Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

8th-snype posted:

Too subtle even for the subtle movie moments thread. I would have completely missed this without the Generation Kill Av.

Haha, glad someone got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Stranger Than Fiction, Will Ferrel's character is starting to enjoy his life and is shown watching Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Specifically the Mr Creosote scene. Later, Dustin Hoffman is suggesting banal ways that people die such as having a heart attack in a bank, or choking on a mint.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda slow, but I was shopping when I finally noticed something in this poster.

Felt kinda dumb when it clicked. Big D, and then big EVIL.

:devil:

:doh:

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Not exactly subtle but I'm betting most people who saw Joe Dirt didn't get this reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvJai5IC6c

Kicking wing doesn't like fireworks that shoot into the air.

Wait, guy looks familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBEhz8vw2AM

In Smoke Signals, Thomas' parents were killed in a fire started by a roman candle.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Here's something I noticed re-watching Dredd yesterday, on the floor near the corpse:

Although I don't think the extra they cast is fat enough.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This has probably been mentioned in this very long thread before, hopefully not recently though!

I love how in The Departed Scorsese continually uses an X to foreshadow that death is coming, paying tribute to the 1932 Hawks film Scarface

Just a couple:

many more at this link
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/2007/01/x_marks_the_spo.html

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Some of the Sheep posted:

Here's something I noticed re-watching Dredd yesterday, on the floor near the corpse:
Nice. There were a bunch of neat touches like that, though I missed that one. Stuff like the flag in the classroom only having five stars or the Chopper graffiti.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Some of the Sheep posted:

Although I don't think the extra they cast is fat enough.

Wall-E reference? Nice if so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mng posted:

Wall-E reference? Nice if so.

Judge Dredd has a subculture called "Fatties" who are so fat they require that little one-wheeled device to hold their guts up and enable them to keep their balance.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I thought he was talking about how the shadow has a boner

Shatter Map
Nov 14, 2005

In Saving Private Ryan , each of the privates in Captain Miller's squad foreshadows how they will meet their death.

When the soldiers are pinned down by a German sniper in the French village, Private Jackson notices a bell tower in the distance and says "That's where I'd be". Private Jackson is later killed by a tank round while in a bell tower during the final battle in the third act

Private Mellish is handed a Hitler Youth knife shortly after the soldiers have secured the beachhead in the opening invasion sequence. He says "..yeah and now its a Kaballah cutter". Private Mellish is later stabbed to death by a knife

When the squad is first debarking across the French countryside to search for Ryan, Private Caparzo tells Corporal Upham to never salute Captain Miller because it makes his a target for sniper fire, "especially when I'm standing next to him" he adds... Caparzo is later killed by a sniper bullet

During the beach invasion, Wade the Medic is seen frantically trying to patch up a badly wounded soldier on the beach. He tells the soldier not to look at the wound . Wade is later shot and cannot address his injury because the round exited through his back and he can not see the exit wounds

Can anyone think of any other instances of this in the movie?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
In Gone Girl, during the flashback to when they first met at a party, the guy who's described as "bloviating about his postgrad dissertation on Proust" appears to be Neil Patrick Harris' character, who Amy later says "can discuss Proust in French".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In Nightcrawler, every time someone meets the main character, if they call him Louis he said "Call me Lou", and if they call him Lou he says "Call me Louis". Just another one of the ways he tries to always have the 'social upper hand'.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

TheChaosPath posted:

I thought he was talking about how the shadow has a boner

Ha, I didn't see that till you pointed it out. Wrong thread for that observation though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something neat I noticed in the new Hunger Games movie, Mockingjay Part I. One of the characters is an "avox," a former slave who had his tongue cut out and communicates through sign language. After Katniss joins the team, you see him signing to his brother in the background "Beautiful. Understand?" and his brother signs back "Yes." I thought that was kind of neat, especially because it's not really commented upon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is also the not so subtle moment where it's revealed that they're named Castor and Pollux. I guess the writer of the novels ran out of inspiration at that point when it comes down to names.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Or she had just seen Face/Off

