Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Locator posted:

Texas cop pulls over 76 year old man because the cop didn't understand that dealer plates are exempt (no inspection sticker), and then tries to grab a paper out of the guys hand, and when unsuccessful (because old dudes don't give a gently caress and aren't going to take poo poo from a 23 year old punk even if he is a cop), takes the old man down and tazes him. Twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVNwPD7CPR8

Totally reasonable use of force. :rolleyes:

Video is labeled 73 year old man, but the stories about this say he is 76, as does the man himself.

YouTube says the video is disabled. Bit think clearly, this is important:

Was the old man white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Was the old man white?
The text at the beginning is explaining what the video is, it's not an error message.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Video works fine for me when I use that link in a new browser.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Was the old man white?

His hair is! :rimshot:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trabisnikof posted:

Freakonomics is full of bullshit you say? Well, I never!

Well, I mean it sounds like something that was made up wholesale based on the author's perceptions of 'thug' culture and a few nuggets he might have gleaned from watching scared straight a few times.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Texas cop pulls over 76 year old man because the cop didn't understand that dealer plates are exempt (no inspection sticker), and then tries to grab a paper out of the guys hand, and when unsuccessful (because old dudes don't give a gently caress and aren't going to take poo poo from a 23 year old punk even if he is a cop), takes the old man down and tazes him. Twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVNwPD7CPR8

Totally reasonable use of force. :rolleyes:

Video is labeled 73 year old man, but the stories about this say he is 76, as does the man himself.

I love the old guy that comes along and starts scolding the officer for what he's doing about halfway through.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Misogynist posted:

The text at the beginning is explaining what the video is, it's not an error message.

Maybe it's a mobile browser thing, but it gives an error message when I try to play it with the YouTube app. It directs me to the right video; it just says it's "not available".

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/justice/walmart-shooting-john-crawford/index.html?c=homepage-t

The transitive property of police violence. Handcuffing a little girl, interrogating the girlfriend of a innocent man. I wonder how the girlfriend fared after officer liang murdered her boyfriend in front of her.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

DARPA posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/justice/walmart-shooting-john-crawford/index.html?c=homepage-t

The transitive property of police violence. Handcuffing a little girl, interrogating the girlfriend of a innocent man. I wonder how the girlfriend fared after officer liang murdered her boyfriend in front of her.

quote:

As she cries, the detective appears unconvinced.

"Why would he have a gun in the store?" he asks.

"I don't know," she replies.

"Did he carry a gun?" the detective continues.

"Not that I....I've never known him to have a gun," she says.

Her response appears to upset the detective.

"Don't tell me, 'not that you know,' because that's the first thing that I realize that somebody's not telling me the truth, when they say that kind of stuff," Curd says.

By the end of the six-minute excerpt of the 90-minute interrogation posted by The Guardian, Thomas sobs as she buries her head in her hands.

The detective says he'll write down her testimony, but then asks whether she's under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

"Your eyes are kind of messed up looking and you seem a little lethargic at times," he says, "and I don't know if it's because you're upset or not. I just want to make sure what's going on."
:downs:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Clearly treating that woman like that (while knowing they killed a man with a toy) was due to their training so they are not responsible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

Clearly treating that woman like that (while knowing they killed a man with a toy) was due to their training so they are not responsible.

The interrogator is saying he didn't know the gun was a toy at the time he was interrogating her.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

The interrogator is saying he didn't know the gun was a toy at the time he was interrogating her.

Sheer incompetence all around then? Well that's comforting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Sheer incompetence all around then? Well that's comforting.

Seriously. What's the use of interrogating someone when the most basic evidence (the gun supposedly used by offender) isn't known by the officer. Even if he didn't know what's the point of trying and freaking her out with threats because she looked like she was on drugs (bullshit)? It's obviously CYA procedure since why on earth would you start interrogating the girlfriend of a man that was shot with a toy gun in the first place??

Police use incompetence as an excuse for their malevolence getting away with stuff way too much.

