Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Unless Microsoft figures out a way to brainwash us all into accepting the Surface as our new personal savior. Desktop PCs will still have a place. Not to mention that the computer gaming industry probably does not want to adapt to a tablets more limited specs and input options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Unless Microsoft figures out a way to brainwash us all into accepting the Surface as our new personal savior. Desktop PCs will still have a place. Not to mention that the computer gaming industry probably does not want to adapt to a tablets more limited specs and input options.

I really hope the tech does well. I'd love to have a tablet that can run PC games on a whim.

I guess what I want is a standardized OS so if the specs work out I can load it on my tablet as well as my PC. At the very least this would make coding easier.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been wanting a phone that I can just plug my keyboard/mouse/monitors in and it doubles as a desktop PC.

When smartphones happened, I thought it wasn't long now. I've been waiting for >5 years, and nobody even mentions that kind of functionality that except ubuntu phone which is vapourware :(

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

I've been wanting a phone that I can just plug my keyboard/mouse/monitors in and it doubles as a desktop PC.

When smartphones happened, I thought it wasn't long now. I've been waiting for >5 years, and nobody even mentions that kind of functionality that except ubuntu phone which is vapourware :(

Install a mini HD projector into my phone so I can project a 20"+ screen onto a flat surface and you got yourself my dream tech.

Just get home and put my phone on a charge pad that instantly connects it to a mouse/keyboard and speakers. Projector turns on, or optional wireless video stream to a monitor already in place.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Support-wise, I don't see much a distinction between a laptop, desktop, or tablet these days. 95% of the work is software-related, not swapping out parts.

Truga posted:

Motorola made a phone that had a laptop dock thing, it was pretty much a netbook.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

sfwarlock posted:

I was way overqualified for my foot-in-the-door position at my next-to-last job. I just worked my way up. Maybe he's trying to pull the same thing.

Overqualified in the sense they're not going to accept the rate HR is pushing :negative:

And as to the Cyber Security job I'm leaning towards the "nobody wants him" as there are some jobs listed on his resume that are less that 3 months.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

sfwarlock posted:

I was way overqualified for my foot-in-the-door position at my next-to-last job. I just worked my way up. Maybe he's trying to pull the same thing.

Sometimes this can work, though its rare.

My current gig, I was hired for a position iw as severely overqualified for, but the director of the hiring manager met with me during my interview and basically said, "you are overqualified for this, but there are openings that will happen in 6-9 months we want you for."

Those openings came less than 3 months after I was hired, which was fine by me. You never know.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kurieg posted:

Thing is, the Surface Pro 3 loving owns. Too bad the first one had such a bad rep (and all that poo poo where there was the regular version and RT version didn't help either) that it soured a lot of people on it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thing is, the Surface Pro 3 loving owns. Too bad the first one had such a bad rep (and all that poo poo where there was the regular version and RT version didn't help either) that it soured a lot of people on it.

Hmm, they rush hot garbage out the door, it performs like hot garbage, and after two more years of development that they should have spent in the first place they finally have a product worth a drat. Sounds familiar.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have gotten Surface Pro 3's for execs at my job and it does indeed own. Not very drop proof though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

Hmm, they rush hot garbage out the door, it performs like hot garbage, and after two more years of development that they should have spent in the first place they finally have a product worth a drat. Sounds familiar.

Pretty much almost every hardware release ever in the last 5 years.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Probably just wants to find a low key job for his salty years.

I think I'm going to be a PC tech(or whatever the equivalent is 20 years from now) when I retire. Not out of any desire to keep my hand in, but just so I can have something to do that keeps me busy and I don't give a poo poo if I get fired or not.

We've got a guy like that, doing desktop support because retirement was boring. He knows his poo poo, doesn't stress about the job, and is great with users. The powers that be keep trying to promote him, but he just likes walking the halls and interacting with people.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Staffer walks up to our service counter, hands me a thing and asks if "I can wipe this old hard drive". No I cannot, because this is an optical drive and there's no data on it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Weird request, maybe you guys know of a way to do this.

So after my mass email fiasco I now have over 700 bounced emails from stale addresses in our environment. Is there a program or script that will go through each email and pull the email address into a text file? That way I can just do a compare against the list and remove all the stale addresses.

I know there are sites out there that will scan my list but the boss doesn't want the email list to be released outside the company for privacy concerns.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

Weird request, maybe you guys know of a way to do this.

So after my mass email fiasco I now have over 700 bounced emails from stale addresses in our environment. Is there a program or script that will go through each email and pull the email address into a text file? That way I can just do a compare against the list and remove all the stale addresses.

I know there are sites out there that will scan my list but the boss doesn't want the email list to be released outside the company for privacy concerns.

just use a regex to find them!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

This would work to make sure it's a valid syntax xxx@xxx.xxx. I have valid email syntax's with expired domains so they bounce.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

This would work to make sure it's a valid syntax xxx@xxx.xxx. I have valid email syntax's with expired domains so they bounce.

Right, but if you run it against the bounced email you should find all of the email addresses?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

m.hache posted:

The regex is still what you want. The regex will pull out the string you want once it finds a match.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Right, but if you run it against the bounced email you should find all of the email addresses?

I suppose I mis-interpreted the tool. I didn't realize I could run it against 600 email messages and it'd strip the emails from the headers.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

I suppose I mis-interpreted the tool. I didn't realize I could run it against 600 email messages and it'd strip the emails from the headers.

I mostly-jokingly linked to the regular expression to find most-all email addresses in an arbitrary string. Finding email addresses is kind of a pain in the rear end.