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Something neat I noticed in the new Hunger Games movie, Mockingjay Part I. One of the characters is an "avox," a former slave who had his tongue cut out and communicates through sign language. After Katniss joins the team, you see him signing to his brother in the background "Beautiful. Understand?" and his brother signs back "Yes." I thought that was kind of neat, especially because it's not really commented upon.
that's a weird question to ask your brother.
UNDERSTAND?!?!?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fargo (the series) also has a couple of great sign language moments with mr. Wrench (who is deaf) and mr. Numbers. The translation provided by mr. Numbers differs wildly from what mr. Wrench is actually signing, and there's a great feeling that these guys have worked together for a long time, just by seeing how fluid the mistranslation is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

KozmoNaut posted:

Fargo (the series) also has a couple of great sign language moments with mr. Wrench (who is deaf) and mr. Numbers. The translation provided by mr. Numbers differs wildly from what mr. Wrench is actually signing, and there's a great feeling that these guys have worked together for a long time, just by seeing how fluid the mistranslation is.

There was actually someone on Reddit who would provide the actual translations of what they were saying, it was pretty interesting and was a nice touch seeing as it went uncommented on throughout the show.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheFallenEvincar posted:

that's a weird question to ask your brother.
UNDERSTAND?!?!?

It's more of just the way ASL works, like "do you understand what I am saying?" When written out literally, like how I did it, it's a lot less complex than spoken language, it's simplified and basically grammar-free to make it easier/quicker.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There probably isn't an official ASL sign for "nawmeen?"

Tom P. Baxter
Apr 26, 2005
How do you know my language!?!?!

Ignite Memories posted:

There probably isn't an official ASL sign for "nawmeen?"

Something like this would probably be expressed in body language and facial expression. Sign language is great like that. You can do that with spoken language too of course but it's a lot more necessary in sign language and makes it very fun to communicate with.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
What does "jerking off motion with right hand" signify in ASL?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That depends on context and body language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFgEGmAbJew

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

What does "jerking off motion with right hand" signify in ASL?

It means they are a big fan of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXy58hr8vc

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I recently watched Terminator 2, and while not very much of the movie is subtle, there was a shot that definitely was. Sarah Connor has just tried to assassinate Dyson in his home, and is walking in to finish the job. The pool is churning and roiling for no reason. You don't really notice it when you're watching the scene, because you're focusing on Sarah walking in to the house, but it really makes the scene have a sense of turmoil and action even when nothing is happening. I didn't even notice it until I was reading the IMDB trivia page and they mentioned it, and then it immediately stood out when thinking about the scene. It is only there to give action to an otherwise boring shot, and you don't notice it, but as they say, your brain does.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kruller posted:

I recently watched Terminator 2, and while not very much of the movie is subtle, there was a shot that definitely was. Sarah Connor has just tried to assassinate Dyson in his home, and is walking in to finish the job. The pool is churning and roiling for no reason. You don't really notice it when you're watching the scene, because you're focusing on Sarah walking in to the house, but it really makes the scene have a sense of turmoil and action even when nothing is happening. I didn't even notice it until I was reading the IMDB trivia page and they mentioned it, and then it immediately stood out when thinking about the scene. It is only there to give action to an otherwise boring shot, and you don't notice it, but as they say, your brain does.

I'm pretty sure that was a Jacuzzi, not a swimming pool.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a Jacuzzi, not a swimming pool.

Yeah I know exactly what he's talking about and I'm 99% it was a Jacuzzi. However, that's still a really great insight into the framing/direction of that scene--it's also something I never consciously picked up on, but it definitely adds to the scene. Not just in an action-y way, but it's a good visual complement to the chaos/turmoil inside Sarah Connor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's a big pool with underwater lighting, but the water isn't going crazy really. Just ripply.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

It's not a movie and it's not incredibly subtle, but season 1 of the Sopranos, when Tony finds out his daughter's soccer coach has been sleeping with one of the players on the team, there's an exchange in Dr. Melfi's office about why he wants to whack the guy:

quote:

Dr. Melfi – If you’re telling me of intent to harm this person, i must warn you of my duty to alert law enforcement.

