themselves trying to ingratiate themselves to the Lannisters, even knowing that Tywin cares very little for Tyrion.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I am reading the third book and got to the part where Tywin tells Tyrion he's going to marry him off to Sansa, how it's his best shot because no one wanted to marry Tyrion, and man why in god's name did the richest man in Westeros have such a hard time marrying off his son? You'd think there would be lesser families tripping over themselves trying to ingratiate themselves to the Lannisters, even knowing that Tywin cares very little for Tyrion.

Because he's a Dwarf? No one wants to make their daughter into a laughing stock by marrying her to a Dwarf. Remember this is a society where a lot of people thought Bran would be better off dead than crippled.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

It's likely that Tywin wouldn't have had a hard time getting Tyrion a wife. Tywin cares about prestige and respect, he doesn't get any of that by marrying his dwarf to a nobody and paying for the privilege. He needs a marriage that brings something to the table as a marriage to an heir is essentially an alliance between families. The heir to the north is a suitable match and there's no one around to object.

Tywin didn't really want Tyrion to marry though. He wanted him to be irrelevant and not harm the name too much while Tywin works on getting Jamie out of his oaths and into making some heirs of his own.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trivia posted:

The only blood magic we have seen actually work was from Targaryan blood. I don't know if it's Targaryan or Valayian blood that works, but it doesn't seem to matter since the Targs are the only Valaryians left. I don't think you can just yell out " I'm King of this house" and have your bloodcount as king's blood.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I tend to lean more towards it being a belief thing (which is why I include Drogo's blood as king's blood for the Pyre ritual), just because the "Blood of Old Valyria" in modern day Targaryens is so diluted that, in the current generation, even full-blown incest Targs like Dany are only like 10% pure Targaryen.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Also don't forget that the blood of Valyria runs strong in Lys.

I too think it's a belief-centric thing. Varys' earlier quote about the nature of power is thematically appropriate as well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The valyrians were feeding slaves into their volcanoes to build up their mana stores. The slaves weren't valyrians themselves.

Given that the whole "King's Blood" thing comes from Melisandre who is almost certainly misinterpreting a vision she saw of Drogo's funeral pyre I really don't think it's such an important element.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The only blood magic we have seen actually work was from Targaryan blood. I don't know if it's Targaryan or Valayian blood that works, but it doesn't seem to matter since the Targs are the only Valaryians left. I don't think you can just yell out " I'm King of this house" and have your bloodcount as king's blood.

Edric Storm's Baratheon blood might have worked on Stannis' leech curse, if that counts :shrug:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

you answered your own question.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

loquacius posted:

Edric Storm's Baratheon blood might have worked on Stannis' leech curse, if that counts :shrug:

Arguably Mel was just looking into the future. The way she phrases it though, it sounds like she can see multiple futures and maybe can direct it so a particular future is chosen (like Anathem).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cirofren posted:

Tywin didn't really want Tyrion to marry though. He wanted him to be irrelevant and not harm the name too much while Tywin works on getting Jamie out of his oaths and into making some heirs of his own.

Exactly this.

It's not even that he would have had to marry Tyrion to some nobody and "pay for the privilege". I am sure any secondary house allied to the Lannisters would have absolutely been thrilled to marry off a daughter to Tyrion, regardless of him being a dwarf. With Jaime in the Kingsguard, Tyrion is the sole heir to loving Casterly Rock. And women in this world are basically currency anyway, so it is not like most of these guys really give a tenth of a poo poo about their daughter's honor, especially if they have sons to produce their own heirs. And remember, Tywin married his cousin from a branch family, so it is not like he was 100% about making the most beneficial marriage every time to win the game of thrones.

Tywin did not give a poo poo about Tyrion, so he didn't want to waste any effort at all to find him a suitable match. He might have done it eventually just to put an end to the boozing and whoring if he got annoyed enough, but otherwise he was happy to ignore him. He used Tyrion like a chess piece when he married him to Sansa, it had nothing to do with Tyrion's happiness and everything to do with the benefit to House Lannister. All the "this is your best chance" talk and whatever was just naked manipulation: "you are an ugly loving dwarf, take what you can get" mixed in with a little "well you want to help the family, don't you" to really sell it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Tywin offered Tyrion to Elia Martell.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mortabis posted:

Tywin offered Tyrion to Elia Martell.