"I didn't mean to do that, I'm just such an idiot, people die from my mistakes."
"Ok, no problem!"

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 16, 2014

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Radish posted:

Seriously. What's the use of interrogating someone when the most basic evidence (the gun supposedly used by offender) isn't known by the officer. Even if he didn't know what's the point of trying and freaking her out with threats because she looked like she was on drugs (bullshit)? It's obviously CYA procedure since why on earth would you start interrogating the girlfriend of a man that was shot with a toy gun in the first place??

Police use incompetence as an excuse for their malevolence getting away with stuff way too much.

"I didn't mean to do that, I'm just such an idiot, people die from my mistakes."
"Ok, no problem!"

Yeah, it's really hard not to assume that's bullshit and they were trying to get anything incriminating that might begin to justify what happened, or tarnish his reputation. Hell, she wasn't even there with him, just on the phone. Hell, it wasn't even just Crawford who died, a woman had a heart attack and died too. If he didn't know, that was surely by design of the others involved.

You think ol' 911 calling hero Ronald Ritchie got interrogated like that? Or interrogated at all?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's like when they didn't intercept the drug mule package being delivered to the Maryland mayor's house in time and his mother in law accidentally picked it up and they stormed in and shot his dogs. Their immediate action was to ransack the house even though they knew the people living there were patsies and had nothing to do with it. Cops are all about CYA first when they gently caress up and if people get hurt, their property destroyed, or ruined as a result oh well.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

It should have been pretty easy to figure out the gun was fake, it would have still had the price tag on it.

Of course, the cops would have had to take the time and *look* which they weren't willing to do before they killed Crawford so I guess it wasn't worth bothering to look at *after* he was shot, either. "Just tag it and bag it"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm sure they knew afterwards, but they had to create the illusion that they were justified in their killing long enough for the media narrative of "Cops heroically stopping spree shooter before any casualties" to get out there before the truth in order for people to be purposely misinformed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

It should have been pretty easy to figure out the gun was fake, it would have still had the price tag on it.

Of course, the cops would have had to take the time and *look* which they weren't willing to do before they killed Crawford so I guess it wasn't worth bothering to look at *after* he was shot, either. "Just tag it and bag it"

According to the police, the gun had been originally packaged in a box and had been removed. There would have been no price tag on the gun.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

According to the police, the gun had been originally packaged in a box and had been removed. There would have been no price tag on the gun.

So maybe we can swap out their assault rifles with toys and save lives, and they'll never be the wiser.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

DrNutt posted:

Well, I mean it sounds like something that was made up wholesale based on the author's perceptions of 'thug' culture and a few nuggets he might have gleaned from watching scared straight a few times.

He's fairly famous for doing sociological research on gang culture and actually interacting with gang members. There's questions over whether he has embellished some of that research but I don't think anyone disputes he has considerable experience of interacting with low ranking urban criminals such as those featured in the article or The Wire.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Herc and Carver didn't accidentally steal money, they found bundles of cash in a stash house and stuffed them behind in their vests. In the last season, there was a cop who straight-up robbed a kid for his chain. McNulty ackowleged that he was an rear end in a top hat, but it was in the context that they worked separate beats, and there was no way for McNulty to do anything about it.

Carver develops a conscience throughout the series. Daniels has developed one prior, although it grows throughout the show. McNulty is almost amoral, Freeman is willing to break certain rules to catch a known multiple murderer. Both of them are drummed out at the end. This is not a pro-cop piece of art. The most human character in the whole show is Omar. Just because there's a distinction between this and Red Riding doesn't mean it gives the cops a pass.

The bad beat cop that appeared in the last two seasons seemed more of a reaction to criticism that the cops were so clearly shown to be good guys prior to that. Even then they serve as something as a contrast to the virtuous rule bending of the other police characters. The police brutality is shown in general to be justified, Bodie gets beaten up but we know he is a criminal that beat up Bubble's friend at that point, Kima beats on the kid because they attacked first and so on. By contrast politicians are shown to be so corrupt Sabotka has to smuggle drugs to get the bribes necessary for genuine improvements for the docks, journalists so ignorant they don't know who major figures in the underworld are and the lying journalist promoted and rewarded while McNulty and Freamon are drummed out for the same lies etc etc.

