Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well drat, that's certainly a card.

E: makes me wonder if there'll be a stance cycle of cards with an offensive and defensive mode

The Black Wrath is a modal spell also. Perhaps its a theme?

Reposted for new page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It's cuz the other choice is reforging your fate, duh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Fun fact, none of the cards revealed so far from Fate Reforged are good at dealing with Stormbreath Dragon.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

Reposted for new page:

Merry Christmas to me! White's my color, and I love to see it get some good conditional spells like this. It's always rough to strike a balance of removal and protection, now I don't have to choose (as much).

EDIT: I also love that it checks Toughness. White Weenie is happy to trade with a 4/2, but always has issues getting around a 2/4.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Reposted for new page:

Wait what black wrath? Am I missing something?

VV: Ah thanks, I'd forgotten about that, thought it was referring to a KTK card :downs:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 17, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Serperoth posted:

Wait what black wrath? Am I missing something?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

E: beaten by seconds!

U/W Heroic can choice to either kill your Siege Rhino or activate Heroic (perhaps as a sideboard card?). I'm sure you're all jumping with joy.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Calling it now: A card with "spells you cast have Entwine."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

It's cuz the other choice is reforging your fate, duh.

Well, I guess it is the easiest way for the game to show that kind of thing...

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dr. Stab posted:

Entwine needs a cost. Also unless they bring back Entwine I don't think they'll randomly toss it in on a single card.

A card that said "whenever you choose a mode, you may choose an additional mode" would be cool though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dr. Stab posted:

possibly you're joking, but that would be a templating nightmare.

I think the modal spells are more than one cycle, since we see two rarities, and it kind of plays into the theme of the set, history pivoting on which way things go, in the case of Crux literally deciding if the dragons or everyone else die.

Also, looks like Bolas is active on Tarkir, so I guess he gets a card on Fate or Dragons. I bet the FAQ on Crux will specifically say that Ugin and Bolas are not effected by it.

Stance seems playable in a bunch of decks, UW heroic will probably not mind dropping Ajani's presence for the option of killing some fatties dead.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Would you like a random FRF spoiler? Okay.

And the accidentally/maybe-on-purposely leaked article from Dec 29 that it was gotten from:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

The artstyle on this and the black wrath are making me hope slightly for a new Guay art slipping in. Sure two pictures out of a set isnt much, but they're both a bit more painting-ish than usual.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never seen Flusterstorm cast entirely for value on another storm spell on MODO because MODO forces you to manually target each copy and it always gets hosed up.

Well you see thats because the card just sucks unless you get super lucky and rip a timetwister or memoey jar or wheel of fortune, or mind twist workw too but not to a great extent. But basically at thatcpoint youre just playing a billion cantrips that chain together to dig for your value cards, and if you go through the jar and flutterstorm congrats they have aj empty board with random 7 cards or whatever amount they had before the jar which always forces a concede even if you have no win,con

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Angry Grimace posted:

Holy christ thats a good card

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just realised it makes Brimaz a bit less good. :(

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Doesn't beat Hornet Nest

:dukedog:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

:siren: MTGO Alert: Log into your MTGO account today - get 16 phantom points applicable towards the Holiday Cube releasing tomorrow :siren:

quote:

"It's the season of giving on Magic Online! As a thank you to all of our players, anyone who logged in between Wednesday, November 26, and the downtime on Wednesday, December 17, will be granted 16 Phantom Points and a premium Everflowing Chalice after the downtime. If you're really in the holiday spirit, those Phantom Points might go nicely with the upcoming Holiday Cube.

Thank you for playing, and happy holidays from Magic Online!"

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Archenteron posted:

The artstyle on this and the black wrath are making me hope slightly for a new Guay art slipping in. Sure two pictures out of a set isnt much, but they're both a bit more painting-ish than usual.

The reason Guay hasn't been in recent Magic sets isn't because her style wouldn't fit, it's because she doesn't want to. There has been a bunch of traditionally painted artwork in the past few years, including multiple works by Willian Murai.