You would need to dump the headers to a text file and write a regex parser to find everything.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I mostly-jokingly linked to the regular expression to find most-all email addresses in an arbitrary string. Finding email addresses is kind of a pain in the rear end.

You've put me on a roller coaster ride of emotion.

EDIT: So I just figured out I can export all the bouncebacks into a CSV and it pulls all the emails. Strip out the columns I don't need, run a text compare on my list and BAM, cleaned out list.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 16, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A ticket came in, but thankfully not to my unit, every single network drive is down. The server team says it's due to a "hardware failure", and they'll be down for the next several hours. In the mean time I guess I'll be sitting around a bunch since all our driver packages, tracking spreadsheets, and just about everything else we need are on those drives. Thankfully the Internet proxy's still up.

On top of that every bathroom in the building was out of order for about two hours this morning because the sewer line backed up, but luckily no one called IT for that.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

On top of that every bathroom in the building was out of order for about two hours this morning because the sewer line backed up, but luckily no one called IT for that.
sounds like a pretty lovely morning

:downsrim:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
THIS IS AFFECTING DEFECATION!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
That should be the day where you make an anonymous coffee donation to the office.

Just to watch the world burn.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We've got a guy like that, doing desktop support because retirement was boring. He knows his poo poo, doesn't stress about the job, and is great with users. The powers that be keep trying to promote him, but he just likes walking the halls and interacting with people.

I would seriously do this if I won the lotto

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

m.hache posted:

That should be the day where you make an anonymous coffee donation to the office.

Just to watch the world burn.

5lb bag of sugar free gummi bears, surely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Support-wise, I don't see much a distinction between a laptop, desktop, or tablet these days. 95% of the work is software-related, not swapping out parts.

Motorola made a phone that had a laptop dock thing, it was pretty much a netbook.

A very poo poo netbook. The Atrix is what soured me on android phones being usable (and yes, I know it's lightyears better now, but I have a solution and workflow that work for me)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

5lb bag of sugar free gummi bears, surely.

Sugar free gummi bears are the best gummi bears. :3:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Inspector_666 posted:

..that and to hear the lamentation of your users "why is this stuff so hard?", when you tell them they have to fill in their email and password to get their BYOD onto the network.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 17, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

IndustrialApe posted:

..that and to hear the lamentation of your users "why is this stuff so hard?", when you tell them they have to fill in their email and password to get their BYOD onto the network.

Your reply should be: "You're a university student, you should have the mental faculties to deal with this."

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
...even better is when you can go "you're a CS student, have a *little* pride!".
Best people are the biology students who basically want their notebook to have a fuzzy fur, some ears and to make squeaky noises when they pet it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

Motorola did this a while ago, but any of the phones that actually supported Webtop are either really old, or had the feature removed when their Android version was upgraded. It was a separate Ubuntu environment.

You could get a dock exactly like you describe, and there was also a Lapdock, so you could basically dock your phone into a netbook shell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I remember those and wanting to buy them, but reading everywhere that they were bad (also, as you say, broken after android updated).

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

"Can I get my personal phone enabled to use the company wifi while I'm aboard for work."
"Sure, what's it's name so I can set permissions."
"Daddies iphone."

Had to stifle a giggle there. I'm such a child.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IndustrialApe posted:

Best people are the biology students who basically want their notebook to have a fuzzy fur, some ears and to make squeaky noises when they pet it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

drat you. Now I need to find this for my wife.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

This is weird, why are there 4000 sent items in the mailbox for our cloud hosted service desk system. Should be only a few dozen.

Oh, it appears someone (I know exactly who) logged a call with the user as the name of mailbox, which has a bunch of auto-reply rules set up. When they closed the call an email was sent to the helpdesk address informing it that it's call is closed. However the system cannot update closed calls, and has a rule to reply as such informing the user. Which is the helpdesk. Who can't update that call because it's closed and will now reply informing them as such. Repeat every minute.

Time to fire off incident 45 with our vendor asking them to fix the rules, as I'm not allowed access to them. I'm fairly sure by this point I'm actually on their poo poo list and another forum somewhere else someone is posting, "That loving asshat has sent ANOTHER email about his busted servicedesk. If only they loving set it up right in the first place they wouldn't have so many issues." He would be correct, but that's the joy of inheriting a system with zero documentation set up by someone who has left!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

LordVorbis posted:

This is weird, why are there 4000 sent items in the mailbox for our cloud hosted service desk system. Should be only a few dozen.

Oh, it appears someone (I know exactly who) logged a call with the user as the name of mailbox, which has a bunch of auto-reply rules set up. When they closed the call an email was sent to the helpdesk address informing it that it's call is closed. However the system cannot update closed calls, and has a rule to reply as such informing the user. Which is the helpdesk. Who can't update that call because it's closed and will now reply informing them as such. Repeat every minute.

Time to fire off incident 45 with our vendor asking them to fix the rules, as I'm not allowed access to them. I'm fairly sure by this point I'm actually on their poo poo list and another forum somewhere else someone is posting, "That loving asshat has sent ANOTHER email about his busted servicedesk. If only they loving set it up right in the first place they wouldn't have so many issues." He would be correct, but that's the joy of inheriting a system with zero documentation set up by someone who has left!

Send them this: http://www.iana.org/assignments/auto-submitted-keywords/auto-submitted-keywords.xhtml
I bet they aren't properly following that, nobody really does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

drat you. Now I need to find this for my wife.
Unfortunately the only source I could find was a defunct etsy store.

• Locked thread