As I said though, I don't think the show was pro-cop, just that it was much milder on the police than the other strata of Baltimore. Thus Wendell Pierce being murdered by a police would've been jarring to fans of The Wire who may have given a quite a positive view of the police away from the show.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Radish posted:

Police being incompetent is now enshrined as totally fine by SCOTUS, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah sorry RGB but Sotomayor is the new sheriff in town.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Hell, she wasn't even there with him, just on the phone.

This was his girlfiend, who was in the store. Crawford was on the phone with his ex-gf.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Py-O-My posted:

This was his girlfiend, who was in the store. Crawford was on the phone with his ex-gf.

Ah, didn't realize that was the case, had never seen mention of him being there with someone even. Not that it justifies any bit of her interrogation or that they were so incompetent to not only shoot a man holding a toy on sight, but also supposedly unable to even examine the object they shot him for holding.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I'm genuinely torn on this. On one hand, "the officer pulled over a dark grey sedan when the APB was for a dark blue sedan, therefore the trunk full of illegal machine guns can't be used against my client" is an absurd outcome, but on the other hand, the fact that the courts keep moving the line on what constitutes a "reasonable" police mistake means that there is essentially no remedy when an officer conducts an unjustified search.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It also seems extremely straightforward that if the police are allowed to make an illegal search when they "forget" the rules, they're allowed to make an illegal search.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

It also seems extremely straightforward that if the police are allowed to make an illegal search when they "forget" the rules, they're allowed to make an illegal search.

That's not the holding of that case, though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kalman posted:

That's not the holding of that case, though.

I apologize for misunderstanding the case, then, but it seemed as though they were saying that if probable cause for a search arises entirely out of a misunderstanding of the law then the search is still valid. Seems as though an officer can always, then, justify a search.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
The basic gist of that case is that police in NC had been pulling people over for having broken taillights for years and nobody had ever challenged it before, so the officer was acting in good faith when he pulled that guy over, so the stop was legitimate.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

deratomicdog posted:

The basic gist of that case is that police in NC had been pulling people over for having broken taillights for years and nobody had ever challenged it before, so the officer was acting in good faith when he pulled that guy over, so the stop was legitimate.

Now we understand the real reason why cops aren't indicted for shooting unarmed citizens.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

I apologize for misunderstanding the case, then, but it seemed as though they were saying that if probable cause for a search arises entirely out of a misunderstanding of the law then the search is still valid. Seems as though an officer can always, then, justify a search.

The key words are "objectively reasonable misunderstanding", meaning that what the officer who screwed up thought the law meant is essentially irrelevant. What matters is what your hypothetical reasonably good (officer or judge, it's not clear who just yet) would have understood the law to mean in that situation. If they would have misunderstood, and misunderstood in the same way as the officer, then it's okay. And the specific law in question really was unclear (are brake lights stop lamps, rear lights, or both? There's good arguments for each of those categories and it was only decided when the guy appealed the issue).

I mean, like most 4th Amendment stuff the way it's applied will determine how much it matters, but my suspicion is that it isn't going to have much impact since most officers are going to have a perfectly legit reason to make a pretextual stop anyways. Even if an officer wanted to game the system it's a lot easier to game it by waiting for someone to do some minor thing indisputably wrong than to get into a dispute about whether it was objectively reasonable to interpret the law the way it was interpreted by the officer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In the specific case that was brought to the Supreme Court the person actually consented (or was not aware that they could withhold their consent) to the search in question, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

prom candy posted:

In the specific case that was brought to the Supreme Court the person actually consented (or was not aware that they could withhold their consent) to the search in question, right?

That's correct. Although, had the officer not been wrong about the law there wouldn't have been a legal stop to ask for consent during.