The two-option modal spells are definitely going to be a thing in Fate Reforged because of their "choose your fate" flavor, so far we've seen "Kill all dragons or kill everything else" and "Save your friend or slay the dragon".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Modal spells as a theme is going to rule.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

As much as I enjoy my Courser of Kruphix, the amount of information it gives away has really put a damper on how many of them I'm playing these days. That modal spell won't help, either.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Modal spells as a subtheme seems like a recipe for broken bullshit but it's cool as all hell so who cares.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Modal spells as a theme is going to rule.

Agreed. This is cool design.

I want better less homogeneous art though. :'(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zorak posted:

Modal spells as a subtheme seems like a recipe for broken bullshit but it's cool as all hell so who cares.

Its in the same block as Treasure Cruise, Jeskai Ascendancy and Dig Through Time. Seems like it'll fit right in.

(Please reprint the Command Cycle, WOTC, its totally fine)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

wiskibubbles posted:

That's just straight up mean. I watched a kid try to play a lovely version of loam and not have a firm grasp on dredge mechanic

A few weeks ago at legacy, we were 1 person short of firing, so my friend let one of the Modern regulars who had never played Legacy his other deck to play. That other deck? Solidarity.

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never seen Flusterstorm cast entirely for value on another storm spell on MODO because MODO forces you to manually target each copy and it always gets hosed up.

In one of the last games of the VSL, Smennemnemen managed to Flusterstorm LSV's own Flusterstorm perfectly. Last time I tried it let me pick targets for 2 copies and decided the other 8 would go wherever.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Modal cards are awesome and if this set has a modal subtheme 1) it'll be totally loving sweet and 2) it's likely to produce at least a couple of powerhouse cards.
I want to see some rare charms that aren't Commands someday. Or Commands, but with a different blue one, like when they reprinted the Leyline cycle.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Modal cards are awesome and if this set has a modal subtheme 1) it'll be totally loving sweet and 2) it's likely to produce at least a couple of powerhouse cards.
I want to see some rare charms that aren't Commands someday. Or Commands, but with a different blue one, like when they reprinted the Leyline cycle.

Cryptic is the best one, but its not what I'd call broken in Standard, or anywhere really. The UUU color requirement is a total pain in the rear end.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

As good as Cryptic is, I don't feel like it would bust open the format (that being said, I didn't play with it when it was legal). I also don't think its out of the question for a re-print, as Thoughtseize shows they are definitely okay putting the occasional bonkers card back in standard.

Is it weird I don't see Profane Command getting a standard reprint? It has Fear on it, which, to my understanding, is a deprecated keyword. I don't think they'd want to bring it back just to complete a cycle.

That being said, if Cryptic is printed I'm instantly dropping Abzan and picking up control because gently caress yes.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

toadee posted:

The correct answer is always Doomsday
I've got this proxied up and often hand it out to experienced players to either goldfish or play against my standard deck. Most of them can't even figure it out. I had one guy resolve Doomsday and then ask me where the lab maniac was because he wouldn't figure out how to win with tendrils. Most people also try for a pass the turn pile, but then gently caress up and don't have enough storm.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

This card is going to make U/W Heroic even harder to deal with. It's probably going to replace the 1W Indestructible and +1/+1 counter combat trick.

It's going to be a really cool card for limited because it can play a role in both aggro and control decks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wizards please reprint Jitte in the modal set. Obviously for flavor reasons, it would have to be a functional reprint of Jitte.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ojetor posted:

Entwine needs a cost. Also unless they bring back Entwine I don't think they'll randomly toss it in on a single card.

A card that said "whenever you choose a mode, you may choose an additional mode" would be cool though.

I'm not entirely sure how the templating would work, let alone what color you'd put that effect in (Blue probably), but unless it was overcosted or extremely color-intensive (costing WUBRG) it would be busted.