Tony Soprano – I don’t know why i tell you anything.

Dr. Melfi – I’m interested in why you feel punishing this man falls upon you.

Tony Soprano – Well, it sure doesn’t fall upon you.

Dr. Melfi – What do you mean?

Tony Soprano – What would you do? You’d call the cops, who’d get some judge who’d give him psychiatric counseling. So maybe he could talk about his unhappy childhood and we could have sympathy for the gently caress’cause he’s the real victim here, right?

Emphasis mine. Just noticed this part and how it's basically the entire premise of the show.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Watching Gone Girl you can see that Amy is obsessed with the quality of her sheets and bedding, and that there's a little bit of a running theme with her and the comfort of her bed:

On their first date, when Nick is going down on her, there's close ups of her tightly gripping on her sheets.

She buys high-thread-count bedding for her and Nick's second anniversary.

The one thing she brings with her during her escape are replacement bedsheets for the crummy hotel bed she ends up staying in.

The only time she shows real emotion when Desi is rattling off the features of his lakehouse is when he talks about how amazing his bed is. She immediately collapses into it and mentions how she could sleep in it for days.

The first time we see Nick and Amy "honestly" talking to each other after her return - without pretense of keeping a secret - has her talking to Nick while wrapped up in her bedsheets.

Several of her fake diary flashbacks have her hiding from Nick in her bed.

I thought it was a nice little touch. :shrug:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I took N+1th Doctor to see Big Hero 6 today. In one of the early scenes, the main character is making a presentation on robotics and meets who I presume will be the antagonist. Another character goes into an awkward explanation of why likely future antagonist is not to be trusted.

The name of the room where this all happens: The Exposition Hall.

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004
In the Lego Movie, the 1980s space guy, the bottom of his space helmet is broken. Made me smile.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nth Doctor posted:

I took N+1th Doctor to see Big Hero 6 today. In one of the early scenes, the main character is making a presentation on robotics and meets who I presume will be the antagonist. Another character goes into an awkward explanation of why likely future antagonist is not to be trusted.

The name of the room where this all happens: The Exposition Hall.

Are you sure its not Exhibition Hall?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Are you sure its not Exhibition Hall?

Pretty sure. I'm looking for a clip of the scene now. Since it was only onscreen in the background for a few seconds, it seems like a pretty ripe spot for a throwaway gag like that.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Watching Gone Girl you can see that Amy is obsessed with the quality of her sheets and bedding, and that there's a little bit of a running theme with her and the comfort of her bed:

On their first date, when Nick is going down on her, there's close ups of her tightly gripping on her sheets.

She buys high-thread-count bedding for her and Nick's second anniversary.

The one thing she brings with her during her escape are replacement bedsheets for the crummy hotel bed she ends up staying in.

The only time she shows real emotion when Desi is rattling off the features of his lakehouse is when he talks about how amazing his bed is. She immediately collapses into it and mentions how she could sleep in it for days.

The first time we see Nick and Amy "honestly" talking to each other after her return - without pretense of keeping a secret - has her talking to Nick while wrapped up in her bedsheets.

Several of her fake diary flashbacks have her hiding from Nick in her bed.

I thought it was a nice little touch. :shrug:

can you not loving say 'gone down on her' its triggering me also stop with the loving spoiler i wanted to watch this film

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I agree it should read went down on her.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

docLeder posted:

In the Lego Movie, the 1980s space guy, the bottom of his space helmet is broken. Made me smile.

I had one of those guys and the plastic is really thin there, so yeah that was a nice touch. Hell, everything about that character was awesome. Charlie Day was perfect for that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

In Lego Movie when they are in the Wild West, WildStyle and Bad Cop (and everyone else) are clipped onto their horses like Lego figurines are supposed to be. Emmett on the other hand is just placed on top of the horse. Because he doesn't know how to ride one.

EDIT: When they get to the bar WildStyle also ties her horse up outside, while Emmett simply hops off and his horse runs away.

jabby has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Dec 26, 2014