Edit: I wish I could get police burden of proof:

quote:

The Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office has been investigating since the case came to its attention earlier this year but is not inclined to file charges, said Robin Lipetzky, the county's chief public defender. According to Lipetzky, the decision likely stems from evidence not strong enough to produce a conviction.

A search warrant affidavit obtained by this newspaper shows that Avila picked up a box containing about 4 to 5 pounds of marijuana from a UPS store on Nov. 25, 2013. Avila then radioed a dispatcher to say that he would file an incident report.

Avila never did so, according to the search warrant. Instead, in what several police sources have said is a violation of Richmond police policy, the marijuana ended up in his Oakley home instead of being placed into a department evidence locker.

The matter came to officials' attention after an officer was assigned in January 2014 to investigate Avila's alleged failure to write more than three dozen police reports, the warrant said.

As the investigation continued, internal affairs investigators informed Avila he would be placed on administrative leave for failing to file 37 reports, one of them the report of the marijuana he picked up at the UPS store. When questioned, Avila told investigators that he used 2 pounds of the marijuana to train his police dog in February 2014, and when pressed, he acknowledged there may be more in the trunk of his K-9 patrol car or at his house.

During their search, police found marijuana in the home.

(http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27148829/richmond-officer-found-marijuana-home-wont-face-charges)

Now before you call me a drug warrior, this cop stole evidence, lied about it, and was later found with said evidence but will not be charged with a crime. Ignore the fact it was several pounds of weed (and that even in California that much weed could send you to prison).

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 17, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It was a non-violent drug crime, I think we can all agree this is the sort of thing that prosecutors should ignore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

It was a non-violent drug crime, I think we can all agree this is the sort of thing that prosecutors should ignore.

So you really think there should be no legal punishment for police stealing evidence just because they stole drugs?

Sorry! Poe's law lives in this thread.
\/

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 17, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
No, it was a sarcastic pisstake on AreWeDrunkYet's insistence earlier in the thread that prosecuting any non-violent drug crime was fundamentally immoral.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, it was a sarcastic pisstake on AreWeDrunkYet's insistence earlier in the thread that prosecuting any non-violent drug crime was fundamentally immoral.

Oh come on. That'd be criminal regardless of whether or not it involved drugs, and you know it. Fairly certain AWDY's point is about crimes that only exist because of drugs, not existing crimes that also involve drugs.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Cops mishandling evidence is a serious crime regardless of what evidence they stole. The fact that it was marijuana is incidental. Which you know full well.

But the reality is that cop-supporters are going to support cops regardless of whatever they do, which is yet another reason why American police should be subjected to federalization. I'd suggest beginning to do so by tying federal law enforcement funds to federal oversight. Do the exact same procedure that we've done with highways and schools and everything else. If cops want our money, they can play by our rules.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

8-1 ruling, jesus christ.

quote:

He dismissed the refrain “ignorance of the law is no excuse” as a maxim with “rhetorical appeal,” but not worthy of the court’s serious consideration, at least not when it comes to investigatory stops. “[J]ust because mistakes of law cannot justify either the imposition or the avoidance of criminal liability, it does not follow that they cannot justify an investigatory stop,” he writes.

"The law only applies if we're not trying to find something to arrest you for."

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Pomp posted:

8-1 ruling, jesus christ.

"The law only applies if we're not trying to find something to arrest you for."

It's ok no one actually read the entire decision except for the little excerpts that fit the narrative because oh boy there'd be nothing to post about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't really get why anyone would try to pull the bad apple defense against the plainclothes infiltration/interference in protests. Cops do that poo poo all the time, particularly here in Europe, and you can't just act like it's a sad coincidence - The foremost duty of police forces are the protection of the state, and they regard protest interference as a legitimate tactic to that end.

Either you're for police doing what they're trained and ordered to do, or you're not - pussyfooting around one tactic that they themselves consider acceptable really doesn't make sense.

• Locked thread