Looking at the main modal spells currently in Standard, the Charms, we see:
  • Abzan: Sure I'd love to exile your big guy and make one of my guys better or draw 2 cards.
  • Jeskai: Again getting rid of your creature and making one of mine better or, more likely, just smacking you for 4.
  • Mardu: Yet again getting rid of a creature and either putting up blockers or taking a card from your hand... for value.
  • Sultai: Still probably the least impressive but destroying something and then looting is pretty good. Destroying 2 things is also OK.
  • Temur: Also still not the best but Mana Leak + creature removal or creature removal plus evading chump blockers is still pretty good.
For 3 mana.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but Charms (and modal stuff in general) are good when you only get 1 option per cast. Getting 2 would make them ridiculous.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

On a (Legendary?) artifact creature maybe?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Kabanaw posted:

The reason Guay hasn't been in recent Magic sets isn't because her style wouldn't fit, it's because she doesn't want to. There has been a bunch of traditionally painted artwork in the past few years, including multiple works by Willian Murai.

The two-option modal spells are definitely going to be a thing in Fate Reforged because of their "choose your fate" flavor, so far we've seen "Kill all dragons or kill everything else" and "Save your friend or slay the dragon".

This is just my suspicion, but I suspect that the biggest factor is money. Wotc pays, I believe, a flat rate on art, and I'm pretty sure Guay makes much more with her current work and projects. If they had more money to throw around, I bet they good get her to do some cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Reposted for new page:

Well thats a first pick.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Calling it now, modal matters. Something is going to get printed as "You may eliminate an option from any modal spells any opponent casts." Maybe as a planeswalker emblem? A really boring one?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Frgrbrgr posted:

Calling it now, modal matters. Something is going to get printed as "You may eliminate an option from any modal spells any opponent casts." Maybe as a planeswalker emblem? A really boring one?

I don't know if that would work in the rules. The closest existing card would be something like Magical Hacker and that's silver-bordered.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't know if that would work in the rules. The closest existing card would be something like Magical Hacker and that's silver-bordered.

An emblem with "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you make all decisions with regards that spell" might work? It goes way beyond modal spells though and does become a permanent Mindslaver-lite effect (they cast Bolt, you decide what it targets), ultimate-worthy but also not entirely unbeatable especially against a creature-heavy deck.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Kabanaw posted:

Since I have too much time on my hands, I went through the artists for Standard. Or all the artists who did cards beginning with A, because there are limits.

I make it:

9 artists who do their work wholly or almost wholly traditionally.
5 artists who switch between digital and traditional.
30 artists who do their work wholly or almost wholly digitally.

Depending on just how you want to count the ones who can't make up their minds, it ends up between about 30 and 40 per cent traditional artists. Which is well over the going rate for professional illustration these days. Using the pool of any cards in Standard illustrated by the artists above, traditional art to digital art comes in the same 30-40% range, and traditional artists get a slightly higher ratio of cards on average, compared to the digital artists.

Murai's illustration work seems actually to be digital, by the way, and there are quite a few other 'painterly' digital artists in Magic's stable for fans of that style too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Since I have too much time on my hands, I went through the artists for Standard. Or all the artists who did cards beginning with A, because there are limits.

I make it:

9 artists who do their work wholly or almost wholly traditionally.
5 artists who switch between digital and traditional.
30 artists who do their work wholly or almost wholly digitally.

Depending on just how you want to count the ones who can't make up their minds, it ends up between about 30 and 40 per cent traditional artists. Which is well over the going rate for professional illustration these days. Using the pool of any cards in Standard illustrated by the artists above, traditional art to digital art comes in the same 30-40% range, and traditional artists get a slightly higher ratio of cards on average, compared to the digital artists.

Murai's illustration work seems actually to be digital, by the way, and there are quite a few other 'painterly' digital artists in Magic's stable for fans of that style too.

Right, I meant more by style than by the actual medium, if something has a painted look I don't really care if it was done on an easel with paint or on a tablet with photoshop. I didn't know that it was done digitally though, it's done well enough I couldn't easily tell.

• Locked thread