And what a strange world they'd live in if they'd married. One of the fun parts of ASOIAF is definitely the intersection of soap-opera levels of family drama and geopolitics.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dolash posted:

And what a strange world they'd live in if they'd married. One of the fun parts of ASOIAF is definitely the intersection of soap-opera levels of family drama and geopolitics.

This would have given Rhaegar's coup all the support he could need. The Dornish would have stuck with him I think, and so would have dragged Tywin into a more active role.

Or, depending on how Daddy Stark's Sothron ambitions fit into Rhaegar's plans it would have tipped Westeros into an early civil war.

Or the mad King would have had them all executed.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Baratheons have Targ blood, from their maternal grandmother I think. Very diluted at this point, but it's still there. That's why I think Stannis;s shadow baby worked.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Baratheons have Targ blood, from their maternal grandmother I think. Very diluted at this point, but it's still there. That's why I think Stannis;s shadow baby worked.

Baratheons are like double-Targ. Their founder Orys Baratheon (who married the daughter of the last of the storm Kings after killing her father) was Aegon the Conqueror's best-mate and probable bastard-brother.

Robert's grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen, one of Aegon the Unlikely's (Maester Aemon's younger brother) kids which makes him Dany's second cousin. Which I think makes the current Baratheon stock more Targ than Aegon totally-not-a-Blackfyre.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Double targ is a bit of a stretch given Orys Baratheon died over 250 years previous to events of the series. The Martells and Daynes have better claim to being related to the main branch of House Targaryen.

However, following the logic that all possible male claimants take precendence over the females (sorry, Daenerys) and Jon and Aegon can be dismissed on grounds of doubt, this does make Stannis the legitimate claimant to the throne. Hail Stannis!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Talking about Stannis, I have a really bad feeling he won't survive the upcoming battle. There's NO way Bolton can lose the upcoming fight unless he decides "Hey, you know what would be cool? I'll just leave my huge heated fortress to go out and battle in the middle of a blizzard!" which, as we know is something Roose would never do (I know he sent out the Freys and some of Manderly's knights but most of his forces are inside WF). People often point out to me that Manderly is plotting treason but he's currently knocked out and Roose knows he's plotting to depose him so I don't see that working out well for him. Stannis has less men, is starved and his army's morale is plummeting rapidly, how the gently caress is he going to win? Not to mention Roose has one of the most formidable fortresses in the world.

I hope they do the battle in S5 or at least show us what Stannis has up his sleeve. Because I think it's the end for him unfortunately.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I picked up The World of Ice and Fire and have been randomly reading up on histories, and two things jumped out at me:

When the First Men arrived at the Iron Isles they found a throne sitting on a beach, which the author mentions as having sparked legends of a possible 4th race on Westeros... Mermaids

and

There was a hastily written note following the burning of Summerhall by some maester, however most of his words were lost as he spilled his inkpot over the letter. What is decipherable, however, heavily suggests that Duncan was able to save (a possibly mad) Aegon, which I hope lends credence to my theory that Duncan, Egg, and Little Duncan left Westeros to have adventures is other parts of the world :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BillBear posted:

Talking about Stannis, I have a really bad feeling he won't survive the upcoming battle. There's NO way Bolton can lose the upcoming fight unless he decides "Hey, you know what would be cool? I'll just leave my huge heated fortress to go out and battle in the middle of a blizzard!" which, as we know is something Roose would never do (I know he sent out the Freys and some of Manderly's knights but most of his forces are inside WF). People often point out to me that Manderly is plotting treason but he's currently knocked out and Roose knows he's plotting to depose him so I don't see that working out well for him. Stannis has less men, is starved and his army's morale is plummeting rapidly, how the gently caress is he going to win? Not to mention Roose has one of the most formidable fortresses in the world.

I hope they do the battle in S5 or at least show us what Stannis has up his sleeve. Because I think it's the end for him unfortunately.

Is this book GoT, cuz I don't remember this from the show?

• Locked thread